• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,911 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,911

PreviousChapters Next
Arsenal: Annihilated Nation

Ratchet and Clank sat back and watched as Twilight went through the challenges at Annihilation Nation to calm her nerves before challenging the Gauntlet that would let her meet Courtney Gears again. While Ratchet had been nervous the first time Twilight had entered the arena, he wasn't worried in the slightest now. It was literally impossible for Twilight to lose the obstacle courses, as the blade bots and the laser or mace wielding automatons couldn't get close enough to her without being smashed or exploded, and the rest of the course used so much heat that she could easily fly over the entire thing. Apparently, the makers of the challenges had no idea how to handle a sophont born with wings.

The arena challenges were even easier for her. On weapon cycling challenges, Twilight went nuts with her guns and other equipment, blasting away her enemies. She never actually took a hit in the arena - mostly because she was too small a target for the robots to lock onto easily and had too much firepower - so the challenges where she couldn't take damage were easy as well. When the sleep gas was utilized, Twilight just activated the O2 mask part of her helmet...which left the arena promoters feeling really stupid as it wasn't against the rules. The specific weapon challenges proved more difficult for Twilight, as she'd never mastered ammo conservation, but she managed to clear them as well. When she first realized she was running low on ammo in the challenge, she began dodging between the targets, making them destroy each other.

Even the fights against the massive enemies proved simple for her. Since there weren't any limits on strategies with them, she took her fight to the skies. On the Terrible Two, she took out the one who went up into the air first before bombarding the one remaining on the ground from out of range. As the one who went airborne first was the one with the rockets, this left the other completely helpless. Taking to the air also put her out of range of any of Scorpio's attacks, rendering him not even a threat.

After a time, Twilight came back out to check the challenge lists. "Alright, what else is there...?" She scanned the list of open challenges, her eyes flicking past the championship match to meet Courtney Gears.

"Well, you could take the challenge to meet Courtney Gears now," Clank offered.

"I could...or I could see if there are any other challenges I haven't done yet!" Twilight said, scanning through them.

"Twilight, you've completed them all already," Ratchet pointed out. "Even the Qwarktastic Challenge they let you take special because the audience was demanding it. Heck, even the special 'Clean as the Captain' challenge by completing it without getting hit! There's nothing else left to do!"

"Not true!" Twilight countered, her eyes flicking back and forth. "I could...do some of those challenges over again to make more money for the Galactic Rangers! That'll be fun!"

Ratchet and Clank stared at her. "Twilight," Clank began, "are you deliberately delaying meeting with Courtney Gears?"

Twilight glanced away. "...no..." she mumbled unconvincingly.

"Why?" Ratchet asked.

Twilight scuffed her hoof on the metal floor. "...I'm afraid I'm going to make a fool of myself, the way I have every other time I've spoken on camera without a script," she muttered.

"Then why not make yourself a script?" Clank offered.

"...because I have no idea what Courtney's going to say..."

Ratchet thought for a time, then grinned. "Then forget about the cameras."

"Huh?" Twilight asked in confusion.

"Indeed," Clank agreed. "Don't speak in public. Just talk to Courtney."

"But...but she's a celebrity!" Twilight countered.

"So is Captain Qwark, but you don't have any trouble talking to him," Ratchet pointed out.

"Well, yeah," Twilight admitted. "But he's an idiot."

Ratchet and Clank both smirked at her.

It took a few moments for it to click. "Oh." She grinned sheepishly. "Silly me." Turning, she entered the challenge.


After easily clearing the obstacle course portion of the challenge, Twilight entered the arena. "Alright!" she said eagerly. "What have you got for me this time?"

"Well, Miss Sparkle," the announcer began, "you've easily cleared through every single challenge we've thrown at you. If you keep this up, we'll have to shut down! So we've come up with an extra special challenge for you..."

"Oh?" Twilight asked eagerly.

The gates of the arena opened. Out came the sword wielding grunts, the mace wielding bots, and the laser hand bots. Twilight did her best to count, and came up with around 100 enemies total.

"Here's our special challenge for you, Twilight!" the announcer proclaimed. "Defeat all these enemies...without dealing or receiving damage...in under 5 minutes!" The crowd oohed in appreciation.

"Wait, what?" Twilight shouted in desperation.

"Starting...now!"

As the timer started to tick downwards, Twilight glanced back and forth amongst the enemies in a panic. How was she supposed to-

An idea formed in her mind, like a light bulb over her head. The whole point was to make the targets attack each other...

Focusing her magic, she released a ball of light into the air. It floated above the arena, and she floated up beneath it to stand on a hard light platform she made with her magic. The sphere began to pulse like a strobe. It then began to release a riot of color patterns like a Disco ball.

As the timer hit 4:30, the music began to play.

All the combatants froze up as the hypnotic effects of the lights and music took hold. Twilight, for her part, began to dance on the platform. This wasn't a dance about expressing herself, however. That was too destructive. No, this was a dance about controlling others. She began her careful movements aboard the platform.

As she swayed back and forth, walking forward and back on all fours, the other arena combatants swayed into place in a circle around the platform. They swayed their arms in time to the movements of her forelegs. The ones who had legs moved them in echo of the movements of her hind legs. The robots with weapon arms swung them in time to her wings.

As the music played, she went into a spin, flaring her wings. The blade wielding grunts flipped onto their backs, doing a break dance spin. The robots spun with their weapons, the laser hand bots firing their lasers horizontally, destroying all the robots.

Seeing this, and feeling the magic start to lose its power, Twilight stood up on her hind legs and began a swaying trot forward. The sword wielding grunts moved forward, tightening the circle until there wasn't much space remaining between them. As the last of the song's lyrics began, Twilight made her move.

"Every-" She threw back her head, making her mane flare backwards. The grunts mimicked her actions, sending their helmets flying.

"-body-" She lowered her right front hoof. The grunts lowered their shields.

"-dance-" She brought her left front hoof to her right front hoof. The grunts brought the hilts of their swords against their shields.

"-now!" She brought her left front hoof up in the classic disco pose. Mimicking her actions, the grunts threw their hands up...impaling their blades in the skulls of their neighbor all around the circle.

The grunts slowly fell over backwards. Twilight stood on the slowly lowering magic platform, her wings mantled angelically around her, her forelegs spread low and wide as though she were curtsying. The platform reached the floor of the arena just as the music ended and the ball of light faded.

As the music came to an end, Twilight pulled out her 'gadget ideas' tablet. Using its built in data scanner, she uploaded the spell formula she'd used. Find a way to bind the spell to an object, she noted. Perhaps an actual levitating disco ball. Works on the same princible as the holographic disguise devices, but works by directly manipulating the subjects muscle control. However, direct control as I used it would be impossible for a device to handle all on its own. Perhaps just cause uncontrollable dancing?

Her notes were interrupted as the announcer began speaking again. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I've never seen a performance like this before! Twilight's Dance of Death has brought her foes to their knees - and backs - before her! Unbelievable! All hail the reigning champion of Annihilation Nation...Twilight Sparkle!"

Twilight blushed, waving to the cameras as the audience cheered.

"She'll take home a rare first edition Qwark video comic!" the announcer proclaimed. "And here to present her with the grand prize, the incredible, incomparable, intalented-" Twilight suppressed a snort "-Courtney Gears!"

Twilight watched as Courtney walked up, displaying the vid comic. She walked with a practiced sway of her hips, plainly designed to draw the eyes to her appealing specifications, as Ratchet had commented on previously.

Then it hit Twilight. Practiced. Courtney Gears wasn't just a celebrity. She had practiced her walk and dance moves to get where she was. She had trained. She had worked for it, in her own way. She wasn't just a celebrity. She was also a person. Twilight found herself smiling, deciding to take Clank's advice, and talk to the person.

Courtney Gears smiled as she knelt down beside Twilight, presenting the game to her. "My, my, Sparks...you're even more adorable in person the you are on the Holo," she said softly.

Twilight chuckled, stowing the game away. She was still wearing her Sparks prosthetic, so she looked like her character. And it seemed Courtney was a fan. She'd learned a bit how to handle fans.

"And far more graceful," Courtney continued. "With dance moves like that, I should see about getting you in one of my videos."

Twilight couldn't stop herself from blushing. Dancing...in one of those music videos? Trying to be...provocative? "I'll t-think about it," she stammered.

Courtney Gears chuckled. "Oh, you are just too cute! Say...do you think you could introduce me to your guardian, Secret Agent Clank? I'd love to meet him."

Twilight relaxed easily. She actually believed the things in the holo films were real, too? Like the Galactic President and Dr. Nefarious? Ratchet had apparently hit the nail on the head by comparing her to Qwark. However, it opened the door for a way to get the info they needed, and get some new gear while preparing a few contingencies. "I think I can do one better," she replied. "How would you like to star as the lovely Baroness in the next film?"

Courtney gasped happily. "Oh, I'd do anything to be in one of those films. Can you really manage it?"

Twilight grinned widely. "Well...Clank does need a few new leads in the Nefarious investigation...and a few clues point to you maybe knowing more than you let on. Think you could pass those details on to Clank after filming?"

Courtney chuckled. "It'd be a pleasure," she breathed eagerly.

"See you at Holostar Studios, then!" Twilight said happily as the filming ended.


Back on the ship, Twilight placed a private call. "Derek? Can you make a place in the next Clank holo for Courtney Gears?"

"The Courtney Gears?" Derek asked in shock. "I thought I'd have to kill to get her scheduled, even to play the lead!"

"Well, I've got her," Twilight replied, "and we're on our way to film it."

"In the middle of saving the galaxy?" Derek asked, confused. Then his expression turned sly. "Oh, I see. This is part of the mission?"

Twilight grinned. "You catch on quick, Mr. Tovid. Speaking of...I'm going to need a stunt double for Clank."

Derek tilted his head in confusion, but nodded in agreement.

PreviousChapters Next