• Published 14th Nov 2014
  • 4,592 Views, 936 Comments

My Little Heartbreak: More With a Kind Word and a Hard Hoof - Jet_Black1980



When Heartbreak falls ill, Fluttershy takes it upon herself to not only make sure she gets better, but afterwards try to teach her a lesson about kindness! But things are easier said than done, especially with the animals giving H.B. an evil eye...

  • ...
24
 936
 4,592

Allergic to Kindness

Chapter 40

Allergic to Kindness

Groaning can be heard among a muffled set of voices...

The groaning is mine.

As the darkness in my eyes parts, I see who those voices belong to, or rather I see blurry outlines that soon come into focus... and along with them... a slow thumping of a hangover pounding in my skull.

"Fffffffet...locks... where..." booting up Heartbreak.exe... systems check... loading... loading... computer lingo here... technology sounds! Technology sounds! Those are the sounds of technology!

"You're in the hospital! Quick! How many hoovies am I holding up?" Pinkie's voice blares into my ears.

"Five?" Fuck! I said that out of habit!

"Haaa! You're so funny H.B.!" Gaaaaaaaaah my ears! It makes everything too bright!!

"You'll be happy to know that the operation was a complete success! Congratulations! It's a girl!" A voice comes that my brain finally registers as Dr. Nickers.... wait... What?!

"Wait?! What?!" I shriek and try to move but something is hindering me from getting up and... out... and? I'm in a hospital bed?!

"Oh... ha... ha... so sorry, did I mean operation?"

'Dr.', and I'm going to use that term in the loosest way possible from now on, Nickers nervously snickers. "I meant that we successfully x-rayed and put a cast on your foreleg!" He rubs the back of his head while shrugging. "I get those two mixed up more than you would think! But good news! I did it right on the first try this time!"

He sounded way too proud of that.

"Woooow... That’s ammmmmazimg... isn't that ammmmmaaazing, Pinkie? It totally reassures me that I'm in good h-hooves..." I'm not sure if this is crabtastic cause the pink one assured me that this time the doctor would be different! They weren't different at all were they Pinkie?!

"Reaaally?" Pinkie asks with a big wide filly eyes.

I don't even have to say anything, Pinkie's reaction to my face said it all. I swear, I'm just this close to screaming.

"Oh..." Pinkie's features droop... fetlocks...

"I... guess you did your best and everything turned out fine." I don't know what else to say. Pinkie's perk perks a little and a small smile returns to her face.

"That's all great!" Dr. Nickers interjects "now all we have to do is wait for the cast to fully dry and if you want to see the x-rays, you can! We took those while you were muttering something about... pink bunnies or evil Celestia... Ha, I don't know, it was really funny!"

I feel a colder chill go down my spine...

"Did I say anything else while I was out?" Please nothing about getting turned into a pony... or a mare... please, please, please!

"Oh no, after that you were pretty much out of it, which was great for me!" He gives me a worrisome smile. He must have caught my glare cause he's waving his hooves at me. "Oh no, no, no, what I mean was that it was really easy to wrap your leg! I hope you like lilacs... the color was Pinkie's suggestion!"

Pinkie glances over at me, yet again, a hopeful glimmer in her eye.

My anger is fizzling, between Fluttershy's quiet softness, Cream Puff’s cute charm, and Pinkie Pie’s everlasting joy, it's really hard to stay mad at the ponies!

"You're lucky that I happen to like lilacs, both the flowers and the colors." It's true... they grow everywhere in Spokane. Ope, that's some memories triggered about when i moved from Washington to Minnesota almost on a whim... fuck, Nickers is still here...

"Great! Now I have a friend- I mean patient to meet up with!" Dr. Nickers stops just short of exiting. "It's Trot McColt! The famous movie star! You might remember him from such classics as 'Gladius the Groovy Mule' and "Radioactive Mustang'!"

God... dammit, Equestria... just...stop...

"No? Ha... oh well, he's in the hospital due to an accident involving mermare!"

... Please make it stop...

"Well, okie dokie! I have to go now!" He trots out the door.

“Ugh...” Finally, with things going on and on as they are, the last thing I need is a Simpsons reference pony. Really, how many other doctor based-

Pinkie boops me! Gah! “You can do an inner monologue later! I wanna know about your love of lilacs!”

I can feel my ears fall down. I really need to get that hat that High Hat sent me cleaned...

“Hey! Lilacs!” Pinkie clip-claps her hooves at me.

“What? Oh, right. Yeah. I like lilacs. I grew up around them, they smell nice and look... pretty?” I don’t know what to say. Pinkie is so random that I don’t know where she’s going with this, and my leg is still... in pain but not? It’s a weird sensation.

"Really?! That's awesome! Oh! I know a pony named Lilac Blaze! You two might get along really well! She's all about art and nature and-"

My hoof goes up to Pinkie's uuuuhm... pink-a-riffic? Yes, Pink-a-riffoc snoot to boop.

Hey, if she can do that to me to quiet Goth Bunny, I can do it to Pinkie Pie to interrupt whatever she’s gonna go on about. If it’s important, she’ll tell me later.

Wait... Goth Bunny... she... she... Oh fetting hell... Goth Bunny, you up there? Gothy? Hello?

=========

As Heartbreak held her hoof to the honker belonging to Pinkie Pie, her face completely changed in an instant.

Her face drained of color as her eyes went wide and her ears drooped down.

"Something the matter, H.B.?" Pinkie asked, her voice sounding goose-like due to the perforated hoof placed on it.

"Uhm..." came Heartbreak's uneasy panicked reply. "Nothing... I just remembered some details from that... hallucination."

"Which is in no way my or the hospital’s fault!" Dr. Nickers interjected, his head popping back into the room.

Pinkie's head tilted and then put an ear to Heartbreak's head as if she was listening at a door.

"What are you-"

"Shhhh!" Pinkie hushed, before after which a few moments later, she gently booped the dower right off H.B.'s face. "Everything's okie dokie lokie, Heart-a-pokie!" she beamed.

"That means that everything is A-OK, right?" Dr. Nickers asked, wiping sweat from his forehead.

"It's kinda cold in this room, " Heartbreak said, the color returning to her face at Pinkie's reassurance.

“Well, you are sitting under the AC,” Dr. Nickers waved a hoof to his left, and give a giggle. “Or it could be the wind coming off your shoulder!”

Heartbreak gave an icy glare and said nothing.

“Oh! Ha, ha! I see what you mean about it being cold! I think I should be going now!”” Dr. Nickers pulled the collar on his coat. “Here I go! For reals this time!" he saidfinally leaving the room.

=========

Cream Puff cheerfully adjusted the almost iridescent muffins in the box that Mrs. Cake had generously given her.

The whole kitchen had taken on a rich creamy, buttery aroma with hints of bright lemons and playful blueberries tumbling in the air with caramelized notes of raw sugar.

She looked over the fruits of her and Fluttershy's labor and felt a swell of mixed emotions. On one hoof, she felt pride in recreating one of her Ma's recipes, on the other hoof, sadness that it wasn't H.B. who was the one to help, and still on the other other hoof, grateful that she even got the opportunity to cook anything in an actual kitchen!

But of the nine muffins that had been produced, she had saved four on a plate with a small note written expressing as much thanks as she could in what space a three by three sticky note folded in half could.

"Would you like my help carrying the box?" Fluttershy asked, her mane dusted with flour bits of dried batter.

"Nah, Ah got it, Missus Fluttershy!" Cream Puff replied, closing, taping, and then carefully edged the box onto her back.

"Maybe the Cakes could spare a ribbon, to help secure the box in place? After all, we wouldn't want anything to happen to the muffins on the way to the hospital..." Fluttershy fretted feathers fitfully, flickering to and fro.

"Aw, yer worrin' too much, Missus Fluttershy," Cream Puff began only to see the mare's clearly frazzled, fearful, frightful state. "Although, it never hurts ta goin’ an’ takin’ extra care in a special delivery! So if yer willin’ ta bow me up with a ribbon, Ah’d gladly take yer kindness!”

Fluttershy visibly relaxed and fetched a pink ribbon that was clearly meant for Hearts and Hooves day as it was adorned with red and white hearts. Gently wrapping it around Cream Puff’s barrel, she secured the box with a cute bunny eared bow.

“Is that good?” Fluttershy asked.

Cream Puff moved a bit and made a sharp spin to test the bow. “Yup! Yer pretty good at tyin’ knots there, Missus Fluttershy!”

“Please, you can just call me ‘Fluttershy’... uhm, if that’s alright with you...”

“Oh, okay then!” Cream Puff flexed a bit. “Yeah, yer still really good at tying them knots an’ bows Mis... uhm...” She stopped, catching herself. “Fluttershy.”

“I’ve had practice and watched Applejack and Rainbow Dash quite a bit,” Fluttershy said, picking up her things and going towards the door.

“Huh, Ah guess workin’ on the farm, Missus Applejack would need ta know her way around a rope. What with all them critters she’s got.” Cream Puff concluded following after. “But why’s Missus Dash involved?”

Fluttershy blinked and the tiniest of blushes pasted her cheeks as they were about to walk out of Sugar Cube Corner. “Well, uhm I-”

“Mind Stowing’ that thought for a hot minute?” Cream Puff asked, turning her head back. “Missus Cake! We cleaned up the best we could an’ are gonna head out now!”

Just then, Mr. Cake quickly rounded the corner, his frantic frazzled face looking at the departing ponies pleadingly.

“Ssssssh!” he hushed with desperation in his eyes. “Sorry, but Mrs. Cake just got the twins to sleep, and I need to take a tally of the pistachio nuts!”

“Oh! Sorry!” Fluttershy squeaked, her ears drooping. “We just... uhm, needed to make sure that you or that somepony knew that we were leaving now...”

“Oh... Alright... thanks!” Mr. Cake said, looking over a list and trying to check something.

“Mr. Cake, Sir? We left ya’all somethin’ on the kitchen counter as a thanks on accountin’ ya’all allowed us ta go an’ use yer kitchen an’ all...” Cream Puff shyly said, fighting to keep her voice down. “Ya really would like it, seein’ that ya look like ya need a break.”

“Huh? Oh! Thank you, Cream Puff!” Mr. Cake said, looking up from the paperwork.

“Nah’, Ah’ should be thankin’ ya’all! Ya’all be havin’ a sweet day, Mr. Cake!” Cream Puff said, walking out the door and turning back to Fluttershy. “Now,... uhm... oh yeah, why’s Missus Dash helpin’ Missus Applejack with her ropes?”

“Oh, well-” Fluttershy began, the door closing behind her.

Mr. Cake sighed and after a bit, processed what the cream colored blob had said. “You know what? I do deserve a break!” he said, folding up the paperwork and stuffing it in his tail pocket.

Coming into the kitchen, he nearly passed the plate of delicious looking muffins, but their warm, luscious, buttery, lemony, blueberry delicious aroma practically stopped him in by his nostrils and pulled him back.

“Mmmmmm!” He exclaimed, taking a good long sniff of the gift left behind.

After going to the fridge for a pat of butter, he proceeded to slice one open and was greeted with the wafting of light flavorful steam.

“Ooooh, yeeeah...” He grinned, buttering the opened and after which he took a generous bite, his eyes rolling back as the dazzling flavors danced on his tongue. Suddenly, he felt a gentle brush of a hoof on his shoulder that gave him a bit of a jump!

“Oh, what’s going on here now?” Mrs. Cake asked, giving a playful side eye to her husband. “Been a while since I’ve seen that look in your eye... Should I be jealous? Leave you two alone to... finish?” she teased playfully.

Mr. Cake's eyes went wide in surprise at the sudden appearance. He then pushed to swallow hard and poured a cup of strong coffee before gulping it down to get the muffin matter to pass. “Oh geez...”

“Are you okay? I didn’t mean to startle you, I was just giving you some crust!” Mrs. Cake cried with a bit of panic in her voice.

“Y-yeah, I’m good, whew!” Mr. Cake gasped after regaining his composure. “Just having one of these fantastic muffins Cream Puff left for us! Want a bite?” he asked, offering some up.

“Tempting, but I had a large lunch and I’m just burnt out from getting Pumpkin and Pound down... but maybe later.” she replied, yawning. “Are they as good as your face is making them out to be?” she hesitantly asked.

Mr. Cake finished his treat and then drank the rest of his coffee. “I would say almost as good as Puff Pastery’s...” he replied. A small quiet grew between the married couple. “You know, we could maybe give her an apprenticeship...” came the suggestion that broke the silence.

“Oh, I don’t know, we can’t just kick Pinkie out!” she waffled.

“We don’t have to do that, she could maybe stay with your friend from the FillyDelphia cooking school... Bitter Sweets?” he suggested.

Mrs. Cake looked hesitantly at the floor. “Maybe but I...” she bit her lip and swallowed really hard.

“Heeeey,” Mr. Cake put his hoof under his wife’s chin. “None of what happened with Puff Pastry or the B. Hive incident was your fault.”

Mrs. Cake turned teary eyed. “But I was the one that introduced them all to ea-”

Mr. Cake kissed his wife’s pole and she just closed her eyes and sighed contentedly, melting like so much butter on the muffins. He then looked his love deeply in the eyes. “You can’t keep blaming yourself for the mess in somepony elses’ kitchen, Cupcake. They made their choices and the consequences were a bunch of burnt bakery goods. All of that was completely out of your hooves, what is within our power is a chance for that little filly to maybe get a shot at a life and away from that awful orphanage.”

Mrs. Cake sighed. “I suppose you’re right.” She quickly pecked him on the lips and tousled his chest fluff. “I can talk to Bitters about it tomorrow and see what she thinks. Until then...” She snagged the paperwork from his tail. “I’ll take care of this if you make sure that the twins stay napping...”

=========

Rat ran through the three labyrinthine maze of tunnels and twists, hurrying as far as his little legs would allow him to scurry.

He had to get to that pony vet place! Get there before Angel Bunny! Stop that rabbit before he could do something worse!

How could a little rat get all the way to a place like Sugar Cube Corner that was near the center of town to the Ponyville hospital that was more near the outer edge?

Magic.

Now, dear readers, it's not like the magic of the ponies or the other myriad of higher species that call the land of Equestria home.

It's not the spell craft that unicorns boast about, or the weather warping of pegasus, or even the Eponain plant growth of the earth ponies.

It might not be any of those things, but as long as any creature lived, ate, slept, and breathed in the land of Equestria while calling it home?

There would always be a spark of some kind of magic within them.

It is different among every member of the Ovid: Rabbits were swifter than the wind, dogs could always find their pack and knew when a pony was bad, cats knew the secrets that others did not, owls had the wisdom others could not, reptiles knew the things that others were meant not to know.

Rats have many of those things, but they have something more. Rats have the knowledge of all tunnels and mouse holes in the area of living and with that power, they could Warp the very fabric of storage and arrive somewhere without breaking a sweat.

Jump up, another jump up! Drop down, further down! Go left! Go right, left, right, tunnel B, tunnel A, down out this mouse house and he was at the pony vet!

"But where is the Heartbreak pony?" Rat asked himself, scampering up into the white cork board tiles of the ceiling so he could have a better scope and stay out of the view of any of the ponies...

He was after all... a rat...

"I, Rat, could hear Angel Bunny now, wuffling about how he is a filthy, sickness spreading, disgu-"

"H.B.!" Came the joyous cries of a familiar sounding little filly. "Yer OK!" she giggled happily, rearing and kicking about. "Oooh, ya got yerself there an awfully purty cast!"

"Please settle down, " a nurse pony with golden eyes, a black mane, and sandy tan coat requested. "We have patients that are resting."

"Sorrah, Ma'am, thank you ma'am." The Cream Puff filly apologized.

=========

"You got that book back to...” She looked confused for a moment. ”Nurse... Biscotti? Nurse Redheart?" The tan mare asked the nurse pony, her eyes narrowing at the cover. "More with a kind-"

Nurse Goodfilly promptly lowered the book so the cover couldn't be read. "There's no need to act so rudely, dear Heartbreak."

"H.B., please." Heartbreak snorted, staggering as she realized she couldn't stomp her hoof.

"Fine, H.B.," Goodfilly retorted. "I would have shared what I was reading, but you took that tone with me and Nurse Redheart will get the book back when I'm done with it. I swear, just when I think I'm about to put it down, the author adds five more chapters with unprompted backstories, a load of the main character complaining, unnecessary exposition, and fourth wall breaks. Good thing she's a somewhat competent writer with an excellent editorial staff, else I would have stopped reading ages ago!"

The Heartbreak pony only rolled her eyes. "I just thought you could have asked Cream Puff to be quieter in a nicer tone... I didn't ask for an info dump..."

"I'm merely doing my job..." Robyn muttered to herself. "Oh, and the main character is a bit compelling and ever so cute!"

"Can I sign yer cast, H.B.? An' why is it that purpley color?" Cream Puff asked, still in an excitable mood.

"Maybe when we're back at my house and I'm not feeling like my head is going to explode. Fetting Dr. Nickers gave me something that was strong, and I just want to lay on my couch and pretend like I don't exist for a while..." Heartbreak ended bitterly. “And Pinkie chose the color.”

Cream Puff looked a bit upset by H.B words. "But if ya didn't exist, then Ah couldn't give ya the muffins that flyers an' Ah baked up!" she said tearfully.

"Yeah! And if you didn't exist, then this world wouldn't exist! We wouldn't exist! This story taking place around you wouldn't exist!" Pinkie Pie proclaimed practically prancing in place before grabbing Heartbreak's face and squeezing her cheeks while starting into her eyes frantically!

Heartbreak jolted for a moment and then tried to swat the pink pair of hooves away, only to find herself almost toppling. "Pinkie, I'm not sure we've had this talk before, but my space is important to me. Let go. Wish, everything would still exist whether or not I was here."

"But what if it didn't?!" Pinkie pinktificated anxiously.

"Then that would be solipsism, and the last thing I need is to be a solip-sue, ‘cause A: it would literally be the worst thing in the world, and B: the most terrifying thing ever, and C: and this is important, something I don't want to talk about anymore because it's pointless." Heartbreak replied, pushing up her glasses pointedly.

"But-" Pinkie protested.

"Pinkie..." Fluttershy put a gentle hoof on her friend's shoulder. "Maybe now isn't the best time..." she said with clear exhaustion in her voice.

"Alright..." Pinkie finally conceded.

Heartbreak sighed in relief before noticing Cream Puff’s bright eyes and wide grin looking up at her expectantly. "Uhm... yes, Cream Puff?"

Cream Puff looked a little disappointed before rebounding and rocking back and forth on her hoof tips. "Ain't ya gonna ask about the muffins Fluttershy an' I made?"

"Aaaaat Sugar Cube Corner!" Pinkie added.

"Yeah!" Cream Puff nearly fell over because of how high she was on her hoof tips! "Whoa! It was so great, H.B.! There were so many bakin' things, an' cookin' things, an', an'! Just wowie!"

Heartbreak couldn’t help but grin at her unrestrained joy. “Sounds like you all had a really good time.”

Cream Puff snuggled up to Heartbreak’s unbroken leg and looked up at her with an eager knowing grin. “Buttered cinnamon biscuits, did I ever have the time of mah life! An’ it was really kind of Pinkie Pie ta get Missus Cake ta let me use their kitchen!”

“Yeah... it was, I suppose,” Heartbreak replied, as gently as she could muster.

An’ it was really kind of Fluttershy ta help me in the kitchen makin’ the muffins!” Cream Puff then leaned up against the eepable fluttering pony who, as one might expect, proceeded to eep and flutter as the attention was drawn to her.

Heartbreak blinked and forced a smile. “Yeah... I suppose it was...” she said, sorta repeating herself.

An it was reeeally kind of Pinkie Pie ta come an’ check in on ya at the hospital! An’ kind of her ta’ bring yer saddlebags! An’ awfully kind of her ta drop yer bike off at the shop! An-”

Cream Puff found herself being cut off by Heartbreak’s hoof quickly but gently covering the young filly’s mouth.

Yeah...” She turned her head and looked directly at the ponies who were supposed to be her teachers. “I suppose it was really kind of them to do all that so much that I can’t wait to have a talk with them about how kind it was...” Heartbreak said through almost gritted teeth before she pointedly pushed up her glasses...

=========

Rat watched as both the pink and yellow ponies gave each other uneasy glances as the Heartbreak... the H.B. pony glared them down over something...

“Rat is not sure where the sudden hostility came from, but maybe...” He shook his head, his little ears wiggling about. “No! Focus! Angel Bunny will be arriving with his blade! Rat must be vigilant!”

With keen bright rodenty eyes he surveyed the room from above. Rabbits may not have had the maze running ability that ratking had, but the magic in their legs and to some extent ears meant he could arrive at any moment!

“Yer not mad at them are ya?” the little filly asked, in distress in her voice.

“Why would I have a reason to be mad at them?” The H.B. pony asked, her eyes narrowing at the two.

“Cause they... uhm... they sorta told me that...” She looked around, the odd nurse pony seemed distracted by a book... “They gone n’ told me that yer needing’ ta write a letter ta the Princess..” she said in a hushed voice.

“Oooh... did they...” H.B. pony replied, a disapproval gleam behind her glasses.

“They didn’t mean anythin’ bad by it!” The cream filly protested.

H.B. pony took a deep breath and let it out her nostrils. “Maybe not... “ she said, the prickly posture of her body language relaxing a little. “We’re just going to have a little chat later... Right now... I just want to get home, recover, and do some writing...” she looked at Fluttershy. “Involving, you know what...”

Fluttershy’s face brightened up. “Really?” she asked, her eyes virtually glimmering with joy at the prospect.

H.B. pony sighed. “Yes, really. I think there's enough here to cobble something together for a good letter.

Both the Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy jumped in place and pranced about before the nurse pony hushed at them to settle down!

Fluttershy pony giggled. “Sorry... I’m just really excited to help H.B. write this letter.”

“With the way you’re acting, I would think that you’ve been waiting over a decade!” the nurse snarkily said, putting a hoof under her chin and grinning a snaggle toothed grin.

H.B. pony sighed. “Can we please just get me back home so I can start my seemingly endless recovery?”

“Oh, right, of course... I’m sorry, H.B.” Fluttershy pony said, starting to head to the door in preparation to open it.

“Oo! Oo! Oo! If you want to, you can ride on my back, H.B.!” the Pinkie Pie pony exclaimed, jumping up before crouching down to the ground.

“Don’tcha think that’s a little strange, Pinkie?” the H.B. pony asked, her face turning askew.

“What? Not at all! What’s wrong with a pony riding another p-” The H.B. pony’s free hoof shot up to the Pinkie Pie pony’s mouth, cutting off the question before it had a chance to enter small ears.

“Nothing, Pinkie. Nothing. Forget I asked or said anything.” the H.B. pony said with a bright blush on her cheeks and a mortified look on the rest of her face.

“Okie-dokie-lokie!” The Pinkie Pie pony said, grabbing one of her ears and pulling down. Rat swore he heard the terrifying wet flush of the monster kept in some homes known as... the toilet... “

“Great...” The H.B. pony muttered, starting to hobble more to the door.

“Wait!” the cream filly exclaimed, opening the box on her back and pulling out a simply scrum-diddly-umptious looking muffin. “Don’tcha still want a muffin before we go?” She offered it to her favorite mare. “Fer the road!”

The H.B. pony looked thoughtful, then her stomach growled at her. “It has been a while since breakfast at the Strawberry Sweets Shake Shack... I mean, we are going to walk back.” Her stomach expressed its yearning once more, this time even louder. “Ah, fet it. What's the harm? I could have a few bites now and a few bites later.” she opened her maw to take a bite.

Rat shook his head and continued his frantic find the hare game. By the mad rat god! Where was that white fluffball?!

The H.B. pony stopped. “There’s no sunflower seeds in this, right?”

“Nope! We made sure of that!” the cream filly jubilantly assured.

“That’s right.” the Fluttershy pony said, once the H.B. pony had taken a bite and started chewing. “After all, I remembered that you have a sunflower seed allergy.”

Rat stopped searching and his little body ran cold.

The H.B. pony chewed happily, taking the flavors before stopping midway after the third bite.

“Fluttershy...” she started, the look on her face growing grim. “Are you sure that there aren’t any...” she chewed again, this time her tongue emerging from her mouth. “Sunflower seeds?”

“I-I’m sure!” the Fluttershy pony stammered her confidence starting to waver. “W-why do you ask?”

The H.B. pony moved things around in her mouth, her lips pursuing and unpursing before she stuck out her tongue to reveal at least nine sunflower kernels.

“O-o-oh n-n-no!!!” The Fluttershy pony shrieked her wings splaying, feathers flying about!

“Ah swear we did put any in-Ah mean we didn’t put any in, H.B.!” a panicking cream filly exclaimed, tripping on her own words! “Them there sunflower seeds were high on a shelf! They had an’ ah know fer a fact we didn’t put any in!” she wailed, tears welling in her eyes!

“Spit it out! Spit it out! Spit it out!” The Pinkie Pie pony punctuation after procuring a waste basket from behind the nurse’s desk and placing it over the H.B.’s face!

“Pft! Pt! Pt! Please, every p-pony! Calm down! It’s only ah-ah-ah-wachuuu!” the H.B. pony sneezed. “A-ah-ah-mInor-ah-errg-gee-chuu!

The four ponies present watched in horror as the H.B. pony became a violently sneezing, gasping for air, a mess of shaking and thin blood streaked mucus that ran down her arm from her nose.

“Nurse! Nurse! Nurse Goodfilly! We need your help!” The Fluttershy pony whinnied terrified.

“I’m on it. I-”

Rat ran from the scene unfolding before him. He dove through the hole in the wall and dashed through the mazes. He couldn’t watch. Memories of the day that Ruby fell ill thrust themselves into his whiskers.

The sneezing. It started with the sneezing. Then the blood. Then the fever! He ran when the fever came, that’s when the parents threatened him!

Breathing heavily, scurrying frantically, the bright summer sun burned his little yellow eyes as he exited another rathole outside the hospital.

Suddenly and without warning, there was a blur of white and a thump on the ground.

Rat’s head turned to the direction of the sound, little arms raised, mouth agape, and there now stood a most terrifying sight.

Arms crossed over his fluffy chest, ears up straight and pointy, eyes black and sparkling, Angel Bunny loomed over Rat, his nose twitched before a twisted cruel rabbit-toothed wide grin swept over her face.

“Well done, Tip Rat...” Angel Bunny said, his grin growing even wider... The sound of a mare’s voice pleading for it to ‘please stop!’ between painful pony sneezes heard from the window above. “Angel Bunny could not have done this without your help...”

Rat could only raise his little paws to his mouth and squeak in horror over what Angel Bunny had pulled him into before bolting back down the rathole to flee it all...

Author's Note:

Ope, forgot about this. Whelp, five chapters in five days. Let's see if I can wrap this story up!
Thanks to scared ghost and thepsychopath!

Comments ( 33 )

11835563
And then HB gets herself a throos egg :> Good times!

Careful, get any more meta and Maine might show up. :trixieshiftright:

11836568
PINKIE PIE "TWILIGHT WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT THEIR META LEVELS!?"

I fear for the structural integrity of this story... that many broken walls has to be a record.

11836776
Are you peeking behind those walls?!

11836846
"Peeking" would imply I intended to see what I wasn't expressly supposed to see, which I would never... unless they're into that. "Behind" is relative, given the perspective of the individual involved, and relativity and I haven't been on speaking terms since Celestia discovered nuclear fusion. And, lastly but not leastly, the affore mentioned walls had filed for bankruptcy upon my arrival.

So, in summary... coconuts do not a horse make, nor can a swallow carry either.

11836941
Haaaaaa... delightful.

If Angel Bunny did the self-report psychopathy scale, I wonder how he would score. I bet it would be pretty high

11836979
And remember, this isn't completely his fault... it's the curse making him see HB that way...
The real question is... is that HB'S true form, or just an illusion? Or is the answer somewhere in between?

Whew just binged all 5 heartbreak fics in like a week, 'fet' has only started invading my internal vocabulary a tiny bit :pinkiecrazy:

Kinda wild seeing that this fic is just about finishing up after 10 years and I'm only just now finding it, anyways woo hyped for the ending :3

11837523
Heeeeheeee hee! FET YEAH! My Word spreads! It might be a little bit before it's fully finished but maybe it'll be done before November when this story turns ten! And Ooooooh boy, you've consumed all five fics? Then you need to be introduced to the tumblr! Have fun with... Munchy... crunchy... sweet and savory LORE.

11837629
YOOOOOO THE LOREEEE

11837655
And extra HB drawings and fan art. CLEAN FANART. If it ain't clean fan art of HB: I never approved or asked for it!

Whew, second half of my big catch-up comment!

Pinkie being at fourth wall breaking levels unseen up to this point is a bit jarring, though I love the "didn't sound like it was spelled right" gag was great. Shocked that her interacting with Goth Bunny extends beyond a one-off mention; I wonder if it'll be a focus in her book? Love her unsubtly trying to rush H.B.'s Kindness lesson. Would never have expected a Dr. Nick pony: I appreciate that even this many hospital visits in, there's still things to surprise me. (The joke of his Cutie Mark is great.) The chapter art goes so hard.

Very cute that you referenced Robin's namesake (and the Fluttershy tree meme! Simpler times), as is dropping so many baking puns into Mrs. Cake's speech. Nice to see another pony's perspective on H.B., including the pony-relevant trait of pre-emptively judging her based on her atrocious name. I should've expected Cream Puff backstory at some point, but we've spent so much time with her that it's neat to have it sprung this late. More chapter art that goes hard, impressively bold perspective!

Wooow at that Dash joke, and the implications of Flutters being the one to bring it up... The notion of the Cakes adopting Cream Puff instead of H.B. is a swerve I never would've expected... but seems like an infinitely better option unless she gets her stuff together soon. Very cute that Goodfilly's reading this very book, though I'm a bit surprised at how much her alter ego(?) is being made obvious when I'd expect it to be paid off in whatever the big dramatic last book ends up being. Wild cliffhanger: super excited to see that we're in the book's big climax!

Made an account specifically to make this comment. So, your shameless plug on a reddit comment caused me to look up My Little Heartbreak, and I read all of it within the past two weeks. I very much so love what you've written, and I'm a little sad that now I have to figure out something else to do in my free time. I was dreading getting to the end, but I'm happy to know you're still writing (Write faster! I'll give you tea that absolutely won't have any grass in it! At least, that you could taste [random note, why didn't HB's taste buds change?])

Here's just a few random thoughts:
Celestia being evil. Wow. I thought HB was overreacting. I'm happy there's a few references that seem to indicate that she might be experiencing some negative influence, similar to Luna before becoming Nightmare Moon. I assume the fae and the story Lyra told about previous human-pony interactions is related, and also ties into whatever's happening with Celestia.

Lessons: Twilight and AJ's stories made me really mad that them. Neither of them were showing enough empathy to HB, and were forcing things on her behind what was fair. But then we got to Rarity's story, and instead I was made at HB. Here's Rarity trying to do anything she can for HB, and she just kept shooting all of it down. If you're not going to open up about being a boy (on the inside/previously) then just suck it up and wear the dress! It won't kill you! Of course, the fact that I feel all this emotion is credit to your writing ability.

My favorite artwork is of HB right after she got her mane brushed by Fluttershy. She's so cute! I love every scene HB has with foals. I love all of her interactions with them! It's so cute! In a strange way, I'm jealous of BH's popularity with the foals. She needs to adopt Cream Puff. I don't care if it's a terrible idea, and HB is emotionally unstable, I need it to happen. The foals keep her on her best behavior, anyway (and Fluttershy. I love how she has the same ability to get HB to basically do anything just like the foals do).

You've done a great job at writing HB in particular. We can tell when she's making all of these super irrational choices, while understanding why she's doing it (namely, PTSD from the Fae and effects of the branding, it seems). A lot of parts seem unnecessary, just pointless conversation between ponies that bogs down the plot. Until I realized that was the point, and to just enjoy the meandering style. I've got to the point where now you've skipped a few of those 'unnecessary,' conversations, and I found myself missing them.

The scene after Scootaloo touched the branding was particularly well done. It was incredibly visceral and I could feel HB's panic. I love the spiders. Poor Lucas. The whole interaction with AJ calling HB, Ma was strange. I could understand a mix up once or twice, and that heat stroke I suppose had something to do with it, but her obsessive clinginess, despite knowing it was HB was weird. It felt like after that entire section of the story, there needed to be some sort of relief after that section between Fluttershy and HB. It was right around that time that the two of them stopped having real conversations with each other, and I want to see that tension relaxed beyond, "It's fine." I just felt Fluttershy needed to say something about that insistent to HB, even if all HB would do is respond the same. Fluttershy's my favorite, so this entire story has been a treat. But the awkwardness! I'm worried that HB is eventually going to explode at Fluttershy, even if she is the one she's actually angry at.

A lot of the early artwork is missing. Even from this particular story. I managed to track down some of them on deviantart because I was so insistent on finding a particular one (the one which turned out to be my favorite!).

I hope we can learn more about the fae, how they justified everything they did, and that they themselves get their just deserts. If I'm right about the fae and the human-pony legend that Lyra told are connected, it creates a question about how the show came to exist in our world. HB consistently refers to Equestria being created from a human perspective; she hasn't seemed to consider that it's the other way around. I look forward to HB actually opening up more about her life before becoming a pony. And getting that branding off. I want to see that branding suffer.

I'm not sure what's up with HB being so cold. A reaction to her body healing so fast from the fire ants? Or a lingering reaction from all her colds? And what on Celestia's good green Equestria is going on in that hospital? I completely lost track of who had whose book, and I thought you were implying a Changeling before... Whelp, we'll see what Doctor HB will get this time (I'm hoping for House; a perfect cynical match for her!).

Right, so now that's I've almost written an entire story just to comment (I had some catching up to do), I'll end just bey saying that I really, really enjoyed what you've written, and I very much look forward to what craziness you put HB through next.

11836776
It's just the same wall that keeps being knocked down. I'm pretty certain the poor construction ponies are just going to give up on it and leave it as window at this point.

11855538 Suddenly and without warning, A MEGA COMMENT!

11839001 Baaaaaaabbling, looks like you have a competitor!

Now back to yooooooou Lillyheart...

Paragraph one: I'm trying! And oh yeah... I did plug myself on Reddit! Totally forgot about that. Why didn't her taste buds change? Why would the Fae make things easy?

Paragraph two: Oh-oh-oh! New theories on what's going on with Celestia... and the connections back to the Human world. Heh... Ever be so close to something that you can almost taste it?

Paragraph three: Yeah... It's almost like there's something about HB that was... effecting them... doesn't it? As far as the dress thing? It's a frustrating thing, ain't it? And Awww! Thanks! This story has not only been a journey for HB... but for myself... And how must of *myself* I've put into this story... *coughs*

Paragraph four: That artwork was actually done by another artist who's also trans! He did it before he transitioned mind you, but it was the best piece I've paid for! HB does seem almost... supernaturally appealing to foals, don't she? It doesn't help that she herself feels more at ease at dealing with foals. They don't expect anything of her other than to be read and played with. Nothing more complicated or weird. But then Cream Puff comes along wanting a mom...

Paragraph five: Heeee! Glad you picked up on some of these things!

Paragraph six: Oh gawd, yeah. Every time I think of Scoots and what happened, it gets me too. I'm glad you like the spiders! AJ calling HB ma is indeed a combination of heatstroke, trauma, and just HB's aura... Like she's a drama magnet... Heh...

Paragraph seven?: Yeah that counts. Oh! You looked through my deviant art!

Paragraph eight: >.>....<.<.... >.>... *waggles up book nine in the air...* Hehe... Glad to see that you see the branding as an entity...

Paragraph nine: Can't say... yet... Maybe I haven't been good with the foreshadowing here but I'm writing up the chapters! Be prepared for a chapter dump in either this month or the next... As far as what's going on in the hospital. Blame Robyn Goodfilly.

Right, so now that's I've almost written an entire story just to comment (I had some catching up to do), I'll end just bey saying that I really, really enjoyed what you've written, and I very much look forward to what craziness you put HB through next.

Paragraph ten: x.x I've had to take a few breaks to read all this. Gosh, so many memories of books past. Writing is a process, first a physical writing to get out what I want, then the transcribing to digital, then run it by my two editors, and while doing this, drawing chapter art, finally a final run-through and then publishing! AND GOOD NEWS THIS BOOK IS ALMOST DONE! I can barely hold my excitement! Which I need to constantly do cause I worry about it effecting the end, the lesson and the final chapters. It's been nearly A FULL DECADE but this book soon will be done!

Then on to the next one...

11855541
Gotta cover it with a lampshade.

11855541
That would certainly be easier for the camera crew.

11855694

Oh! Oh! I know what's happening in the hospital now! Ha! No wonder Goodfilly seemed so familiar to HB. And to me. The pieces only started coming together after I reexamined the drawing I was talking about before. Poor HB. Almost genre savvy enough to see the twist. Almost.

You foreshadowed well. It's just hard with fanfiction sometimes to figure out if something doesn't seem right because it's the author's interpretation, or if that's part of the plot. And I flew through these stories so fast I didn't spend much time meditating on it. This epiphany just hit me like a brick as a I preparing for bed. I now realize the some of the more loony creativ-tea coming from the depths of your mind are specifically related to the plot.

It also occurred to me today how much motherhood has been a theme of this story. Mother substitutes everywhere! Actually, it's mostly just HB being a mother substitute, but still. Random note I didn't mention before: I really love the scene where HB is just walking away from Rainbowdash, and a single line from Fluttershy is enough to convince her to give it a try. It's so sweet!

Babbling Brook might just have a competitor for most wordy commenter (This was supposed to be a short reply!).

H.B may as well live in the hospital with how things are going for her currently.
I bet the Snapdragons and Spiders would miss the company.

I have a bad feeling this will permanently hurt the trust that Cream Puff and Flutters have slowly built around her and will take a long time to rebuild it, knowing how skittish H.B can be.
Maybe not the the same as it was before but hopefully it can be somewhat close.

How soon does she need to write the letter again? I fear she won't have the time or somehow Angel Bunny will intervene.
Although, I still think Nurse Goodfilly is hiding something - an ulterior motive or is she not who she seems to be? An 'agent' perhaps?
I don't trust her at all, and I think this is her upcoming opportunity with H.B's probable weakened state.

Also, 5 chapters wow!
Thanks for keeping at it all these years, but I hope don't stress yourself by pumping them out like this.

11857172
*gobbles up the comments as they are the glamor that feeds my soul!*

11856707
"H.B may as well live in the hospital with how things are going for her currently.
I bet the Snapdragons and Spiders would miss the company."

HB is really good protection...

"I have a bad feeling this will permanently hurt the trust that Cream Puff and Flutters have slowly built around her and will take a long time to rebuild it, knowing how skittish H.B can be.
Maybe not the the same as it was before but hopefully it can be somewhat close."

To quote the great Tumblr celebrity Neil Gaiman (aka Stardust Gailmane)

"Wait and see."

"How soon does she need to write the letter again? I fear she won't have the time or somehow Angel Bunny will intervene.
Although, I still think Nurse Goodfilly is hiding something - an ulterior motive or is she not who she seems to be? An 'agent' perhaps?
I don't trust her at all, and I think this is her upcoming opportunity with H.B's probable weakened state."

There's still a few weeks, but oh! Oh! Oh! Seeing the clock ticking always messes with one's mind!

"Also, 5 chapters wow!
Thanks for keeping at it all these years, but I hope don't stress yourself by pumping them out like this."

Nah, I'm good. I'm up to 100 pages physically written already! And I'm writing to the end!

11856707
"Oh! Oh! I know what's happening in the hospital now! Ha! No wonder Goodfilly seemed so familiar to HB. And to me. The pieces only started coming together after I reexamined the drawing I was talking about before. Poor HB. Almost genre savvy enough to see the twist. Almost.
"

Oh... Oh... Oh... Did the mask slip? You should maybe look at all the drawings... just to be sure..

"You foreshadowed well. It's just hard with fanfiction sometimes to figure out if something doesn't seem right because it's the author's interpretation, or if that's part of the plot. And I flew through these stories so fast I didn't spend much time meditating on it. This epiphany just hit me like a brick as a I preparing for bed. I now realize the some of the more loony creativ-tea coming from the depths of your mind are specifically related to the plot.
"

Heeeee ^.^

"It also occurred to me today how much motherhood has been a theme of this story. Mother substitutes everywhere! Actually, it's mostly just HB being a mother substitute, but still. Random note I didn't mention before: I really love the scene where HB is just walking away from Rainbowdash, and a single line from Fluttershy is enough to convince her to give it a try. It's so sweet!"

Awww. Fluttershy has her ways!

You, Babbling, Eris, and Nachos are just spoiling me with comments! Delicious Comments!

11857960
Oh, I also had a certain piece on my mind in which Goodfilly had.. a notably long tooth. So, like HB, the name Robyn Goodfilly sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it. And then, literally as I was getting ready for bed, Robin Goodfellow jumped into my mind. With those particular two pictures in mind, I immediately assumed this was Discord. But only a few minutes ago, I realized I was also missing an even more obvious connection: Puck is a fae. So... Puck was kicked out (by his own kind?) and turned into Discord? At this point I'm connecting dots as I type.

If comments are enough to motivate good writers to keep writing, comments it is!

Musings on the setting HB finds herself in…

FiM starts in 2010.

This story started (as far as I can tell) in May, 2012, shortly after season two ended.

However, HB alludes to knowing about events up to season five by mentioning the Crusader’s cutie marks (Oct. 2015)

The allusion to Discord’s reformation by Fluttershy in Added, Vanilla, Twilight, and Twilight lacking wings (confirmed in the Tumblr room), narrows down HB’s presence appearance in Equestria as either episode 11 or 12 of season three, assuming these episodes are in order.

However, since the book with Star Swirl's unfinished spells was stolen by a pony named Raven, I assume this is another alias of Discord. Both another bird, and evokes the trickster from Native American mythology— implies Discord, Puck, and Raven are all the same being, I think we can conclude Twilight won't be getting her wings anytime soon. HB’s appearance as already altered the course of Equestrian history.

It’s interesting that HB hasn’t (as far as I can recall) even thought of Starlight Glimmer or Sunset Shimmer. We know from the appearance of Zephyr Breeze, characters who didn’t show up in the first three seasons are still canon, but are still impacted by the differences in the timeline caused by HB’s presence.

Twilight already had her wings by the first Equestria Girls film, which means she probably never met Sunset. We can assume Sunset in in the Equestria Girls’ universe, and unreformed. The question is, did she manage to successfully steal Twilight’s tiara and swap it out with a fake like she tried? Or perhaps something about Twilight not transforming meant she never tried to steal it in the first place? I think the latter is more likely.

As for Starlight, she mostly is actively running her cult town, and has a greater likelihood of showing up to cause trouble.

A last note, there seems to be one timeline contradiction. If HB watched MLP up to season five in 2015, there remains a mystery as how she came up with the name Lucas. It mostly certainly came from Lucas the Spider, but he first came out in 2017… two years later.

A possible explanation is that HB stopped watching the series after season five, and was transported later. Another is that the earth HB came from is different from our own. HB seems convinced of this, since she refers to our world as “earth 2,’ in the tumblr room.

All in all, we can assume that HB entered Equestria during episodes 10-11 of season three. But when she left our world is a bit more of a mystery.

I really did not expect this to be so long. But I had been meaning to write this for a while.

11867713
Heheheh. I love how detailed and wonderful your theory here is... Believe me, I have it all thought out. All I can say is... You have picked up some of the bread crumbs I've been dropping, one of which I didn't even think any would pick up! You keep that very special star... Something else you might want to see ...
I defiantly have wondered about my own time-line from time to time.

11868018
I like gold stars! And I managed to decode the broken the link! I feel a bit like you dropped a whole other universe on me with that.

11868631
You mean the *other* versions of HB aren't in their own universes?

Oh my cogs this is amazing! Well horrible for HB but still excellent writing!!

11837629
WOO FINALLY FOUND THE TIME TO READ THRU THE ENTIRE TUMBLR
THE LOREEEEEEEEE
its cool seeing just how much stuff is being teased! kinda arg vibes i love it
i kinda skipped some of the alt universe stuff at first but then i realized theres a loooot more to this that i initially thought, i feel like i gotta reread everything (the fics and the blog) just to see how much i can pick out lol
anyways very very cool stuff!! keep doing whatever magic you're doing :3

11868018
OOOOOOOOOO
omg i will being reading thru this at a later date it is 5 in the morning

11875462
EEEEEEEEE!!!! ENJOY!

Login or register to comment