• Published 31st Aug 2016
  • 3,899 Views, 57 Comments

Oncoming Storm: Surface Tension - Chengar Qordath



Cloud Kicker and Rainbow Dash have been having some rather awkward problems lately, but when one of their friends is in trouble they'll have to put those issues aside to help her out. Assuming they can.

  • ...
20
 57
 3,899

Happy Ending (Shut up, Kicker)

Thankfully I didn’t have to wait too long to get some proper medical care. Apparently we’d wound up halfway across town thanks to our little tunnel adventure. The paramedics did a pretty good job of patching me up, at least well enough to get me to the hospital.

I was lying in a stretcher, enjoying the wonderful absence of pain that accompanied hospital-grade narcotics when the back doors opened up. Rainbow clambered in, looking down at me with a slightly nervous smile. “Hey. How you holding up?”

“A lot better.” I grinned at her. “They gave me some awesome painkillers. Hope they're still working when I get stitched up.” I paused in thought for a moment, then amended, “Or stapled. I heard they use staples sometimes. Faster than stitches, but ... yeah.” I glanced down at the bloody remnants of Rainbow’s skirt, which the EMTs had taken off when they’d put proper bandages on me. “Uh ... sorry about your...”

Rainbow scoffed and waved a hand dismissively. “I can go buy a new skirt anywhere. It’s a lot harder to buy a new Cloud.” She took a seat on my left side. “You are gonna be okay, right?”

“Yeah. Can’t be completely sure until the docs look at me, but the paramedics said it should just be a matter of cleaning and closing everything up then giving me some time to heal. Plus it looks like I might get to be roomies with Blossom.” I twinged a little bit at that, since my rubber-legs collapse had brought her down headfirst onto the ground. Still, Blossom had been coherent enough to complain about her headache ever since we got out of the tunnels, and the EMTs told me that was a good sign.

“Oh. Good.” Rainbow shifted in her seat. “I mean, she’ll probably feel better with a friend there.” She cleared her throat. “So, uh, Sunset and the others are gonna be here soon. Not sure if your mom got all the bugs, so we’re gonna do the whole rainbow laser thing just to make sure. Your Dad said he’d ... uh ... cover us. Oh, and from the pics I sent her, Sunset said those things were probably from Equestria. Something called changelings.”

“Oh, gotcha.” I certainly wasn’t going to complain about them making sure the bu—changelings were all dealt with. One run-in with them was enough for me.

“Any idea how long you’ll be in for?” Rainbow asked.

I shrugged with one shoulder. “Can’t say for sure until the docs look me over, but they'll probably just stitch me up, maybe give me a little extra blood, then hold me overnight just to make sure there’s no nasty surprises.”

“Oh. I guess that’s not so bad.” She tried to smile, but after a second it slipped off her face and her gaze fell to the floor, her feet scuffing along it. “Sorry ... don't ... I don't really know what to even say here. I mean, I'm used to being in the middle of all this stuff, but seeing you get caught up in it and hurt...”

“Hey.” I tried to sit up a bit so I could look her in the eyes. “It’s alright. I'm—well I can’t really say I’m okay while I’m sitting in the back of an ambulance, but it’s nothing they can’t fix. Gimme a week or two to heal up, and I’ll be right back out on the soccer field with you.”

“Good, you’re one of my best players.” She hesitated a moment, then slowly reached out to put one her hands over my good one. “So ... uh ... I heard there's a new Alien Robot Ninjas versus Psychic Vampire Pirates movie coming out. I know the last one was pretty cool, so I was thinking ... you know, if you wanna...”

I gently took her hand and squeezed it. “Sounds good.” Not that I could call those movies good in any sense of the word, but they usually entertained us. “So are we going there with anyone else, or is it kinda…?”

“Uh...” She hesitated and coughed. “You mean like a date-ish kinda thing?”

“Yeah.” I could feel my cheeks warming up. “Something like that.”

“Well...” Her cheeks were going pink too. “Yeah. You aren't getting rid of me that easy.”

I chuckled wearily. “Oh, I'm stuck with you now?”

“Darn straight.” She carefully poked me in the side. “You owe me a new skirt.”

“Why?” I angled my head to get a better view. Without the skirt all she had on was her bike shorts, which were both tight and ... well, short. Not to mention they’d picked up a few tears during our little excursion. “I like your current look.”

Rainbow scoffed softly and shook her head. “You would.”

“Well duh.” I chuckled and poked her in the belly. “Like you said back in the tunnels, I’m your girlfriend. Which means that not only am I allowed to look and like it, but it’d actually be kinda weird if I didn’t like looking at you.”

“I guess, yeah.” She smirked at me. “Well if you want to do more looking—or anything else—you'll have to get better soon.”

I pouted. “So you're not gonna come visit me?”

Rainbow grinned and leaned forward a bit. “Depends.”

I used my good arm to help sit a bit more. “On?”

“Well I'm not a big fan of hospitals. I'd need some sort of...” She move in so close I could barely see anything but her face. “Incentive.”

I grinned and pursed my lips. “Well, I could go for that...”

Rainbow reached over and grabbed my hair, pulling my head up to hers. I got about a third of the way through a yelp when she meshed her lips with mine; it was awkward, and a little painful given all of my injuries … and yet…

It was awesome.

I kissed her back, cradling her cheek in my hand. Sure it was weird and … weird, but after the hell we’d just walked out of, it felt good. Great, even. Even the first time in the locker room, I’d never felt this ... alive.

Just when things were really heating up, someone pointedly cleared their throat. Then I saw Mom standing at ambulance door, looking at us both with a single raised eyebrow. Rainbow leapt back from me with a startled yelp, her face bearing a distinct resemblance to a tomato. “Uh, hey Mrs. Kicker! I was just ... uh ... helping Cloud with a ... there was a thing in her...”

“I think I know exactly what you two were doing,” Mom shot back dryly. She looked back and forth between the two of us, let out a grunt, then turned back to Rainbow. “You saw what I did to those creatures in the tunnel, yes?”

Rainbow’s face quickly shifted from red to white. “Y-yeah...”

Mom nodded sharply. “Then you know what I do when someone hurts my daughter.” She slammed the ambulance doors shut.

Rainbow swallowed and sank down next to me. “Uh, Cloud? Your Mom’s kinda scary. Awesome, but scary.”

I smirked and poked her in the side. “You know, they say if you wanna know what your girlfriend will be like in twenty years, look at her mom...”

Rainbow chuckled weakly. “Well, at least I won’t get bored with you.”

I poked her again, grinning. “You better not.”

“Bah.” Rainbow glanced down at her phone. “So, uh, Sunset says she’ll be here in five minutes. Guess that means we can—”

My lips interrupted her before she could finish that sentence.

Author's Note:

As always, thanks to my pre-reading and editing team for all their hard work. Also, I would like to thank all my dedicated Patreon supporters. You guys are awesome.

Also, all my pre-readers want there to be an actual Alien Robot Ninjas versus Psychic Vampire Pirates movie, starring Danny Trejo and Bruce Campbell. It would be glorious.

Click here if you want to join the list of awesome people who support my writing.

Aaron Kevin Meighen
Aidan Hall
Batbrony
Benjamin McLaren
Borg Lord
Brion Wauters
Charles M. Hagmaier
Chris Hall
Christopher A Cope
Comma-Kazie
Creideiki
Cyanhyde
DaB.
Darkarma
Deep Cover
Dixie Daley
djthomp
Edmon Star
Emlyn Costilow
FallenAngelXy
Forderz
Jack
Jade Walters
James Miller
Jessica T
Justin Emery
Karl Bragisen
MoistGooDragon
Patrick
Ponibius
Singularity Dream
Stephen
Steven Ilten
Sweet Gale
Trinary
waritah
Zennyth

Comments ( 39 )

This story was delightful. A treat to edit! Interesting seeing some RainbowKicker stuff.

Speaking of editing...

Cloud Kicker and Rainbow Dash have been some rather awkward problems lately

I think you might be missing a word or two there.

Had to remind myself that Winningverse changelings can be pretty nasty indeed if they aren't Free Minds like Puzzle and Kukri.

IIs it normal that the narrator use the word 'changeling' in chapter 2, even if we do not know the creature is a changeling before chapter 3.

Rainbow and Blossom curled up against me on the floor as high-pitched skrees of pain followed the gunshots, along with angrier-sounding cries from the changelings.

I had fun reading this, as usual.

Alien Robot Ninjas versus Psychic Vampire Pirates movie

Someone needs to make this, it would be awesome

Comment posted by NotSoWickedWitch deleted Aug 31st, 2016

Heh, this is a pretty great fic! I think I might just have a new favourite ship!

A 5:1 ratio on a Chengar story? Someone's jimmies have been thoroughly rustled. :trollestia:

The real monsters in this story are the people who downvoted.

I've been waiting for a Rainbow x Cloud Fic for a while and can I just say this was totally worth it?

Heh, neat.:ajsmug:

The story is justy for Kicks, eh? :moustache:

Vampirates, duh.

Things between Cloud Kicker and Rainbow Dash have been ... weird. High school is a place where weirdness is practically the norm, especially as they transition into that teenagery weirdness that comes with—well, high school and teenagers: hormones, emotions, and the inevitable resulting confusion.

So they're lesbians, basically?

well that was adorable

Winningverse Equestria Girls? I approve. More along these lines would not be unappreciated!

7528080
I admit, main universe Cloud would have far too much fun if she ever learned of an AU where she and Rainbow were a couple. All the ruthless teasing of Rainbow...

7531466

Please make that a thing.

I've always wondered what Winningverse Cloud and Rainbow would be like if they were dating. I enjoyed this fic and ship. Great job!

It seems like no matter what universe they're in, Rainbow and Cloud always have to fight a changeling together. At least Cloud's mom didn't die this time! Fun story. I liked how the human versions of the WP characters were handled.

Dude, this was awsome.:pinkiehappy: Any sort of follow up would be amazing.

7540200
There's about twenty different variants on the list of basic gun safety rules, but they all cover more-or-less the same points of "99% of accidental shootings involved someone breaking one of these rules."

Only now I got to this, and in a way I'm glad - because it means that I was able to fill out an empty moment with this awesome story almost uninterrupted (I'm sneaky by reading a lot at work).

And as I said, it was awesome. I thought something else was up with Blossom, but it turned out my suspicions were wrong short afterwards. And this was even better than what I thought.

So, 'lings in the human world. And Cloud's mom shooting them down with her pistol.
Imagine how much fun it would have been (for her) if she marched in there with a portable gatling gun :rainbowlaugh:

And those parting words of hers... well, nobody can say she doesn't care for her daughter. A pretty unique way of showing it though.
But then again, that's Nimbus for you.

Heh. I like to see this glimpses into paralellel not-quite-Winningverse worlds.

While I very much enjoy all the Freeport stuff, I do kinda miss Sunset being able to meet up with Twilight (but hey, maybe one day, you'll get there...?) I'd be very interested were to to revisit this thing.



And it was nice to see at least one Nimbus getting her own back...

Finally decided to scratch this one off of my "read later" list.
Rather liked it. I quite enjoy the idea of the same basic characters, with a few changes here and there to their history, and seeing where it takes them.

It was also interesting to see Kicker's cool confidence (and sexuality I suppose) being tempered by the awkwardness that is being a teen.

Makes me curious as to what other changes you'd have in your characters if you did more EG based stories.

And would the world implode if both kickers met each other?

#1 Super awesome story

#2 LOVED the super awkward romance

#3 Great shipping

#4 MOAR!! <3

8049273
Well, there is another EQG story in the pipeline, with Nimbus getting a fair bit of focus.

7786353 in EqG world, Derpy is a high school student. She has not adopted a child near to her age :P

I saw this story's sequel pop in the box and found myself intrigued, and randomly decided to follow that and read its predecessor. I was pleasantly surprised when this turned into one of those things that I need in my life after going so long without it. Really, it's satisfying my need for Dash and Kicker to get together in some setting, and it's done amazingly well in the EQG universe at that. Yep, I really want more of this, so keep up the great writing!

~SolidFire

There's something oddly satisfying about a normal human taking down an army of magical monsters. No magical lasers, no portals, just a badass mom and some good old-fashioned bullets.

Did someone say BULLETS?!

Shut up, Deadpool.

Also, all my pre-readers want there to be an actual Alien Robot Ninjas versus Psychic Vampire Pirates movie, starring Danny Trejo and Bruce Campbell. It would be glorious.

You are correct.

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. :pinkiesmile:

Refreshing to see a new take on the characters, can't wait to see how, and if, Ditzy and Fluttershy fits into this in the next story.

Though I am guessing that the Sunset Shimmer in this story is not the same as in the Freeport stories?

9081889
It is? Well she could still get shot if she was taken by surprise. Anyway I doubt Nimbus would really shoot her, just shoot at her to drive her off. Maaaaybe a warning shot, trough her leg.

I didn't know how much I wanted to read an Equestria Girls take on the Winningverse until now. It's certainly novel, seeing a younger Cloud Kicker without the confidence and promiscuity that defines her pony self, and who is still subject to her parents' authority. I also like how the alternate universe is used to explore a different relationship dynamic than the main universe, one which arguably can't ever be explored in those stories because of the character differences. It reminds me a bit of Road Not Taken, but since Equestria Girls is a bizarre alternate universe rather than a close divergent timeline, this story doesn't have the same eyebrow-raising factor that Road Not Taken had, so I was able to just enjoy the ideas the story presents without asking a thousand questions in my head the whole time.

Speaking of the story's ideas, I find it a little concerning that multiple changelings were somehow able to make it into the human world. Seems like Twilight's castle has some security problems. Though, I guess we already knew that from the season six finale. Hmm. Maybe that's when they came through?

9167140
They could also have gotten through at any number of points over the last dozen or so centuries. The complete lack of proper sentries or perimeter defenses, and the inability to do an adequate infiltration job, suggests these changelings are regular enough drones who just ended up on that side of the portal and naturally migrated back in the direction of Equestrian magic. Neither Chrysalis nor any of the Free Minds need be implicated.

9778558

Maybe. I'm not sure. Changeling drones in the Winningverse supposedly aren't sentient or autonomous. They're all just vessels for Chrysalis, besides the ones she intentionally created with free will. Though given that the Winningverse is still following canon into season six and beyond, that may be different now? Still not clear on that.

9778650
I got the impression that while they do function as vessels for Chrysalis, and are produced to enable and continue her consciousness, they're still organic beings with brains, thoughts and instincts. It's just that most of her designs didn't bother to go much past the purely animal level. I'm assuming they are still networked to some extent, and that a version of "Blossom" which can talk is demanding resources from several drone brains and still is clearly missing a lot of basic stuff like real-time access to the podded Blossom's memories. They're pretty stupid, and likely have no real planning abilities beyond "wander around and taste love" (it's entirely possible that "Blossom" has no malicious intent towards the humans around her without an intelligence directing her emulated mind, but that the drones including her body still are natural and functioning predators), but I doubt a hive splinter cut off for the main "Chrysalis" would just drop dead.

9778953

Sorry for the late response.

I'm not sure what to make of the drones, really, because you're right that they probably wouldn't just drop dead, and that they're not showing much intelligence, but they are showing some. They're kidnapping people without being noticed, and impersonating them at least semi-competently given that they obviously don't have direct access to their memories. It doesn't seem like they're operating by animal instinct.

Although it's not canon to the Winningverse AFAIK, I think Return of Chrysalis from the IDW comics makes a good point of comparison here. In that comic, Chrysalis sent changelings to infiltrate Ponyville, but they were absolutely terrible at it. The changelings behaved more like mindless zombies than like the ponies they were supposed to replace. Not sure what the explanation is for that (in-universe, I mean; I have my own headcanons, of course), but I think it was meant to be an Invasion of the Body-Snatchers reference.

But those changelings really came across like mindless drones operating entirely by instinct. These changelings, in contrast, seem to have it together. Given that they're a universe away from Chrysalis, I doubt they're still under her control. But I guess what I'm really wondering is whether them showing this level of autonomy is intentional design, a mistake on Chrysalis's part, or just something the mirror did. Because by the time Thorax takes over the hive, changelings all seem to be individuals, but we know that wasn't always the case.

Login or register to comment