• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,940 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,940

PreviousChapters Next
4-gotten: Training Days

Before long, the elevator came to a halt at the training facility...which looked no different from any other area of the facility they'd seen so far. As they moved forward, the ways to get past various obstacles was displayed on the wall where they could see. "This is beginning to feel like an old game Daddy and I used to play," Twilight began. "...and Mommy and I would mod to make more challenging. Never did figure out how to make the handheld portal generator work for real the way it did in the game, though. Though that research did eventually become the Rift Inducer, and later the Rift Inducer 5000..."

"Did you remember to utilize the proper reactive wall substance for portal generation?" Nefarious inquired. "A lot of sophonts forget about the portals only working on walls coated in that special white goo."

Twilight paused, raising a hoof to her chin. "...you know, I never did look into that. That detail was only added in the second game, so I didn't think it was that important...but if I mixed the right reactive compounds..."

"Rotten bananas have been discovered under the air purification filter," the computer pronounced. "Dispatching cleaner bots."

"Susie seems to be going out of her way to give us a smooth escape," Alister commented dryly. "Perhaps we should save distracting discussion until we're either out of the death trap dungeon or heavily armed enough we don't need to worry about it?"

"That's a good point, Twilight," Qwark reminded her. "Most of the reason you can ignore danger is your extensive arsenal...which we don't have with us. And falling back on raw magic power burns you out rapidly, so you'll need to be stingy about that, too."

Twilight rolled her eyes as they swung across the gap via linked swingshots, the two pairs swinging together to cross. "BBBFF, sometimes I really hate it when you're right."

As they passed, the computer spoke again. "Excellent work. You will make fine minions."

Twilight couldn't help it. She began to sing under her breath. "...and the science gets done, and you make a neat gun, for the people who are...still alive!"

"I always preferred 'Want You Gone', personally," Nefarious countered as the door opened.

"Over here!" Susie called out from the other side of the door, gesturing with her head. "You guys are pretty smart, she thinks you're one of them!"

"I am impressive, aren't I?" Qwark gloated, grinning ear to ear.

"An interloper has been located in the Sector Two training lab," the computer intoned.

"You get out of here, Susie," Twilight instructed. "We'll be fine from here."

"Okay!" Susie replied, opening another door for them. "I left a present for you all on the Charging Station in the Equipment Room. It's on the other side of the lab! I'll meet you at the south exit!"

"Think she'll make it?" Nefarious whispered to Twilight as they rushed through.

"I think so," Twilight replied, taking a pot shot at a robot that was blocking their path. "She seems to know her way around here."

"They have names, you know," the computer chided robotically. "You just destroyed...Carl."

"Okay, even I'm seeing it now," Qwark spoke up.

"I refuse to believe you were any good at that game!" Nefarious snapped.

"What?" Qwark countered. "Leaping about in systems someone else designed, cracking open locks, and smashing things? That's totally my thing as a hero!"

"Smashing with your fist wasn't an option in the game to crack locks," Nefarious countered.

Qwark met the glare for a time, then lowered his head. "Okay, I admit, I lost my lunch the first time I did the infinite fall and never finished the game."

"Hah!" Nefarious snapped.

Before long, the group reached the Charging Station Susie had mentioned, where four gadgets like the one she'd been using awaited them. Twilight eagerly rushed forward, squealing, "New toy new toy new toy new toy!"

"There's a letter," Alister commented, pointing it out.

"And it's written in macaroni!" Qwark squealed, scooping it up as he took one of the gadgets. "Dear Lombax and friends," he read, "these Vac-U's will come in handy. Love Susie." Curiously, he pulled the trigger. A massive suction force pulled Nefarious' rear into the gadget's wide barrel, leaving him braced - and stuck - to the gadget.

"Let me go you half-wit!" Nefarious snapped angrily, struggling to get off the Vac-U.

"I'm trying!" Qwark snapped.

"There's a reverse button on the side!" Twilight called out.

Nodding, Qwark pushed the button, sending Nefarious flying through the air. Before he could smash into a pile of crates, Twilight caught him in her magical field, setting him down gently.

"Qwark!" Nefarious growled out. "You miserable, incompetent-"

"Call me a name I don't call myself already!" Qwark countered with a wide grin.

Nefarious stared, slack-jawed. Twilight and Alister burst into laughter at his expression. Finally, Nefarious stomped his foot. "You are not allowed to stupefy me by insulting yourself!" he snapped. "That's not fair!"

"That's what happens when Twilight gets her hooves on you!" Qwark countered with a wide grin. He blinked as he noticed his Vac-U activate itself as it was surrounded by a purple aura, sucking Twilight into the barrel.

"Me next! Me next!" Twilight squealed.

Chuckling, Qwark pulled the trigger sending Twilight flying as she squealed happily. Nefarious just shook his head in disbelief.

PreviousChapters Next