• Published 10th Oct 2014
  • 2,715 Views, 82 Comments

Highway 502 - Admiral Biscuit



A night of driving in the fog turns into an unbelievable adventure when Al accidentally crashes his Jeep in a foreign world.

  • ...
5
 82
 2,715

Chapter 3: Home Again

Highway 502
Chapter 3: Home Again

At the back of my mind, it was nagging at me that there would be trouble if anyone saw them—but out here, no one would. Still, I needed to be somewhere where rescue would be close at hand; if they left me here, I'd be no better off than I was before.

As the truck jerked back into gear, Poppy tapped my shoulder with her hoof. “So, you could, like, make a call from here without wires or a sub-etheric transmitter?”

“Let me show you.” I opened my contacts list, and began thumbing through. “I'll even let you talk, to prove this isn't some pre-recorded message . . . but you can't say anything about being a pony, okay?” Who would she want to talk to?

A sudden inspiration hit me, and I tapped a contact. “I'm going to let you talk to my buddy Danny. He works at the dealership that sold me my Cruze. He's a mechanic and likes old cars, so you can ask him mechanic-y stuff and that'll prove this isn't fake. Just let me talk to him for a moment.”

She nodded eagerly. I hit the call button, still working out what I was going to say.

“Al?”

“Hey, Danny, what's up?”

“Where were you last night? Monica texted me, said you weren't texting her back.”

“It's a long story, Danny. I'll tell you later. Hey, listen, you got a moment?”

“Yeah. I'm on lunch.”

“I've got a friend that wants to talk to you for a minute.”

“Uh . . . okay.”

I held the phone beside Poppy's head. “I'm not sure what your horn would do to it,” I said. “So let me hold it.”

“Danny?”

“Hello? Who is this?”

“it's Poppy. Poppy Mallow.”

“Where are you, Poppy?”

“I'm in the wrecker with Al. His Jeep broke. We're towing it back to his home.” She took a deep breath. “Do you—Al said you're a mechanic.”

“Yes.”

“I'm building a hot rod,” she said. “And I haven't got a whole lot of money to spend on it. I found a high-rise intake off an old tractor that I can make fit the engine so it will breathe better, and I'd have enough then to put a performance camshaft in it. Or do you think I should just buy the right aluminum intake for the engine, and change the cam later?”

“Well . . . I think—are you planning to use a turbo or a supercharger?”

“I wish.” Poppy sighed. “Maybe if I can win some races with the thing.”

“Go with the intake first. If the engine can't breathe properly, it won't perform, no matter how good a cam you've got.”

“Okay, thanks,” she said brightly. I put the phone back to my ear. “Danny?”

“Al? What was that all about?”

“I'll tell you later. I've got to go; my battery's dying.” I ended the call before he could ask any more questions.

“That was amazing,” Poppy said, looking over at me. “What about messages? Are they like telegrams?”

“Better.” I changed to my messaging app. “Let me show you.”

I'd gone through most of the functions of my phone before we got close enough to see Stanley. It was just as well; my battery really was dying now.

That wasn't the only thing low, either. The fuel gauge on the wrecker was hovering near empty.

“Orchid? What does this truck run on?”

“Gasoline.”

“That's what I hoped.” I pointed towards the nearing town. “Here's what we're going to do.”

٥٠٢

I was sweating bullets the whole time I was fueling the wrecker. Orchid and Poppy stayed in the cab, but I had the impression that they were watching everything around them intently. I didn't want to devote too many glances in their direction, lest I reveal that something hinky was going on, but if things were heading south, I wanted a chance to run before it was too late. I breathed a sigh of relief as the pump finally clicked off.

I didn't even get a receipt from the pump, just jumped back into the cab. Orchid fired the engine back up and roared away from the gas station in a cloud of blue smoke, following my directions until we came upon an empty parking lot that was well off of the main drag.

Poppy ran the controls from inside the cab, neatly setting my Jeep down. I unchained it, and motioned for Orchid to pull the wrecker forward. Once it was clear, Poppy lowered the boom while I tossed the chains into the locker on the bed, before returning to the cab.

“Are you sure you're going to be all right here?” Orchid asked.

“Mom, he's got his cell phone. He can, like, call anypony with it.”

“Be safe,” Orchid cautioned me.

“You, too.” I reached up and bumped hooves with her and Poppy. “And thanks for everything.”

“Maybe we'll meet again,” Poppy said. Her face lit up. “Ooh! I wonder if we can push small things through the thin spot? Sometimes that works, even when it's not big enough for a pony. I learned that from one of Princess Twilight's books.”

“I don't know,” I said. “But you can bet I'm willing to try.”

I watched as Orchid drove out of the parking lot and across the main road. My heart nearly stopped when I saw a police car rolling down the highway, but he passed them and went on his way, none the wiser.

I stayed there long enough to see the wrecker disappear down the two-track, before I turned back to my cell phone and punched in the number for triple-A.



To Be Continued....

Comments ( 45 )

What? What do you mean "to be continued"? I DEMAND MOAR NOW!

this was something (someting good):pinkiehappy:

An ancient ford wrecker drivin by a pony that is planning on building a racecar with the intake off an old tractor... Just how much about vehicular travel do you know? :ajsmug: Cause that is just brilliant my good friend.

5198842 Well technically the pony doing the driving isn't the one making the hot-rod. :rainbowwild:


5198472 Indeed, I don't know if I should put this story on my tracking, or if it's going to be a separate sequel. :duck:

5198974 pfft, technicalities...

5198472

I can't just leave it here--I like Poppy way to much for that--but I don't want to leave it as 'incomplete' forever, either. So, when I have an idea to continue the story, I'll write another, like I've been doing with my Sam and Rose stories.

5198974

Indeed, I don't know if I should put this story on my tracking, or if it's going to be a separate sequel

The sequel will be a separate story. I'm not sure how the story notifications are working right now, so I can't give good advice on the best way to track it, honestly.

5199025

so I can't give good advice on the best way to track it, honestly.

To check by your page every once in a while like I normally do as any good stalker should. :moustache:

He's going to slip them a satellite phone. Er, maybe not. Maybe a two way radio with a relay next to the portal?

You do know that arabic is written backwards, right? So what you actually wrote is '205.' Nice little page break for this though.

Otherwise, great little fic, really enjoyed it! :pinkiehappy:

5198577
I was thinking early 50s, but close enough. Parallel worlds, slightly different pace of technology, etc. etc.

I like the car. I doubt I'd ever have the patience to do a proper restoration of a vehicle, although if I do, i've got a 77 Olds and a 69 Chevy C-10 just waiting.

5199229
In all honestly, I'm not really sure. I'll think of something.
And it will be awesome.

5199358
I might do that--it's still up in the air. Most of this story came to me in a day, and I'd meant for it to be a one-shot, but I just fell in love with Poppy's character.

5199377

You do know that arabic is written backwards, right?

I do know that! I did, however, fail to apply that knowledge.

Nice little page break for this though.

I'm glad someone noticed--even if I got it wrong. I'll have to fix that before Rinnaul reviews this, on the off-chance that he also knows Arabic.

5199590 Honestly, it took the absolute extent of my knowledge of Arabic to decifer those 3 numbers lol.

5199641
While I'd like to claim that I'm such a genius I knew them already, the truth is Google was my friend. Also, I have now changed them to be in the correct order.

5198768
Correction made; thank you.

Also bad Discord, stop running root beer, no one ruins root beer!

Can you imagine how terrible chocolate rain would be the day after?

Yaay, he got home and the spots still there. Wonder how thin the spot will be when a hot rod hits it at full speed. or even Dash.

made you look! Oldest trick in the ebook.... :) . Seriously though, we could thread a nice 2 mm fiber optic cable and have permanent communication! Coordinated efforts could then be made for digital transportation! Maybe.... that's still farfetched...
Keep going! ;)

5199358 Except the email notification is broken now.

I wonder if that cop car might have contained Sergeant Piobar.

5199563 Thanks, but my dad did most of the work.

5199659 You know, I never got this reply, but yeah, milk, or really anything after a while would be a bad day, root beer or other sodas will make everything sticky and such as well. Fun eh?

So glad you've decided to continue this one. It's a really cool concept, I love the characters, and I can't wait to see where you go with it!

5721155
The other one next to it would probably fit in a little bit better. That having been said, their styling would probably not exactly parallel ours, and odds are good that as long as it was reasonably close to something they could imagine being built with the technology they have, they'd just assume it was a model they hadn't seen before. :pinkiehappy:

To Be Continued....
Ok, i'm here.

6174870
It may be a little while longer, I'm afraid. I still have other projects which need completion.

6179776 I've noticed that people in southern California say things like the 5 or the 10. Not sure if that applies to the whole southwest.

6179847
Maybe I could ask my brother. He used to live in Albuquerque.

Cool, even if not continued. Refreshingly different... and I like how they all just take it in stride. Like, dimensional displacement is real shit and shit happens. So what.
Have a like.

6680406

Cool, even if not continued. Refreshingly different... and I like how they all just take it in stride.

Given all the weird shit that ponies deal with on a regular basis, maybe that kind of thing is fairly normal.

While I haven't (yet) continued the story, I have recently written another one-shot with Poppy.
Solo

Did this ever get that followup? There's no sequel listed beside it but I don't really want to dig through 91 stories to double check.

6882335
No followup, but there is one more story in 'verse:
Solo
It takes place before this story.

I'll probably write more in this 'verse, but I don't know when. I really like Poppy.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Motherfucker, whatchu mean "To be continued" :|

So this made me think of that one time you, me, Bad Horse, ROBCakeran and... Zyrian and someone else were all at that pub and you guys talked about cars for two hours. :V

7087831 Man, I really wish I was there for that conversation.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

8198575
I dunno, it was kinda dull, at least if you're not into cars. :B

8198575

Man, I really wish I was there for that conversation.

It was interesting, I'll say that for it. Maybe this year you ought to come to Trotcon and we can all go to the bar and talk about cars again.

8198581

I dunno, it was kinda dull, at least if you're not into cars. :B

You could have just started throwing random words out there. "My car's got a worn out gronkulator, and I had to bypass it with a phase reducer."

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

8206654
"Man, I had this car once, it would floom when I krumped the turn extendrist. Like, what's with that?"

Fun little HiE adventure. Now that I have context, it's time to look at the prequel.

8701920

Fun little HiE adventure.

Thanks!

Now that I have context, it's time to look at the prequel.

:heart:

To Be Continued....

:pinkiehappy:

It's only been about 7 years. I'm sure it'll be coming any day now.

11084097

It's only been about 7 years. I'm sure it'll be coming any day now.

Hey, the followup to A Sleeping Rose I promised finally materialized, so there’s still hope! :heart:

I also did write another story with Poppy:

EDrive
A new set of tires is the perfect excuse for Poppy to take her car out into the San Palomino Desert and put it through its paces.
Admiral Biscuit · 3.5k words  ·  124  4 · 2.2k views

Now I see even more what you mean about Poppy being a *hilariously* angsty teen hahaha.

Login or register to comment