• Published 23rd Jun 2018
  • 1,597 Views, 98 Comments

Oncoming Storm: Love and Wargames - Chengar Qordath



After Cloud Kicker and Rainbow Dash get into a lover's quarrel, the two of them have to settle their differences on the wargaming battlefield.

  • ...
12
 98
 1,597

Epilogue

Rainbow fought valiantly, but the match was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Not that Dash wasn’t good, but she’d gotten to the finals with luck, trickery, and her usual flavor of confidence that sometimes bordered on being arrogant or almost out-of-touch with reality. When it came to Nightmare Moon, Rainbow didn’t manage any lucky shots and she didn’t even try making out with me to throw the other woman off her game.

I’d asked Dad to take Sparks and our armies home while I stuck around. It was a pretty safe bet that Rainbow would need a bit of cheering up after getting second place. It probably bugged her more than if she’d just gone down earlier in the tournament, since she could’ve just laughed it off as not being that serious and that she’d just been in the game for fun. Making it to the finals was enough to get her fired up and competitive, and then it got snatched away.

I rubbed her shoulders as we stepped out into the parking lot. “Hey, don’t be so down. You still made it all the way to the finals.”

Rainbow sighed. “Yeah, I guess.”

I frowned and shifted a bit, wrapping an arm around her shoulders in a half-hug. “You okay?”

“M’fine.” She took a deep breath, then put her usual confident grin back in place. “C’mon, I’m not about to crack up just because I lost. I still got all the way to the finals, kicked butt and looked good doing it. I’d say we should go get pizza or something to celebrate, but I’m still kinda full from those wings.”

“I’m sure we’ll come up with something.” I grinned and bumped her hip. “Something we can do alone. Together. When our parents aren’t expecting us back for a while.”

Rainbow snorted and rolled her eyes, but she couldn’t keep a smile off her face. “Sounds like a plan to me.” She wrapped an arm around me in turn. “So I was thinking ... maybe I should come up with a persona and outfit like Nightmare Moon.”

“Oh yeah?” I smirked and poked her. “But you’re already awesome just as your normal self.”

“Awesomeness isn’t just an on or off switch, Kicker,” Rainbow explained. “There’s levels to it and variations and stuff. A good costume could help change things up, add a bit more gravitas to my setup. That’d be a great way to psych the other players out.”

“I guess that does make sense,” I conceded. “At least I can count on you not pulling a Sparkler and using it as an excuse to prance around half-naked.”

Rainbow groaned and rolled her eyes. “What is her deal anyway? I swear, she is such a teenager sometimes.” I was about to comment on that when she carried on. “And yes, I know it’s kinda weird to say that when we’re teenagers too, but come on. She stole one of your moms beers out of the fridge, she tries to get away with wearing skimpy clothes, and I’d bet she’s up to a bunch of other stuff we don’t know about.”

“Yeah, I get it.” I sighed and shrugged. “Aunt Wind thinks it’s a combination of a teenager thing, a middle child thing, and an adopted thing. Like, she’s kinda subconsciously testing Mom and Dad to see if they really love her, or if they’ll drop her back at the orphanage the first time she gets on their nerves.”

“Oh.” Rainbow went quiet, frowning to herself. “That’s ... actually kinda sad. I mean, wow. Think we can do anything to help?”

“Aunt Wind said it’s just something she’ll have to work through,” I answered. “Long as she doesn’t go too crazy, I figure the best thing to do is just kinda show that even if she’s a total brat who gets on our nerves, she’s still family.”

“Makes sense.” Dash and I were halfway back to my car when we heard the shop door opening up behind her. Rainbow spun around and grinned when she saw Nightmare Moon leaving, carrying her army in a fancy rolling case. “Hold up, Kicker. If I’m gonna do the whole costume thing I wanna ask a pro how she came up with that whole shtick.” I followed behind as Rainbow scampered over to the mysterious costumed woman. “Hey, hold up a sec!”

Nightmare Moon turned towards us, her barely visible lips curling up in a grin. “What is it you seek, mortal? Do you desire the infinite wisdom of Nightmare Moon?”

“Yeah, sure.” Rainbow grinned, looking over the elaborate costume. The whole cloak, robe, and armor combo were pretty impressive, even if it lost a bit of its dramatic glamour when Nightmare Moon was loading up the trunk of her car rather than making a dramatic entrance. All that black had to be nasty in hot weather, too. Dash took a moment to suppress her fangirl glee before continuing. “Just wanted to say that was a really good game. I’m really digging the whole get up and drama routine. How’d you come up with it?

“Ah, this.” Nightmare Moon took a deep breath and her posture shifted a bit, and when she spoke her voice wasn’t quite so dramatic. Guess that meant she was breaking character. “I got the idea from some old stories and comics, and some metal art covers. Mix it all together and add a bit of inspiration, and...”

“Cool.” Rainbow’s grin got bigger as she doubtless started throwing together ideas for her new outfit. “Loved the entrance, by the way. The laughter was a nice touch.”

“Thank you.” Nightmare Moon smiled back. “I decided if I was going to play up a character I might as well go all in. I didn’t spend hours making my costume just to be subtle with my performance. Besides, it’s far too much fun to go full ham and start chewing the scenery.”

“Yeah, you don’t do awesome by going halfway.” Rainbow frowned and rubbed her chin. “So now I gotta figure out what to do for myself. Sure, Rarity could probably make any outfit I came up with, but I don’t wanna bug her about that until I’ve got it all locked down. I’d do it myself, but ... well, last time I tried to do my own costume she freaked out and insisted on redoing everything at the last minute.”

“I saw that costume,” I shot back. “You needed the help. I mean, cyborg werewolf pirate is cool in concept, but it takes a lot of work to make it happen.” I grinned and pitched my voice to a fair imitation of our resident fashionista. “And worst of all, darling, the fake blood on your clothes was more of a scarlet when something like vermillion or crimson would have complimented things much better, darling.”

“Those are all just different names for red,” Rainbow grumbled under her breath. She shook her head and turned back to Nightmare Moon. “Anyway, I’ll come up with something in time for when I take you on next year. I’m gonna have to up my game though. And re-do the paint job on my army—I thought mine looked good, but yours was awesome. And some of those minis you had were sculpts from first edition!”

Nightmare Moon grinned. “I have been playing the game for long enough to have picked up quite a few of the older pieces. I actually have a lot more old ones I keep at home because they’re pewter. The sculpts and detailing are impressive, but molded plastic is far easier to carry around and doesn’t need quite as much repair-work.”

“No kidding,” I grumbled. I’d gotten used to including a spare superglue in my army’s traveling case for emergency repairs just in case anything got knocked loose in transit.

“So what’s the secret to getting as good as you?” Rainbow asked.

Nightmare Moon chuckled. “Practice. There’s no secret that will make you instantly beat everyone you play against. And really, you’re doing fine for someone who’s still fairly new to the game.” She grinned. “And you’ve certainly put together a very unique list. The current edition was a step up in most regards, but the meta’s heavy focus on theme lists has made it rare to see someone throw half a dozen disparate elements together, and even rarer for someone to do that and actually make it work.”

“Thanks! I, uh...” Rainbow frowned and started digging through her pockets. “Darn, I wish I had something to give you. You know, for being so cool and beating me and everything. All I got is this.” She pulled out a couple crumpled up coupons for jello she had left over from her rather considerable bulk purchase earlier this week. “Um, here. Better than nothing, right?”

Nightmare Moon frowned down at the coupon as if it had done something to offend her, then waved her off. “It’s quite alright, I don’t need anything. To be quite honest, I am almost tempted to share the gift certificate they were offering as a prize considering how often I’ve won the tournament.” She smirked, then repeated, “Almost. They did just release several new units for my army...”

Rainbow grinned and offered her hand. “Just remember, next time I’ll be ready for you.”

Nightmare Moon shook it. “I look forward to it.”

“Gotta get to the finals first, Dash,” I cut in. “And I don’t plan on losing to your exploding bears and ninja elves twice. I’ll be the one taking on Nightmare Moon.”

Rainbow grinned. “Well, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to have someone to help me warm up before we get to the main event. Besides, if we’re both gonna be changing things up and experimenting with new lists, it only makes sense to have a practice partner.”

“Trying out new stuff is where a lot of the fun comes in,” I agreed. “Whether it’s Dash finding a way to make all-out crazy work or me being a bit more grounded. I mean, even with my more focused list-building there’s plenty of room to try new things.”

“Yeah.” Rainbow smirked and bumped her hip against mine. “As long as we’re having fun, there’s no wrong way to do it.”

“Well, if it’s in a tournament we do kind of have to follow all the rules,” I pointed out. “I think your first half-dozen ideas for the Legion of Awesome involved lists that didn’t follow the force organization rules.” I was fine with ignoring one or two of those rules for a fun game between just the two of us, but when it was playing for keeps at an official event...

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “I meant more generally, butthead.” She smirked and tapped my nose. “And speaking of fun, maybe next time I pull a prank you’ll be smart and join up. If you’re gonna whine about my cover story, help me come up with a better one.”

I shrugged. “Maybe, depends on what you’re doing. If you want me to be your prank tactician, you gotta run those plans by me first.”

“Yeah, yeah...” Rainbow glanced down at Nightmare Moon’s army case. “You need any help getting that loaded up?”

“I've got it.” She took the case up to a car that looked vaguely familiar, though I couldn’t quite place it. She shut the army case in her trunk, then turned back to us. “Though if you’re going to do any more pranks, perhaps you shouldn’t do them at school.”

Rainbow scoffed. “But that’s the best place to...” She trailed off, frowning. “Wait, I didn’t say anything about the two of us doing any pranks at school.”

Nightmare Moon cleared her throat. “The two of you are obviously still school-aged. Where else would you be doing pranks?”

“At home?” I pointed out. “We’ve got time after school and on the weekends, and I’ve got two little sisters who deserve to be ruthlessly crushed for crimes of existing and being younger than me. And also bratty and stuff.”

“Plus it’s always fun to mess with your friends,” Rainbow pointed out. “Really, they’re the best ones to prank, since you know they’ll get that it’s all in good fun.” She frowned and shook her head. “And really, why would you even care if we’re doing pranks at school?”

I frowned and shook my head. “Okay, maybe I’m going crazy, but I could swear I’ve seen that car before.” I tried to think about it, but I couldn’t quite place it. There was definitely something familiar...

Nightmare Moon coughed and shuffled back. “Well, I better get going. There are some things I need to do around the house before the work week...”

Rainbow narrowed her eyes, studying her exposed jawline carefully. “So Kicker ... you think maybe you recognize her car from that time you parked in the faculty lot?” Nightmare Moon’s jaw twitched like she was struggling to restrain herself, and Rainbow’s eyes widened. “No way. It can’t be ... Vice-Principal Luna?!”

I stared at her for a bit. “Holy crap, you’re right!”

Nightmare Moon sighed and pulled her hood back, revealing her face. There was enough heavy makeup to obscure her features, but now that I knew she was Luna it was impossible to un-see it. “I suppose it was inevitable someone would recognise me, despite my best efforts.”

Rainbow stared up at her, struggling to come up with any words. I managed to recover a bit faster. “So ... wow. Okay, I have so many questions. Let’s start with something simple. What’s the deal with the costume?”

Vice-Principal Luna sighed and ran a hand through her hair. “It makes things far less complicated for everyone. Most of the other players here are either current students or recent enough ones that it would still be awkward for them if I walked into the store as ... myself. I would hardly want to ruin everyone’s afternoon just because I wanted a game.”

“Okay, I get that.” I certainly would’ve felt weird about trying to play the game against Luna, or even doing it while she was watching us. Shining Armor was probably the only player there who wouldn’t have been weirded out by the whole thing, and that was just because he went to Crystal Prep instead of CHS.

“Plus it’s one of those chain of command things Cloud’s always going on about,” Rainbow piped up. “You know, the whole ‘familiarity breeds contempt’ thing you always hear army guys talking about in movies.” I resisted the urge to point out that those two principles had nothing to do with each other. “Kinda hard to take the Vice-Principal seriously if you see her pitting her squad of mutant zombie ogres against a bunch of ninja elves.”

“Quite,” Vice-Principal Luna agreed. “That’s one of the reasons it’s always been something of an unwritten rule that students and school staff shouldn’t mingle outside school environs.”

“And breaking that rule would make the PTA a PITA,” I concluded.

“Language, Miss Kicker,” Vice-Principal Luna chided.

“I knew half the acronyms you used involved dirty words,” Rainbow mumbled, nudging me.

“But yes,” Luna continued. “Doubtless someone would make a fuss. And regardless, it’s not exactly fun if my students worry about playing their best because they don’t want me to hold a grudge, or letting me win in the hope of currying favor. Not that I would, but...” She shrugged helplessly. “The circumstances would make the entire situation very uncomfortable for all involved. Which is why I would prefer it if you two didn’t go all around school telling everyone about this.”

“Yeah. I guess it would suck if people overreacted and got you into a bunch of trouble over a little harmless fun.” Rainbow pointedly crossed her arms over her chest.

Luna turned to her with a raised eyebrow. “I think the school’s janitorial staff would disagree with your definition of ‘harmless’.”

“Still, maybe you could go a little easy on her?” I suggested. “I mean, it was just Rainbow being her usual awesome and kinda silly self. Maybe just do something like make her help clean up the pool instead? I’m sure she’s learned her lesson.”

“Yeah!” Rainbow nodded along. “I totally learned my lesson, and I promise I won’t do it ever again. Like Pinkie’d say, cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

Luna fixed the full weight of her skeptical gaze on Rainbow. “You were just discussing your plans for your next school prank with Cloud before you found out who I was.” Rainbow flinched and shuffled, prompting Luna to carry on. “I presume that what you are actually promising with that intentionally vague pronoun is that you’ll never turn the school pool into jello again, not that you won’t perform any more pranks at all.”

“Damn, she’s good,” Rainbow mumbled under her breath.

Luna sighed and leaned against her car. “That said ... plainly getting three weeks of detention has done nothing to deter you from pranking if you’re already planning your next stunt. In light of that, perhaps we should consider something a bit less conventional.”

Rainbow perked up, a cautiously optimistic smile working its way onto her lips. “Oh yeah?”

I saw an opening and took it. “She is a pretty good painter, and you did mention you were about to get a bunch of new models.”

Luna thought about it for a moment, then chuckled and nodded. “Well, I suppose there’s no harm in seeing what she can do. At the very least, she can take care of priming, assembling, glueing, and base-coating everything. It’s a better use for her time than what Ms Harshwhinny tells me she usually gets up to in detention.”

“Homework?” Rainbow suggested.

“Napping while trying to make it look like you’re doing homework,” Luna corrected. “Or trying to find ways of staving off boredom that aren’t quite noticeable enough to get caught. If you’re in detention, we might as well have you do something useful.”

“Works for me,” Rainbow agreed. “Maybe we can even fit in a couple practice games once all that’s done? I mean, what’s the point of new models if you can’t try ‘em out?”

“Perhaps,” Luna agreed with a faint grin. “Now if there’s nothing else, I do actually have other things I would like to take care of before the weekend is over.”

As Luna started to climb into her car Rainbow stopped her. “Hey, wait! Might wanna ditch the outfit, just in case anyone else recognizes you. I mean, if they see Nightmare Moon driving Luna’s car it’s not that hard to add two and two together.” She grinned as a new idea popped into her head. “Oooh! I just an awesome idea! You should get, like, a new super-secret Nightmare Moon Car with a custom paint job and stuff!”

Luna stared at her for several seconds, then sighed and shook her head. “You must think school administrators make far more than we actually do. I will see you two at school.” She grinned. “And at the gaming table, of course.”

I nodded along. “Looking forward to it.”

Rainbow smirked. “Next time I’ll be sure to kick your butt ... ma’am.”

Author's Note:

As always, thanks to my pre-reading and editing team for all their hard work. Also, I would like to thank all my dedicated Patreon supporters. You guys are awesome.

Click here if you want to join the list of awesome people who support my writing.

Aidan Hall
Albert Wen
Alt Grendel
Batbrony
Benjamin McLaren
BikerDash
Borg Lord
Brion Wauters
Charles M. Hagmaier
Chris Hall
ColdSilverD
Combine
Comma-Kazie
Creideiki
Cyanhyde
DaB.
Darkarma
Deep Cover
Dixie Daley
djthomp
dkia
Edmon Star
Emily Hartsay
Emlyn Costilow
Errant
FallenAngelXy
Forderz
Guldane
Jessica T
Mapguru
Peter Coulthard
Ponibius
Shank
Sweet Gale
Sylvain Colinet
Trinary
waritah
Web of Hope
Zennyth

Comments ( 19 )

A tad disappointed not to see how the game played out, but this was still pretty nice. That Sparkler thing was actually pretty deep, hope they do try and help her. Definitely want to see how Rainbows costume turns out. All in all, this was a pretty fun story. Until next time! :)

A delightful conclusion... though precisely how one makes a costume based on a dwarf-led army of ninja elves and bear grenades boggles the mind. :applejackconfused: Still, a happy ending for all, and one of the funniest takes on human Nightmare Moon I've ever seen. Thank you for it.

An adorably awesomely story, perfect for ClouDash. Principal Luna being an RP drama queen is just too damn funny to picture. It also makes Princess Luna's comment about the Faculty Parking Lot being a place of great power even more amusing!

9124134
The legion of awesome does not discriminate on such lines. The legion of awesome chooses their leader on pure Radicalness and Coolness!

Luna stared at her for several seconds, then sighed and shook her head. “You must think school administrators make far more than we actually do. I will see you two at school.” She grinned. “And at the gaming table, of course.”

“You’re new to the world of education, aren’t you?” Spike the Dragon 2018

I’d gotten used to including a spare superglue in my army’s traveling case for emergency repairs just in case anything got knocked loose in transit.

As a starship gamer, particularly, SO MUCH this.


(Though one of the very great advantages of my 3D printed stuff is, because it's all essentially hollow, it weigh bugger all and the magnabase I use keeps it solid to the point you can wave the box around and nothing falls over.)

Well, this was nice:twilightsmile: Good story, and I love the change of pace from the more epic confrontation stories.

Would love to see more of human sparkler. Been intrigued by that character since she showed up, and this last chapter gave some more insight.

9125944

Would love to see more of human sparkler.

There's more coming. :ajsmug: Stay tuned....

9127378
Awesome! If your stories with pony Sparkler are anything to go by, it's going to be a delightful punch in the heart that'll leave me smiling in the end. Can't wait. :twilightsmile: :pinkiesmile:

Need a prank tactician? Dash you need to stop ignoring the obvious solution and get Pinkie to help you.

9132023

It's NOT like Card/Board Games (with the exception of CCGs) or RPGs, where 1 person can have everything a group would need.

*looks at own 1400 starships in twenty-odd starfleets, 150 BattleTech models, seven 144th-scale ground forces*

Weeeeeellllll...



(Though yes, it can be expensive, depending on what you're playing, to get an army, especially if you insist on playing 28/30/35/whatever mm. But if you play something more sensible *ducks thrown objects from all the GW, Mantic and Warmachine players* like starships, you can get a starting fleet for about or around the same price you will pay for a video game these days (and I mean, like, sans DLC/season pass or any of that nonsense).)


In the UK of course, we have the massive, massive advantage that everything is close together. And, although venues are harder to find these days (because of the aformentioned space issues and peopel wanting to charge through the nose), a lot of places still have a local wargames club where they can play every week. I know you folks stateside often don't have that luxary.

There's the fact that it has heavy competitive stuff, which a lot of girls shy away from.

Again, really depends on who and what you're playing. I - and my group - are practically non-competative. Sure, you are playing to win[1] (unless you're playing a training game with someone), but it matters no one jot if you don't. (BattleTech aside - which is my occasional "don't have to do anything casual" game, everything we play is scenario related and ties into what is essentially a living universe.)

[1]Though in fairness, it might also be said that our games "win" is more like "solve the tactical puzzle," especially when playing groundside.

9132237
I didn't meant that LITERALLY no one had everything, but more like....technically when you're talking about a Basic Legal Set, that is ONLY enough army for MAYBE 1 person. Compared to something like Munchkin, Settlers of Catan, Power Grid, D&D, and more. In terms of Collectible Card Games, it's not uncommon that someone has multiple decks so someone can play with them. That and the starters are cheap enough at around $16 that you can easily afford 2. Plus for video games, I can pick up an indie game for $15 or less if it's on sale or on Humble Bundle. I rarely buy AAA type games that have/require expensive DLC and season pass type stuff, and when I do it's typically after the price drop. The only video game I have bought in a year or more that was over $30 was Monster Hunter World, which does NOT require or even have much for DLC, and what little there is you can easily ignore, AND there's no Season Pass.

NOT everyone has enough for 2+ players BY DEFAULT for miniatures or that they can easily carry like people do with CCG Boxes. Most people tend to carry like 1 army and even if they carry 2+ armies, how willing would they be to let some random person play with their stuff?

Well the thing about Video Games though is that you do NOT need much space to store them. Also you do NOT need to leave your house and spend extra money to enjoy them. If I buy Monster Hunter Online, Final Fantasy, or Mario Kart it's something I don't need to leave my house to play. I don't need to spend a bunch of time to get myself presentable to go out, on top of travel time, AND the larger chunk of time NEEDED in order to get my money's worth. That's on top of typically spending money to eat out, buy something even if it's just a soda from the store, etc. I mean ti's reasons like that, that I end up abandoning whatever CCG games I tend to buy after getting suckered in to buying stuff for them. Also let's not forget the cost of painting the models often times, though not everywhere requires you to do so, but then again if you plan on playing a lot you'll want to do. I mean a BASIC Starter Army for Warmachine is $40 and that is a VERY basic set. You want to add in enough to play what a typical person has who is NOT just starting out and then you're probably talking about $50-$60 which is the price of a AAA game brand new. Throw in a Medium High Army and I imagine you're looking at a AAA Game + Season Pass or some DLC here. Plus with Video games all you need is MAYBE an extra controller or few, FAR cheaper than buying starter armies. For Card/BOard Games or RPGs they are specifically MADE for 2-6 people right out of the box (Most games have 4 some have up to 6).

Sure there are places even around here that you can get some games in, BUT what I was getting at was that NOT every Game Store has the space for it, like they could for Non-Miniature Tabletop Games. Like if you only have space for 4 tables and the rest is PCs or Inventory space mostly...that does NOT leave a lot of room for Miniature Terrain to just be sitting around most of the time. Plus again....it can be harder to find the space necesary to store all those army sets, and even more so if you're talking about terrain.

Granted where I live there is 1 place I know that has Miniature Night (1 day a week), and another that I THINK has stuff for it.

TL:DR For the record I am NOT coming against Miniatures or saying people shouldn't play them. Merely that they are not exactly a cheap hobby to get someone or yourself into, with a game that typically isn't meant to be played with 3-4, much less 5-6 people at a time. Not to mention larger space requirements.

9127378
This was a real blast to read and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the EQG Universe version with all the humans! Considering you said that there's going to be MORE adventures in the future, I am VERY curious to find out what exactly the next adventure will be about <3

Also: I am totally loving the Dash x Kicker ship! <3
Kinda of a shame that didn't happen in the Pony 'Verse, but what Kicker got there definitely suits her needs better. But this was DEFINITELY a ship I didn't even realize I NEEDED in my life <3

9132841

Again, this is if you are going to play 28mm, which is expensive.

(for the record, I NEVER buy AAA games anymore, though for stuff like Paradox grand strategies where a single games will eat 200 hours, I'm prepared to sink the pennies in for the expansions.)

15mm (especially fantasy) or 6mm or starships is WAY cheaper.

£30 will get you - from Ground Zero Games, the best starship manufacturer (*cough* aside from Aotrs Shipyards, of course, shameless self- promotion *cough*) - two starting fleets of eight ships each; £60 and you can get two 13-ship fleets. (Oh, and Full Thrust the second-best set of starships rules (after my Acclerate & Attack, of course...!) is available for free download, even.) And starships don't need any terrain[1].

At 15mm, for interest (I as, I say, play 12mm), their army packs are about £36 for 64, though yeah, that's only one army.

Irregular Miniatures (which are probably the cheapest, and a good place to look to start out) are even cheaper - you can get a 100-piece 15mm fantasy army.

Still a hell of a lot chjeaper than console gaming ('cos you have to buy the console), and only cheaper than PC gaming if you have a PC anyway. (And if you don't play something that isn't focussed on selling you a new editions to make your figures out of date, you can be playign with the same stuff twenty-five years down the line.)

Plus, as I say, if you have a local (non-crap) wargames club, you don't need to do anything other than turn up; but that probably pre-supposes you actually are in a place where that is possible. (Which, as I say, due to distaces, is not as common Stateside.) If you have to rely on a local games store as you only venue, yeah, you're kind of buggered[2], but that is the same for everyone.

(Our club in Derby is even dead cheap, we only pay £2 for subs for the night and newcomer don't have that even.)



"It costs a lot" isn't really a reason why its still male-orientated, though; I would accept as valid it is why a good chunk of UK wargamers skew to mine and my Dad's generation (I'm coming up to 40), because it WAS a lot cheaper when I started, because metal has gone up sharply.



I won't keep harping on, though. (Wargames is not only my primary hobby, but literally my day job, so I can blather on about it all day and thus have something of a given that I have to wave the standard, especially if it means opening people up to the idea that there's more than GW and clones to it...! And the whole Lich racial tendancy to monologue doesn't help...)



[1]Decades of experience suggest asteroids are mos economically done by using hadnful of aquarium gravel. Yes, really.

[2]We put on demo games at conventions several times a year, but we wouldn't do it in a place like that; we've turned down offers to do stuff in a local shopping mall, because yeah. At a wargames show, you at least are dealing only with people who have paid to come in (and because traders, there is security, though I have never seen it needed in twenty-five years over here.)

9133454
I haven't seen any local shops in the area that are doing much to sell cheaper ship miniature stuff. The only stuff I typically see, along with events, is more the Warhammer or Warmachine type stuff.

In terms of cheaper, I meant more like....cheaper to get a friend into something. Like almost of my friends are gamers and therefore have a PC that can AT LEAST run Indie Games. Most own SOME kind of Console as well in order to play video games. So the big investment of an actual PC and/or GPU isn't really such a big deal often times, and the same with console since most of them already have the hardware to do so.
Hence getting someone into a SPECIFIC game is TYPICALLY only the cost of the game itself.

I get that you got stuff that is NOT Warhammer & Machine. The issue is the companies that make them, are the only real competitors in town typically, and by far the most popular.

Asteroids are economically done using aquarium gravel? That's pretty nifty

I don't know about any Miniature or much in the way of Tabletop Game Shows. In terms of Gaming Conventions I haven't done them much, so I can't say how much they DO have other options, ESPECIALLY by more cheaper Miniature Companies. I'd have to ask my friends. Though those tend to be once a year and again due to space reasons, it's often times more economical to cater to RPGs, LARPs, and Tabletop Gaming crowds.

Yeah the only games I buy tend to either be cheap, or it's a big one where I know I will be sinking a ton of hours into something when it comes to video games. Even in terms of the latter, it's typically hard to justify with the backlog of games I have that I should be playing.
Monster Hunter World has been the exception since it's on PC and was just looking AMAZING, and it has been a serious blast to play. Plus I got some Graduation money that I was specifically ordered to ONLY use for Fun, so that was a big part of it as well.

9135026

Wargames - outside of GW - has been predominantly a postal (or buy-at-convention) thing since it started, outside of a handful of gaming shops. (I'm a little bit surprised even Warmachine is something you see in shops. There is, like, one gaming shop in my local region that I might expect to find stuff there, and that's because they have basically everything (or did when I last went, and that was some years ago). The rise of the internet just means it's a lot more accessible; the 'net is definitely your friend[1].

Wargames show - at least the ones in the UK are VERY different animals from Cons, as evidenced anytime I read something like Aragon's recent blogs on the subject! Actually, I wouldn't be entirely sure that there is an equivilent State-side.

I could keep going on for hours and hours, though Chengar's comment section is perhaps not the best of places to be doing so (as we're only marginally on-topic) (else I'd have already done some links and/or photos...!), so if you wanna continue, maybe we should go to PM , unless everypony else is deeply invested in the conversation? *looks at everypony else*


[1]As an aside, I virtually never - outside of disposable items - use brick-and-mortar shops for anything anymore. Everything I buy of any note will come from online. (Hell, Mum even does the majority of the grocery shopping online - and for Nanny (who is in her ninties), the internet is more-or-less the only place she can get anything, unless we specifically take her out.)

Still enjoying the continued development of Rainbow and Cloud. Still glad to see so much more of Nimbus in this universe as well. And I'm not much into war games myself, so I'm glad you were able to make this as entertaining as it was. Plus, Luna was awesome.

All caught up on this side-series now. I eagerly await whatever comes next.

Took way longer to finish reading this one than I should. It was nice, fluffy and amusing.

Now what it needs is a future sequel were they go to the nationals and face down all villains with their thematic armies :rainbowwild:

9700041
That makes sense. After I finished the story I realized that it was more one of those horrible thoughts everyone has that they don't actually believe.

Login or register to comment