• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,916 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,916

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude: Stars and Stripes

Angela Cross stopped by the Megapolis apartment for what she was certain would be the last time. Her light knock on the door was quickly answered by a cheery looking filly. "Angela!" Twilight greeted happily. "Come on in! Daddy's not awake yet, but I think he'll be happy to see you when he wakes up!"

Angela winced. She hadn't been looking forward to this conversation today with Ratchet. She definitely wasn't looking forward to having it in front of Twilight, or with Twilight. "So how you holding up?" she asked, walking carefully to avoid tripping. "Fully recovered from what happened?"

"Pretty much," Twilight replied. "My magic is taking a longer time than usual to return to full strength, but all things considered, that's probably to be expected, right?"

Angela chuckled, shaking her head. "Someone as young as you shouldn't be talking about an event that resulted in such total exhaustion as 'usual'."

Twilight giggled. "I don't exactly live a normal life, that's for sure." Twilight focused as she levitated some tea out. "So how are things with you and Daddy?"

Angela flinched visibly. "Twilight...I really didn't want to talk with you until I'd talked with Ratchet about this..."

Twilight gasped happily. "Oh my gosh, are you pregnant?"

"No!" Angela said quickly. "No, I'm not pregnant." Seeing Twilight's disappointment and confusion, Angela realized she was going to have to tell her. "Twilight...I'm afraid I'm going to have to break up with Ratchet."

"What? Why?" Twilight asked, her ears flat against her head. "Don't you like him?"

"Of course I like him," Angela hastened to assure the distraught filly. "He's a swell guy, really sweet. He'll make somebody really happy someday. But...just now, that somebody can't be me. Even if he weren't ten years younger than me..."

"That shouldn't be a problem!" Twilight pointed out. "I mean, he's a Lombax, just like y-"

Angela's hands shot out, covering Twilight's mouth. "Don't say that!" she hissed quietly. "Don't ever say that! You have no idea how dangerous that information is!"

Twilight's eyes went wide in surprise and fear.

Angela sighed. She hated having to scare Twilight like this, but there was a reason things were like this. She decided to be as vague as possible. "Look...there's...a danger. Something that makes it not safe to be a Lombax. Ratchet is safe enough in Solana, and hasn't made a big enough name for himself to draw attention, especially with how young he is. I'm a different story. I don't dare draw attention to myself, and two known Lombaxes would draw attention like nobody's business, and I'm old enough to draw attention all on my own if I was known."

Twilight pulled away from her hands. "But it can't be that bad-"

"I cut off my own tail to hide!" Angela hissed. "Without my tail, my balance and stability is whack, but I can pass for any other felinoid species in the known universe, and there are plenty. Not only that, no one who knows anything about Lombaxes would believe one would cut off their own tail, because it doesn't grow back...ever." She took a few calming breaths, hating herself for terrorizing Twilight like this. "So...as long as that threat exists...as much as I like Ratchet, we can't go any further than we have."

Twilight stared at her for a time, and Angela feared she'd traumatized the poor filly. But then she spoke up. "So will you look Ratchet up after we've destroyed this threat?"

One of Angela's eyebrows shot up to her ear while the other tried to fold over her eyeball. "Excuse me?" she asked in disbelief.

"Daddy heard about Drek taking planets apart in Solana, and we saved the galaxy, stopping Drek," Twilight explained. "Then we learned about everything here in Bogon, and wound up dealing with that. Logically, if there's a threat that's going to be focused on Daddy at some point, Daddy, Clank, and I are going to end up dealing with it so it isn't a threat anymore!" Twilight beamed with the strength of her conviction in this regard. "So if we eliminate this threat, will you look Daddy up again?"

Angela chuckled, shaking her head in disbelief at the filly's innocent optimism. She wasn't sure how Twilight could still have it after everything she'd been through - Ratchet had talked a lot about Twilight on their few dates - but it was reassuring that it was so. It almost let Angela believe that Ratchet could pull off the insane achievement Twilight had suggested. "Tell you what: if you do pull it off, I'll happily join Ratchet's harem. How's that sound?"

Twilight tilted her head. "What's a harem?"

Angela laughed, having forgotten momentarily that Twilight was only seven. "In this case, it's when one male has several females as romantic partners."

Twilight gasped. "You mean I'll get lots of Mommies?" she squealed happily.

Angela rolled her eyes. "You just might," she joked.

"I'll hold you to that!" Twilight said happily. Then she blinked. "Wait...does that mean I could get a harem of boys?" she asked eagerly.

Angela chuckled again. "Aren't you still in the 'boys are icky' stage of growth?"

"Of course I am," Twilight countered. "But I've read enough to know that won't last forever, and the notion of lots of guys fawning over me and waiting on me wing and hoof has a guilty sort of appeal, you know?"

Angela smirked. "Save the galaxy enough times, and you'll get one whether you like it or not."

At that point, Ratchet came down from the bedrooms. "Oh, Angela, you're here." He looked somewhat nervous and sorrowful. "I...need to talk to you. Twilight, could you excuse us-"

"You're going to ask to just be friends because you feel your priority right now should be taking care of me, aren't you?" Twilight asked piercingly.

Ratchet winced. "I didn't want to-"

"Talk about it in front of her because you didn't want her to blame herself for us breaking up?" Angela interpreted.

Ratchet face palmed. "And there's reason two. One woman reading me like a book is more than I can take. Two is more than any man should have to deal with!" He grinned at Angela to show he was joking.

Angela smiled. "Actually, it's kind of a relief for me that you've made this decision." She stood up and scratched the back of her head. "I actually came here this morning to tell you that I didn't think things would work out between us because I didn't think either of us were ready for a serious relationship at this point in our lives."

Ratchet smiled sheepishly. "Well, I suppose that at least makes it easy for us to part as friends, right?"

"Yeah, it does," Angela agreed. "But hey, if we're in the same neck of the universe in a decade or so, maybe we could try it again?"

Ratchet's smile became more confident. "I'd like that."

They shook hands happily.

"See you around!" Angela said happily, making her way out.

Ratchet headed into the kitchen to start making breakfast. While he was in there, however, he paused. Taking out a tablet, he made a note to himself.

Identify threat to Lombaxes.
Eliminate threat to Lombaxes.
Harem get! :D

A hero he may have been. A loving and responsible father as well. But he was also 17.


Later that day, there was another knock on the door. Clank opened it, revealing a suave looking bearded sophont with yellow skin, dressed in a dark brown jacket and blue shirt.

"Clank, baby, there you are!" he said eagerly, shaking Clank's hand. "I've been looking all over for you! Have I got the deal of a lifetime for you!"

Clank stared at him for a time. "I'm sorry, but I don't believe we've met. Who are you?"

"Derek Tovid, biggest director in Solana and Bogon!" the man introduced himself. "My card!" He handed over a business card. "But let's get to business, Clank baby! I want to make you a star!"

"A...star?" Clank asked, surprised.

"What are you talking about?" Ratchet asked curiously. Twilight also walked over, intrigued.

"I've got this brand new holovision series lined up, and it's just perfect for you! Take a look at this!" Derek showed a title card.

"Secret Agent Clank!" he proclaimed proudly. "You, the suave, debonair, super spy versus anything the forces of evil - and the writers imagination and film budget - can throw at you! I'll make you the star everyone wants to see! What do you say?"

Clank thought about it for a time. "Can my friends participate, too?" he asked.

Derek looked over Ratchet. "Hmm...well, I suppose I can work him in somehow. Any super spy needs a staff-"

"Oh! Oh! Me too! Me too!" Twilight squealed, bouncing happily. "I can be the Penny to his Gadget! Or the Jade to his Jackie!"

"The who to what?" Derek asked in confusion.

Twilight sighed. "Old Earth television series. Very successful in their day. Basically, I'm the smart and spunky little girl sidekick who never stays home when she's told, sometimes has to be rescued, but also sometimes bails him out!"

Derek scratched at his beard. "I don't know..."

"It would really bring in the parents-with-kids crowd since it gives the kids someone to identify with," Ratchet pointed out.

Derek shrugged. "We'll give it a reel and see what happens," he allowed.

By the time the pilot episode aired, Secret Agent Clank was the hot new show in Solana and Bogon, and there was a major legal battle between Gadgetron and Holostar Studios over who, exactly, had the rights to make and sell official Twilight Sparkle plushies...although in the holo-films, Twilight's character was called Sparks and wore a rather adorable half-robot mask to imply she was a cyborg filly.

PreviousChapters Next