• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,940 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,940

PreviousChapters Next
4-gotten: The Gravity of the Situation

After the group leapt up a few platforms together in the altered gravity - Qwark and Nefarious practically taking turns stabilizing Twilight in the process - they reached a much larger platform of metal rather than stone. The flying spherical robot they'd seen just before the gravity went wonky appeared, still emitting strange blue waves.

Twilight quickly scanned it with her magic, then gasped. "That's what's screwing up the gravity!" she proclaimed. "We need to destroy it!"

"Could you shrink it down instead?" Nefarious asked. "Gravity manipulation tech like that could be useful."

"Too big," Twilight replied sadly. "The compression field won't enfold the entire robot."

"What if you put a shield around the gravity generator?" Qwark suggested. "So it doesn't break when we blow the robot up?"

Twilight tapped her chin for a time as the group evaded the rocks the Gravity Minion threw at them. "Hmm...can't maintain a shield for that long...but I think I can invert the gravity waves so that the generators protect themselves. But I'd need to get the oscillation just right, and it seems to be rotating..."

"I can lock onto the oscillation," Nefarious offered. "You've focused spells through technology before. Maybe if you focused it through me?"

"Worth a try," Twilight allowed, stepping behind Nefarious and sending a beam of magic into him as she focused. Nefarious then leveled his arm, altering the frequency of the magical energy as it passed through him, sending it at the enemy bot.

The Gravity Minion froze as its further attempts to throw rocks did nothing. It glanced at its tech to find the problem. "Now!" Nefarious barked out.

Qwark and Alister bombarded the bot with everything they had. With it unable to fight back, it was only a matter of time before it exploded, allowing Twilight to collect the Gravity Generators, stowing them the same way she stowed the rift jump robot. With gravity returning to normal, the metal platform lowered to join with others.

"Now that that's been dealt with, let's go!" Alister insisted, leading the way forward along the new path.


Further progress through the plains proved to be much the same as before. The four would follow the only path available for progress, using a mixture of acrobatics and gadgets, and blowing up any robots in their path. Twilight and Nefarious continued to debate various technical details regarding the application of the tech they were in the process of 'salvaging'. Qwark and Alister would attempt to follow, only to fail miserably. The only relief on that front was the occasional communication from Clank on Aphelion, indicating that at least someone was taking notes.

The first new obstacle they encountered involved an electrical being called a Voltergeist, which could be used to activate powerless devices in much the same way the Lumenoids had been used back on Igliak. While nothing that really caught their eyes, the next point of interest to follow were some hostile Gravoids, purple balloon shaped creatures that would inflate and take apart the floating platforms to attack.

"Gravoids?" Twilight asked, confused. "Those are indigenous to the black rock moons of Abaro! What are they doing here?"

"I imagine much the same thing we are," Alister suggested. "That ship showed up to grab the Z'Grute once it was down, and the robots also tried to grab Twilight. I think it may be designed to collect unique specimens throughout the universe and bring them here for...something."

"Is that why the recording from Dr. Frumpus Coy in that lab talked about being at war with Neevos Collectus?" Qwark asked.

"Precisely," Alister confirmed, surprised Qwark had kept track of those details.

"That's what the gravity bot was doing!" Twilight gasped out. "The black rock moons have a unique gravitational field! They were supposed to simulate their natural environment!"

"The only question then is why," Nefarious deduced. "While everything being done is beginning to make sense as far as the collection of rare and unique specimens - even the 'testing' facilities - it still doesn't explain the end goal. Why do all this? Anyone have any ideas?"

"...making a zoo?" Qwark suggested.

Nefarious glowered at Qwark. "Anyone have any sensible ideas?" he asked again.

"Genetic experiments to create the ultimate biological battle body via gene splicing?" Qwark tried again.

"...any sensible ideas that aren't terrifying?" Twilight whimpered hopefully.

"Maybe we should curb our speculation and keep going," Alister suggested. "Perhaps Susie will have more information once we make it somewhere we can rest safely for a time."

"That sounds like an eminently sensible suggestion!" Twilight stated eagerly, rushing forward.

"Well, you brought him along for some reason," Nefarious sniped teasingly.


The group continued through the plains, moving as quickly as possible. Before long, they encountered a new hostile enemy, a Gravoid that had been cybernetically augmented with parts from what looked like the Gravity Minion from earlier.

"Well...do I get to say I called it this time?" Qwark asked worriedly.

"I sincerely hope not," Twilight whimpered. "I don't want to be experimented on!"

"You won't be on our watch!" Alister insisted firmly as they all drew their weapons.

All four of them concentrated their fire on the Gravoid Brute, dodging the rockets it fired back at them. With their concentrated fire, it wasn't able to put up much of a fight, and soon fell apart in a fiery explosion. As it did, Susie's balloon pulled into view.

"Through solar winds or supernovas," she called out from the basket, "a galactic scout will-" Her voice paused as she caught sight of them. "Hey! You made it! Come on, my village is just ahead!"

Twilight let out a sigh of relief, eager for somewhere to lay down and rest. The group followed readily.

PreviousChapters Next