• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,937 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,937

PreviousChapters Next
Time: Nefarious Intent

As they made their way to the space station, the two ships paused just outside the laser satellite defense barrier surrounding Nefarious' station. "So," Ratchet began over comms, "how do we get in? If we break through, Nefarious will know we're attacking."

"I believe I could make it through without breaching the barrier," Aphelion spoke up. "However, I cannot guarantee I could get a second ship through."

"It's probably best if you don't," Azimuth spoke up. "We should divide our forces at this point. My ship can breach the barrier if necessary. I'll stay out here and make some noise to divert Nefarious' attention. If you get cornered, call me and I'll bust in to help you."

"I...don't really like splitting up at this point..." Twilight murmured worriedly. "What if something happens to you?"

"Twilight, I've been taking care of myself in this galaxy for the past two and a half decades," Alister countered. "I can take care of myself quite well. You three have been a team for years as well. This is the most efficient way to handle things. Besides, someone needs to make sure Nefarious doesn't leave the station while we're infiltrating it."

"You make a valid point, General," Clank allowed after a time.

"Doesn't make this feel any less of a bad idea..." Twilight muttered.

"Once Nefarious isn't an issue anymore, we can take the time to help Azimuth if he gets in trouble," Ratchet explained calmly to Twilight. "He's the last threat to the Clock, after all."

"Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I'm going to throw a fuss over it," Twilight countered. "It's your call, Daddy. If you say we do it this way, we'll do it this way."

Ratchet nodded. "We're doing it. Good luck, General."

"You too, Ratchet!" Azimuth called as he directed his ship to peel away.

"Take us in, Aphelion."

"Yes sir!" Aphelion agreed. "Engaging quantum cloak. Entering temporal slipstream."

Aphelion activated her quantum fields, shifting herself to one second out of sync with the rest of the universe, allowing her to pass invisibly through the barrier.


Aphelion landed silently on one of the many linked asteroids surrounding Nefarious' Station. The station itself was a giant effigy of Nefarious head, with a large ring extending outward from where the ears would have been. The asteroids were within the range of the ring, but arranged above and below it.

As Ratchet, Clank, and Twilight leapt out, Qwark contacted them via communicators. "Dad, Mom, Sis, come in! I'm on an asteroid inside the main perimeter. Come meet me as soon as you can."

"We're on our way!" Ratchet replied fervently.

"And I have the food Aphelion made for Snowball miniaturized in my chassis," Clank added, patting his compartment.

"Thanks!" Qwark replied fervently before cutting communications.

"I have triangulated his position," Clank added. "Syncing to nav units now."

With his location locked in, the trio made their way forward carefully through the outer perimeter. The rocky asteroids were covered in pink bioluminescent fungal growths, and the occasional biological hostile. The three heroes easily dealt with any threats with low-energy weaponry that wouldn't draw too much attention from the station, and judicious use of Clank's new Time Bombs. Unfortunately, the path through the asteroids was not very straight forward, and even with Qwark's location marked on their nav units, they were forced to wander around until they found their way forward.

For some reason beyond any of their abilities to comprehend, the region governed by the space station had a breathable atmosphere with enough weight for Twilight to fly in, although she chose not to get too much air so as to avoid drawing attention. The only exceptions were a couple times where Ratchet missed landing on an asteroid and Twilight swooped down to pull him up as he fell.

"...okay, something's bothering me," Twilight muttered after the third such incident.

"Is it my sudden drop in acrobatic ability?" Ratchet suggested. "It's just that I have this weird kink in my tail just now, and-"

"No, not that," Twilight countered. "I can probably figure out why there's an atmosphere in a self-contained asteroid belt. Heck, even there being gravity to work with makes sense. But why is down out into space? Shouldn't it be towards the station or something? What's even down there to pull on us? I can't see anything down there!"

"A caged temporal anomaly," Clank answered as he glanced downward. "Apparently, Nefarious was somehow able to capture a piece of the time wave released when the Clock malfunctioned, and has a gravity cage containing it to analyze it to understand the Clock better."

"Oh," Twilight muttered. "I...guess that could allow for it. Is damaging the station going to cause a problem with that?"

"Negative," Clank assured her. "The anomaly is almost completely spent."

"That's a relief," Ratchet groaned out, massaging the kink out of his tail. "Let's get a move on."

As they continued on, they passed by a Grummel-net vendor, where they acquired a new weapon...the Rift Inducer 5000, which was designed to open an interdimensional rift, allowing an extra-dimensional entity - named 'Fred' by the Grummel-net engineers - to devour any hostile entities in the area.

Further on, they encountered a great deal more mechanical enemies, which the Rift Inducer was surprisingly effective at dealing with. Unfortunately, the sheer numbers were forcing the trio to move in a less and less stealthy manner in order to make progress.

"At this rate, Nefarious is sure to know we're infiltrating," Twilight grumbled. "We might as well have had Aphelion ram the station in mech mode."

"Except then we wouldn't be certain if he was even on the station," Ratchet countered.

"Not to mention Qwark is somewhere here, and might have been hit," Clank added.

"Speaking of Qwark..." Twilight murmured, her eyes wide as she caught sight of her BBBFF...and what he was wearing.

PreviousChapters Next