• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,914 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,914

PreviousChapters Next
4-gotten: Infiltration

It didn't take long for Twilight to modify her jetpack to work with her Omniboots to enable her to grind over a rail from a distance, maintaining altitude through a magnetic interaction between her boots and the 'rail', whether pipe or otherwise, that would keep her level while still allowing her to use the jetpack's kinetic rocket launcher. "Unfortunately," she explained as she finished, "the anti-gravity field my magic generates for flight naturally is necessary to properly balance the forces, so...I can't do the same for the rest of you."

"Quite alright!" Qwark proclaimed proudly. "I enjoy the feeling of the pipe beneath my boots as I grind to victory!"

"Then learn to dodge the hazards!" Nefarious snapped. "This wouldn't be an issue if you hadn't singed Twilight's feathers!"

"I said I was sorry!" Qwark whined.

"Could we start grinding before we keep arguing?" Alister pleaded. "At least then we'll be making progress!"

"Good idea," Twilight agreed as she took to the air, the others using the nearby launch pad to reach the pipeline.

As they raced down the pipe, they were able to spot a massive robot that could only be Commander Spog. He seemed to be a massive crimson shuttle for a central body, five massive fin like constructs directed up and to the sides, with two long, thin arms and a rocket booster on the bottom.

"Odd design," Twilight murmured. "I don't recognize it."

"Me neither," Nefarious added. "I saw nothing like that in the files of the Hall of Knowledge when I downloaded the entire database before Tachyon started selectively deleting the contents."

Twilight gasped, her eyes wide. "You have an uncorrupted, complete copy of the Hall of Knowledge database? Where?"

"One of my old bases," Nefarious explained as the group leapt to another pipe as the one they were on came to an end. "I'd be happy to show it to you...assuming the place is still intact."

Twilight grinned from ear to ear. "If I didn't have to keep a specific distance from the pipe to maintain flight, I would be bouncing with joy right now."

As they continued to grind down the pipe, a strange container of some sort was removed from its resting point on the pipe by Sprog as he flew around, ignoring them for the moment. Twilight held her fire until they could reach more stable ground for combat.

The pipe ended at a sequence of metal platforms, along with another weapons communication satellite waiting for them, although it had no new weapons available. With nothing to be gained there, the group continued along the path, seeking a way to corner Commander Spog for combat.

Their path took them through several waves of Warper Minion robots before looping around a single stone column, slowly climbing to the top via elevators and upward-sloping stone platforms. At one point, a new type of flying robot appeared with heavily reinforced arms. It obviously possessed some sort of special feature, but with the four of them firing together it didn't last long enough to demonstrate it.

After a time, the path led to another group launcher, flinging them across to another metal path...which promptly began to collapse beneath them due to shoddy construction.

"Run!" Twilight shouted out, quickly leaping into the air.

"Running running running running-" Qwark called out, racing ahead as fast as he could, Nefarious and Alister hot on his heels.

At the edge of the collapsing path was another group launcher...which deposited them at the end of another path that immediately started to collapse.

"Talk about shoddy construction!" Alister shouted as he raced ahead.

"Yeah!" Nefarious added. "Either make sure the path will hold up to being launched to, or don't put a launcher at the other end and leave it as a trap for the heroes!"

Thankfully, the next launcher landed them on more stable platforms much higher up. The whole group took a few moments to catch their breath before continuing along the linear path. They didn't encounter any further enemies until they neared the top of the spire, where they encountered a robotic turret with armored shields that spun rapidly, protecting it from weapons fire, and a glowing red dome reminiscent of various buttons they'd encountered, which could be activated by slamming it from above.

"It's rather obvious how to deal with this," Twilight murmured.

"Wait for it to slow down and the switch to pop up, then smash it?" Qwark asked.

"Yup!" Twilight confirmed as the group dodged around the fire that tried to track them. After a time, the turret started spraying bullets around itself that didn't reach far. When it stopped firing and the switch popped up, Alister launched Qwark up to slam the button from above.

Despite momentarily dazing the turret, no discernable damage was visible, and it soon began firing again. "Guess it takes more than one shot," Nefarious murmured.

After two more mortar toss slams, the turret collapsed, the shield wall it was guarding dropping as it collapsed. "Alright. Let's move out!" Alister insisted, taking point and moving down the path, pleased for the moment that they were starting to behave somewhat like a military unit.

Not far from there, the group once more found a Swing-hele-carrier to take them to a new area. "This'll probably take us pretty near Commander Spog," Twilight noted. "So we should probably stay quiet. Too much noise, and he'll know we're coming."

"Pretty sure the noise of the Swing-hele-carrier might alert him," Alister pointed out.

"He'll shrug it off as ordinary noise going on around here," Nefarious countered.

"So...no eye spy this time?" Qwark asked hopefully.

"No," Twilight stated firmly.

"Aww..."

PreviousChapters Next