• Published 14th Nov 2014
  • 4,584 Views, 936 Comments

My Little Heartbreak: More With a Kind Word and a Hard Hoof - Jet_Black1980



When Heartbreak falls ill, Fluttershy takes it upon herself to not only make sure she gets better, but afterwards try to teach her a lesson about kindness! But things are easier said than done, especially with the animals giving H.B. an evil eye...

  • ...
24
 936
 4,584

Sewing Advice

Chapter 16 : Sewing Advice

The sounds of a sewing machine performing several intermittent mechanizations was accompanied by thoughtful, sympathetic ‘hmms’ as Rarity mulled over the particulars of the story that Fluttershy had just told her.

“That sounds like it was quite the morning for you,” She finally said, several needles held between her lips.

“It was a bit...” Fluttershy paused, attempting to search for the proper word to describe it all.

“Hectic?” Rarity interjected, comparing two swaths of nearly identical cloth against each other. Another pony would surely say that they were the exact same shade of purple-ish red, but they didn’t have a discerning artist’s eyes for these sort of things. “Hmmm, yes. Wine is better.”

“Well...” Fluttershy began, taking a deep breath, “Yes...” she finally admitted.

“We all have days like those, darling,” Rarity assured, tilting her head back before tossing a wrinkling forelock out of her face. “How long has it been since you last saw your brother?”

“Oh, it’s been quite some time,” Fluttershy replied, her hooves pulling away as a ball of rainbow coloured yarn rolled past, a vicious Opalescence in hot pursuit. “Years even.”

“And he now has the audacity to ask for money,” Rarity humphed, pinning fabric in place.

“It was only for a few small things, really,” Fluttershy replied, continuing to watch Opal’s feline antics getting her entangled in a yarny mess. “He is trying to start his life and that’s never an easy thing to do.”

Rarity blinked at what seemed like a sudden tone shift in regards to the pony in question. “That is quite true. Forgive me, but it sounded as if you were most furious with him earlier.”

“I did?” Fluttershy glanced to her right, before sighing a little. “I suppose I did,” she admitted shamefully. “I’m sorry...”

Rarity gave her friend a sympathetic smile. “It’s more than understandable, how you’ve described his foalish antics.” She pulled a bolt of sunny yellow from the shelves. “And believe me darling, if there’s anything I know, it’s how foalish antics of a younger sibling can affect one’s mood.” she rolled her eyes. “Of course, such behaviors aren’t just limited to one’s own siblings.”

“Oh?” Fluttershy cautiously asked.

Rarity shook her head. “I’m sorry, darling. It’s just that I caught myself being reminded of my time with Heart-” She stopped herself. “I mean, H.B. went.” She placed the fabric over the odd creation that she was constructing. “I fear that I might be a touch...Oh, what’s the word?”

“Bitter?” She said after a long pause. “Yes, as much as I hate to say it. Bitter.” She shook her head and began to cut some trim to hem the dress. “I mean, with how everything unfolded, it made me really question things. Particularly in how good of a teacher of generosity I am.”

“B-but she did learn a lesson, didn’t she?”

“Oh, yes she did.” Rarity rolled her eyes once more. “However, it felt as if Sweetie Belle and her friends did more to teach her about what is meant to be my element than I did!” She huffed and lifted the dress in the air. She grimaced at the contrast of yellow,purple,and brown. “Oh whatever was I thinking...And if that wasn’t enough, she apparently learned a lesson from Derp- pardon me -Muffins of all ponies!” she bemoaned. “You’re most fortunate, Fluttershy. From the sounds of it, your element should be far easier to teach than mine.”

Fluttershy found herself taken aback at the statement. “What do you mean?”

“Well, how should I put this..” Rarity began. “The lesson is halfway there. Then again...” She paused and looked down. “Perhaps my time with H.B. last month made me practically question what I really know about my ‘Element of Harmony’.” With a sad contemplative face, the unicorn paused. “I mean, what really makes something ‘generous’? Is it the act of giving or the intent behind said act?” she asked disjointedly.

Fluttershy contemplatively bit her lip. “Uhm, I don’t know?” she finally replied.

Rarity gave a light chuckle, while sniffing a little, before waving her hoof dismissively. “Rhetorical question, Fluttershy.”

“Oh, I’m sorry...”

“It’s not your fault, darling,” Rarity replied, her magic aura plucking a tissue from a nearby box and blowing her nose, before lightly rubbing her eyes as if something had gotten into them.

“Do you have any?” Fluttershy sheepishly asked as the ball of yarn and cat yowled its way to a pair of white hooves.

“Any what?” Rarity asked, her mood clearly lifted at the tangle that her Opal had gotten herself into.

“Uhm, advice,” Fluttershy meekly began as she looked up at her dear friend with pleading eyes. “On maybe, how to make my lesson more complete?”

Rarity blinked, an apologetic look spreading across her face. “Oh, Fluttershy,” she sympathetically began as she levitated the mess of rainbows and white fluff to eye level so that she could assess the level of entanglement her pet had put herself in. “I’m so sorry! I didn’t realize that you were... uhm,” she poked at thread. “Struggling with this.”

Opal yowled uncomfortably as her owner tugged on the thread in an attempted to liberate her from the mess.

Fluttershy winced at the poor animal’s cry. “Oh no,” She said walking up to the floating yarn cloud. She gave a gentle pull to another thread, which only elicited a small ‘mew’ before the whole snarl came slipping off. “Well, maybe a little. I’ve never had to teach anything about kindness before.”

“If it helps any,” Rarity said righting Opal up in the air. “None of us have had to.” Just then, she paused as her pet gave her a look of indignation before placing a paw on her nose. “The ‘Elements of Harmony’ has always been more of Twilight’s department.” She said, scratching behind her pretty kitty’s ears. “We were just told that’s what we were and accepted those roles.”

There was a small silence between the two friends at the odd truth that had presented itself. A silence that was quickly broken by Opal squirming away from Rarity’s grasp and landing on the floor. And no sooner had she landed with a delicate thumping sound her attention once again was drawn back to her nemesis: The yarn of many hues!

"Advice in teaching..." Rarity sighed, before a small flash of inspiration took her. “Perhaps I do! Oh, how should I put this?” She tapped her chin. "Right, I may not be an expert in your element, darling, but maybe I could explain what kindness has meant to me, and maybe even something that could show her, in order to explain what you mean?” She chuckled and rolled her eyes. “After all, if you’re too vague, H.B. might count that as ‘emotional manipulation.’”

“Well, ok, that sounds like a good idea,” Fluttershy replied. She was curious about what exactly happened between the two, but deciding that it was better to leave well enough alone.

“In one word,” Rarity began, adjusting her glasses and taking a deep breath. “Patience.”

“Patience?”

“Well, yes,” Rarity replied, reclining back against her sewing table. “You are, after all, by far, the most patient out of the six of us, darling.”

Fluttershy’s wings fluttered and she pulled away slightly. “You have to be patient when you’re working with animals.”

“Well, it’s something that I’ve always admired about you.” Rarity said, levitating a teacup to her lips before taking a long luxurious sip of jasmine.

“Oh, T-thank you,” Fluttershy replied blushing.

“Which is why-” Rarity wirled her tea. “-If you want my advice on how to make your lesson more complete, might I suggest something a little, how shall I put this, unconventional?”

“O-ok?”

“Perhaps you could introduce her to some of the animals in your care?”

Almost instantly the moment that Rarity suggested it, she saw Fluttershy’s wings clap back and her ears fall to the sides of her head.

“I-I’m not sure that’s a good idea...” Fluttershy replied, her voice practically falling to a whimper. “I did tell you that they don’t like her very much, right?”

Rarity nodded and bit her lip. “Yes. However, if I recall correctly, you did say that there were some animals that tolerate her?”

“Yes, some of them do,” Fluttershy pensively replied. “But they know that she isn’t, uhm...” She paused, her brain scrambling for the right words.

“From Equestria?”

“Well-” Fluttershy looked away. “-yes.”

Rarity tapped a pencil to her chin thoughtfully. “Be that as it may,” She began, swiveling towards her friend. “And do remember, this is just my advice. Perhaps with your assistance, your help, maybe they could see her as less of a threat.”

“Y-you really think that could happen?” Fluttershy asked hopefully.

“Anything is possible,” Rarity replied smiling and pulling up a few drawings from. “And by chance, if one of your animal friends takes a fancy to her, they may even want to become her pet! Or at the very least, a companion.”

Fluttershy’s wings flickered in excitement at the prospect of what Rarity was suggesting. “Oh! That would be wonderful!” She exclaimed.

“And it would also take care of her other problem she has, “ Rarity commented inspecting the diagrams more closely.

“Other problem?”

Rarity blinked and put what she was working on down. “Why, Fluttershy,” she began. “Darling, she’s incredibly lonely!”

“You really think so?”

“With everything you've described? Yes..” She leaned down to give Opal a very affectionate head scratching. “That house of hers is so...big and empty...” a smile lit her face as the cat leaned into the attention. “Why, I don’t know what I would do without my precious Opal-wopal!” She cooed, levitating a small meow treat before sending through the air, with the feline giving chase.

“I wouldn’t say that she’s completely alone. After all, there’s Fighty and Bitey. And then there was Little Lucas. Oh Rarity, I’ve never seen her that excited before! Who knew she liked spiders so much?”

Rarity attempted to hide the mixture of horror and repulsion that were attempting to fight their way to her face. “W-well,” she stammered, the thought of spiders crawling on the tan mare causing her own coat to crawl. “Fluttershy,” she began, regaining her composure. “I don’t mean to insult any of those three, but I was just thinking of something a little more...warm blooded and less likely to terrify anypony that happens to be visiting...”

“Oh,” Fluttershy began a small pearl of irritation rolling through her voice. “I suppose you’re right, but--”

Just then, the musical chiming of the carousel’s front door being opened and a distinctive voice calling out interrupted what could have been ill-fated conversation.

“Hellooo! Are juu o-pen?”

Saved by the bell, Rarity thought, placing anything else she had down before making her way out to the front of the shop.

“Yes! Cooooming, darling!” She musically call while momentarily pausing to fix her mane. “Only be a moment!” Satisfied, she went to greet her latest customer.

“Oh! Hello Subtle Brew!” Rarity admiring the eastern-style, or better known as ‘Kirin’ unicorn’s current attire: a light, snowy white kimono with long sleeves, a sun umbrella that was decorated with tea leaves and being held up by multi-coloured tendrils of magic. “What brings you to my humble shop?”

Subtle Brew’s face crinkled in confusion. “I am here for my fi-ting appoint-ment? Don’t juu remember, Miss Rarity?”

“Oh!” Rarity gasped, a hoof going up to hide a nervous flush going awash over her face. “That was today?” she chewed lightly on her hoof and glanced at the clock. “Oh dear, I was talking with Fluttershy here and lost track of the time...” she whimpered apologetically.

“I’m so sorry, Rarity. If I knew you had an appointment with somepony, I wouldn’t have told you all those things dealing with-” Fluttershy caught herself. “Uhm, her.

“Ooooh, juu are hazing ze problems with a friend?” Subtle Brew asked, folding her umbrella before storing it away at the door. “Iz ok if juu lost time talking of such tings! As my Grandmare Sweet Cup would say, ‘Problems are leaves and de-bree in ze stream of life, iz best to get it out zo tings may flow freely’.”

Fluttershy found herself in quiet awe at something so simple and poetic. “That is very good advice.” She admitted.

“Yes, she say many wise tings and I miss her.” Subtle Brew replied, wistfully. “Zo! We can still do my fi-ting, today? I need to know how much fabrics to ask my cousin for before ze winters come. Iz true dat Poni-ville get much-” she paused, with the clear expression of confusion at the loss of a word. “Uhm, how juu say ‘winter white stuff?’

“Do you mean ‘snow’?” Rarity asked, a little bemused.

“Ah, yes. Before te snows come. Oterwise, many tings close.” She said, her ears folding back as she shook her head with concern.

“Oh yes, of course, darling. After all, I would do anything to not only contribute to your wedding, but for the opportunity to work with genuine Kirin silk!” She gushed before whispering aside to Fluttershy. “They say that with the right magic? It can flow with every colour of the rainbow!”

“Oh my, that sounds very pretty.”

“Ah yes,” Subtle brew said nodding her expression turning pensive. “I do not meaning to be rude, Miss Fluttershy, but...”

“Oh, yes?”

“I was,” She raised her sleeve to cover her mouth, a black cloven hoof just barely poking out of the end. “Ho-ping to do dis fi-ting with Miss Rarity...Alone?” she finally finished.

“Oh...” Fluttershy replied slightly dejected. “I-I’m sorry.”

Subtle Brew waved her sleeves apologetically. “Iz no-ting against juu, Miss Fluttershy! Iz just very...” She paused, a large flush of rosy blush spreading across her face. “How juu say ‘personal’.”

“Ooh!” Fluttershy replied, a sudden wave of understanding hitting her. “I’m so sorry...I-I’ll be going.” She sputtered, gathering her saddlebags and walking towards the door.

“Iz ok,” Subtle Brew replied, softly smiling.

“Fluttershy, darling?” Rarity called out as her friend was about to make her exit.

“Y-yes?”

“If you have any more questions about what we discussed, feel free to come back and ask, alright?” Rarity asked, giving a sincere ‘I’m sorry, but I have to take this’ look.

Fluttershy smiled and nodded. “Alright, I will.”

“Oh!” Rarity exclaimed, causing the pegasus to pop her head back in. “And you’ll think about my advice on the matter too, right?”

“Of course,” She told Rarity, before nodding to Subtle Brew. “You have a nice day and, uhm, enjoy your fitting?”

“Oh! Tank juuuu!” Subtle Brew chimed. With the door finally closed, the ebony maned mare quickly went to the window and peeked out before pulling the drapes closed.

“Is there anything I can do to make you more comfortable? Lock the door, perhaps?” Rarity asked, her curiosity perked over how nervously her client was acting for something as simple as a fitting.

“Oh no...” Subtle Brew replied, cautiously, peering behind her. “But...maybe yes?” she asked, a pleading smile going across her face.

“Anything to make this as enjoyable of an experience as I can, my dear.” Rarity replied, locking her front door with a flick of her horn. “Now, please step up here on the pedestal and disrobe so that we may begin.”

“Thank juu, miss Rarity,” Subtle Brew replied. “As rong as juu tell no-poni of what juu see...” she said stepping onto the softly lit pedestal.

“Of course I won’t,” Rarity promised comfortingly as she gathered up her cloth tape measure and other items that she would use. “Along with the proper accessories to match, customer privacy is of the utmost importance.”

Subtle Brew bowed her head and smiled once before pulling the ribbon that kept her kimono in place. “Once more, many tanks to juu, Miss Rarity.”

“Oh, Darling,” Rarity began, a light chuckle in her voice. “It is I should be thanking you!” She said as Subtle Brew let her kimoni fall to her side. “After all it’s not every day I get to work on something like-”

Rarity found herself stunned into a moment of silence at the sight of the unclothed kirin unicorn. It wasn’t the shaggy, yet delicate looking fetlocks, nor was it her shiny black cloven hooves that she kept tucking away in the folds of her many kimonos. It wasn’t even her lion-like tail, whose fur only covered that last four inches.

No, what was grabbing the fashionista's attention was the strange sparkling golden iridescence that was coming off Subtle Brew’s back. Upon closer inspection, Rarity almost swore that it was being caused by-

“S-scales?”

=============================================================

Here again, I’m on my own. And something tells me that I’m missing out on something far more interesting that is happening somewhere other than my home. Either that, or I’m about to have another round of coughing. Better clear my throat to be sure.

“Ehem. EHEM!” Oh wow, nope, currently we are not congested.

Maybe, just maybe, I could actually do something today. “Not that you were doing much before all this.” The clock suddenly chimes out the hour. Three o’clock.

“Market is only going to be open for another, what, three hours? You could do that later, H.B.” Just then, my stomach makes an odd gurgling noise, and the sensation of not-quite-hunger ebbs at the shores of my awareness. “Strike that, you have to do that today, H.B. Otherwise, it’s going to be shriveled carrots, celery, and whatever else is growing in the fridge.”

Rolling off the couch, I stretch and mentally check off the things I’ll need for this outing before, well, gathering them.

“Coin pouch? Check,” I say, plicking it off the lampstand near the couch and chucking it into my--”Saddle bags, check.” And finally my, “Hat, check.”

“Alright, H.B. do you want to try the hat flip trick today?” That was meant to sound like a pep talk, however, staring at the green military style hat that I had so casually dropped on the floor last Tuesday, it feels all too critical. Like I’m pressuring myself into trying to do something that I clearly know that I can’t do.

“Well, not without almost putting out an eye...” I mutter. So with that imagery in mind, I go the safe route and plant my head into the cap before picking it up in a swift motion. “A little adjustment and I’m ready to go!”

As I get to the front door, a small niggling voice nips at the back of my mind and I do a look around at the hallway.

Hoof on the door handle, I hesitate, looking up towards the attic door. Looking down, I bite my lip.

“Fet it,” I grumbled to myself. “Hey! If there are any spiii-ders that happen to be listening! I’m going out to...uhm...The market! I’ll be back later!”

There is, of course, no answer. Not that I expected one. I think that conversation with Lucas spoiled me or some-

“You’re rambling again, H.B. You keep rambling to yourself and you’ll be here all day before the market closes.” My stomach gurgles in agreement and I pull the door open with my mouth.

Pushing the screen door, I am greeted with a rush of hot and mildly humid air. A not so subtle reminder of the season.

“Ugh...” Boy, if I thought that this morning’s little light rays where irritating when I was getting up, the full-on glory of Equestria’s day star is screaming agony.

“Bleh.” I never liked humidity. Wonder how my house is remaining as comfortable as it is. Just then, the sounds of cold running water splattering the ground catches my attention. Turning to the source, I see that the snapdragons have the hose and appear to be watering their young.

“Oye!” I call out to the lot of them. “Don’t overwater yourselves. I don’t want to come back to a swamp in my yard!” They give me an odd ‘look’ or the best as I can tell is a look before flimsily wagging the hose at me!

“Gah! Hey! I’m just saying!” I squeak out, stepping up my pace down the pathway to the dirt road.

Walking down ‘The Old Miller’ Drive, I can’t help but wonder if I should stop by the Library and see if they have any books regarding my acquired housemates.

That and it might be nice to see Spike again...

“It’s been what, one, two, three, four, five...six? Has it been six days?” I stop and tap my chin. “Nearly a full week? Fet, where does the time go-”

Just then, something sparkly in the road catches my eye. Something red and sparkly...

Hoofing at this curiosity in my path, I find that it is not only red and sparkly, but also translucent!

“Oooooo,” My voice trills. “That looks like a Geeeem!

Right, little amusing ‘Diamond Dog’ impersonation aside. A bigger question comes to mind. “Can my hunger wait?” I prod a bit at the glittery rock. It doesn’t seem too deep and even wiggles a bit when I roll my hoof over it!

Tilting my head, I finally nod. “Yeah...Yeah...It can wait a little. Now seeing that my hooves are useless, how best to excavate my find...” To my left I spot exactly the tool I need. A simple stick.

Grabbing the dead and pretty sturdy piece of wood between my teeth, I set to work. “Right, thiss won’t take long at all!”


=============================================================

As Fluttershy walked down the path from Carousel Boutique, she mulled over the idea and, by extension, the advice that Rarity had just given her.

“Could it work?” She asked aloud to nopony in particular. “Could one of my animal friends possibly, just maybe...” she began, trailing off, almost afraid to finish the sentence, least it raise her hopes in the matter. “Want to be H.B.’s... pet?”

The thought of the oh-so-sad creature turned pony frolickling, playing with, and just over all doing generally wonderful pet-related things with a currently-as of yet-named animal friend set the pegasus’ heart aflutter with excitement.

“Not that she couldn’t do those things with Fighty, Bitey, or even Lucas,” Fluttershy’s ears then drooped as she recalled some facts about H.B.’s current roommates. Facts that, yes would only come to play when the seasons turned, but they were still saddening nevertheless. “Maybe Rarity was right. After all, H.B. would be even more lonely and sad when Winter comes...”

With these sobering thoughts in her mind, she found herself at a fork in the path that she was on. One way would return her back to her warm and cosy cottage, while the other, the hustle and bustle of the marketplace.

Fluttershy paused and tapped her forhoof against her chin thoughtfully while considering this seemingly mundane choice.

“I suppose that I could check on Angel, to make sure that he knows that I’m alright,” Just as she was about to go down the path to her left, her hoof hesitated. “Although,” she began, “I did promise him a treat. I wouldn’t want to make him think that I was lying to him, And besides, I can pick up more food for the others while I’m there.”

With those thoughts in mind, she turned and made her way down the path to the right.

Author's Note:

Alright, it's been a long time coming and some may feel like there wasn't much happening in this chapter, oooooor -that- there are too many surperuious details, or too much retredded ground. Or the usual...
But all the details are important, after all that's where discord's be hiding, right? In the details.
Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this story that I will be working on long after the inspiration for it is gone.
My editors this time around were Zepeto678 and oooooor very own ThePsychopath! Thanks for helping me back into the swing!