• Published 23rd May 2018
  • 2,210 Views, 651 Comments

Life of Lyra - Damaged



Having left her childhood home of Batstralia behind, Lyra (along with her mother, friend, and "father") was determined to do her best at Princess Celestia's school.

Comments ( 22 )

And that's the whole story. I hope you join me on the next installment over here:

TAnd Now For Something Exactly the Same
The fateful day has come and gone. Nightmare Moon returned to Equestria and was dealt with by Twilight Sparkle and her friends. The tale of Equestria is not told yet, however.
Damaged · 171k words  ·  167  6 · 1.6k views

Looking forward to the next story then.
The series has thus far been one of my favorites.
It has quite a few differences to the "traditional" stories to be found here and is a good time-eating read.

10323137 New story (at least a prologue) is up already!

Hmmm... I believe this is rather fitting. Also, very nice reference.

Bravo, and see you next tale.

And what are you, Joyce, doing here?

I beleive, as my daughter would say,

Im a Rogue One? :moustache:

And here we go. It amuses me to wonder what would happen if this was somehow settled amicably before Twilight and company ever arrived.

It's been a lovely story so far, and I'm quite pleased to see a continuation so soon.

AnD. HerE. wE.Go.
( in the Jokers voice)!

"And when will we expect you back?" Phil asked.

"Just before the dawn that never comes."

See i know this is supposed to sound epic, but I've been rereading My Life as a Bipedal Quadruped, so i immediately snarked "So you're never coming back? Problem solved i guess."

I've enjoyed this story immensely and this is quite a good point to end it. I'm sure that the fact that chapter 42 is the last of the story is not coincidence. I'm wondering how the talk between Joyce and Lyra will go about this event given that Lyra is good friends with several of the Elemts of Harmony and Joyce wouldn't want to keep her daughter in the dark when everything is finished.

If I've made the right choice, she has everything she needs to do whatever is needed of her. Otherwise… Otherwise it was destiny for her to rule instead.

Why not both?

And all the pieces are in place... though in a different arrangement then we're used to. Great bridge between the transformation of Australia and that fateful Summer Sun Celebration. Thank you for it. onto the sequel!

a completely totally awesome ending to this story ark.

Liked the first story and this is a great follow up. Lyra makes things fun for everyone.

Though is it just me, or does this story have no sense of the passage of time? There are huge inexplicable time skips, no? A few months here and there are detailed with explanations along the lines of 'After a few months of studying', or 'X weeks of training'. But then there are times where many months if not years seem to disappear with no explanation and make no chronological sense. The story just suddenly mentions in the middle of the chapter that Lyra has been in Equestria for X years. No. No she hasn't. The events of the story don't allow for that. There are certain events that are said to happen with general outlines of timeline (like, scheduled to happen X months away). It's fine when the story jumps to them at the start of a chapter because we know they are supposed to happen and can just assume that nothing too special happened in the interim, since the jumps are usually only a matter of a few months and there is the usual day to day stuff they have to do (school, guard stuff, etc.). But there are points where it seems little time has passed, nothing of significance is said to have happened, then boom, turns out half a year or more has apparently gone by.

There is also the issue with the CMC. In this fic, they are not only friends, but called the CMC, well before Nightmare Moon appears. When they first make an appearance it's, I think, literal years before her return.

Time jumps an anachronistic events aren't rare in fics, and even some stuff that gets published and costs money to get. Still, it seems pretty egregious at some points in this fic.

Eh, I look passed it generally. It's not really important overall, it's mostly just jarring to see huge inexplicable time skips in the middle of chapters. I think it's mainly that the author is trying to pass the time more quickly for the story hits the time of the start of the TV series.

Ok, I admit you did a great job with this story. You took Lyra's eccentricness and cranked it up to 11 and made everything so valid for the character I'm sitting here speechless. Very good job and now I head on to the next one. :pinkiehappy:

Woo! Finished these two, now I can catch up with third. And then, new chapter!
Also, time wise, how long has Joyce been pregnant at this point? I know she has her daughter next book. Lyra realized her mum was pregnant in chapter 28 due to mood swings. In 29 Joyce found out when Tufts mentioned that the baby had "quickened". I'm not entirely sure what that means, but gender of a foal can be observed on ultrasound at about 4 months. It was mentioned in chapter 36 that this day was 5 months away, and that she would have had her foal by then to introduce to Nightmare Moon. Just seems like it's rapidly approaching Bonnie levels of gestation.

11061600 Equines are typically around 11 month gestation. I typically run with that.

11170688

I still don't think you can call that inflation. Inflation is when the value of money is lower compared to goods and services. So you need more of a currency to get the same stuff you could buy before. I don't think that happens here.

Instead you've got the opposite, deflation, where your same Bits can buy more, because everyone but the dam hoarder pony really needs Bits.

If I'm a grocer pony, and I see that the ponies around me now have electricity, I might to say to myself, "These ponies can now use electrical appliances, so there's going to be more demand for electrical appliances", but I wouldn't go on to say, "...and because there's more total demand in the market, I can sell my carrots for 3 Bits instead of 2," because carrots aren't electrical appliances.

That's a good point tho about the UBI. Effective safety net policies are really good at dampening shocks like that. It wasn't brought up in the chapter so I didn't really think about that.

It changed to Batstralia halfway through my rereading. Each instance causes my brain to short circuit a little bit.

Is the previous story required reading?

11608692 Highly recommended or you'll get lost in some parts.

Haha they were accidentally summoned? Nice.
Most of the pieces are set, let's get the game rolling!

To Shining Armor, in the unlikely event of an attack on the celebration, how quickly would the guard be able to react in force?

"Sorry, I was ordered off the detail for the celebration. Princess Celestia ordered no Royal Guard at all—and not that she really needs us, but I still hate leaving her alone like this. But, she's right. What could possibly happen in Ponyville, of all places? It's the quietest little town in all Equestria." Despite his positive words, Shining Armor seemed more focused on convincing himself than anypony else.

Sgt Murphy:*Murphy smiles to Excessive Trollish Levels* :pinkiegasp::pinkiecrazy::pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment