• Published 15th Aug 2017
  • 1,321 Views, 18 Comments

Straight EEEs - Damaged



We have to move because my dad has gotten a new job somewhere called Hollow Shades. I can't believe it, I have to leave all my friends behind and everything!

  • ...
2
 18
 1,321

EEEasy

"Your dad is totally cool, No-wings." Mango's voice was both annoying and stupid, his nickname for me was as stupid as it was obvious, and he totally didn't beat me at wing wrestling (Tuftette was right).

"Now-now, Mango, Sparks might not have wings, but he has magic. Everypony is special in their own way." Mrs. von Screech was pretty awesome. She had the coolest fangs I had seen so far, and amazing wings. If she didn't have Mango, she would have been perfect.

Puffing my chest out, I bit into the banana that formed my "breakfast." I was still trying to work out the whole awake-at-night thing, but Dad had assured me that it would only take a few days to get used to. He and Mrs. von Screech had talked for a long time, and when Tuftette and I checked in on them they were laughing together. At last, Mrs. von Screech had told Dad that she would take care of getting me to school today. "Thank you for dinner… breakfast!"

"At least Sparks has manners!" Tuftette was attacking her banana with enthusiasm. I had a moment of surprise when she picked it up with her wing-claws-of-doom (what I like to call them), she seemed almost as good with them as I was with magic.

"Mom always said, 'Proper manners make the pony.' " I made sure to stick my tongue out at Mango, if only to achieve the maximum "I am better than you" status. "So," I turned to look at Tuftette, "do you know what is happening at school today?"

Mango tried to cut in, but Tuftette beat him to it. "Tonight, you mean." She grinned at me, flashing her fangs. "Well, it's Tuesnight, so we will be doing flying practice later…" My scowl must have been too much. "But we will be doing geography first, and maths!"

Skipping over the flying practice, which would be awesome if they gave me wings for it, I latched onto something she had said. "Wait, 'Tuesnight'? Don't you mean Tuesday?"

Mrs. von Screech lifted one of her wings and pointed at the window. Outside, of course, it was pitch black. "Oh… right…" I finished my banana and carefully folded the skin up. "So when does school start?"

The answer turned out to be "very soon" and led to things like "rushing to get ready" and "get our plots out the door," or so Mrs. von Screech claimed.


"… welcome Sparkle, a new student from Canterlot." Miss Kee beamed at her class as if she hadn't totally messed up my name.

"Sparks." My correction at least had her blush.

Miss Kee flashed her fangs with a smile. "Sorry, Sparks. Now, could everypony please take out your books and turn to page twenty-five?" She passed a book to me, a loaner I guessed, and pointed to an empty chair.

The class was mathematics. I was so good at it I could afford to sleep. So I did.

I woke to a wing poking me. "Sparks." Tuftette's voice was like a rusty nail on a chalkboard. "Sparks, wake up. Class is over."

I jerked my head up and looked around. Miss Kee was sitting at the end of the room with a knowing smile on her face. I was caught, but she didn't seem angry about it. "I wasn't sleep. My eyes just needed a rest."

"Pfft." Tuftette bumped me with her wing. "You were totally sleepin'. Miss Kee caught you and everythin'."

"I did, Sparks. But it is understandable. I saw what you had written, and you seem a little ahead of this class. Consider maths to be your catch up for sleep, until we reach algebra." Miss Kee's voice held a slight giggle to it, but I had heard everything I needed to.

"So what now?" I looked at Tuftette for help, she had apparently appointed herself as the pony who would show me around. Struggling against lethargy, I couldn't keep a yawn back.

Tuftette slung a wing around my back and started urging me forward. I was shocked at first, mostly by how soft her wing felt, but more that the huge talon didn't slice me in two. Walking along beside her, she was chattering away at me, but I could barely focus. I was initially worried about cooties, but Tuftette seemed too cool for them. I nodded from time to time, but barely noticed when we were sitting outside together, eating our lunches.

"Here he is!" A scratchy voice tore my attention away from my daisy sandwich. "He is soooo smart Miss Kee didn't even bother him while he slept in her class!"

"Must be such a brainiac!" Another bat, apparently the crony of the first, seemed intent to reassure them that everything was true. That it was actually true sucked, but that never stopped me from a fair fight.

"So, you can fly! What if Sparks is a bit ahead. We are going to catch up eventually anyway." I had to close my mouth. They weren't my words; they belonged to Tuftette.

It seemed to egg the colts on, however. "Hah! He needs a filly to stand up for him!"

Ears twitched around on the group of colts, and not a few of them actually looked around for a teacher. I knew what was coming. Standing up, I stepped away from Tuftette and glared at the three colts. Each one was bigger than me, and I could see them flexing their wings.

"So what if a filly stands up for him!" I almost recoiled from the excited anger in Tuftette's voice. She stood up beside me and loosed her wings at her side. "He is a nice pony!"

I finally decide I was done with letting Tuftette stand up for me. "Why don't you just flap off." My words—as I figured—didn't phase them.

"Hey Screech, you going to trounce this newbie?" I turned my ears first, then my head; Mango was walking over to us. "You better watch out for him. His magic nearly busted my wing when I tried to wrestle him."

I stared at Mango in surprise, and almost jumped when I saw his eye that the bullies couldn't see wink. Catching on to the ruse, I energized my horn. Focus, emotions, and hope all combined to keep the fizzling down so that a strong azure glow splashed down into my eyes. "I was working on that spell last night. I think I should be able to nearly break your wing in half now."

A cracking sound drew all eyes to Tuftette, who had just broken a small branch with her wing claws. Three bullies all gulped at once. "Don't look now, but I think the teacher is coming." Tuftette's words caused the bullies to spin around and scan for a teacher that wasn't there.

Picking up another stick with my magic, I levitated it up just behind the three, and broke it.

"Look at them run!" Mango actually fell over, he was laughing so hard. "Oh Luna, I thought I was pulling your plot out of a fire, but this! This was worth it!"

Mango's change of allegiance surprised me, but I wasn't going to look a gift-bat in the snout. "That was pretty awesome. But I didn't beat you at—" I froze as Mango looked up. "What?"

"You can be a bit of a dweeb, but I will make you wrestle me again, No-wings." Mango rolled to his hooves and stood up. The three of us walked back to where Tuftette and I were eating our lunch, and sat down together.

"Okay, Hornless." I twitched my lips into a grin. "You're on!" A nearby table became our target, and though it was late at night, I was buzzing with excitement. Sitting down at the table, I mentally prepared myself. "So, no teachers. No parents. No interruptions."

"Nope. We find out which is more mighty." Mango took the seat opposite and braced himself. A wing reached up and settled on the table between us.

Tentatively, I reached up with my magic. "So, on the count of three?" He nodded to my suggestion. Looking up at Tuftette—who was watching avidly—I nodded again.

"One." Tuftette looked to me first. "Two." She turned and looked to her brother. The world faded, and it was just the three of us. I stared at Mango, and he stared back. Like cowponies in the old west, we were about to do battle. "Thr—"

The school bell rang, and with all the competitive nature burned out by tension, Mango and I broke into laughter together.

"Three! I said, "Three"!" Tuftette slumped. "You colts are so silly! You spent all your time posturing to those bullies!" A strong wing pulled across my withers and yanked me away from the table. Eeping in surprise, I realized Tuftette was pulling me along towards the school building again.

Geography was way different to what I had studied in Canterlot. Bat ponies traveled at night, and with their wings. Every part of Equestria could be mapped by the smells it gave, the lights it put off, and by the stars above. Mr. Flappies was really interested in what I would say.

By the time sports rolled around, I was yawning more than talking. Miss Kee had us for that, and she gave me permission to find a tree to sleep near. It was gloriously dark, and just as I was about to pass out I had a thought: if I went to sleep now, it would be harder for me to sleep through the next day.

Finding a comfortable spot, I squinted my eyes at the dim light of Luna's moon, and watched my classmates flying. So fixated was I, that I didn't even notice my Dad was sitting beside me until he spoke. "Watching somepony in particular?"

I hadn't realized I was, but when he drew my attention to it I blushed. "No. Just wondering what it would be like with wings."

"Liar." Dad was too dratted clever by half. "I was talking to Banana… Mrs. von Screech… some more. She has a spare room." He angled his foreleg around my shoulders. "Would that be okay with you, Sparks?"

I looked up at my dad in surprise. After him dragging me here without asking, now he was giving me a choice? My eyes drifted back to the bat ponies doing their exercises, and I saw Tuftette watching me back now, a curious look on her face. So distracted was she, that she flew right into the teacher.

"I don't know." I smiled, watching Tuftette screech loudly and try to untangle her wings. "Dad?"

"What's up, Sparks?"

"Why are fillies so… I used to think they were stupid, but then…" Nothing seemed right. I got halfway through one sentence and my brain just lost track of things. I kept watching Tuftette. "Why are fillies cute?"

"All fillies?" Dad's tone brooked no interruption, something else was coming. "Or just Tuftette?" That he knew her name stung. That the question made me think harder about her was nice. I was confused and annoyed.

"Both." I watched as she regained her poise and start flying again. "I thought fillies were horrible. I heard one colt actually died of cooties!" My dad's shocked gasp was so obviously a joke at my expense that I wanted to poke him with my horn. "Dad!"

He actually laughed. "Sorry. Go on."

"She stood up for me today. Mango did too, so I guess he is pretty cool as well, but Tuftette was ready to get in a fight with some bullies for me." That was just as confusing as finding myself liking a filly.

"Sounds like a brave filly." I noticed something about Dad's tone, and particularly in the way he was looking across the field and not up at the foals zooming around. Tracing his line of sight, I spotted Mrs. von Screech. Cogs connected and transferred thoughts in my head. I put two and two together and got just short of eleven and a half.

"Dad?"

It was Dad's turn to be distracted. "Yeah, Sparks?"

"I think it will be okay if we move in with Mrs. von Screech." I looked upwards again, and watched the cutest pony I had ever seen fly around the sky.

Author's Note:

Support me on Patreon or fuel my writing on Ko-Fi!

Join me on Discord. Warning, said chat may contain NSFW material and should be considered adult in nature.

Awesome ponies who are already helping to keep me in keyboards and rum:
A.P.O.N.I.
Airy Words
Boulder
Canary in the Coal Mine
Daremo
Dio-Drogynous
Ian
Javarod
Mary Rowland
Nils
Sirion123
Tanis

And special thanks to the following, for careful eyes and friendly words:
Airy Words
Cross Lament
Vutava

Comments ( 13 )

Cute little story.

This was a pretty good story. Any chance of a sequel?

8372643 Maybe. Got tons of stuff I am working on right now, this was just a "Write something cute" prompt from a patron.

"I wasn't sleep. My eyes just needed a rest."

asleep or sleeping (unless intentional)

I put two and two together and got just shot of eleven and a half.

shy or short

:twilightsheepish:

I see my shipping senses didn't fail me this time.

8372931 First was intentional. Second was not. Thanks for the fixes! :twilightsmile:

Hehe, cute indeed.
Keep going! ;)

We're not getting more of this??? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

well i how know why the sequel is so amazing this story is awesome.

Cute little story. A few odd little word choice errors -the most annoying of which I think was characters referring to math or mathematics as "maths". I can deal with the children saying this and it being cute but when the teacher says it makes it extremely grating and distracting. Otherwise story was worth the read and will check out the sequel.

8453398 That would be my fault. Aussie writer trying his best to write US English.

Just read both chapters... why do I sink into these cute stories!? :rainbowkiss:

Login or register to comment