• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,929 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,929

PreviousChapters Next
Deadlocked: Indoctrination

Twilight curled up on her bed in her containment suite, sniffling. She hadn't made her own way back; a robot had been sent to collect her and deposit her back in her suite. She didn't really care, though. She was all alone here...and would likely remain that way, with only her thoughts and memories of happier times for company.

She idly wondered how long it would take her to snap and start talking to her wrench and guns?

A knock at the door to the bot lab where her bed was startled her, and she turned, surprised to see someone who was actually biological. He was roughly humanoid in shape, by appearance the same species type as Qwark. Narrow legs, broad shoulders, thinly muscled arms, garbed in red and black complimented by silver metal and glowing blue crystal. He wore no mask, but he did have a HUD visor pushed up towards the cowlick of his blond hair. A cape with what was obviously his symbol hung from his shoulders.

"Hear things are rough for ya, kid," he said without preamble, stepping in calmly.

Twilight backed up nervously. "W...who are you?"

"Ace Hardlight," the man replied.

"Oh," Twilight replied softly. "The champ..."

Ace nodded. "Yeah, that's me. Heard you just came in. First day's always the roughest."

"Does it really get easier?" Twilight asked, curling up in a tight ball, her wings folded around her as though trying to block out the world.

"Not alone, it doesn't," Ace replied. "You gotta have someone here to make things easier. Can't believe they stuck someone young as you in this alone. Whoever made that decision is gonna have to sing sweet to keep their job."

"Does...does that mean I'm going to be with Daddy?" Twilight asked hopefully.

Ace scratched the back of his head. "Sorry, I'm afraid that's something I can't quite pull off. Even as the champ, I don't have that much influence..."

Twilight's face fell, and she turned to curl back up on herself.

"But..." Ace continued. "I did manage to pull a few strings to get you some company that might help you be a...little less lonesome. Something to help cheer you up." He stepped aside from the door.

Two battle robots floated into the room. Both looked rather old and beaten up, probably days - if not hours - away from being scrapped. One of them held a sniper rifle, and was somewhat scrunched in on himself. The other - a fembot - carried a pair of wrist mounted flamethrowers with a fuel tank strapped to her back.

"They don't get much use, since they're specialized," Ace explained. "But both their personality cores are quite unique, so they should provide good company." He gestured towards the flame wielding fembot. "From what I hear, she was actually a caretaker bot, before she got reconfigured for combat."

Twilight got to her hooves, taking a look at her new battle bots. She then smiled up at Ace Hardlight. "T-thanks," she stammered.

"Don't mention it, kid," he replied easily. "Seriously, don't. I've got a rep to maintain."

Stifling a giggle, Twilight turned to the sniper. "I'm Twilight Sparkle. What's your name?"

"Who?" the sniper responded.

Twilight blinked. "You. Your name."

"Who?"

"I'm talking to you."

"Who?"

"The sniper robot right in front of me!"

"Who?"

"The-"

The fembot held up one hand. "That's all he can say, Twilight," she pointed out. "He has a defective voice box, and refuses to let anyone replace it."

Twilight blinked at that for a bit, then giggled. Turning, she noticed that the bot's faceplate flared back in an avian manner. "...I'm gonna call you Owloiscius," she stated firmly. She then turned to the fembot, noticing a certain reptilian cast of her face plate. "And...can I call you Barb?"

The fembot shrugged. "It's the best name I've been called in years," she replied. "Ever since I was just called 'Nana'."

Twilight smiled as she curled back up on her bed, shivering slightly against the cold. She flinched in surprise as something was wrapped around her.

Ace stepped back with a smile as he finished tucking his cape around her like a blanket. "Wouldn't be good for ratings if a rising star caught a cold," he joked.

Twilight smiled gently. Leaning up, she gave him a light peck on his cheek. "Thanks," she whispered. She giggled as she saw him pull back quickly and rub at his cheek like he'd just gotten cooties. As he turned to leave, Twilight turned to Barb. "So...you were a caretaker bot?"

"Nursemaid bot, to be specific," Barb replied. "Took care of the children on an agro-colony while the adults were in the fields...at least, I did until the Thunder Soldiers broke my old body to bits and sold me for scrap."

Twilight gasped. "Oh my gosh! You're the nursemaid bot that raised Daddy! You remember him, right? Little Lombax named Ratchet?"

Barb blinked. "No way he can have a kid your age already! He can't be 20 yet!"

Twilight laughed eagerly as she started telling Barb about her Daddy, and hearing stories of Ratchet's childhood in return. It was almost as good as having him with her.


Vox raised an eyebrow as Ace Hardlight stepped into his office. "What was all that schmaltz about?" he demanded, gesturing at the feed from the cameras locked on Twilight's containment suite.

Ace smirked. "Hey, she's happy with a couple scraps, and she'll put on a good show when she fights. That's what you wanted, right?"

"But what was with that...bonding?" Gleeman demanded, gagging on the last word.

Hardlight chuckled. "You said the reason my merchandise wasn't selling was because I had no charisma, right? And if I couldn't sell it, you'd find someone who could?" He gestured to where Twilight was snuggling into the Ace Hardlight cape. "How are sales on that since this broadcast?"

Vox glanced at some of his figures. "...huh. All Ace Hardlight sales are up 10%...and the capes are up 45%." He raised an eyebrow. "Is that what all that was? Just using her to boost sales?"

"Course it was," Ace replied. "You didn't think I'd gone soft, did you?"

Vox threw his head back and laughed. "Not bad, champ! Not bad at all. How'd you know it would work?"

"All those complaints about her being sad when she wanted her Pops," Ace replied. "Knew she'd cling to anyone showing her any sort of consideration...and the fans would cling to anyone she clung to."

Vox rubbed his hands together eagerly. "Brilliant! It seems you have a brain in your head after all, champ! Keep this up, and I might actually start making money off you again!"

Ace waved his hand dismissively as he left the office. Halfway back to his own chambers, however, his walk slowed. When he'd told Twilight he 'pulled some strings' for her, he knew he had been lying through his teeth. When he'd been talking to Vox just now, he'd been saying what he genuinely believed to be the truth: using Twilight to boost his own rep.

So why was it the conversation with Vox that made him feel dirty?

PreviousChapters Next