• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,978 Views, 10,581 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,581
 28,978

PreviousChapters Next
Time: Split Perspective

As Clank raced on, followed by Sigmund, he found himself confronting Dr. Nefarious himself. "Well, Clank," Nefarious began. "You've led me a merry chase...say, where did you get an energy blade?"

"Twilight," Clank replied, stalking forward.

"Well, she is impressive, isn't she?" Nefarious asked. "And...why are you still walking towards me?"

"I was planning on dismembering you before interrogating your head," Clank replied calmly.

Nefarious staggered back, practically tripping over Lawrence. "But...but you're the hero! Heroes don't do that!"

"I'm not a hero just now," Clank replied. "I'm a parent worried about his child..." His eyes turned red. "And you know something."

"Lawrence!" Nefarious screamed in terror. "Get us out of here!"

"Immediately, sir," Lawrence replied, teleporting them both away.

Clank stared after the vanished foes and sighed, disengaging his energy blade. "So much for that lead," he muttered. "Now, Sigmund...show me what I need to do to fix this place."

"Right away, sir!"


By the time Ratchet and Twilight had made it to the Breegus System, Qwark had managed to catch back up with them, claiming to have 'taken a shortcut taught to him by a pink skeleton'. Ratchet and Twilight both decided not to question that. Besides, Twilight found much more amusement in Qwark's retelling of his meeting with Sasha and Angela, especially the expressions Ratchet made in reaction.

"You realize this ship has an ejector seat, right Twilight?" Ratchet chided as she laughed anew at Qwark's retelling of Sasha's testimony of 'Ratchet in the bedroom', even if Qwark didn't quite realize that's what he was describing.

"As if Aphelion would eject her niece," Twilight countered.

"I certainly wouldn't!" Aphelion confirmed.

Ratchet sighed. "At least you aren't laughing at me, sis." He was...rather touched to learn that Aphelion was, technically, his sister, and he found in himself a desire not unlike Twilight's for a sibling. As such, he'd taken to referring to her as 'sis'.

"Oh, I have been," Aphelion replied. "Just silently, to spare your ego."

Unfortunately, having a sibling came with all the difficult parts as well. Groaning, Ratchet checked the nav computer. "So where are we headed? We're in the Breegus System...where to now?"

"Dunno," Qwark replied. "Talwyn only said the sector was crawling with mercenaries. Took a while to convince Sasha and Angela not to come to your aid when they heard that-"

"Wait! Angela and Sasha have met Talwyn?" Ratchet gasped out.

"Of course!" Qwark replied. "They were talking about having a slumber party while they waited for the call for backup. Those three are getting along like a house afire!"

Groaning, Ratchet slammed his forehead into the console.

"Warning! Warning! Unidentified anomaly detected!" Aphelion announced, red lights flashing over the console.

"I didn't do it!" Ratchet shouted out, prompting even more laughter from Twilight.

A strange blue energy wave passed over the ship.

"Error!" Aphelion shouted out. "Unknown energy overloading systems. Shutting down all but life support to preserve AS functionality! Crash protocols engaged!"

"Hang on!" Ratchet shouted, doing his best to steer the ship with the unresponsive controls.

The ship cut into the atmosphere of an unknown planet at an unsafe angle, only just barely shifting to protect the occupants from an excess of reentry heat. Pieces of the ship broke off as it fell.

"Twilight! Can you give us any protection?" Ratchet begged.

"That energy wave...it messed with my magic!" Twilight groaned, clutching her head as blue lightning arced up and down her horn. "Can't...push past it..."

As Aphelion bounced and tumbled through the atmosphere and off landscape, she flipped one last time into what would be a lethal crash...only to halt as the air around them all turned blue.

Twilight blinked as the energy dissipated around her horn. "...oh. That's why I couldn't force past it. I thought it was spatial energy, but it was temporal energy!" Popping open the canopy, she calmly hopped down debris that were suspended in midair.

"Uh...Twilight?" Qwark called out. "Are you sure it's...safe?"

"It's Zoni magic," Twilight replied. "I've dealt with it before. It's the same time manipulation ability Clank was using while we were going after Tachyon, but on a much more massive scale."

"So...is it safe to leave Aphelion here and explore?" Ratchet asked.

Twilight glanced over Aphelion, scanning with her magic. "...it's going to have to be," she murmured worriedly. "This anomaly right here is the only thing keeping her AS functioning. If we try to move her out of the anomaly, her core systems will be wiped. We're...we're going to need to find some way to address the anomaly to get her out of there."

"Alright," Ratchet replied, hopping out of the ship. "Let's go explore this uncharted jungle and find some Zoni."

"Should somebody stand guard over her?" Qwark asked. "In case the anomaly fades?"

Twilight shook her head. "Bad idea," she countered. "There's only three of us while Aphelion's offline. We shouldn't leave anyone on their own in a new environment. That's just asking for trouble, or kidnappings..." She winced visibly, biting her tongue. "I don't want to risk losing anyone...not now."

Qwark nodded. "Alright Twilight. Aphelion's...a big girl. I guess she can take care of herself."

With that, the trio turned to head into the uncharted wilderness.

PreviousChapters Next