• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,911 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,911

PreviousChapters Next
Time Epilogue: Growing Family

As the story reached its end, Kaden, Vashiir, and even Alister were completely awed. Being in the Great Clock made storytelling a truly immersive experience, as Orvus was able to call up the image of the actual events for all present to watch it happen. Despite the story being interrupted no less than 13 times for Twilight and Kaden to 'geek out' over various inventions and developments - it had taken a full hour to drag them away from Twilight's 'wrench saber' - the whole group finally made it through the emotional roller coaster of Ratchet, Clank, Twilight, and Qwark's lives together. Well before the tale reached its conclusion, Twilight was firmly ensconced in Vashiir's lap, being given motherly comforting caresses and mane and tail brushes. The events of Bogon, the Dreadzone, and the Technomites had been rough for Twilight to relive, and Vashiir had focused all her attention on helping her through it.

"You've had quite the adventurous life," Kaden said finally. "Saved three different galaxies multiple times, a loving family, and three separate ladies in pursuit of your affections?" He shook his head in wonder. "I can barely handle one. How'd you do it?" He quickly ducked a swipe at the back of his head from Vashiir.

Ratchet chuckled nervously. "It kinda sorta just happened," he admitted nervously, still unsure how to handle talking about such things with his parents.

"I helped!" Twilight piped up happily, causing Clank and Qwark to chuckle.

"Well, it's nice to know things are going well with you and Angela," Vashiir murmured. "Lorna was a dear friend of mine, and it's a relief to know she's got a bright future."

"And it's good to know Talwyn's getting along with you as well," Kaden added. "Had my original backup plan in case of events like Tachyon's assault pulled through, you'd have grown up with her."

"Although I have to say," Alister spoke up, "that Sasha is really something. I mean, I'd heard Cazars could be real wildcats, but...well, do I need to say anything?"

"Definitely not," Ratchet groaned, face in his hands. Kaden's idly curious inquiry about how well Ratchet fared in keeping the women in his life 'happy' had led to Orvus playing footage of himself and Sasha together for the whole group to see. He didn't know if he or Twilight was more mortified when that happened...or when Kaden started taking notes of things to try with Vashiir once they were fully recovered.

"The less said there, the better," Twilight grumbled. "I knew way too much about that already..."

Vashiir chuckled softly, gently stroking Twilight's mane. "Sorry, both of you," she offered apologetically. "Even if it is the parents' duty to embarrass the children, it's supposed to be with stories, not...this." She sighed sadly. "Even if we weren't there to hear the childhood stories..."

Ratchet stood with a smile, walking up to embrace her. "You're here now," he affirmed. "That's what matters."

Vashiir happily returned the embrace. "Thank you, Ratchet," she said gratefully, holding him close. After a time, she released him. "So-"

"Grandpa!" Twilight shouted angrily. "Stop tinkering with the viewer! It works just fine the way it is!"

"But I want to know how it works!" Kaden insisted. "And maybe I can improve on it!"

"Orvus had all of time to draw on to build this place!" Twilight countered. "Including everything you might ever build from being here! How do you expect to improve on developments you haven't already made yet?"

"I won't know until I try!" Kaden replied.

"Stop making that sound so appealing!" Twilight snapped back.

"Aren't you going to do anything, Father?" Clank asked curiously.

"Why?" Orvus inquired. "Either they will find some way to improve, or I can restore the machine from whatever they do to it with a single wave of a Chronoscepter. Where, exactly, is the downside of letting them experiment?"

"Twilight has magic," Clank pointed out.

"That's what makes things interesting!" Orvus insisted.

Vashiir chuckled, shaking her head. "So...when do we get to meet these girls, Ratchet?"

Ratchet scratched the back of his head. "As soon as I can arrange it," he insisted. "The only question is where and when."

"Either here or many years from now," Sigmund offered consolingly. "I'm afraid there are...long term side effects from Twilight's games with time."

"What do you mean?" Ratchet demanded worriedly. "I thought it all worked out well!"

"The problem is that all three of them are temporally out of sync with the rest of the universe," Sigmund explained. "That's what happens when you instantly shift over several years in frozen time. It's no problem for Orvus, since Zoni are naturally out of sync with the rest of time - it's how most of their abilities work - and it's no problem for Aphelion since she has a Quantum Actuator or a dozen built in. But for Kaden and Vashiir..." He shook his head sadly. "The Actuators in the Clock have been set to slowly adjust them back into sync with present chronality, but if they leave the Clock before the process is finished...all 20 plus years of skipped time will catch up to them all at once, and the momentum will just keep going. They'll...they'll be dust in moments." He shrugged. "And with so much rift energy involved, there's no way to predict how long the adaption process is going to take."

Ratchet sighed sadly, looking away.

"So you're saying instead of being dead, we have forced retirement in the most fascinating space station ever to exist where we can both watch and interact with Ratchet and his family at any time, since Aphelion is installed with a fully functional Obsidian Eye communications system?" Vashiir asked logically.

Sigmund blinked. "Well, umm...yes. I admit I hadn't thought to look at it that way."

"Are...are you sure you're okay with that Mom?" Ratchet asked worriedly.

"Ratchet," Vashiir chided gently, "we're in the pinnacle of science and magic for all of space and time. We can see any part of reality we want, complete with VR generators so accurate the only way you can tell it's not real is when the hurled Frisbee bounces off the invisible wall. Kaden and I have each other, and we can talk to you whenever we want as long as you're in communication range of Aphelion." She smiled widely. "That's an ideal retirement, and we're guaranteed to never get bored."

"So that's where I get my philosophical leanings," Ratchet offered with a chuckle. "Still...it'll mean it's going to be a while before you meet the girls..."

"You could bring them here," Orvus offered. "They are family to you. You are family to Clank, who is family to me. Ergo, they are family as well, and can be trusted with the secrets of the Clock."

"See?" Vashiir chided Ratchet. "Problem solved."

As Ratchet grinned widely, Clank aired his own concerns. "Are you certain it is wise to let Angela loose around the delicate machinery, Father?" he asked worriedly.

Orvus grinned widely. "And now you know why I've let Kaden and Twilight run free to experiment," he countered, lightly booping Clank where his nose would have been if he had one.

PreviousChapters Next