• Published 20th Aug 2016
  • 2,931 Views, 203 Comments

When it Rains - GreyGuardPony



Three hundred years since the fall of Equestria, fractured states stand in its place. Now as an old threat stirs Adagio Dazzle and five other mares must face one of the architects of Equestria's collapse.

  • ...
5
 203
 2,931

Epilogue

“...and that’s what I saw.”

Adagio idly swirled a goblet of wine as she finished her story. Her friends were silent as the implications of her vision hung heavily in the room. It was late at night, the group having met back at the manor after resting from the battle and their adventure. Will was resting upstairs again. Adagio would fill him in later.

“Well...I can certainly say that I’ve never heard of a changeling before,” Starlight frowned. “But I could do some research…”

“If you do, be subtle. In the game between Chrysalis, Sombra and Midnight and company, I don’t know everypony’s places,” Adagio sighed. “Maybe Chrysalis underwent an actual change of heart. Maybe she’s running her own plan. I just...don’t know yet.”

“Could you ask the Element of Magic? Wouldn’t it know?” Sonata asked.

Adagio reached a hoof up to the mane bane that was the Element of Magic. “Maybe...if I can work out how to talk to it.”

“I can do some experiments. See if there’s a way we can reliably talk to them.” Starlight sighed.

“What are we actually going to do though?” Aria frowned, idly waving a hoof. “We’re knights now. Echidna is still out there. We’re going to get dragged back into this and we need to know what we’re going to do!”

“Echidna needs to be stopped, that much is clear,” Lightning declared.

“And The Heartlands need to be protected,” Suri added.

“Then…maybe that’s the answer,” Adagio mused. “We protect The Heartlands. From all threats.”

Starlight raised an eyebrow. “Including Queen Chrysalis?”

“If she proves to be one. We work together, look for allies, protect The Heartlands. Do some actual good in this country.”

“Aren’t we becoming altruistic all of a sudden,” Suri lightly chided her. Though she smiled all the same.

“Are we in agreement then?” Adagio asked, looking at each of her friends in turn.

One by one they nodded, the pact silently sealed. Adagio took a long draught of her wine, musing about their current situation. Six mares intending to save a country by themselves.

A conspiracy of friendship.

Author's Note:

Even with a more heroic bent, Adagio gonna Adagio.

Though is it really wrong to scheme against your ruler when you can't be sure about their intentions? ....Admittedly, Adagio might scheme anyway. But in this case I think she's justified. The question of what Queen Chrysalis' motivations are will come in a future fic. But for now, I'll leave you all guessing!

*evil laughter!*

Comments ( 23 )

Very little I can say other than excellent epilogue. And, indeed, you have some pretty valid points.

Nothing else to say but good work. Is Queen Chrysalis really evil? If she was, she would have made her move right now? Well I guess I have to keep on reading to find out.

JMP

Well now I need to follow and make sure I don't miss the sequel. The conspiracy behind Equestria's fall and the rise of Sombra and Chrysalis' rise as the leaders of the succeeding Heartlands is to interesting to give up.

Excellent job on this story. It was an absolute blast to read and I enjoyed every second of it.

Nice, job with this AU, I was pleasantly surprised. I look forward to more in the future, but here's hoping for more Skitch-Sketch first. :twilightsmile:

8050113

Adagio's curse of "Ascrids!" is more of a generic curse. Since they're intestinal worms, she's basically saying "Shit!" but in a more equine pun based way! :pinkiehappy:

8050267

In my defense, Fluttershy did just wake up after a three hundred year nap and might have been letting the crankiness get to her. Especially once Adagio kind of half turned Chroma/Rainbow Dash against her. The next time she shows up, she'll be keeping that faux motherly persona a bit tighter.

8050127

Mmmm. So sure about Chroma's death are we? *Yoda Laugh*

8050358

Possibly. I'll have to see if it'd fit in for a stand alone story, or if it might work better as part of a larger tale. Won't promise anything right now though!

8050381

Yeah, it's almost like the villains are something like a bunch of hypocrites! :derpytongue2:

8050475

I feel like any AU with Adagio as the Element of Magic requires some amount of political intrigue. It feels like such a natural fit for our siren friend.

8050540

The Skitchverse will be returning. I swear! Skitch-Sketch snuck into my house and she's refusing to leave until she gets her stories being told again.

8050788

Yup. Echinda underestimated them a bit this time. She won't be making that mistake again! :flutterrage:

8051002

Echidna has the Rainbow of Darknes, so she could turn Rainbow into Chroma once again. But I guess the process must be voluntary ( for otherwise Scorpan wouldn´t have bothered deceiving the Six in the first place), So Rainbow must be forced by her friend into accepting her "help".
I shudder thinking in what torments Fluttershy will bring over Dash in order to break her will.:twilightoops:


Five Rulers this is good stuff! Please tell me you're going to do a setting guide for this universe at some point! Or at least a map, I like maps. Also, does anybody know if there's a group for this setting yet?

I already have a couple of stories I want to do in this setting, if you don't mind.

8053104

There will be setting guides and groups and all that fun stuff coming for it, just as soon as my schedule opens up a bit more and I finish some other outstanding projects.

Glad to hear you have ideas though! Naturally feel free to PM me about what they are so we can brainstorm.

8054353 So, what are we calling this universe? Dagi-6? Midnight? Greyguard's Negaverse?

8065325

I'm kind of partial to the Rainsverse myself. It feels like the natural title to flow from this first fic.

8065941 The Rainsverse

I saved you some time and effort.

Hey,

It took a while, and for that I apologise, but I've (finally) reviewed your story for the PCARG. You can find the review here.

8224887

Hehe. Well, I won't say that you're right or wrong on any of those so far. But I'm really looking forward to seeing your feelings once you finish every chapter up!

“Then…maybe that’s the answer,” Adagio mused. “We protect The Heartlands. From all threats.”

Starlight raised an eyebrow. “Including Queen Chrysalis?”

All threats... foreign and domestic.

I have to commend how well you dodge the same bullets most AU's get struck by. The setting is immediately interesting and different, and there's plenty of direction for the rest of the series beyond simply modifying the show. The threat of the evil Alicorns is worth a lot of focus, and the questions about Sombra and Chrysalis are intriguing.

8371892

Thank you Kai! Glad that you were entertained by my little AU rambling here. :twilightsmile:

I love alternate Elements fics. This is going to be a blast!

And here we are. Technically, Adagio never fired her guards but a discussion will need to be had. Ponyville is also going to need a lot of rebuilding and restructuring. I just hope Fancy Pants still in Canterlot and outta Adagio's and Ponyville's way.

Wow, great story! Going through the rest of your stuff, I see that the sequel is published and completed, so I'm definitely on bored with reading that, along with anything else you publish in this series!

9152522

Thanks Mug! Glad you enjoyed this little AU of mine! :twilightsmile:

9159992

Thanks! Like I've said before, I'm glad that you enjoyed the story. And thank you so much for reviewing it! I really appreciate it, since it was already reviewed in the group and you didn't have to do it again.

I regret not looking into this story while you were still with us, but thank you for a fascinating AU all the same.

Login or register to comment