• Published 14th Nov 2014
  • 4,584 Views, 936 Comments

My Little Heartbreak: More With a Kind Word and a Hard Hoof - Jet_Black1980



When Heartbreak falls ill, Fluttershy takes it upon herself to not only make sure she gets better, but afterwards try to teach her a lesson about kindness! But things are easier said than done, especially with the animals giving H.B. an evil eye...

  • ...
24
 936
 4,584

Down the Fire Ant Hole

Chapter 23: Down the Fire Ant Hole

Everything in my body has seized up and I’m at a loss on how to react.

I’m feeling a lot of emotions right now, and maybe only one of them might be good and even I’m not sure if ‘hugged by little old grandma pony’ counts as good, let alone an emotion.

I do know that I want it to stop!

But how?! And why is this even happening? And why did she look at me like she knew me or something... Ugh! Why can’t I ask these questions and how do I stop her hugging me?!

“Oh lands alive, ah thought after what happened in the Everfree we lost ya!” Her eyes suddenly snap wide open and she pushes me away, starting to look around frantically, front hooves to her chest and hope sparkling in her expression. “Where is he?!”

“Uh-I-”

She walks around me looking every which way, the hope gleaming in her eyes starting to be replaced with a bit of anxious twitching before she uncomfortably chuckles.

“Now don’t go tellin’ me that ya’ve come back from Trotter’s field an’ didn’t bring him along with ya?! Come on! Where in tarnation is he?”

“Uhm, w-who?” Wait, did she say ‘Trotters’ or ‘Potters’? And why do I feel I know that as a term or expression...?

“Who...?” She asks incredulously, “The one ya fell head over hooves in love with! Ma boy, Bright Macintosh!” She turns back around. “Bright! Where are ya?! Come out already!”

Oh...oh... nooo...

Trotters field-Potters field... I remember now- Over the Garden Wall. And if she’s looking for her son... that means she thinks that I’m...Oooo-fffet...locks... The ‘dead mom mane’. Ffffet! No! I can’t let this go on!

“Bright Mac! Bright Mac!”

“Granny Smith?” Fet, how am I going to do this? Then I spot the glasses atop her head. I take a deep breath, really not wanting to do this..

“Come on! Stop playing tricks on this old dame! Get out here! Ah wanna-”

“Granny Smith!” Louder this time, if I remember right, she had hearing problems.

“What is it, Pear- I mean Cupcake?” She asks, getting up and close. Fet, that’s too close and her face is starting to crumple. “It’s about Bright, ain’t it? He couldn’t make it back cause he was protectin’ ya, wadn’t he?” She sniffs hard. “That’s ma boy, always putting’-”

“No! That’s not at all what it is!” Calm down, H.B.! It’s just an old lady who misses their son!

“No?” She gives me a stink eye and puts a hoof on my ..’chest’ pointedly. “What? Ya think ah can’t handle the truth? Hmm? Ah haven run this here farm with just them three youngin’s that ya left with me with an-”

“Granny. Smith!” I can’t stand this anymore. There’s nary a Fluttershy or Applejack in sight! “That’s not it at all!” I’m going for it. I don’t know if it’ll work but I... I just can’t allow this to keep going. Quickly, I tap the glasses that are resting on her head and they fall onto the bridge of her nose to hopefully end this tragic train wreck I am witnessing. “Just look at me!”

“What is...” And with that, I can see the look of excited joy twist into confusion.

“Wait..” There it is... I can see the exact moment when the spell is broken and her heartbr-... when it cracks. “Yer not Pear-” She shakes her head. “Ah mean, Buttercup...”

“I’m... afraid not...” I bite my life and pull back a short distance. Don’t want to be too close just in case she goes off on me. “My name is...” Ugh... “Heartbreak, but I like to be called ‘H.B.’.”

“Oh...” She replies, the disappointment from that one word alone paining her entire body. I swear, I wouldn’t think it possible, but she looks like she’s gained at least another thirty-six years with this single realization. Fffucking fet... should I say anything?

“Look,” Alright, let’s do this right. No need to set off any bombs in the Apple family. “I didn’t mean to confuse you or anything, it’s just-”

“Feh, I’m ok. Tain’t yer fault,” She waves a hoof at me before using it to wipe her nose. She sniffs hard. “Just these old dam eyes playin’ me fer a foal an makin’ me see things that t’ain’t there is all.”

“A-are you sure you’re okay?” Gah! What kind of question is that, H.B.?! Of course she’s not okay!!

“Ah’m fine,” Her crotchety old voice replies. “Ah just need a good long sit.” She sniffs again and smacks her lips before turning around. “...An’ maybe some special apple brown Betty...”

“Uhm... Well... Uhm...” Fuck of all the things that I didn’t plan for for today, why was ‘breaking Granny Smith’s heart’ even on it?

“Yeah. Said yer name was ‘Heartbreak’?” she asks in a bitter-sour croon.

“Y-yeah... b-but please call me ‘H.B.’.” I swear, I have that phrase on repeat today.

“Oh, hmm,” Great, that sounded more upset than it should have... “Ah’ll go let Applejack know that yer here. Reckon that she wants ta sell ya that there cider or somethin’...” she turns her head and starts walking in the direction of what I think is her stroller? I don’t know. All I know is that every step she takes is angrier sounding than the last.

“T-thank you...” I call out as apologetically as I can.

Ugh, she might say that what happened isn’t my fault, but I’m still feeling awful about it.

=========

Applejack was just about done munching on her dilly when there was an ever-so soft know that came rapping at the front door.

“Now, who in tarnation could that be” She asked aloud while crunching on that final end of her pickle. “Ah’m’a comin’!” She said after another series of knocks came.

Big Mac began to pull his head from under the sink to stop his sister, only to lightly conk his head.

“Ah’m fine,” She insisted as her brother gave her a concerned look while he rubbed his head. “Ah’ve had ma juice an’ ma pickle. There’s no reason ta raise a fuss!”

Upon opening the door she was greeted with the gentle if not worried smile of the pony she had expected to arrive at least forty-five minutes ago.

“Howdy there, Fluttershy!” Applejack greeted with a wide smile. “Ah’m sure as sunshine glad ta see ya made it. Was gettin’ mighty worried ya wouldn’t show.”

Fluttershy’s wings tucked and her ears drooped as she sheepishly looked away. “Sorry... Something came up...” She quietly apologized.

“Well, that’s alright,” Applejack replied, seeing the mare before her grow diminutive. “The important thing is that yer here now.” She peered around behind the pony before her. “Ya did bring H.B. with ya, right?”

“Oh, yes,” Fluttershy replied, perking up and nodding. “She stayed by a wagon in case you came back outside.” She eyed Big Mac whose rump protruded out from the sink. “Uhm, should we go into another room to-”

“Huh?” Applejack looked at her brother before smiling and waving a hoof. “Nah, once he gets himself busy like that, he usually don’t hear a thing.”

Just then, there was an indigent snort that came from under the sink.

“Usually..” She muttered under her breath.

“Oh... Alright... So... H.B.’s lesson... “Fluttershy began timidly. “W-what did you have in mind?”

“Huuhm, well,” Applejack began, scratching the side of her head with her forehoof. “Ah was thinkin’ that Ah’d offer a cold drink when ya two arrived an’ then show her what crops we had.” She tilted her head uncomfortably. “An’ maybe after some zap apple jam.. Cupcakes... but she didn’t arrive... time... fer it... Just... act real nice like an’ hope she picks somethin’ up from it?” she said trailing off and shrugging.

“Oh...” Fluttershy replied, trying her hardest to cover up any disappointment she was feeling.

However, Fluttershy being Fluttershy, this was nigh impossible.

“Ah’m sorry there, Flutters,” Applejack said shaking her head. “Last night Ah was all sorts of frazzled, what with Applebloom an’ the fruit bats, an’ when ah was tellin’ ya'll that it sounded like a good idea at the time...”

“It’s alright...” Fluttershy said after a small pause. “You were listening and being a good friend.”

“Yeah, Ah guess.” Applejack sighed. “It’s just... well,” Once more she sighed.”Taday being... well... taday...”

“We don’t have to do it today,” Fluttershy said sympathetically. “We could do it tomorrow or when you’re feeling better... or whenever is best for you...”

“No!” Applejack said, stomping her hoof down before sniffing really hard to pull herself together. “Ah mean... Ah’m fine.”

“A-are you sure?” Fluttershy asked after recovering from the sudden jolt of sound.

“Ah promised that Ah’d help ya with this an’ Ah intend ta keep that there promise,” Applejack said after taking a sharp breath through her nostrils. “Besides, it’ll get ma mind off things.” She said, turning towards the door.

However, because she hadn’t been looking in the direction she was going, Applejack found herself colliding with a very solid red furry obstacle.

“Big Mac!” She exclaimed, spitting as his fur grazed her lips. “What’cha think yer doin’ blockin’ mah way out? Is this still about me not gettin’ enough fluids earlier?!” she asked as she attempted to get by her brother.

“Eeyup,” he replied, lifting a hoof and putting it to the pole of her head.

“Ah, come on now! Ah had some juice, a pickle, an’ even some rest!” She protested pulling away while waving a hoof at him irritatedly. “Crisp Ruritan Apple Pie! What more ya want?”

And just as her brother was about to open his mouth to reply, that’s when the trio of ponies heard the loud cries of Granny Smith calling out from outside.

“What in the sam hill...” Applejack asked, pushing past her brother. From this distance she could make out the tan broken hearted pony looking rather uncomfortable, while her granny frantically was searching about. Then, a familiar name floating on the wind brushed by her ears.

“Is something wrong?” Fluttershy asked, trying to peer past the all too imposing Big Mac.

Applejack looked back at her brother questioningly. “Is it ma ears or is she callin’ out fer..”

Heartbreak’s voice then irritatedly rang out at the old green mare, who after a moment of looking at the tan pony, appeared as if she was going to faint!

“Granny!” Applejack gasped, rushing out the door.

“Now hold on one second!” Big Mac called out causing his sister to come to a momentary halt. “Ah don’t know if yer ok-”

Applejack turned and snorted at her brother. “Are ya gonna be pullin’ this on me when she could be out there havin’ a spell of her own?” she asked, nearly staring him down.

“Uhm,” He looked away and gulped hard. “N-nope..”

“Then come on already!” Applejack exclaimed, rushing down the dirt road. “Granny Smith! Granny Smith!” She called out, expecting to find her on the ground, only to see that she was nearly back at her walker. “Granny are ya-”

“Ah’m fine! Ah’m fine!” She sniped, waving off her granddaughter before getting back into her walker.

“Ah’m sorry, Granny, it just looked like ya’s was gonna faint an-”

“Well, ya can see that Ah’m fine!” she grumbled cantankerously.

“Well-what happened then?” Applejack asked, confused by the sudden shift in mood.

“What happened? What happened?” Granny Smith repeated almost glaring back behind her, only to have her angry grimace dissolve into a bitter forlorn sigh. “Nothin’ ‘cept for these old dam eyes playin’ tricks on me...”

“What’cha mean by-”

“It’s fine, it’s fine” She said. “Ah just need ta go have a sit, maybe make some ‘special apple brown Betty’...”

As Fluttershy and Big Mac caught up, Applejack, who now wore a concerned expression, turned to Heartbreak.

“What the hay did ya do ta ma Granny Smith?!” She asked accusingly.

“N-nothing!” Heartbreak stammered, jumping as sudden hostility was being shot her way.

“Nothin’!? Nothin’!?” Applejack exasperatedly asked before rubbing the side of her head. “Ya know what makes ‘special apple brown Betty’ so ‘special’?”

“I-it’s made with love?” Heartbreak sheepishly answered.

“It’s-it’s made with- No! It’s made with hooch!” Applejack exclaimed.

“One...” Heartbreak began, attempting to assert herself. “How the fet would I know that? And two...” Her eyebrow raised in disbelief. “You know what ‘hooch’ is?”

“Course Ah know what hooch is! What cha think the ‘Jack’ in ‘Applejack’ means!?” She shouted at the sky while throwing her forehoof up.

“Jack-oline?” Heartbreak eeked out, backing away while rubbing on her front leg shrugging.

“Jack-Jackoline?!” Applejack growled. “Is this some kinda joke ta ya?!”

“A.J....” Fluttershy began, finally pushed into intervening. “I’m sure she didn’t mean it like that... Please calm down?” she asked beggingly.

Applejack took a deep breath. “Fine, but what happened? Why was Granny Smith so upset?"

The apple pony found herself met with a sudden awkward silence before Heartbreak continued to rub her leg and give an uneasy groan.

“Well!? What did ya do?!”

Heartbreak, once again pulled back. “I didn’t do anything...” She insisted, her hoof starting to reach up towards her ear.

“Don’t give me that! Ah saw ya sayin’ somethin’ ta her that made it look like she was about ready ta have a faintin’ spell! So what did ya say?!”

“I-I... well...”

"Out with it already!”

“Fetting fet, A.J.! Stop pushing me!” Heartbreak finally snapped. “I’m trying to gather my thoughts here cause Ah’m not sure how ta put it!”

Applejack was about to, once again express her frustration with the pony in front of her, when Fluttershy gave her a look.

“Alright... Alright... Sorry, sorry...” She said standing down. Even she knew better than to challenge Fluttershy when she even hinted at a Flutterstare...

Fluttershy walked over to Heartbreak and looked up at her like a dog would look at their owner to make sure that they were feeling alright.

“Do you want to tell me what happened?” She asked in her kindest most understanding of voices.

“Uuuugh...” Heartbreak grimaced, her hoof now rubbing on her ear....

“It’s alright,” Fluttershy said, trying to sooth the clearly troubled soul. “I believe you when you say that you didn’t do anything...”

Heartbreak took a deep breath through her nose. “Thank you, Fluttershy... Cause really. I didn’t do anything....”

“Then why-” Applejack started, only to have a stern Flutterhoof go up cutting her off.

“What happened?” Fluttershy ask, not skipping a beat.

“What happened was that Granny Smith mistook me for somep-pony else,” Heartbreak said, her right hoof nervously twitching on the ground.

Once again, Applejack looked like she was going to interrupt, only to yet again be taken out by a sideways Flutterglance.

“Who did she mistake you for?”

Heartbreak out her nose and turned away in an attempt to muffle her voice. “You remember the trope with the mane and mothers?” she asked, making as subtle as possible pointing motions at Applejack.

Fluttershy’s head tilted in confusion before jerking upright while her eyes widened in revelation. “Ooh,” She turned and looked back at her friends. “Oh Nonono!” she gasped.

“What?!” Applejack interjected, finally deciding she couldn't keep her mouth shut any longer.”Who was it and why ya being so gosh dern cagy about it!?” She shouted.

Heartbreak took a sharp breath, once again, through her nostrils, her eyes showing flickering of the light warping within them. “You really want to know there, Applejack?” She hissed through clenched teeth.

Fluttershy almost instantly backed up to put herself between the Apple siblings and the broken pony. “H.B., You can’t...”

“Ssshe’sss going to find out sssooner or later, Flutterssshy. Essspecially if ssshe keepsss yelling at-”

“Just out with it already! Consarnit!” Applejack angrily demanded.

Heartbreak snorted and narrowed her eyes at Applejack, still contemplating whether or not she should share. “Doesss the name Buttercup hold any meaning to you?”

Applejack flinched at the name spoken. “What the hay does ma-” she stopped, her brain sputtering as it finally had all the pieces to put together. “Ma...” She looked up at her brother, who, due to his wide-eyed, ear-pinned, stiff-shocked expression seemed to have figured out where all this was heading for a while now.

“E-eee-y-yup...” Big Mac confirmed.

Applejack stepped forward, her eyes narrowing to inspect the mare before her. Then, they went wide as a faint fragmented memory of a loving figure overlaid itself upon Heartbreak.

“M-ma?” the scared little filly asked.

Just then, as Heartbreak was going to say something, the ground literally crumbled under Big Mac and Fluttershy.

“What the hay?!” Applejack exclaimed, peering down the hole to see her brother and the pink maned pegasus awkwardly barrel to barrel. “Are ya two alright down there?” She asked, reaching for her trusty lasso.

“Ee-Y-Yup!” Big Mac replied, attempting to move, only to find that his head was resting on Fluttershy’s mane.

“That’s good ta hear,” she said, trying to figure out the best way to pull the two of them out.

Heartbreak bit her lip and tapped her hoof. “A.J.” She finally said. “Look, I’m really so-”

Suddenly, the ground Heartbreak was standing on shifted and fell away below her and she let out a terrified scream!

In an instance, Applejack dropped what she was doing and sped to the newly created hole, but all she could hear was that frightened cry growing more and more distant.

“No... No.. No! Not again!” Applejack cried out.

=========

This has to be one of the worst days of my life.

Not only has my mane and tail somehow come to life and caused undue property damage, there was that awkward scene with Pepper and whatever Rosnc-

‘Actually, it's not all that bad, all things considered’

Then I get a clod of dirt smacking me in the face and I’m reminded that ‘Oh yeah, I’m falling down a literal hole. A hole in the ground no less.’

Though, before I have the time to even process the hows and why’s this is even possible, I’m ported out into the light of day somewhere that I’m sure is far away from A.J. and company in a tumbling roll before flat on my face.

“Bleh! Ptoo! Ptoo,” Ugh. Dirt in the mouth! Gah! Spit it out! Double ugh! It’s in my man-hair! ... and tail...

Shaking it out, I look around to see where exactly I am.

“Oh good, glasses stayed on my face...” There are concrete walls at least five or maybe six feet tall on either side of me. Ground seems to be concrete too? Lucky I didn’t break anything. I tense up walking forward. There’s a twisting pain in my foreleg. Maybe a small sprain? Adjusting my specs, I peer up.

The hole I came out of seems to be a small on a small hill of sorts. I swear I hear some chittering or wuffing noise coming out of it. Should I be concerned?

“I must still be on the apple farm though, seeing that there are still some trees bearing the farm’s name sake above what has to be... an irrigation ditch?” I say out loud. You know what would be a better idea than just assessing your surroundings, H.B.?

Calling out for help.

Part of me doesn’t want to, but that part is stupid cause being lost in a ditch is not preferable to being mistaken for somepony- anyone’s dead mom.

“Applejack?! Big Mac?! Fluttershy!?” I call out after a deep breath. Wait, didn’t Big Mac and Fluttershy also fall down holes?

“APPLE-JACK!!!” I bellow out. “Right, she’s got to have heard that.” I mutter, rubbing my throat. The leaves rustle dryly as I attempt to listen for a response back. “APPLE-”

Wait, why do the leaves on that one tree up there look so... dry? Sniffing the air, I notice an arid tang of a campfire smell, and is it me, or did it just get like four or five degrees hotter?

That’s when I spy from the corner of my little eye, the end of this irrigation ditch, and it appears that the whole end wall has a massive hole in it.

“What the hay?” I ask, doing the smart thing and of course, approaching it cautiously.

That’s when I notice that the hole doesn’t look... natural. It looks carved out. Not like it was carved out, but more like it was...

“Melted out?” My voice echoes down this opening and I’m getting a very apprehensive feeling in my gut. I can’t recall if there was anything like this on the show....

Then, I hear a most unsettling sound.

It’s like... a mixture of something scraping on metal and the sound that horror sci-fi movie makers use as the effect for... creatures... insectoid creatures... Generally large ones.

Back away, H.B... Back away and do it slowly. Very, very, very slowly.

Suddenly, there’s a crumbling from behind me, the hole that I was ejected from? I dare not look as the carved cavernous tunnel before me holds a lot more of a threat than falling dirt.

Well... falling dirt is a threat. There’s rocks and it could get in my eyes and-

The dirt I was fearing of falling does just that out of the corner of my eye. A large clod hitting the ground with such force I can feel it vibrate through the bottoms of my hooves.

The alien and yet oddly familiar monster critter sound coming from this unknown black void before me seems to have noticed that clod falling too...

Ope. That black void? It’s not so black any more, as the glow of a pair of red eyes blink on from the darkness.

Freeze. Everyone always talks about there being a ‘flight or fight’ response but they always- Not. The. Time. H.B.

Just... Be. Quiet. And. Hope. It. Doesn’t. See. You. Move. Very. And. This. Is. Important. That. Back. Leg. Of. Yours. Slowly. Down. Need. To. Stay. Bala-

CRA-A-A-A-ACRU-U-UNCH!!

“Fet!” I whisper. What did I just step on?! Look back really quick. Sticks? Just sticks, which are better than bones I suppose but wait... Why are those sticks all charred up?

There’s a sudden spike of head and a flash of light that jolts my attention back to the hole that had the glowing red eyes...

Aaaand, Yup, just like I feared, there are even more pairs of red clowning eyes and bursts of fire- wait..?

And bursts of fire?!

The coughs of flame that are now happening are illuminating the shiny insectoid faces of what look like rather large ants...

Run I hear a voice in the back of my- Run - it repeats, as if it does not realize that my legs feel froz- RUN!

SCREEEEE!!!” Rings out the herculean sized at that looks to be hammered out of raw iron ore.

“Ffffffet! Fffet!! FET!” I scream out as my useless legs finally realize that they indeed have a purpose, and that purpose of course, is to- Ssshut up! Run! - Yes, that. Run.

Run away from the terrifying, clattering and clanging of uhm- chihuahua or maybe cat or dog sized- Run -Ants, oope, it was a mistake looking back cause I think nine or ten of them just swarmed out of that hole and a few of them were bletching a foul smelling fire.

Yesss, fire. Keep. Running.

“APPLE-” Keep Running! “-JAAAAACK!!”

Fetting, fet, fet, FET!

This is why I don’t leave the house-

Turn right...

-and go exploring on my own like I would in- wait, where did grandma live-

Lessss Reminisssing More Running!

“APPLEJACK!!!” Spirit Lake! In Idaho! Gawd, damn it! I couldn't have fallen that far! Where could she-

Turn Left! They are ssstil hot on your tail!

Then I see what I’ve feared the most in all this. A dead end.

Maybe you’ve out ran them, H.B.! You were running pretty fast- a trot even! And with a saddlebag on no less! I mean-

And then there’s the sound of open flame roaring into the air that turns all my hopes, not to mention confidence in my athleticism into ash.

Quickly, I turn around and see four and five is nine- yes, nine metallic ants with slight dragonic features pinning me against this cracked, agin, cement irrigation trench wall!

“APPLEJAAAACK!!” One last time won’t hurt, right? Then I hear hissing coming from the ants, like a gas stove is being ready to be lit. Peeking, front hooves held high, I see the mouth parts are frothing with an orange glow and their mandibles are bright with a reddish colour.

‘Don’t worry Heart-Break... I’m not going to feel a thing...’

NOT NOW BRAIN. NOW IS THE WORST TIME FOR FLASHBACKS INVOLVING KYLIE.

Suddenly, I realize that I’m hearing a scream. Could it be Fluttershy? Sounds high enough to be her.

Wait. No. It’s me. I’m pretty sure it’s me ‘cause of the pain in my throat and, well, my ears.

“AAAAAAPPLE-JAAACK!!!” I force the high pitched girl scream to say. Then I hear the sound of trotting and hooves skidding down a dirt path.

“AH’M COMIN’ AH’M COMIN’!!!” She shouts from somewhere above me.

There’s a splash of water that hits at least half the ants, causing their flames to sputter and the red light in their eyes to blacken- which, while kinda sad, is good.

The half that didn’t get splashed? Well their eyes seem to have burst into fiery fury filled orbs, and their mouths are fuming with blue flames. Now, while pretty, that’s also bad.

“Applejack! They still have fire! We need more water!”

“There ain’t no more water!” Crap, but just then I see the twirling line of a lasso in the air. That’s good! “But don’t worry none there, Ma, A.J.’s got ya!”

“Uhm...” But before I have time to even think about this, the fire ants are shooting flames, there’s the sensation of rope tightening around my midsection and me being flung into the air, coming out of what has to be a magnificent fireball and into the waiting arms of Applejack.

“Ah Gotcha ma! Ah gotcha, Ma!" She sobs. Fet. I’m somewhere safe and that’s bad.

Author's Note:

TWO CHAPTERS IN ONE DAY! AREN'T WE BLESSED!?
But seriously, I had fun with this chapter. Bit more action based than what I'm used to. As always, thanks to my editors Zeprto678 and ThePsychopath (feel free, again to check out there stories) and the chapter art can be FOUND HERE! IT'S HERE FOUND HERE!!!!

Let's see how much I can write for the next chapter, shall we?!