• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,930 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,930

PreviousChapters Next
4-gotten: A New World

"Well, as long as we have to wait for pickup," Twilight grumbled as she stepped up to the comm rig, "we might as well keep moving. I certainly don't want to get snatched up by that facility again for termination or probing. Let's see what new weapons are available...ooh, Arc Lashers! Those sound fun!"

"How are you able to afford throwing so much money around like this?" Alister demanded as they were each handed an Arc Lasher. "I mean, I got the impression you're rich, but-"

"Just about every weapon or gadget to come out of Gadgetron or Grummel-net in the past decade and a half has my name somewhere in the production," Twilight replied. "Whether in concept, finishing, or if it was just my own design start to finish. And it wasn't until a couple years after I started inventing for Gadgetron that I actually spent any appreciable amount. Between that, all the money I made with Daddy in saving the galaxy over and over again and...all the prize money I won in Dreadzone..." She shook her head to dispel those last thoughts. "Well, interest adds up. That and when it came time to renegotiate my contract with Mr. Fixit...well, he's retired and I'm CEO of Gadgetron now. And since Grummel-net's part of Gadgetron..." Her voice trailed off as she noticed Alister and Nefarious staring at her. "...what?"

"Sorry," Alister replied. "I just found out my great-niece is one of the richest sophonts in the known universe. That's going to take some getting used to."

"You're making it really hard not to kidnap you," Nefarious added. "As a villain, you're making yourself out to be an ideal target for me. Brilliant, wealthy, well connected?"

"I'd like to see you try," Twilight teased back jokingly. She then tapped her hoof against her chin. "...actually, in all seriousness, I think I would, if only to see what you came up with to pull it off and neutralize the various resources I have to turn against you. You're pretty creative, after all."

"I'll be sure to come up with a plan to meet your expectations!" Nefarious promised, grinning wickedly as he rubbed his metal hands together.

"And I'll be sure to rescue you if he succeeds!" Qwark proclaimed happily.

Giggling, Twilight turned to lead the way over the floating, broken stone islands, her wings easily enabling her to fly from one to the other safely. Nefarious, Alister, and Qwark quickly followed, using their Vac-U's to grab bolts and critters as they went.

Not far along, Susie approached them on a one-person technological zeppelin. "I wouldn't stay here if I were you all!" she called out. "The gravity machines are pulling the plains apart!"

"Which way should we go?" Qwark called back.

"Follow me!" Susie responded. "I'll lead you out of here!"

The zeppelin tacked away, and the group followed, smashing their way through the robots that popped up to block their path. Twilight sighed sadly as they moved. "The terrain's...not much to look at, is it?" she mused. "I mean, the view is breathtaking, but...where's the landmarks?"

"Looks like they've been torn apart," Alister murmured sorrowfully.

"That's what happens when villains don't care about the worlds they land on," Nefarious replied quietly. "I've never really understood the logic. Sure, build up the fortification and enslave the populace if you must, but what's the point in tearing apart good environments? They're half pleasant views out the office windows, half fortifications!"

"Ooh, look! Swinglaunchers!" Qwark called out, pointing to the object he'd noticed, latching onto one with his swingshot to propel himself high in the air. "Yahoo!"

Twilight rolled her eyes as the trio followed. "At least one of us isn't feeling down about this." She paused as she noticed another strange teleporter nearby. "What's this?" she inquired, leading the others onto it.

As they stepped on, the teleporter scanned them. "12 Critters detected stored in Vac-U's. Clearance granted."

"Wait, what?" Nefarious gasped out as they vanished in a flash of light.


The group appeared in a barren seeming lab, the Critters from their Vac-U's now in a glass passage inside the bare wall, plainly visible. "Welcome explorers!" a friendly voice greeted from all around. "I am Dr. Frumpus Croy, and you've discovered my secret weapons laboratory, ground zero for the power port war against Nevos Collectus. Volunteers who complete my rigorous usability tests will be rewarded with bolts, and access to my secret project code named...Last Resort. Prove yourself by guiding the critters through the tube maze in the wall safely to the opposite side. When you are ready to begin, activate the Power Plunger to release them into the maze."

"Well, this is different," Alister murmured. "...who's Nevos Collectus?"

"Given the design of the ship we were on and the sound of the name, I'd say the one responsible for snatching us," Nefarious replied. "Even if it isn't, this place is fully automated. Finish the tests and we get the tech, and we can use it to do whatever we want."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Qwark called out, turning his Vac-U on the Power Plunger.

As the Critters made their way into the tubes, platforms rose in a bridge to allow the group to progress. They raced forward, staying just ahead of the Critters so they could make it to the next Power Plungers, shifting tube segments into the proper place to let the Critters continue rather than race out into the white void below.

With the Critter safely transported to the opposite end, a holodisplay revealed the nature of the weapon they were unlocking, from the looks of things a high-powered mech-suit.

Nefarious stared at the hologram as Twilight squealed happily. "Well," he murmured, "I hope someone picked up that phone."

"Phone?" Qwark asked, confused.

"Because I f*cking called it!" Nefarious screamed out.

Alister stared at him for a time. "How under the stars did you manage to pronounce that asterisk?" he asked as they were warped out of the hidden lab.

PreviousChapters Next