• Published 29th May 2012
  • 2,293 Views, 63 Comments

Conversion Bureau: A Girl's Wish - Lux



A girl meets an unlikely friend and wishes for a new life

  • ...
29
 63
 2,293

A Pegasus in the Park

The Conversion Bureau

A

Girl's

Wish

By Lux

Chapter One – A Pegasus in the Park

“Alright Penny,” the child’s mother said lovingly to her, “I’ll be here on the bench. Please be safe and check back with me, OK?” The girl turned towards her mother and with a smile said, “OK, mommy”. Penny was about eight years old with beautiful short blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. She always seemed full of energy and had a smile that lit up the room and brightened up the saddest of times.

She was almost ready to leave when she turned around and ran back to her mother. “Oh, I almost forgot Peggy!” Peggy was the name of her pink Pegasus plush with a white mane and tail. Penny would always carry it with her wherever she would go. She would even sleep with it every night. To her Peggy wasn’t just a thing of comfort or a companion. This plush creature was what she truly wished to be. Taking the soft creature in her hand, she turned and ran back towards the playground.

She passed by the playground equipment and headed towards the open expanse of grass that was dotted by a few trees. Ever since she could walk, Penny was more of a fan of this area than the playground. Here she could run, jump, dance, and just let her imagination run wild. She got about halfway across the grassy plain when she suddenly stopped. Something caught her mind, only it wasn’t around her, but flying above her.

As she watched she at first thought the creature in the sky was a bird. After all it did have wings. Then she realized that it couldn’t be a bird as it was way too big and that its body looked like a horse. Penny looked at the creature, then at Peggy, then back at the creature. She then realized that the creature she was watching was a living breathing Pegasus!

The Pegasus, seeing the girl looking up at her, felt that she should go down and at least meet her. She curved back around and prepared to land. Unfortunately her landing was not as smooth as she wanted it to be and she ended up crashing into the ground, skidding a few feet before coming to a stop just before where Penny was standing.
“Oh are you OK?” Penny said as she ran to the Pegasus.

“Yeah, I’m OK,” she said as she got up, “I need to work on those landings. Anyway, I’m Swift Wing, but you can call me Swift. What’s your name?”

“I’m Penny, nice to meet you! You’re a great flyer.”

“Thanks,” the Pegasus said. “I’m still getting used to flying. It’s trickier than it looks.”

“Did you just learn to fly?” Penny said as she tried to understand what she said.

“Well, actually, I wasn’t born a Pegasus. I used to be a girl like you.”

Penny was amazed about what she heard. It sounded, like something out of a fairytale her parents read to her in bed. “How did you become a Pegasus?”

“Well, I don’t remember much of that day. I remember my parents took me to this place. It was kind of like a hospital. I remember going into a room and drinking some purple stuff. Then I fall asleep, and when I woke up, I was a Pegasus. And actually my mommy became a Pegasus too and my dad became a unicorn.”

“Did it hurt or anything?” Penny asked, as she hated when she had to get a shot at the doctor’s office.

“Nah, it didn’t hurt. I did feel a little strange waking up and getting used to the new me though.”

“What’s it like to fly? I always wanted to know.”

“Oh it’s amazing! I feel so free being able to go anywhere. Sure it took time learning how to fly, but I’m so happy that I can.”

“So um… Swift, do you want to play?”

“Sure!”

With that the human and the Pegasus took off into the field, playing games and letting their imagination run wild. To them, they were not two separate creatures. They were just kids having fun. Yet within Penny’s mind a tiny flame of inspiration grew as she wondered how a person could become a Pegasus. She was always a fan of that creature and wondered what it would be like to fly.

After what seemed like an eternity, Penny heard the familiar call of her mother, signaling the end of their time there, and the end of playing with Swift Wing.

“That’s my mom calling. Looks like I have to go.”

“Ok then,” Swift said as she hugged her, “I guess I’ll see you here again hopefully.”

“You mean, you want to play with me again?”

“Sure! We’re friends right?”

“Right!” Penny said enthusiastically, “so I’ll see you later!”

With that Penny walked across the field, back to her mother and the world she knew. Yet something happened that day that changed her outlook and purpose in life. In meeting her new friends, she saw what she wanted to become.