• Published 14th Nov 2016
  • 10,613 Views, 1,600 Comments

Looking Glass - Krickis



When Sunset sees herself as an alicorn in a magical mirror, she goes looking for answers, eventually going through the mirror into another world. Some things are better left alone though, as she finds herself trapped in the other world as a child.

  • ...
38
 1,600
 10,613

Epilogue


Sunset relished the way they quaked in fear below her. They had all thought their little pony princess was somehow going to save them, but Sunset had the crown. The school was already under her control, her mindless minions to do her bidding, and the only thing in between her and everything she wanted was the little princess and her friends.

Well, they wouldn’t be for long. Sunset put her hands together and gathered magic between them. She created a fireball and threw it at the helpless fools below her.

Sunset laughed gleefully at her victory. It was finally time. There was nothing to stop her from taking over Equestria.

But when she looked back at where there should have been nothing but ash, six teenage girls were encased in a magic glow, completely unharmed.

It wasn’t fair. This was supposed to be Sunset’s victory, she had done everything right! She had the crown, and they had nothing! And yet somehow, the princess was able to draw magic from Sunset’s crown, connecting it with the other Elements of Harmony.

The six girls channeled Harmony’s magic, aiming it straight at Sunset. There was nothing she could do as the rainbow light engulfed her. She couldn’t even scream out as she felt it ripping her apart, disconnecting her from herself.

It left her as nothing, but it did not destroy her. Harmony did not destroy, only rebalance. As nothing, she fled. She travelled along the space in between spaces, feeling rather than seeing as she made her way to wherever she made her way to.

Something familiar caught her attention, and she was drawn to it. She moved through the darkness, seeking it out. A feeling of desire. A drive to be more. And anger, so much anger. It felt familiar, and it would be hers.


Sunset screamed as she woke up. Not because of the dream, which had been strange enough on its own, but because there was a searing pain, as if something were burning in her head.

But then as soon as it came, it was gone. Sunset collapsed back onto her bed with her head in her hands. A glance at the clock next to her showed it was already eight in the morning anyway. Even if it was a Saturday, Sunset wasn’t one to sleep in, so it was time to get up.

That dream had been so bizarre. Sunset had been at a school she didn’t recognize, and she was some sort of demon. She had power, though. So much power, and it had been thrilling to be so in control. She wasn’t sure whether it was a good or bad dream, but she didn’t put much stock in dreams anyway.

There was a knock on her door. “Miss Shimmer, are you alright? I heard screaming.”

The voice belonged to one of the maids her parents had hired to look after the house while they were too busy with their own lives to be bothered. And by extension, it belonged to one of the people who had actually raised Sunset, since her parents certainly couldn’t be bothered with her either. “I’m fine,” Sunset answered. “I just hit my head.”

“Alright then, Miss. Would you like me to prepare your breakfast?”

“No thanks. I’ll head downstairs soon.”

“As you wish.”

Sunset knew she hadn’t hit her head, but she didn’t want to admit to having random pain that emerged from her dreams. She was seventeen years old, far too old to worry about some stupid nightmare. Top of her class at the Admiral Fairweather Military Academy, the most prestigious military school in the country, with a reputation to uphold and a legacy to represent. She was not afraid of a dream.

She pushed it from her mind and rose to her feet. At least Saturday meant she didn’t have to bother with the school uniform. Instead, she chose a flashier designer dress that was sure to turn heads when she went into town later.

Everything was fine until Sunset sat down to do her hair. Her expression was blank when she looked into the mirror, but her reflection still grinned back at her. Her hand shot to her mouth, but she was too transfixed by the sight to scream.

“Well now,” it said. “This should be interesting.”

Her reflection just laughed as everything in the mirror was engulfed in flame.

Author's Note:

Who We Become is a story that takes place across two worlds. The human story and the pony story happen concurrently and affect each other, but they can also be read as standalone stories.

Breaking the Ice is a side story that follows several months after Looking Glass, showing Sunset's first holiday season with her new friends and following up on old issues with Applejack. As a side story, it's not required reading, but it's the next recommended story if you want the full picture.

Inner Strength is the next main entry in the series, taking place in Equestria. Reading it isn’t necessary if you’re only interested in the human story, but if you don't care about side stories, this is where you should go next.

Playing House is the direct sequel to Looking Glass, taking place after Inner Strength. Only read this next if you don't care about side stories or the Equestrian side of things.

Comments ( 202 )

And the plot thickens...

8644164
Lol what can I say, I'm an evil rabbit :pinkiecrazy:

Uhhhhhhhhhh....You are evil.

8644171
reads blog post

YOU BASTARD!!!!

At least you didn’t kill Kenny.

So some people were (understandably) confused by this epilogue. The only thing that I'd personally like to elaborate on is that this is not a "Sunset woke up and the whole story was a dream" thing, as someone guessed. If any readers have figured out what's going on and want to leave a comment sharing than that's totally fine, but I'd prefer not to do so myself (at least unless no one gets it :twilightsheepish:)

8644175
Lol funny enough, I was just typing that same thing :derpyderp1:

8644185
Guilty as charged :twilightsheepish:

8644194
Now you cant go and write stuff now! You cant do that to us when its revealed Sunsets human self is really the evil one.

Ah, human!Sunset got a visitor from another mind? Are you gonna write about her? Or have you, in other stories? Haha interesting none the less.

8644165
Great point of view. Ponies may take time to reconcile past actions with how they affect their present. But they are definitely a forgiving bunch. And the humane 7 seem to have acquire some of that, via osmosis. :derpytongue2:

oh that evil. Hello HUMAN Sunset

This site could definitely use more Human Sunset.

Love the story. Love the ending. I'm going to miss Monday updates. Good luck with the other works you're pursuing and enjoy the new year.

8644165
You are correct! I found Finding Home on AO3, and that is what really pulled me into fanfiction and subsequently brought me here. So, thanks again!:twilightsmile:

8644212
lol trust me, I'd rather be writing pony. But I'd also love to not be poor, so I'll still be giving original fiction a shot. Hopefully I'll be back to pony before too long though :twilightsheepish:

8644221
I may be evil, but I wouldn't introduce concepts that I'm not going to explore lol. This epilogue is here to set up future stories :raritywink: Thanks again for all the comments (every chapter since day one!)

8644271
What can I say, I do love teasing readers :pinkiecrazy:

8644475
I'll certainly miss updating as well :ajsleepy: Thanks for reading and commenting along the way, and I'm glad you enjoyed the ending :yay:

8644692
I mean I use bitch and bastard for anyone, regardless of gender lol. But in any event, I'd prefer not to reveal my biological sex :ajsmug: And I found the Cliff Hanger thing funny :derpytongue2:

8644772
Oh cool, in that case I'm happy I was able to get you more interested in fanfiction :scootangel: I feel bad for not updating AO3 lately, so I'm always glad to see a few familiar names pop up here on Fimfiction on occasion :yay:

8644701
:trollestia:

Oh hey, for once I’m using it on fimfiction.

8642024
That will be a fantastic twist and I cannot wait to see how you portray it

I know this story was supposed to be part of your own series, but I'm very impressed at how well it fits in the canon series. It's a very interesting theory on how everything came together and resolves many of the inconsistencies and eyebrow-raising aspects of the EG universe. It was a wonderful and very well-written story that was great in and of itself. Thanks for writing it.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM...

Oh my, poor human!Sunset...

All in all, though, a fitting end to this story. Good work.

8645303
Thank you, I did really want this story to stand well on its own. Especially since the rest of the series has a much heavier focus on romance, which I figure plenty of people won't be as interested in. And all it took was watching the first Equestria Girls until I practically memorized it! :pinkiecrazy:

8645425
Lol I'm not known for being kind to characters... Thank you for reading, and especially for all the comments along the way :yay:

8646287
I'm delighted you enjoyed the story so much :scootangel: As for the age thing, it'll be explored in the series itself later once the characters figure it out, but basically the mirror matched her to her human double. Because human Sunset was five when pony Sunset went through the portal, that's how old she became. Human Twi was only a few years younger than the pony one, so her age reduction was hardly noticable.

8650129
Was fun proofreading Ch32 and the epilogue. Glad to be of help. We both thought exactly alike with the use of ash to symbolise Sunset's rebirth and sudden 180 after being hit by the EOH.

8650074
If Krickis allows it, I might write and/or tie one of my own story ideas, focusing on Celestia, Twilight and maybe Luna, into the WWB universe.

Human Sunset! :O

This was a fantasic Sunset story. Good shit!

8669415

Applejack is asexual and identifies as straight based on the idea that if she's not gay or bi, she must be straight. Her romantic feelings are a little more complicated, so to save the lengthy explanation of something that'll be explored fully eventually, it's simplest to say she's demiromantic.

Hah! So am I!

Bit of a moot point, but in the Sunflower AU, Sunset's dating Fluttershy (Applejack turned her down, and she was later adopted by the Apples). Either way, your question stands though. Sunset is bisexual, although she generally prefers women.

Then I must have misread something. Oops! :twilightblush:

Well four hours of binge reading later... The first thing that comes to mind at the end of all this is how hurt Sunset is going to bet when Rose passes.

Second thing after that was a sudden Rarity moment that has me up at this hour typing away.

8674360
Yeah, Sunset's in for a rough experience there... But I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the story enough to read it so quickly! And Rarity moments are the best moments :raritystarry:

8682455
I forgot to bring it up in the chapter I actually quoted that from.
Really it's a non issue at this point as moving on from there the whiplash is justified. I meant the jerky disconnect between "save applejack" and "I tried to kill you"
8682418
I noticed. I just don't like it.
I don't really see any reason to see it that way, and really it's just ignoring perfectly good worldbuilding fodder, cutting off your nose to spite your face and make the pony-earth relationship really bland and samey with every other one since they're all Cor this technology stuff that's almost exactly like what we've got at home is so neato

8682493
Oh yeah, she was just outright lying about trying to kill Applejack. To that end, her motivation never changed; she was protecting Applejack by saving her from the water and (in her mind) protecting Applejack by telling a lie big enough to get her to give up on trying to be Sunset's friend.

With the technology, a lot of people just prefer to think of Equestria that way because it's a more appealing aesthetic to us. This includes Lauren Faust, who originally envisioned the world without the level of technology it's displayed since her departure. Show canon went in a different direction, but many of us just prefer that original style more heavily grounded in old-timey aesthetic.

8682632
Doesn't make it any less lame.
Faust would have run the show into the ground.
#basedlarson

8682732
Style preference is a matter of opinion. You can like what you like without insulting things other people enjoy, homie :ajsmug:

8687059
Oh yeah totally forgot, but was planing on re reading that anyway.

While I still have no interest in reading this, since it's done I have to ask, was it ever explained why Sunset came out of the portal a child?

8727239
Not directly, although it's possible that someone could logic it out from details in the story (although there aren't too many clues so it probably wouldn't be the easiest thing, and I imagine anyone who did wouldn't feel 100% sure about their deduction).

It'll be explained in story once the characters themselves figure it out, although that might take a while. In any event, the reason is that the Sunset that's originally from the human world was five years old when pony Sunset first went through the mirror. Whenever someone goes through the portal, it matches them to their double on the other side.

8728236
That makes sense, course it raises the question of the time difference between the 2 worlds.

8728247
There's no time difference between the worlds in my stories. In both worlds around twelve years elapsed in between Sunset going through the portal and EqG1, and even the time of day syncs up perfectly. Some characters are aged differently due to the differences in the worlds causing their parents to meet and form relationships at different times (plus unless we're assuming Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna are over a thousand years old, it was never possible for all the characters to to be the same age as their doubles).

8728275
Well I'm not gonna poke at it, that just leads to an endless loop of inconsistencies and possible explanations for those inconsistencies and who has time for that XD.

Liked the story, not many fics show very good the child stage, or how the children act or the life of someone with adult knowledge and intelligence with the eyes of a child.

8728275

Sorry for being in the middle but in my head passed the Pokemon Theory for Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna... They always had one or two daughter, they always are named Celestia and Luna and they are always Principal and Vice-principal

8764268
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it :scootangel:

And that's an interesting theory that would potentially close the plot hole of how the mirror doubles work even though Luna and Celestia are immortal.

This story was... amazing.
Words fail me at the moment, but it was one heck of a ride and I enjoyed every moment of it. Awesome work.

For those curious, my story ideas, and how they'd fit into this universe:
Equestria in the 970s, 980s and 990s

Bumblebee
Cheerilee's growing up in Canterlot. She hates it: it's dusty, grimy, and dull. There's a little village nearby, Ponyville... (970s)

982
A firey-maned filly plays with fire and doesn't get burnt.

Sense of Resentment 989

Something's very, very wrong at the School for Gifted Unicorns. It's the late '80s, the economy is struggling. Celestia's out, there are rumors of a sparkly 6-pointed artifact and a Lunar Sister from before the Sun Princess's solemn reign.

Sunset Shimmer believes it all. Some sparkly purple mare might just be about to usurp her...

Celestia2000
It's 998. Time's running out for Celestia. What to do? Can Twilight do the impossible herself?

8828332
Not sure I agree. There is a distinction between test apparatus, and discovered principles. You can make a microscope out of all sorts of materials, including presumably raw magic, but it all leads to germ theory. Other stuff like evolution (if equestria knows about that) is simple observation. (Though possibly stuff like thermodynamics wouldn't translate as well.) Some will dismiss anything, but I would at least raise an eyebrow if a 5 year old was able to rattle off a few dozen concise theoretical principles.

But even if so, a magic book (assuming it works as well as it does in canon) would be a little harder to dismiss. :twilightsmile: Assuming Celestia is willing to write back (which I admit is not a given) I think that would actually be really difficult to ignore. :trollestia:

Though again, I understand that's not the direction you were taking things, and I am enjoying the direction you did.

8828447
You make a very good point. While I do think that anything she knows is suspect, not only would some of it be actuate, the theories themselves would still be impressive. And you're definitely correct about the book (worth noting that she didn't have that in the chapter you originally commented on). Once she did have it, it became more of an active decision to not interact with it.

Lol glad you're enjoying the story though, complex relationship and all :ajsmug:

I don't have a critique, I've never been good at that sort of thing, so instead, let me say

Thank you for writing this.
:heart:

8869302
And thank you for reading, and especially for taking the time to comment :yay: It was a lot of fun to write, and I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed it :twilightsmile:

This fic has been sitting in my Read It Later for a few months, and wow do I wish I had gotten around to reading it sooner. EQG1 didn't really have time to give Sunset and her backstory the depth they deserved, but this story makes up for that in spades. Thanks for writing!

Also, bi Sunset gives me life, so thanks for that too. :pinkiesmile:

8890645
Yeah, Hasbro certainly dropped the ball on that one :twilightsheepish: But I'm glad you liked my take on it, this story was a ton of fun to work with.

And yes, bi Sunset is best Sunset :yay:

Wow. I think I had this sitting in my numerous "eventual priority reading" tabs for quite a while before I got to it, but I'm glad I did. It was quite the ride, and I had trouble putting it down to the point I lost some sleep staying up late last night reading. Reading through this story, I found myself empathizing with Sunset a number of times, a lot of emotional ups and downs with every chance for something better that she pushes away and all of her self doubt and self loathing. In ways, I think I saw some of myself in her, and that made the redemption all the more a relief. I've dealt with mental illness and issues with self worth all my life, and it actually made me think about my own life, and my own approaches to my problems some, and consider some things. It was a very good, very enthralling story, and the first of your work I've read. Got me tearing up a few times, and more than once lost in it to the point I lost track of time. I think it's safe to say I'll be looking at more of your stuff in the near future. Thank you for writing it, and for reading my long-winded praise if you've slogged through this whole comment, you did a great job with it and I feel it fleshes out Sunset Shimmer so much and so well I kind of like Sunset Shimmer now.

8900458
Thank you for reading, and for leaving such a great comment! Comments like this are the best part of writing these stories. It’s always cool to hear that readers have been so into the story they lose themselves in it, but more than anything, I love hearing that people relate to the situations/characters. When I decided to start writing with a strong focus on realism over escapism, I was pretty nervous people wouldn’t respond well to that. I still feel nervous about that with pretty much every new fic I write, so comments like this really go a long way towards making me feel more confident in my writing :yay:

I hope you enjoy anything else of mine you decide to read (as a heads up, everything else tends to be much more romantic drama rather than psychological drama). Working on the follow-up to Looking Glass right now, so keep an eye out for that one :scootangel:

8900508
You're certainly welcome. As an artist myself, I know how much people expressing appreciation for your work can be a gust of wind in the metaphorical sails of creativity and motivation. I think the realism you aimed for is part of what made it so captivating and relatable. By the time I finished it, the number of upvotes it has seems much lower than it ought to considering the number of views. I kinda feel bad for the people who didn't finish it, they definitely missed out. Unless something has awful grammar and/or spelling I try to give everything that seems interesting enough at a glance to go on my "to read" at least a fair eight or ten thousand words to really get my attention before considering whether or not I want to read it, and some people I think give up on things too easily or quickly. I rarely comment on things unless I really feel strongly about a story, and I felt this was one I wanted to share my feelings on.

As for your other work, I've started on another already, and I'm enjoying it so far. You might see another comment from me once I finish it. Slice of life, drama, and romance tend to be the bread and butter of my reading preferences, so it seems your genres of choice line up pretty well. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that follow up, and look forward to it.

8978327
It's blue the same kind as line's fur

9027848
Hey no hate here I am loving this story and that's the only hole I've really found. Seriously though kudos on this.

Login or register to comment