• Published 1st May 2018
  • 2,538 Views, 57 Comments

But That’s Impossible! - Sollace



Princess Celestia explains how the sun works. Kinda.

  • ...
7
 57
 2,538

Epilogue

“So...”

Spike sucked in a long breath, squeezing his eyes shut for a moment, and then pulling the feather duster back from the edge of Twilight’s bookshelves. He silently wrung the implement in his claws before, decidedly, setting it aside, wiping out the wrinkles from his apron, and turned back to look down at Twilight’s desk.

The Alicorn of Books, and benefits, was currently huddled behind her desk, muzzle pressed down over the last page of her junior thesis on sunology. A little quill danced in her magic, jotting down notes as she siphoned through another large tome.

“Um.” Spike coughed, clearing his throat. “What is this aragon stuff anyway?” he asked, then continued, starting down the back of the step ladder as she muttered, “Is it, like, the power source? Is that what causes the sun to burn so bright, or something?”

“Hm...” The quill paused, wavering as Twilight’s brow furrowed. She leaned back from the page, tapping a hoof to her chin as she thought. “It’s... possible,” said she. The quill continued scribbling, unattended as Twilight directed all of her attention to the young drake-turned maid. “There have been a lot of theories. Stepone Hawking, for example, wrote that aragon could be the driving force of our universe; that the more pressure you apply the harder it gets, and the hotter its rarefaction burns.”

“Huh.”

“Then again,” Twilight continued. She shrugged, and returned to her scribbling, pushing a fresh page under the quill moments before her desk became part of her dissertation. “I personally subscribe to the theory that it’s powered by short skirts and explosions.”

“Skirts?”

Circuits, I meant circuits.”

Author's Note:

Thanks to Samey90 for giving me this magnificent idea for an epilogue. XD

Comments ( 27 )

Well, that was fun. A ton of fun. Possibly even a Butt-ton of fun. Your explanation at the end seems much more plausible than mine. I always thought it was powered by a secret cabal of alcohol-fueled wooden robot priests. :trollestia:

8898465
Robotic priests!?

Hm.... Very interesting...

8898659
Thank you! :yay:

please clarify the legitness of this.

I have a doctorate in ponyology, and I confirm that this does contain ponies. That's about all I can do, though. :derpytongue2:

The sun ain't real cause man's not hot. (Never hot.)

Twi has a skirt fetish, doesn’t she?

8899012
Oh, thanks for clarifying that

8899012 8899014
Not exactly what I intended, but sure, we can roll with that.

8898997
Hm... Perhaps. That does raise some questions, though.

Is this part of Diaries of a Madman then?

8899165
I've not read that, so no. Why? Is there some overlap?

8899216 The fact that Celestia controls earth's rotation and the short skirts and explosions bit.

8899850
That really depends on what the actual original value of a celestiatonne is. While 500 celestiatonnes is the mass of the Sun... I'm not great with complex maths, but. Would the value of the celestiatonne not decrease as you go down?

If one celestiatonne is 3.978x1024 earth tonnes at 500 if the suns are roughly the same, then to find out the value of just 1 at 1 you'd have to go down, right? Would it... something... by pi? 4? If it's diameter then? Divide by x every time you go down, basically Ack, I can't maths :fluttershbad:

If you wanted to work out the original from the original, you'd have to know about the mass of cake that one needs to consume to double the diameter of Celestia's leg, so you would have to factor in Celestia's bodily entropy and know how bioavailable the nutrients are from the exact constituents in the cake and how efficient her metabolism is. And consider the % of converted body fat that ends up in her legs. Oh wow. That's kind of creepy, Twilight. :twilightoops: Anyway, that's not something we can really check.

Anyway, the value of the celestiatonne would decrease as it goes down. I think?

Sorry if this is badly worded, it's 4am. :applejackconfused:

8899505
Fixes made, thank you! :facehoof:

8899511
Ah. Well it must've been coincidence, and Samey fed me the idea of putting in Short Skirts and Explosions as my second author cameo.

8899590
Wew, fantastic analysis! I think you've put more though into this than even I have. :pinkiecrazy:

I like your ideas, and yes, it was mentioned about half-way through that Celestiatonnes are exponential. It was based on Decibels, except in reverse. So with a starting circumfrerence for Celestia's ass being 1 meter, one Celestiatonne of cake would increase it to 2 meters. 2 Celestiatonnes makes it 4, three makes it 8, 4 is 16, etc...

I have a feeling there's something I'm missing here, some kind of pun or similarity that makes this chapter make sense. Is there a person named Aragon (outside of the writer on this site) who is particularly linked to short skirts and explosions? If so, that would imply that the misconstrued name of the element argon is intentional, invalidating my earlier comment. Either way, I'm missing the joke--would someone care to explain?

8901028

Is there a person named Aragon (outside of the writer on this site) who is particularly linked to short skirts and explosions?

No. But both are writers on this site that are inexplicably linked to cartoon horse fiction.

8901239
I suppose. Myself I always favored the ideas that either the sun and moon were artificial constructs of some kind, or that the unicorns were dirty rotten liars and the Sisters simply didn't tell the truth to help solidify their position when they came to power.

KISS principle, after all.

8901250
Ah, yeah. Normally I subscribe to them being more or less the same as our universe. I've never had to deal with the mechanics of how it works before, though, so this was a fun exercise in 'wat'-inducing.

“ Circuits , I meant circuits.”

Boooo!
Go home with this thumbs up and feel feelings!

Some writers engage in world-building. Some authors excel at world-deconstruction, explaining the previously unexplained.
Some just want to watch the world burn.

So thanks for that.

8902754
It was my pleasure.

Huh. Somewhere between Mass Effect and Star Trek in terms of the magical physics involved. And I do quite like the idea of enchanting the sun with the global rotation spell for no-muss, no-fuss transitions. All told, a most enjoyable bit of silly world building. Thank you for it.

8910778
I'm glad to hear you liked it. :twilightsmile:

Silly worldbuilding is best worldbuilding, as I always say -- right now, this time.

Oh no, it's definitely powered by short skirts and explosions.

What... Did I just read?

Login or register to comment