• Published 29th May 2012
  • 2,294 Views, 63 Comments

Conversion Bureau: A Girl's Wish - Lux



A girl meets an unlikely friend and wishes for a new life

  • ...
29
 63
 2,294

One Month Later

The Conversion Bureau

A

Girl's

Wish

By Lux

Chapter 10 – One Month Later

“I'm going to play in the field, mom!” Air Heart said.

“OK, honey,” the white Pegasus pony said as she sat on the bench. “Be safe!”

Air Heart then flew past the playground equipment towards the field. She wasn’t the best flyer just yet, but at least she was able to soar and glide a little now that she learned some things from Flight School .

She landed in the middle of the field and looked up at the clear blue sky as if waiting for something - or more importantly, somepony. Suddenly the pink pony saw a Pegasus circling above before descending. The Pegasus came to a hard stop, kicking up some grass and dirt which flew in the breeze.

“Hi, Swift!” Air Heart said to the pony that just landed.

“Hi, Air!” Swift said, “Are you ready to have fun flying today?”

“I sure am!!!” Air Heart said squealing with delight.

“Great! I think I’ll teach you how play sky tag today.”

“Sky tag?” Air said with a confused look. “How do you play that?”

“Like this...” Swift said as she walked over to the pink pony and tapped her on the shoulder, “Tag! You’re it! Bet you can’t catch me!”

With that Swift took off back into the sky and then stopped and looked at the pony on the ground with a smile.

“Oh, I’m so going to catch you!” Air said as she took off into the air.

The two pegasus pony friends darted and dodged in the sky. From the ground they looked like two colored dots dancing in the sky. Occasionally one could hear them shout, “Tag! You’re it!”

Air Heart’s mom smiled as watched the two. She reminisced at how what seemed like a long time ago was really only a few months, and how these two met, and how after that their lives had changed forever. Then she realized that this is how life should be, filled with laughter and friends and love. Air Heart’s mother hoped that she would retain her childhood innocence throughout the rest of her life. Perhaps then the world, be it for humans or ponies, would be better if seen through the eyes of a child.

THE END

(Author’s Note: Thank you for reading, liking, and adding this story to your favorites. All are greatly appreciated. I had a really fun time putting a new slant on a Conversion Bureau story by using a child as a main character. Also a special thanks to Chatoyance for helping to edit this work and give it some nice finishing touches to it.)

Comments ( 24 )

So very sweet and beautiful. Marvelous.

Thank you for writing this, Lux. It made my heart sing.

I agree with what Chatoyance said a few chapters ago about how this reads like a pamphlet that Conversion Bureau advocates would hand out. Very cute, light story. We often lose sight of how heavy and "grown-up" most TCB storylines are. This was pretty refreshing.

I love the tone of how you write. I've never seen anything like it before.

Although, you might want to find somebody to help you with some minor editing issues. For instance:
"[centerThe End]"

Lux

I read Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Very dark book but with childhood innocense.

Fortunately this little story could fit in most TCB timelines, so there's that.

There, for as long as it lasts, even odds.:rainbowdetermined2:

A lovely little story, short and sweet.:twilightsmile:

I just love this story. :pinkiehappy:

One of my top TCB stories that I like. :twilightsmile:

What a nice short and sweet story this was. Made me feel like a little boy again running around on the footy field. So have a star and a thumb and my eye as well.

Lux

Hmm... must have missed that one.

What a sweet little tale.
No one gets killed, no oh so heavy philosophical debates and no "ponies/humans are superior" rants.
I could get used to this.:pinkiesmile:
The only thing I really missed was the conversion dream, having Luna or Celestia welcome a child, I would have liked to see that.

Lux

I'd like to think that Conversion Bureaus have to ponify hundreds of humand per day, so converting a family at once can happen.

And I wanted to add Fluttershy as she would be a gentler pony to Penny.

I'd like to think that Penny dreaned the same dream being a Pegasus and flying ariound with Swift.

Lux

Heh... forgot that! No added chapters, this on'e done.

How is this possible 24 dislikes!:pinkiegasp: any way more likes than dislikes.:pinkiehappy: good story.

Lux

The dislikes are, in my opinion, sometimes due to the fact that it's a Conversion Bureau related fic. Balderdash I say (always wanted to use that word), but I ignore the dislikes.

Just finished reading, thank for this adorable tale of a child's dream and innocence. :twilightsmile:

Lux

Thanks!

You carry this style well. I could definitely see the story as being the sort to be read to a child out loud. It has that kind of cadence.

Thank you.

Lux

2852544

Many of the Conversion Bureau stories have a dark tone to them (dystopian Earth, warring factions between those who want humans to become ponies and those that want to preserve humans, persecution, etc.)

I wanted to take a step back and see things from a child's eyes about the wonder of feeling what it would be like to fly which was added to the fact that Penny's friend is a Pegasus.

I do plan to make another Conversion Bureau story, one that's way darker that what you've read here. I may also go and do something light like this one but that won't be for a while as I have several other stories to tell.

Well, finished, and now, I think I'll give my final assessment.
[youtube=gulVml0GHXM]

I read all of it in one sitting. Truly one of the best conversion stories I've read.

Lux

Thank you.

I took the non militaristic route with this one and made it from a child's perspective: innocence and wonder.

Good use of short chapters.

Login or register to comment