• Published 17th Mar 2018
  • 1,665 Views, 242 Comments

Aftersound - Oneimare



After an accident involving Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash, a confused mare wakes up in an Equestria she doesn't recognize. Set on finding out what happened after the failed experiment, she plunges herself into the grim streets of Canterlot.

Comments ( 30 )

It still confuses me how little exposure this story has on Fimfiction. It's such a beautiful, yet somber tale with an ending that leaves more questions than answers. I'm glad I finally took the time to read through it a few months ago; I mean who'd miss a gem of a story like this?! I wish I could like it more than once, that's for sure. Can't wait for the next story in this type of series. I'm curious to see what happens to the Machine Goddess in the coming years, or if any of the new characters you create will hear, or meet her.

Not to mention to the other characters and their happenings. I'm most definitely interested in Delight's stories and perhaps what Luna will do now. Good shit though, I'm looking forward to see what you make next.

Edit: I wasn't following you?! Well, this story definitely fuckin' earned it.

9997663

Thank you very much, especially for the follow!

Now that it's over let's go down thelong list of snide remarks I have:

But of course the corrupted arcanium can't be controlled or purified by Twilight because it would just be too easy and in this story what we need is to beat the shit out of our protagonists both physically and phycologically.

Well that was kinda rude of you Twilight not even telling them that while you died again you got better when you were right there.

And that's why you first learn stasis spells instead of lobbing heads of neck stumps techniques besides Wire and Flower could have atleast tried taking with her instead of looking at her from afar like love starved stalkers.

I mean okay Sunset you do you and we never got word on Cadence but then again not sure if I care.

Kinda sucks that like most fics Celestia['s afterimage] was just stashed in the broom closet with no real meaning towards the story and was disposed with the Elegance of throwing away an old toothbrush.

Ugh, not this shit again Luna also for all the trouble they went through with getting her she was about as useful as a fish having the mystical ability to talk with camels.

Your still a nerd Twilight machine goddess or not.

Aww shit here we go again.

The lesson here folks is that if your Twilight [or Twilight analog ] is mistreated the universe will make sure the world knows that you fucked up.

I got more on my mind but my phone battery is running low

It was interesting read to say the least magnificent at times but all I could do was rub the bridge of my nose in exasperation I don't see myself re-reading this without forgetting about it first and I have to be honest it left quite the impression.

I loved this stort. Waited every month for the update and always saddened when i notice that this story isn't more well known.
I will admit that the end feels rushes. That it could have been a bit longer, more talking with the others. Confused as to why the others never approached her and had a meaningful conversation, why did Wire never go to her?
Also, im extremely curious as to this end here, so many unanswered things just for the confirmation of another story.
Thats fine though, im looking forward to this next story. Any idea when it may come out?

10000822

I will admit that the end feels rushes. That it could have been a bit longer, more talking with the others. Confused as to why the others never approached her and had a meaningful conversation, why did Wire never go to her?

I get why you feel that way and it was one of my concerns that such response will occur. The reason behind very limited conversations the protagonist had is in massive shift in her status and state of mind. Also, most of her arcs with other characters came to a conclusion one way or another.
I could have added something, I admit, but as I was writing the last chapters, I couldn't really come up with any actually meaningful conversations which wouldn't look out of place. By the time the chapters starts, the protagonist is finally able to take on the huge responsibility but it requires a lot of personal involvement, leaving almost no time for any other matters.

As for Wire, despite that filly having a lot of involvement in the story, she was never really fond of the protagonist. She started as outright hostile and then tolerated her for Flower, with chapter 13 being the pinnacle of their relationship.

Also, im extremely curious as to this end here, so many unanswered things just for the confirmation of another story.
Thats fine though, im looking forward to this next story. Any idea when it may come out?

There is a quite detailed answer to that question in one of my latest blogs, but if you want a short answer: not anytime soon, unfortunately. However, I do work on some not Aftersound-related stuff which will be in the near future.

10002243
Sweet, and i guess i should have been more clear. I was half asleep at the time of writing that comment. Its mostly the same. But when i was refering to Wire i mean Her and flower. Wondering why her would be daughter never approached her herself.

10002279

No worries. 

As you can remember, Flower tried to approach her, but she was deterred by the way the protagonist sent her away when they all were met by Chrysalis. Also, the Twelve, who were addressed as children by TMG, strengthened Flower's fear of no longer being wanted around. Then there also was Spike... Still, she tried, but was always kept a distance in fear of rejection.  

Not gonna lie, I kinda fumbled a bit that arc in the end, it could and should have been done better. I intentionally kept them apart while reminding about the issue being unresolved, because I knew that once they faced each other in the Sky Palace, there would be a definitive answer, which I couldn't have around until the end of the last chapter. In retrospect, it wasn't the best decision, though I have no idea about alternative.

10002316
Eh, it worked i the end and i enjoyed it. Thats what matter i think.
So no worries, when writing i know that you cant always have everything perfect.

Even as I looked upon this intriguing fic called 'aftersound' quickly drawn into its story and cyberpunk setting, I could never know how great this story would be. Only getting better with each chapter, long as they were they were worth reading every word. Without padding, thick with worldbuilding and story, taking unexpected turns left and right. Then coming to an epic conclusion, a climax rife with suspense, loss, hope and triumph. Then came the ending, somewhat bittersweet yet fully concluding, and after that a curious epilogue which leaves behind a few last mysteries.

Not since fallout Equestria have I gone through such a spectacular piece of written fanfiction, worth all the wait and satisfying to reach the conclusion of. I'm definitely following your future endeavors, and will certainly check out the other stories you've made. You are quite the author, a master of compelling storytelling!

10005776

Thank you so much! I can't express enough how much your words mean to me. And I am not talking about just now, but how you commented every new chapter, motivating me to do the best. It feels especially good to see a reader who followed me from the very beginning and who ultimately enjoyed the story until its end.

This story feels so much like a JRPG. It has all the story beats, crazy settings, and twists of one thats for sure.

Honestly though, despite everything what hit ne the hardest was the fate of the Crystal Empire. Luna's reaction pretty much mirrored mine on that.

man this fic is a mind trip.

What a wonderful story. I am so glad to have both found and read it. I waited in anticipation for every chapter. I enjoyed every turning point and every thought put into it. On top of all that, the story can’t even be officially labeled as ‘over’. There’s still mystery, intrigue, and a wonderfully done cliffhanger. I can’t wait for your future tales and whatever may come. Onwards! To a wonderful future.

10030630

Thank you!
As much as you waited for every chapter, I waited for your feedback. I am very grateful to you for following this story and commenting on each chapter.

I started off being hesitant about this story, but the more of it I read, the more and more the intrigue and mysteries drew me in, along with the unique ideas and world it presented. By the end of it, I was hooked on every chapter and couldn't put it down.
I want to see more of this world and its' characters, and find out more about what became of them.

Not to mention, I'm a little bit confused about the ending, and the identity of the mare at the end; was it Twilight, a different version of Twilight??? I must know more; or am I just missing something obvious >.<

10109184

Sorry for the delayed answer, I had some technical difficulties.
I'll start with my sincere gratitude: despite the story starting so slow and being far from stellar in its execution you stuck with it and I appreciate that so much!
I am very glad you enjoyed it in the end. Speaking of which: whose identity troubles you, the mare in the epilogue?

10115343
I must admit, I was a little dubious in the first chapters, but it really ramped up and snagged me after the first couple.
And yes, that's whose Identity confused me. The one described as having bone and metal hind legs. I just wasn't sure if it was supposed to be hinting that it was someone who'd already turned up or been part of the story, or it was a new character/new interpretation or version of a character.

10116625

It is my bad. It was pointed out to me that it was quite unobvious.
That 'mare' is one of the Machine Goddess' bodies she left behind. The one in the 'dark cathedral', to be precise, where Seven was attacked. The Machine Goddess whisked Seven away, but left behind the arcanium body with some of her power. It came to life, but it has almost no memories to latch on.

10117067
Ohh, thank you for the explanation - that's a really interesting twist and sparks a lot of exciting potential for the future too!

10117460

No problemo!
I know that some things may be unclear (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not), so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Really enjoyed this and only just finished it now, Hauntingly brilliant, really bittersweet ending.

10223597

Thank you very much!

... ... ...Wow. I have no words for how much I enjoyed your story. I just read it over the course of the last two nights, and I am blown away by the depth of the world you have painted. I'm impressed that you were able to approach crossroads in your story, key developing points for your characters, and take the road less traveled. You completely defied the Mary Sue complex in my opinion. There have only been a few stories that could surprise me with the direction an author takes their story, you have managed to do this nearly throughout the entirety of your work. Perhaps that is just my inexperience with truly dystopian literature, but I believe my opinion would remain the same regardless.
It must have been very difficult to write this story without caving in to the usual plot devices and paragon choice button smashing. I take my hat off to your skill in writing and character creation. Well done.

10735482

Thank you ever so much!
I'm very glad you found that story so enjoyable—I know it is not without a fault.
In creating Aftersound I faced many difficulties, indeed, though I'd like to believe I've learned from them.

Aftersound has a sequel—Resonance, which is currently being posted (and will be for a while).
Also, seeing how you are impressed by my writing and have found my storytelling up to your tastes, I'd like to mention a non-pony story I'm working on. As a full-sized novel it is going to take me years to finish, but if you are interested, I can keep you notified of its completion.

10738782
I started The Unique Properties of Dark Magic last night for a change of pace, but I'm almost done with it. I plan to start Resonance afterwards.
I would love to be kept in the know of the novel you are writing. What would the genre and setting be?

10739665

I plan to start Resonance afterwards.

Resonance has only three chapters and they are significantly shorted than an average chapter of Aftersound, so I don't think you need to hurry.

What would the genre and setting be?

Dark fantasy.
The setting is a very elaborate world of anthropomorphic animals. That story draws heavily from the headcanon I created for Aftersound.
Sorry for being very succinct about it—Niello is still in development and I don't want to prematurely spoil it. Even my closest friends are in the dark about any details.

10740497

Dark fantasy.
The setting is a very elaborate world of anthropomorphic animals. That story draws heavily from the headcanon I created for Aftersound.

You have my attention.
I don't mind the succinct nature of your description, but I look forward to reading your novel.

Resonance has only three chapters and they are significantly shorted than an average chapter of Aftersound, so I don't think you need to hurry.

But there are so many stories! So many characters and worlds! But so little time.

10851243
*Looks at the next year-and-a-half of scheduling*

*Looks at length of story*

If I don't read it now, I may never read it at all. :fluttershyouch:

11352265
Yeah it's fine, nothing is perfect. I enjoy your story otherwise, besides a kind of slow and confusing opening chapter.

Login or register to comment