• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,897 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,897

PreviousChapters Next
Tools: Final Showdown

As Aphelion entered the atmosphere of Planet Fastoon, she immediately came under fire. "Warning! Warning!" she shouted out. "Tachyon's fighters have locked onto our position!"

"Don't worry!" Twilight replied. "I gave you the perfect countermeasure for homing weapons at our last pit stop. Activate the mirror protocol!"

"Understood!" Aphelion replied, activating the program. An odd signal was broadcast on Aphelion's ID frequency...and the weaponry that was locked onto her veered away, targeting Cragmite and Drophyd craft. "What?"

"In a battlefield as crowded as this, the only way to lock onto a target reliably is to lock onto their ID signal," Twilight explained. "This requires a smart missile, with Friend/Foe recognition protocols. The Mirror signal broadcasts on the ID frequency, and inverts the Friend/Foe definitions in anything locked onto us."

"Even so, it won't be safe to land," Ratchet pointed out. "You'll be a stationary target. They won't need to lock on with homing weapons."

"Then good luck, brother," Aphelion murmured, popping her canopy.

"Wait, what did you call MEEEEEEE?!" As he spoke the last word, the group was launched into a free fall.

"I have an aunt!" Qwark called out as he dove for the ground fist first, not bothering to try and slow his descent. He came down on a Cragmite skull, flipping off the crushed corpse to begin attacking with a wide grin on his face.

When Twilight, Ratchet, and Clank reached the surface of Fastoon, they saw that Tachyon had fortified the place, plainly intending to turn it into a new dark Cragmite capitol. Cronk, Zephyr, and Talwyn joined them, ready to charge through.

"Qwark, Cronk, Zephyr, lay down covering fire!" Ratchet ordered. "Talwyn, Twilight, with me! Let's take out those mega cannons so Aphelion can do some bombing runs!"

"Yes sir!" Qwark, Cronk, and Zephyr barked out.

"On it!" Twilight shouted.

"Be careful everyone," Talwyn cautioned as Clank hopped to Ratchet's back.

The Mega Cannons were plainly visible, and not that difficult to get to with the covering fire Ratchet and crew were given. Actually disabling them proved more difficult, as they were both well constructed and well armored. When they managed to destroy the first, the ground troops immediately focused their efforts on taking them out.

When the assault started becoming too intense, Twilight pulled out a Zurkon the Bearded. "Too many friendlies to Locate City, but anything else goes!"

"Zurkon the Bearded has no need for friends! Zurkon the Bearded has magic omnipotent!"

As the little robot charged into battle, Twilight couldn't help but feel there was something of emotional significance to herself in its words, but she couldn't for the life of her think what.

With all five Mega Cannons down, Aphelion was able to come in for a landing after a few quick bombing runs, causing enough chaos that the airborne troops weren't interested in tracking her. Beyond that, she'd called in the Pirate Fleet to engage in orbit, and their new armaments put them on an even footing with Tachyon's fleet.

With heavy confrontation in the skies, the Cragmite and Drophyd ships began sending more and more troops to the surface. As Aphelion was still working with the Pirate fleet to triangulate Tachyon's exact location, Ratchet and Twilight began unloading their arsenal on the landing troops. Since there was a Grummel-net vendor right nearby - which dispensed free nanotech refills in addition to selling ammunition - neither of them saw reason to be stingy or cautious.

As she watched the pair unload their arsenals, Talwyn gasped for breath. "So...that's what they're like when they cut loose?" she asked breathlessly.

"Not quite," Qwark corrected. "That's what they're like when they're having fun. If you want to see cutting loose, you should see them when they're angry."

A Cragmite managed to come up on Ratchet and Twilight unawares, leaping to attack. Clank, strapped to Ratchet's back, pointed his arm at the leaping Cragmite and fired a massive energy discharge that incinerated the Cragmite. "Do not mess with Agent Clank," he stated calmly before blowing the smoke from his hand.

"I see what you mean," Talwyn commented, priming her pistol. As she watched Ratchet fighting for a time, she bit her lip...then promptly turn to shoot a few other Cragmite and Drophyds, in a direction where she wouldn't be distracted by hunky Lombax.

With all the cooperative effort, it wasn't long before Aphelion had Tachyon's exact location. "Let's finish this!" Twilight proclaimed firmly. She, Ratchet, and Clank leapt into Aphelion's cockpit, riding to above Tachyon's location before leaping into battle with him.

Coming down in the Court of Azimuth, they found Tachyon waiting for them, Dimensionator on his head and riding a massive war armor. "You know, Lombax, when I laid siege to this place, the Lombaxes took shelter in these very walls. You seem far more capable than they could ever be. Perhaps that's why they left you and your father behind when they fled from this dimension."

"...Fled?" Ratchet asked, shocked. "What are you talking about?"

Tachyon grinned as he pulled the Dimensionator's power cord. "Dimensionator! Find the Lombaxes!"

Before Ratchet's very eyes, a dimensional gateway opened. Beyond the gate beneath a blue sky lay a shining city, the architecture unmistakably Lombax. A place of absolute peace. Ratchet was startled to discover just how strongly his heart yearned for the place.

"I offer you this one chance," Tachyon explained. "Go home. Join your race. Or stay...and suffer."

Ratchet, as though hypnotized, began to reach forward.

"Daddy?" Twilight called out worriedly.

Blinking, Ratchet turned, and saw Twilight looking up at him worriedly. Thoughts raced through his mind, and a realization struck him with a force unbearable. He turned back to Tachyon. "Here's my answer!" he snapped, yanking out his Negotiator rocket launcher and firing it at the Dimensionator.

Tachyon did his best to evade, but the Negotiator was homing. The explosion rocked the world.


When the blinding light faded, Ratchet, Clank, and Twilight found themselves in the midst of a Dimensional Vortex. The Cragmites, Drophyds, and Tachyon were all caught in the wake of the damaged Dimensionator. "You fool!" Tachyon roared. "Do you have any idea what you've done?!"

"What my Father would have done," Ratchet replied, drawing out his upgraded Omega Disruptor. "And now I'm going to finish the job he left me...with the weapon he left for me to find." He began to charge it.

Tachyon laughed. "Do you really think that is all it will take to stop me? A second rate Lombax weapon?"

Ratchet grinned widely. "Twilight took one apart and experimented with it. Found ways to upgrade it. Found out how to disengage the Charge Limiter. In a dimensional vortex like this..." He left that sentence hanging as the weapon began to shake from the amount of energy it was storing.

Tachyon stared a little nervously. "You're bluffing!" he proclaimed hysterically. "You wouldn't take such a risk!"

"Wouldn't I?" Ratchet replied. "I'm a Lombax. And in the words of, I'm certain, so many of my brethren..." He braced the Disruptor against the ground. "What does this button do?" He pulled the trigger.

Tachyon screamed as the dimensional blast knocked him into the Vortex, which quickly began to consume everything within it. Twilight managed to catch hold of the falling Dimensionator. "We need to get out of here, fast!"

Ratchet quickly looked over the device. "It's not working! I think something got knocked loose!"

"Perhaps a three and three-quarters centicubit hexagonal washer?" Clank suggested, holding out the one The Plumber had given him on Sargasso.

Grabbing it, he pushed it into the Dimensionator, where it clicked in. Strapping it on as the platform began to crumble, Ratchet grabbed hold of Twilight and Clank. "Dimensionator!" he called out as he pulled the cord. "Find home!"

The world swirled before their eyes, and he blacked out.

PreviousChapters Next