• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,930 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,930

PreviousChapters Next
Nexus: Justice

Vendra and Neftin stood within the Court of Azimuth on Fastoon, where President of the Universe Qwark decreed their trial would be overseen to take into account everything that had come of their lives, crimes, and good deeds. Both knew their fates were about to be decided, and could only hope that things would go well.

When they'd arrived on the planet, they had been told to wait in the court as the judge - who they had not yet seen - heard all the facts as presented by Arbiter and Advocate. When all facts had been presented, the judge would meet with them and hear their last pleas, and then weigh his judgement, which would be final and irrevocable. What had shocked both had been the identities of these figures.

The Arbiter, the one called on to present the harm that had been caused, was Orvus Zoni the Timekeeper. The Advocate, the one called on to present the justification for their actions and their defense, was Dr. Nefarious. Needless to say, Vendra and Neftin were more than a little overwhelmed by the sort of figures Twilight could apparently call in on a moment's notice.

Just as both had finally begun to calm down and shift uncomfortably, the innermost chamber door opened. Orvus and Nefarious each exited, followed by a Lombax they recognized only by reputation. Orvus introduced him. "General Alister Azimuth, Four-Bolt Magistrate of the Lombax Praetorian Guard, Elder Councilman for the Center for Advanced Lombax Research, Honorable Supreme Justice of the War Court...will now hear the final pleas."

Alister swept up onto the podium before the Prog twins, cameras broadcasting the proceedings to the entire galaxy. "Neftin Prog, many charges are pending against you, enough that you may find yourself facing - in total - a life sentence in maximum security. Do you have anything to say in your own defense?"

"No," Neftin responded simply. "I did no more and no less than what I needed to do to protect my sister. Even knowing what I do now, I would have done no different. My sister and I had to look out for each other, when there was no one else who would help us."

Alister nodded. "Your words have been noted," he stated simply. He then turned. "Vendra Prog, both your crimes and your situation have been noted by this court, and deliberation has concluded. Before judgement is served, have you anything to say for yourself?"

Vendra lowered her eyes. "I...I just wanted us to go home..."

Alister crossed his arms as he gazed down at them. "Vendra Prog, this court has come to the conclusion that your criminal actions were not truly of your own volition. You were held under the sway of the entity known by this court as Mr. Eye, who manipulated your development from a young age to turn you into his tool to try and conquer our dimension. However, despite this you did not cause needless suffering as you acted to make his goals - those you perceived as your own - happen. Despite all the harm brought to you by those you knew, you chose to drive people out of the Sector for your experiments rather than kill them, expending more effort in the process. You also gave them enough time to take a good deal of their belongings with them. While they were displaced, they were able to rebuild their lives elsewhere with little difficulty. From all this, the court has come to the conclusion that despite Mr. Eye's manipulations and your own belief to be 'evil', you are not an inherent threat to the safety of the galaxy, and your own actions in assisting with both the destruction of Mr. Eye and the banishing of the Nethers back to their own dimension speak in your favor.

"It is thus the decision of this court that you are to be hereby cleared of all charges."

Vendra stared in disbelief, but Neftin sagged in relief. Plainly, all he was concerned with was her well being. "I..." Vendra began.

"However, the damage done to you did not simply cease to exist just because you were able to defy and destroy the one who so manipulated you," Alister continued. "As such, you are to undergo court mandated psychiatric evaluation and treatment, until such time as the damage has been repaired and you are able to live your life beyond it. It will be up to your counselor and your parole officer to determine when you have completed this recovery, and until then you will reside with your parole officer, who will be legally responsible for your behavior until your treatment is complete."

Vendra frowned, crossing her arms. "Great, just great. So who am I going to be stuck taking orders from for who knows how long?"

Alister smiled softly. "Ratchet Gyro has volunteered to act as your parole officer. If this is not acceptable, another can be found-"

"No, that's fine," Vendra stated quickly, lowering her gaze.

Alister then turned to Neftin. "By the view of this court, your loyalty to your sister is unquestioned and unshakable, and you thus prove no threat to the galaxy so long as she is under control. However, your decisions were entirely your own throughout your criminal activities...so while this court will show leniency, you will still be sentenced. It is the decision of this court that you are to serve no less than 4 hours of community service per day until such time as Vendra's recovery is judged complete, to total no less than 2000 hours of service. In the meantime, as the bond between the two of you is central to your emotional well being, you are also to reside with her."

Neftin nodded. "I understand."

"Judgement is done," Alister stated finally.

PreviousChapters Next