• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,930 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,930

PreviousChapters Next
Nexus: Unusual

Ratchet, Clank, Twilight, and Zephyr made their way carefully through the ruins of Planet Silox and the city that had once been so beautiful. The city was stabilized above a storm below, flashing lightning in the cloudy void showing that a misstep could easily mean death. Not far along, they reached the old grav-train station, which was also in ruins...though the track looked somewhat viable if they could clear it.

A Grummel-net terminal nearby provided two new weapons. The first was a revamped plasma striker that was first available during their journey to reunite with Clank when he was on the Great Clock, giving it - amongst other things - more options for customization. The second was the Netherblades, a weapon based on the old bladed disc throwers that had been modified - apparently by Vendra Prog herself while in preschool - to utilize Nether Energy to slice through anything when launched before bouncing, and could be upgraded to split into multiple blades after each bounce. They also homed in on targets far more accurately than older models did as a result.

"And yet more commonalities," Twilight murmured softly. "I remember when I first started designing weapons..."

"You were preschool age too, actually," Ratchet observed calmly.

"How interesting," Clank observed. "Had Vendra and Neftin arrived on Veldin instead of Meeros when they were pushed into this dimension, the four of you would likely have seen each other as siblings with Twilight being the youngest, instead of her seeing you as her father."

"But then things would have gotten awkward as we reached adulthood," Twilight pointed out. "I mean seriously, Dad's hot."

"Twilight!" Ratchet gasped out, shocked.

"What? Objectively speaking, you are an incredibly attractive male sophont," Twilight explained bluntly. "Well, at least as far as bipeds go. And between that, your natural good nature and caring heart, and your adventuring career...face it Dad, you got so many ladies because you're a total stud."

"I am feeling incredibly awkward right now," Ratchet observed painfully. "I think I want to stop this conversation."

"And that's why it would be awkward," Twilight concluded. "Because obviously Ratchet would have trouble connecting 'little sister' to 'love interest'."

"Anyone normal would," Ratchet grumbled irritably.

"Not according to the galactic net!" Twilight singsonged teasingly.

"I wonder how things would have changed in the galaxies if the Prog twins had grown up on Veldin," Clank mused idly.

"Somehow, I don't think we'll ever know," Ratchet mused thoughtfully.(1)

After a bit of exploration, the group was able to reactivate the grav-train station terminal, though doing so drew the attention of some Nethers. The Netherblades proved impressively effective against Nethers, as the similarity of energies enhanced both the cutting power against the armor and the homing aspect, drawing the blades in even as the Nethers teleported around.

Further along, a laser turret was spotted still active. However, as it could only lock on within a visible red spotlight, it was easy enough to evade. Not long after, a bridge thick with patrols was the next obstacle.

"Allow me to scout ahead," Clank suggested. "I am less likely to be noticed than Zephyr or Twilight."

"Alright," Ratchet agreed. "Just be careful."

Clank took off into the air, then slowly flew over the bridge before returning with a report. "There's a communications relay terminal ahead. I believe it is how the Thugs are maintaining communication with the Prog twins. If we are careful, we should be able to evade the spotlights and use it to triangulate the twins' location."

"Let's do it, then!" Zephyr crowed out, shooting into the air ahead of them. "I'll take out those spotlights-"

"And the Thugs will disable the relay as soon as they hear us coming," Twilight chided. She quickly checked the map. "I think I see an alternative route. Dad, I'll carry you."

Climbing onto Twilight's back, Ratchet held on as they flew around the bridge, staying low to avoid being spotted. "There's a path through the Waterworks," Twilight explained in a barely audible whisper as they glided past some Thugs who were discussing Vendra's intentions, and plainly not liking the possible results. "It should keep us from being noticed too early."

The path into the Waterworks proved to be as clear as could be expected, with only another Nether and some crab-like creatures blocking it, both of which were readily dealt with. After reactivating a pump to drain the chamber, they continued along the path into other areas of the city as they made their way carefully around to where they could reach the relay point without alerting the Thugs.

As they progressed, they received another message from Vendra, this one locked onto their comm frequency and live. "We're almost ready," she purred softly. "Do you think Mr. Eye will be hungry when he gets here?"

"Vendra, don't do this," Ratchet wheedled, trying to appeal to her. "If Mr. Eye cares so much about you and your brother, why did your parents send you here in the first place?"

Vendra was silent for a time. "...any number of possible reasons," she finally allowed. "Not even most of them bad. And none of the sort to convince me to stop, or change my motivations or goals. I will bring home here, since I can go home no longer."

"Couldn't you make a new home?" Twilight offered hopefully. "Where you can be accepted and not hated or feared?"

"It's too late for that," Vendra countered hotly. "Almost a decade too late, Twilight Sparkle." With that, communications were cut.

Twilight sighed sadly. "So close..."

"We'll get through to her," Ratchet promised. "Somehow."



(1) If there's enough interest, I would consider writing a Ratchet and Clank stand alone fic covering this particular what if scenario, to be posted to fanfiction.net. Just letting everyone know.

PreviousChapters Next