• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,897 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,897

PreviousChapters Next
Time: Answers

With the alarms going off, Twilight and Ratchet knew exactly what options were left. "Looks like we have to blast our way out," Ratchet grumbled.

"Isn't that what we're good at anyway?" Qwark offered.

"While protecting non-combatants?" Twilight countered acidly. "And while avoiding collateral damage?"

"...heh...sorry," Qwark offered lamely.

"Never mind," Ratchet grunted. "Let's just go."

Thankfully, the new weaponry available was good for fighting inside a spaceship, and the enemy robotic foes were still rather weak. Clearing the path forward was tedious, but readily doable.

When they reached the last group of captured Fongoids, there was also an escape shuttle available. "Qwark!" Ratchet barked out. "You fly the shuttle with the Fongoids to safety. We'll open the door!"

"But what about you both?" Qwark asked worriedly.

"We'll get back to Aphelion!" Twilight replied quickly. "But you're the only one who can fly a shuttle this old full of civilians to safety! With you at the wheel, no blaster can hit you."

"...really?" Qwark asked, fear battling with swelling pride.

Ratchet grinned up at him. "Believe it!" he said proudly, giving him a thumbs up.

Once everyone leaving was in the escape shuttle, Ratchet opened the loading bay doors. Once the shuttle was safely away, Ratchet and Twilight made their way back out via the central hub. However, hearing Vorselon giving various orders to the computer, Ratchet knew they wouldn't make it out the normal way. "Aphelion!" Ratchet yelled into the comms. "They've blocked my escape route-"

"All friendlies are confirmed evacuated!" Twilight added.

"Understood!" Aphelion replied. "I'll meet you via the lower deck landing bay. I'll be there in 30 seconds!"

"Gotcha!" Ratchet confirmed.

As they took the elevator down towards the lower deck landing bay, the pair was confronted by Vorselon himself. "Pitiful creature!" he proclaimed. "You've meddled in Dr. Nefarious plans for the last-oomph!"

Interrupting his speech, Aphelion blasted her way into the lower central hub, canopy opening as she literally ran Vorselon over. "Hop in!" she proclaimed. "I've received news from Qwark. I have our next destination."

Ratchet nodded, the pair leaping into the cockpit. "So where we going?" Ratchet asked as Aphelion shot out of the larger ship.

"Torren IV," Aphelion replied. "In the Breegus System. It's where Alister Azimuth can be found. The Lombax Alister Azimuth."

Ratchet fell silent. "So...can you tell me anything about him?"

"I think you'll like what you'll be told more if you hear it from him," Aphelion replied. "But once he gets a good look at you, I'm sure he'll be happy to see you."

"Set course, then," Ratchet directed.

"Setting course for the Vela Sector," Aphelion agreed.


Meanwhile...

With Nefarious repelled, Clank followed Sigmund around within the Great Clock, trying to figure out what it was, why he was there, and how to get back to Twilight. And, for that matter, all the other missing details of his memories.

"Here," Sigmund offered as they progressed, offering an unusual device. "It's a quantum actuator. It'll allow you to use the tech within the Great Clock to split into multiple selves in order to manipulate the various systems."

"A useful upgrade," Clank murmured, taking the device and inserting it into his chest compartment, where it was automatically assimilated into his systems. "Ooh, tingly!"

Following Sigmund's instructions, Clank was able to learn to use the new upgrade - and the Time Pads it was designed to interact with - to make his way past the various security systems. He was eventually led to Mnemonic Station Beta.

"Where is Orvus?" Clank asked, since Sigmund told him that he was going to meet him.

"He's in your head, of course!" Sigmund replied. "Locked away in a secret partition in your memory banks! Dr. Nefarious spent over a year trying to hack in-"

"A year?" Clank gasped out. "I've...I've been missing for a year? It's been that long since Twilight last saw me?"

"Umm...yes?" Sigmund offered. "I suppose so..."

"And the universe is still more or less in one piece?" Clank stroked his chin, then chuckled. "I guess she has learned self control, after all."

"That little pony grew up to be a real spitfire, huh?" Sigmund chuckled nervously.

Clank stared at Sigmund for a time, but eventually nodded. "I assume I'll eventually get the answer of how you know Twilight is a pony?" he asked as he stepped up towards the Mnemonic Chamber.

"O-of course!" Sigmund hastened to assure him. "Now we need to deactivate your neural safeguards and send you into your own subconscious. Hop in!"

Once in the chamber, Clank felt himself sink into his mind.


He found himself in a blank field of white and blue, flowing like water but solid like land. In the distance, metallic constructs could be seen, not quite discernible in detail. As he looked around, an elderly Zoni wearing a crystal topped hat appeared out of the ether. "Hello, XJ-0461!" the Zoni greeted. "And welcome to your subconscious. I am Orvus, and I've been anticipating your return for quite some time."

"I...do not understand," Clank replied. "Have I...been here before?"

The Zoni chuckled, the exact same chuckle Clank always gave. "You didn't think your soul came from a robot factory, did you?" the one calling himself Orvus replied. "I created you!" When Clank fell silent for a time, Orvus continued. "Oh, you must have a lot of questions-"

"I can introduce Twilight to her grandfather?" Clank asked eagerly.

Orvus stared at him. "...she really has claimed you, hasn't she?" he replied softly, and somehow sadly. "I'm afraid I can't answer too many of your questions right now - I'm not the actual Orvus, merely a fragment of a neural imprint here to guide you through this - but I do have a present for you." In a flash of light, a golden staff topped with rotating rings and blue lights appeared, floating down to Clank's hands. "Off we go! We have lots to do!"

Following the image of Orvus, Clank learned to use his new tool, the Chronoscepter, to manipulate time within his surroundings. He could use it to throw Time Bombs, that slowed down time in the range of the explosion until it faded. It could also be used to cause broken objects to repair themselves by swinging the scepter at the object. It could also be used to knock projectiles back at enemy targets that launched them...or just to bash heads in. Clank practiced on mental projections of Gleeman Vox, finding it rather cathartic.

"You've done wonderfully, my son," Orvus stated as he finished. "I know you're going to take good care of this place."

At that, Clank lowered the scepter. "Father...what happened to you?"

"...you aren't ready for that answer yet, XJ-0461," Orvus replied. "And I don't have the actual answer in my program. But...the program's only supposed to be activated in...certain circumstances. ...program terminated."


As Clank returned from within his mind, he stared at Sigmund. "What...what happened to my father?" he asked.

"...sorry, sir," Sigmund replied, opening a sealed capsule to reveal the Chronoscepter. "I'm...not allowed to tell you that yet."

"...I think I know," Clank whispered as he took the scepter. "The geas of being metallic. I have no tear ducts...but I must weep."

PreviousChapters Next