• Published 29th May 2012
  • 2,294 Views, 63 Comments

Conversion Bureau: A Girl's Wish - Lux



A girl meets an unlikely friend and wishes for a new life

  • ...
29
 63
 2,294

A Dinner Time Surprise

The Conversion Bureau

A

Girl's

Wish

By Lux

Chapter 5 – A Dinner Time Surprise

A short time later, Penny sat at the dinner table with her parents and her friend Swift. The fourth chair, which had hardly been used by anyone, was now occupied by the Pegasus.

“Swift, tonight we’re having chicken,” Penny’s mom said, “Is that OK for you?”

“Well I don’t actually eat meat,” Swift said, “but I can definitely have the vegetables.”

“OK then,” Penny's mom said as she handed Swift the salad bowl.

The four then proceeded to have their dinner. Penny noticed that instead of the usual ritual of talking about their day as well as other things, her parents were very quiet. The two were looking at each other, as if they wanted to tell her something. Finally after a few minutes of awkward silence, her father spoke.

“Penny, your mother and I wanted to ask you something.“

“What is it daddy?” Penny said curiously as she took a bite of her chicken.

“Well, honey,” her mother said, “your father and I were talking and we know that you love your Pegasus things, and I can see that you are really good friends with Swift here. That’s one of the reasons why I wanted her to stay for dinner.”

“Really? What’s going on?” Penny said as she looked over to her friend sitting next to her who shared an equally confused look on her face.

"Well, honey, we were thinking about possibly going to the Conversion Bureau soon. You know what that place is, right?”

Penny thought for a moment about the name of the place. Then, as if a light went on in her mind her face lit up, “Is that the place where people become ponies?”

“Yes it is Penny,” her dad said.

“So, does that mean that we’re going to become ponies?” Penny asked hardly being able to contain her excitement.

“Yes, Penny, we will.” her father said. “We were thinking about it for about a month now, but after seeing your friend Swift here, well that just helped us to decide. Of course, we wanted to tell you before we decided to schedule a date for it to happen.”

“So, Penny, are you interested?” her mom said.

“Yes, I am!” she said without hesitation.

“Now before we say yes to this for sure, Penny, there are a few rules that we as a family have to follow,” her father said. “We would have to move, and we couldn’t take anything with us, so you would have to give up what you have.”

“Why couldn’t we stay in our house?” Penny asked slightly confused.

“Well honey,” her mom tried to explain, “Those are the rules to becoming a pony. And this house wasn’t really built for ponies to live in. But don’t worry. We’ll have a new house to live in and you’ll get all new things.”

“Can I still be friends with Swift?” Penny asked.

“Sure you can!” Swift said, “Can she, Penny’s parents?”

“Yes Penny,” her dad said, “you can still be friends with Swift.”

“Can I be a Pegasus?” Penny asked.

“Well, the ponies at the Conversion Bureau said that we can’t pick what type of pony we want to be,” her mother said, “It’s like how we can’t pick what color hair or eyes we have. Hopefully, however, when you become a pony, you can be a Pegasus.”

Penny’s heart sank a little at the thought of being so close to becoming what she always wanted only to possibly not get it. But there was still hope, and in a child’s mind hope was all she needed.

So, what do you think?” Penny’s father asked. “Would you still like to be a pony?”

“Yes, I would love to become a pony! Oh Swift, I’m going to be like you soon.”

With that the two started dancing as they squealed in delight, unable to hold back their excitement. Penny’s parents watched the two, their child’s happiness pushing aside any doubts or fears in their mind.