• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,918 Views, 10,574 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,574
 28,918

PreviousChapters Next
Arsenal: Phoenix, the Plan

As the trio returned to the Phoenix, they were guided to the bridge, where Captain Qwark paced back and forth before his assembled crew. As Ratchet, Clank, and Twilight entered the bridge, he turned towards them. "You're late," he pointed out jokingly.

Ratchet rolled his eyes. "We had to stop so Twilight and Clank could sign autographs," he joked.

"You shouldn't be taking time away from saving the galaxy to do that," Qwark scolded. "Do you want to end up like I was?"

Ratchet's jaw opened and closed like a landed fish. He did not know how to handle self-aware and self-critical Qwark. Though Twilight's giggle was worth the embarrassment.

"Fall in, troops," Qwark ordered. Ratchet, Clank, and Twilight took their place in the lineup between Sasha and the monkey. Qwark then turned to the assembled group. "Ladies and Gentlemen!" he began. "Oh, and Helga," he added when he noticed her glare. "Welcome...to the Q Force."

While Ratchet was unsurprised that Qwark had named the team after himself, he was rather surprised at the total lack of aplomb and self-aggrandizement he said it with. It was almost as if Qwark was taking the matter seriously.

"You have been assembled here because each of you is an expert in your particular fields," Qwark explained. "From Al's mastery of Electronics, to Skid's nerves of steel, to Helga's sensual powers of seduction!" He added a little playful growl at that.

Twilight glanced over, surprised to see so many familiar faces gathered.

"And we can't forget Ratchet's own prior heroic experience in two galaxies," Qwark continued. "And then there's Clank's own unique technical advantages...and my vocabulary isn't big enough to do Twilight's talents justice."

Twilight blushed and hid behind Ratchet as everyone turned to look at her with a smile.

"Each of you has shown that you are worthy - or more than worthy - to wear the Q!" he proclaimed. "Years ago, I did battle against Dr. Nefarious and emerged victorious. But like a rash on the galaxy's back side, he has flared up again."

"I wish he wouldn't use such colorful metaphors in front of Twilight," Ratchet whispered to Clank.

"There are far worse ones he could have used," Clank whispered back as Twilight blushed.

"Our first mission," Qwark continued, choosing to ignore the commentary, "will be to infiltrate the Doctor's top secret base on Planet Aquatos!" Qwark paused. "You have a question, Twilight?"

Twilight lowered her raised hoof. "If it's top secret, how do we know it's there?"

"I follow Nefarious' Hexafeed," Qwark replied. "It's an excellent way to keep track of his activities."

"Hexafeed?" Twilight asked.

"It's like Twitter, but specifically for robots," Clank replied. "But how were you able to become a member, Captain?"

"I am very good at pretending to be a sub-optimal imitation of life," Qwark replied. "At least online. I get treated as obsolete, but I get a few tidbits of useful information on occassion."

"Impressive," Clank replied.

Ratchet had to admit - privately, anyway - that Qwark appeared to have more skill than he'd previously given him credit for. He now found himself actively curious as to what Qwark's assault plan on Aquatos was.

Or he had been, until he saw Qwark haul out the poorly sketched crayon drawings.

"Here is the assault plan," he explained. "First, Ratchet and Clank will descend to the sea floor and wade through a series of tunnels flooded with waist high raw sewage."

"What?" Ratchet demanded in shock.

"Please hold questions until the end of the presentation," Qwark insisted. "After infiltrating the base, our agents will split up. Clank will enter the ventilation system, where he will rendezvous with Twilight Sparkle. Given that she has not yet learned to swim and doesn't do well with water environments, it will be up to agent Skid to make a separate entrance to deliver the pressurized capsule that will deliver her safely to the sea without entering the water. Meanwhile, Ratchet will use the Tyhrra-Guise to infiltrate the base and make his way to Nefarious office. Should he prove successful in making it that far, Skid will meet him on the way to provide him with the Hacker. Should Ratchet meet with any other sort of difficulties, Skid will render whatever aid possible before withdrawing."

"Clank and Twilight will meet him there, having acquired whatever data they can retrieve discreetly from Nefarious computer systems. Ratchet will see to it that Clank and Twilight can exfiltrate the base completely undetected!"

Qwark smiled as the presentation ended. "Any questions?" he asked magnanimously.

"How come you aren't doing anything in this plan?" Ratchet demanded.

"Because Nefarious has a personal grudge against me," Qwark replied. "As long as Nefarious doesn't get word that I'm involved, he'll continue to take his time with his plans, as he is very methodical most of the time. However, once he learns I am involved, he will begin a full scale assault in an attempt to settle his score with me. The longer we can delay that, the more time we have to prepare for the battle against him, and the more information we can gather to prepare." He smiled. "That's why I've asked President Phyronix to let no one outside the Phoenix even know I'm involved in the anti-Nefarious efforts, or that I am even in this galaxy."

"That is a valid point," Clank agreed. Twilight nodded as well, smiling. Nearly everyone else was slackjawed.

Qwark grinned widely. "Very well. If there are no more questions, we shall begin!"

"But...but this plan is crazy!" Ratchet finally blurted.

"But it just might work," Qwark countered. "We're counting on you, Ratchet. I know you won't let us down."

Ratchet sighed. What could he say to that?

PreviousChapters Next