• Published 7th Jul 2014
  • 8,049 Views, 117 Comments

Traitor - alarajrogers



The story of "Twilight's Kingdom" from Discord's point of view.

  • ...
6
 117
 8,049

Aftermath

He had seen where Tirek had thrown the princesses, but they weren't there. Tirek himself was, being dragged away to a cage, screaming curses in his weak, elderly voice. Despite everything, Discord felt bad for him -- he knew what it was like to be imprisoned indefinitely, he knew what it was like to be returned to that prison after tasting freedom. Tirek deserved it but chaos had never been overly concerned with justice; as angry as he was with Tirek for betraying him and threatening his life, as much as he'd like to torment Tirek personally, the torment of eternal imprisonment was one that hit too close to home for Discord to ever feel good about any other creature being doomed to it.

But he wasn't there to torment Tirek. He teleported over to Cerberus, patting one of the giant dog's shaggy heads. "Kerby, old boy! Been a long time since I've seen you!" Cerberus licked Discord's paw. "Now, now, what did I tell you? That's ticklish! Don't do that. Can you show me to where Celly and Luna ended up? I'm here to get them out!"

"You're a little late," Celestia's voice said, behind him.

Discord whipped around. The three princesses stood behind him, powerful, free and unhurt... and most decidedly not in need of him to rescue them. "Oh. Well, I came as soon as I got my magic back!"

Luna's eyes narrowed. "Are you trying to claim your ally there took your magic as well? After you laughed your foolish head to bits when my sister suggested he could do such a thing?"

"Um... I wouldn't have phrased it quite that way..."

"Because what I see is a creature whose ally was defeated, running to curry favor and pretend he had changed sides, again. Traitor, why would you come to rescue us when you let Tirek banish us to Tartarus in the first place?!" Her voice did not quite reach Royal Canterlot decibels, but all Tartarus echoed with her anger.

Discord's cheer at getting his powers back deflated. In a sense she was right. Maybe Twilight had called him a friend, maybe he'd given her the key that had allowed the six to defeat Tirek and restore Equestria's magic, but it didn't change the fact that he'd betrayed them all in the first place. "Look, I don't expect you to believe me, but you can ask Twilight. I helped them to defeat Tirek. I -- you're not wrong, I let Tirek banish you to Tartarus in the first place, that... I know that was a terrible thing to do, and I don't expect..." Neither Luna's expression of rage nor Celestia's expressionless mask had changed even slightly. And Cadance was doing a great job of mimicking her aunt; after an initial expression of surprise and anger, now she was doing the expressionless thing too. Discord slumped. "I came here to free you as soon as I got my power back because I knew it was wrong to let him send you to Tartarus, even when he did it," he said. "I was always going to come back and get you, after we'd won... I didn't expect Tirek to be able to take my magic. But it happened, and I told myself if I survived it, if the girls managed to beat Tirek and restore the magic, I would come get you, because I'm the only one besides Tirek who knows you're here."

"A likely story," Luna scoffed. "Sister, you cannot believe this snake, can you?"

"Why did you turn on us, Discord?" Celestia asked, sounding for all the world as if she was asking him whether he preferred lemon in his tea.

Her calm undid him. He knew how to handle Celestia's anger, Celestia's grief. It was when she went blank and emotionless that she drove him mad. Under most circumstances he'd taunt her until that blank shell cracked, but he couldn't do that now. He desperately wanted to know what she felt toward him -- was she enraged? Was she pushed beyond rage, to the point where she'd coldly execute him? Was she griefstricken? Was she prepared to forgive him? She was giving him no hints at all as to what it was.

"I-- I know it was wrong..."

"I did not ask if you knew it was wrong. I asked why you did it," Celestia said, still in an utterly calm and reasonable voice.

"I... wanted freedom," he mumbled. "I wanted... chaos... and I didn't want to be alone... I thought I wouldn't be alone, but he... I'm sorry, Celestia, I'm so sorry..." He crumpled under the weight of his emotions, literally, falling to his knees on the hard volcanic rock of Tartarus. Sweat matted his fur, not entirely from the heat. "I wanted to prove myself and instead I screwed everything up, I was so stupid... I'm sorry, I... look, if you want to just leave me here, because of what I've done, go ahead. I deserve it. I know that."

"That hardly seems like it would be effective," Celestia said. "Since you teleported here on your own power, and since Cerberus is friendly to you." As if to illustrate the point, one of the three giant doggy heads started licking the top of Discord's head, as if Cerberus sensed his distress and, without any better understanding of the reasons for it than any dog could have, was trying to comfort him. Not that hellhound slobber was all that comforting, but it was the thought that counted.

"You're a good boy, Cerberus," Discord said shakily, getting up enough that he could give the licking head a hug and a rough noogie. "Good boy." All three heads panted as Cerberus' tail wagged happily.

"Yes, Cerberus is a good boy," Luna said, reaching a hoof to pet one of her dog's other heads. "He took good care of us while he was here. Did you not, boy? Yes, you did!" The head Luna was petting licked her as well.

"We ought to talk to Twilight," Cadance said. "She can confirm Discord's story or not, don't you think?"

"Yes. Tartarus is hardly the place to be having this discussion." Celestia's expression cracked very very slightly, shifting from pure expressionlessness to cold, making Discord want to shiver despite the heat of Tartarus. "Discord. If you truly feel remorse, if you feel you deserve punishment, accompany us, and do not leave until I have had the opportunity to talk to the Bearers, and make a judgement. But expect no leniency at all if you leave us before I have told you my decision."

He swallowed. "That's... that's fair."

Possibly because they didn't want to risk that he would simply fail to teleport with them and then claim it wasn't his fault, they flew out of Tartarus instead of teleporting. It was tedious, but a big improvement over having to walk, he supposed.

As they gained altitude over the Everfree Forest, Discord was able to see that the sky was full of strange rainbow lights, like an aurora. He felt the flow of magic in the world rebalancing itself, falling back into the configuration it belonged in. "Every pony has their magic back now," he said. "I -- I thought you'd like to know."

"I do," Celestia said. "Thank you."

And then the ground below them exploded, right where the Tree of Harmony would be, some distance to the north within the Forest. What was quite obviously the box shot up on a rainbow arc and slammed into the ground in Ponyville. A truly atrocious sparkling purple monstrosity that looked like it belonged in Canterlot grew out of the ground. The three alicorns and Discord hesitated up in the air, staring at the thing.

"What in the name of the sun and the moon is that?" Celestia asked.

"Well, while I'm hardly an expert on matters of Harmony... I think the Tree just built a castle," Discord said. "Probably for Twilight, given that she's the local princess, and all."

"But... how?"

"Oh!" Cadance said. "You know, there's an ancient legend that the Crystal Heart actually built the Crystal Palace, to be the Palace of Love! I always thought it was a story, but... maybe it's true."

"Is there truly a connection between the Crystal Heart and the Tree of Harmony?" Luna asked.

"Oh, trust me, Luna, they are very closely related," Discord said. "I would know."

"Perhaps then the Tree is creating a Palace of Friendship," Celestia said. "Since Friendship is Twilight's domain, as Love is yours, Cadance."

"Did the tree build your palace, Celestia? Because this thing looks just as ridiculous as yours, only it's purple instead of white."

Celestia turned with a deceptively mild look. "Discord, do you really think now is an appropriate time for insults?"

He sighed. "No... sorry."

"There is Spike," Luna said, pointing a hoof below. "He can tell us what we need to know about the events we missed, most likely."

"Oh yes, Spike was there for all of it," Discord said, but inside his heart was sinking. Spike was a lot less likely to be sympathetic to him than Twilight.

The four of them landed. Spike came running up to them. "Princess Celestia! Princess Luna! Princess Cadance!"

"Hello, Spike." The contrast between the warmth in her voice as she addressed Spike and the utter lack of any emotion when she spoke to Discord was painful. "Since we were unfortunately unable to see most of the recent events, perhaps you can help us. Discord claims that Tirek took his magic and that he helped you to defeat Tirek afterward. Is that true?"

"Um, yeah, actually, it is," Spike said. "First he betrayed all of us and put us in a cage--"

"I was afraid that if Tirek and Twilight fought, Twilight might be killed, or Ponyville destroyed. I came up with the plan to take you hostage so that Twilight would just surrender without a fight," Discord said. "That way no one would get hurt. But it turned out Tirek wanted a fight."

Spike glared at him. "I think the Princess asked me, not you."

"Yes, but you don't know my motives."

"Don't care either, if you hadn't sold us out to Tirek in the first place we wouldn't have been in that position." Spike sighed. "So anyway, Tirek took his magic. Then he made some kind of bet with Tirek so Tirek would let us go if Twilight was winning and he had to use us as hostages, but he'd kill all of us if he beat Twilight."

"I tried to bet my own life," Discord said. "But I made the mistake of telling Tirek that my magic would rebuild itself in the presence of Chaos, when we were allies, so he believed he had to kill me. Our wager had to be about the lives of the others because that was the only way I could get him to agree not to kill them all right then."

"You told us Tirek was going to put you in a dungeon!"

"I lied. I didn't want to upset Fluttershy. Tirek was going to kill me either way."

Spike stared at him. "But when Fluttershy told you you should escape... you wouldn't do it. If you were going to die then why..."

Discord sighed. "I never wanted ponies to die, not during any of this," he said. "But most especially I couldn't bear it if Fluttershy died. Even after I betrayed her, I wanted to keep her safe... Tirek wanted her magic, but I thought I could at least protect her life. When... when he took my magic, and I realized I couldn't protect her, or any of you... I'm afraid I got a little bit single minded."

"So he did help to defeat Tirek?" Luna asked skeptically.

"Yeah, actually, he gave Twilight the last key. A gift from a friend who learned a lesson, to unlock the box. So they all turned into all weird rainbow colors and they fought Tirek and beat him. And I guess if Discord hadn't given Twilight an amulet, it wouldn't have happened."

"Did you mention the part where I was the one who made the six of them aware about the role of the keys in the first place, before I went off and stupidly listened to Tirek instead of dragging him off to Tartarus right away?"

"I think the princesses probably know about that already," Spike said. "'Cause I sent them a report about it after they summoned Twilight."

"And what lesson did you learn?" Celestia asked, still mildly.

"I..." He hung his head miserably. "I was wrong from the beginning. I thought, I have only one friend, and none of the others can stand me, and Tirek's offering to be my ally and let me have my freedom, so do I keep my good friend and lose chaos and I still only have one so I'm not getting much, and I'm playing errand boy and ponies hate and fear me when I don't want them to, or do I take a friend who's not nearly as good but I get chaos, and ponies will hate and fear me for good reasons? But I was wrong. I tested Twilight to see if she was really my friend, and she passed, and I still didn't believe her because she was never nice like Fluttershy, but I knew Twilight would do anything for her friends... I didn't realize she considered me one. Really. She told Tirek -- he'd released the others, and he was going to kill me but she didn't know that, she didn't know I'd been helping to try to pry the bars of the cage apart, she didn't even know how sorry I was -- but she told Tirek to let me go, because she'd bargained her magic for the freedom of her friends, and I was one of her friends. So it was never an even trade. I had at least two real friends and I didn't even know."

"But nothing about not betraying your friends?"

He rolled his eyes. "Celestia, I'm not stupid. I knew that was wrong when I did it. I just..." He sat down heavily. "I wanted freedom, but I didn't want to be alone. I thought Tirek was offering a way out of that. I was stupid, and I'm so sorry."

"You weren't merely stupid, Discord. Your betrayal was an evil act."

He looked down at the grass below his coils, not at Celestia's face. "The girls' Rainbow Power thingy could probably turn me back to stone," he said dully. "Maybe right now they'd even do it. I know Fluttershy promised me, but... she cried, Celestia. She cried because I betrayed her. If she doesn't want to keep her promise I'd understand."

"Um... I think he was sincere about the whole being sorry thing, though," Spike said. "Because before all this started, he put me in a soap bubble and made me float and if Rainbow hadn't been there to catch me--"

"I knew she was there, Spike, did you seriously think I meant you harm?"

"Maybe," Spike said. "But the point is, when the girls were all powered up and were gonna go fight Tirek... Discord carried me up to the top of the canyon that the Tree's in so I could see. He didn't have to do that. I could have climbed it myself, but I wouldn't have gotten to the top fast enough to see anything. So... uh, I mean, of course it's up to you, Princesses, but... Discord's never done anything that was just nice for no reason for anyone but Fluttershy before..."

"Why did you help Spike?" Celestia asked, still in the same neutral tone.

Discord looked down again. "I don't really know," he said. "It -- we were working together to try to open the cage... the one I put him and the Bearers in, and... it just seemed... natural. After we'd been trying to achieve the same goal, together."

"I think you may finally be starting to grasp the point to Harmony," Celestia said.

Discord looked up at her, shocked. Her expression was now a wan smile. "I regret that you are so stubborn, it takes something like this to begin to teach you. I never intended any of this either... I sent you because you could detect Tirek and I didn't think he could take your magic either. And I never thought you would betray us. But I see now... I placed too heavy a burden on you. I should have sent you with Twilight, regardless of your objections. I should have recognized that Tirek could find your weakness and play on it to destroy your resolve, and that you should have been accompanied by a friend. You told me, in so many words, that the lack of chaos in your life was causing you mental harm, and I put it down to your usual dramatics." She closed her eyes. "I asked too much of you, too soon. When Fluttershy befriended you... I was hoping to get the Discord of our youth back. I should have realized that two thousand years of you being lost to your chaos can't be undone within a year, and possibly never at all, but my hopes blinded me to the reality."

"Sister... don't you realize that was never a realistic hope to begin with?" Luna said. "He's not..."

"I had no realistic hope of getting you back, Luna," Celestia said. "I do not function on realistic hopes all the time, I'm afraid."

Cadance put a hoof on the back of Discord's head, gently. "If it helps with your decision, Auntie... I can sense love within him. His feelings are too --well, you know-- for me to be able to tell the kind of love precisely, or who it's for, but whether it's the love of friends or family or feelings for a special pony, love is love, and right now, it's strong. Perhaps that will change in time; chaos isn't known for constancy. But right now, he loves, and his regret is genuine."

"Someday I'm going to figure out how you keep doing that and work out how to stop you," Discord said, sighing. He looked up at her. "Why are you vouching for me? I stood there when Tirek ate your husband's magic, I stood there when he threw you in Tartarus. I didn't do anything to help you."

"You weren't the only one your punishment harmed," Cadance said. "I destroyed King Sombra, with Spike's help, and my husband, and our friends. I blasted Chrysalis, and if I didn't kill her, it wasn't because I was trying to show mercy. If you were remorseless, if I believed you were irredeemable, I'd find a way to destroy you before you could cause any more harm to the ponies I care about. But you have a heart, and you follow it. I think you only need to learn to listen to it more carefully, rather than to what chaos wants of you. And harming you will also cause harm to ponies I care about. So I'd rather see you redeemed than punished."

"It is time to meet with the Bearers," Celestia said. "Discord, stay with us, you have not been released."

He got up onto four feet, and saw the girls up ahead, in front of the castle, without their bizarre extra colors any longer. Spike and the three Princesses walked over to where the six mares were standing stupefied, looking up at the purple monstrosity. Discord followed behind them on four legs. He had his powers back, he had no reason why he couldn't stand up all the way, but the shame he felt dragged at him, making him feel strangely weary.

As they approached, he heard Twilight's voice, asking, "But... whose is it?"

"I believe it is yours, Princess Twilight," Celestia said warmly.

Suddenly Discord felt a rush of a strange happiness, bizarre in contrast to the weary regret that had been dragging him down. Twilight and the rest of them were all right. They had their powers back, but they hadn't been permanently transformed into entities barely recognizable as themselves. Everything was working out, despite what he'd done. He popped up to two legs and waved at the girls.

"Let's go inside," Luna said. "I was not there when Canterlot Palace was built, so this will be my first opportunity to see a newly built castle. I am very curious to see what's inside."

"Me too!" Pinkie said. "Because what kind of a castle would it be if it didn't have a kitchen? Do you think maybe the Tree made us a cake or something?"

Everyone laughed, and the group walked into the castle. Discord hesitated.

His powers were back, and the castle was a source of concentrated harmonics. It wasn't as bad as being near the Tree; he wasn't turning numb. But he could feel it interfering with his power. If he went in there, he wouldn't be powerless, but he would be weakened enough that Celestia and Luna could do anything they wanted to him, and there would be very little he could do to stop them.

He sighed, and followed the group. If he was going to be punished, maybe it would be better to get it over with quickly... and if he went in the palace and let his powers be choked down to a small trickle, if he made himself vulnerable to Celestia and Luna, then they wouldn't ask Fluttershy to break her promise, and he wouldn't have to learn if she would do so now or not. They'd be able to do whatever they were going to do to him directly, without involving Fluttershy. Or Twilight. Also, Celestia had told him to stay with the group if he hoped for any leniency at all, and he didn't think they'd accept "but the harmonics make my head hurt and interfere with my powers" as an excuse for him to stay outside.

"You've been wondering what you are meant to do as a princess," Celestia was saying. She and Twilight were in the lead, with the other princesses behind them, and the mares and Spike behind them. "Do you know now?"

"As princess, I believe I have the power to spread the magic of friendship across Equestria," Twilight pronounced. "That is the role I am meant to have in our world. The role I choose to have!" She certainly had the grandiose pronouncements part of being a princess down, Discord noted. There was a flash of light, and suddenly Twilight was behind the other princesses, directly within the group of her friends. "But I didn't defeat Tirek on my own – it took all of us to unlock the chest!" The others gathered around her in a spontaneous group hug.

"Then it is unlikely you are meant to take on this task alone," Celestia said, and used her magic to open a gigantic set of doors in front of her.

It was a throne room, with seven thrones, six of them marked with the Bearers' cutie marks and surrounding a round table with an inlaid six-pointed star similar to Twilight's cutie mark. The seventh throne was small and unmarked, and sat beside Twilight's. The girls oohed and aahed, and most of them, as well as Spike, promptly planted themselves in their new seats. "You are now Twilight Sparkle, the princess of friendship," Celestia said. "But what is the princess of friendship without her friends?"

The five mares and Spike quit testing their seats and surrounded Twilight. Another group hug coming, bleah, how droll. And yet he didn't feel bored, or overwhelmed with sap, or impatient, the way he would normally feel at watching soppy displays of affection and friendship.

He felt... left out.

He felt lonely.

His head drooped. He had no reason to feel sad, he told himself. It wasn't like the group had ever gone out of its way to include him, whyever would that change now after he'd betrayed them? It couldn't matter to them that his feelings were so raw, that for the first time since this friendship nonsense had started he felt an overwhelming desire to be with them, to protect them, to be liked by them... something he'd felt occasionally with Fluttershy, something he remembered years and years ago with Celestia and Luna, something that he'd spent most of his life never feeling at all. The desire to belong. The actual feeling of caring about others, not as an abstract but as something visceral, overwhelming him. They didn't know. They had no reason to believe he was any different than he'd always been.

None of them -- not the Bearers and Spike, not the group of princesses -- were looking at him. He could slink away, go pretend he was exploring the palace while they were having their friendship moment. Or pretend to have been bored to sleep and sprawl out here in the hallway to take a nap, or feign it anyway.

He started to turn away -- and to his great startlement, found magic gripping and lifting him. For a moment of panic he thought to snap away, but his powers were suppressed here, too weak for teleportation... and Twilight was smiling at him. It wasn't a malicious smile or a giddy smile or a crafty smile, just a happy smile. This didn't look like a prank or an attack.

She lowered him into the group, and he was overwhelmed. She had known how he was feeling. And, more importantly, she'd cared. Swiftly he stretched his arms out -- he had enough magic for that -- so he could encompass all six of the ponies, and hugged them. And against all reason, they smiled at him.

The moment passed, the flood of happiness and tenderness receding enough to let him realize he was on the verge of tears, and he was behaving in a ludicrously sappy way, and he couldn't allow this. All well and good to have friendship, to truly feel it, but he was still Discord. He looked around him and feigned sudden outrage. "Wait a minute, where's my throne?!"

He regretted it the moment he said it. It was supposed to be funny, but after all that had happened today, for a split second he was afraid that they were going to take him seriously. He should have picked some other joke to make.

But Fluttershy flew up to him, smiling broadly, obviously aware it was a joke, and delivered the world's cutest smackdown. "I don't think you're quite there yet," she said, teasingly.

Discord chuckled, slightly embarrassed. It wasn't often that he ever felt a joke to be inappropriate for the moment, but it was embarrassing on the rare occasions when it happened. "Yes, well, I suppose not," he said, covering for himself with a grin.


As Pinkie made arrangements for what she was declaring to be "the most stupenderrific welcome-to-Twilight's-new-castle party Ponyville has ever SEEN", and drafted the others, including the mare of the hour, to help her with the preparations, Celestia called Discord aside, into a private chamber she had found. "I've talked with the Bearers, and you know that I have also consulted Spike, Cadance and Luna."

His heart pounded. At least Luna wasn't here. If she was, he'd be fairly certain this was about to go very badly for him. Of course, the fact that she wasn't here didn't mean things were about to go well. "If you're going to turn me to stone or something, at least let me go to Pinkie's party. Please. She's asked me to help out..." He was trying to manage a light, humorous tone, but he wasn't so sure it was working.

"Nopony is going to turn you to stone," Celestia said. "Today."

"So in other words, make my spa appointment today so I'll look good for my petrification tomorrow?" he said dryly.

"No. In other words, you are getting one more chance. One. The Bearers agree that they believe you have sincerely learned a lesson, and since Spike and Cadance also concur, I am placing you on official probation. You are not to leave Ponyville unless you're accompanied by one of the Bearers, or a princess."

Discord blinked. "You do know I don't live in Ponyville, right?"

"You do now," Celestia said. "Pocket dimensions of chaos are not Ponyville; therefore, you're not to live there. You are to live among ponies, the same ponies you've harmed, and learn to get along with them."

He sighed. Well, this was basically a slap on the wrist, very much less than he deserved, so he should probably be happy about it, but he didn't actually have anywhere to live in Ponyville... he didn't even want to ask Fluttershy if he could crash at her place, not after today, and Celestia would probably not let him get away with declaring the Everfree to be essentially part of Ponyville. He supposed he'd sleep in Applejack's orchard or something; it would hardly be the first time he'd slept outdoors.

"Just out of curiosity, what happens if I screw this up again?"

Her eyes went very cold. "I'd strongly suggest that you don't do that," Celestia said. "As I said... one more chance."

So. If he messed this up again... petrification, death, or something else really unpleasant. Well. At least he knew. "All right," he said. "Under the circumstances, I suppose... I suppose that's more than fair." He lowered his head. "Thank you, Celestia."

She blinked at him. "For what?"

"For giving me one more chance. I... wasn't sure you would. I'm not... I'm not even sure you should." He looked at the floor. "I'll... I'll try to live up to it."

Without warning he felt her hooves wrap around him suddenly. Discord stared down at the rainbow-colored mane floating just below his head, and the alicorn inexplicably hugging him around the neck. "Celestia? What are you doing?"

She lifted her head and looked up at him. "You've never apologized. You've never acknowledged you ever did anything wrong. This is the first--" Her voice broke, and she leaned her head in against his neck again. "Please don't disappoint me again," she said softly. "I couldn't bear it."

"I... I'll try."

Celestia released him. "Well. You told Pinkie you would help her with the party preparations, and it's never a good idea to break a promise to Pinkie," she said. "Why don't you go do that. Luna and I will return to Canterlot, but we will be back to attend the party; we need to let the guard know all that's happened. Let Twilight know, please."

"All right."

Celestia vanished, and Discord wandered from the room, down the dim hallway, following the sounds of Pinkie mustering up a party. She'd never asked him to help out before. Maybe they were sincere. Maybe they did want him as part of them... as a friend.

The kitchen was full of bright lights, warmth, delicious smells, and busy mares (as well as a busy small dragon.) When he stood in the doorway, Pinkie, too busy using her mouth to hold baking utensils to actually say anything, waved at him wildly with a spatula in her hoof. Twilight apparently saw the moving spatula, followed the line of sight to find Discord in the doorway, and smiled at him. "Come on in! We could use the help!"

He grinned at her, and stepped through the doorway, into the warm light.

Author's Note:

Yay! My first multi-chapter fic on FIMfiction that I can declare FINISHED! Woohoo!

Comments ( 58 )

Awww, this chapter gave me feels :twilightsmile:
Thankyou for writing this, I enjoyed it.

waved at him wildly with a spatula in her hand

Her hand
Whoa, Pinkie's powers are even more terrifying than I thought.
That aside, it's pretty good, although now I burn with curiosity to see the long term effects of Discord's actions

D'awwww, Celestia hugged Discord. :yay:

I think you have the sequel numbers messed up. it has no escape from yourself listed as a sequel instead of a prequel.

4718369

No, this is correct. This story happens first.

4718898
In that case your description is messed up then

Written as a prequel to "No Escape From Yourself."

4719617
Yes. Traitor is the prequel; No Escape From Yourself is the sequel.

Ahhh, I'm so glad that there's a sequel. I've never wanted more in my entire life! (Well, maybe I have, but whatever!) I am so excited for it! I waited for the last chapter, excited to read it, and it was so fantastic and I loved it and thank you!!!

4719645 gah, sorry had a brain fart

I really liked your story. I just had one question why did you never mention the flower scene at the end where discord gives celestia the flowers at the end? Not critizing I still love this fanfic. I just thought it would have been brought up

4720176

Because the entire party is part of the next chapter of the sequel.

Well this felt more appropriate than the "kids" version we got from Hasbro but I don't completely fault the creators of the show to begin with since we are not the "official targeted audience" of the show to begin with.

Very sweet. In the sequel, didn't Discord go to the moon or something? Wouldn't that violate his probation?

4727729

He's off town arrest by then.

4727731 That was less than a month later! That Celestia, this is why I think of her as basically a giant Fluttershy.

4727738

To be fair, he does something fairly dramatic and difficult even for him (actually kind of especially for him) for a friend that is not Fluttershy, which gives Celestia and several of the Mane 6 the idea that he is, in fact, sincere about his feelings of friendship. The excessive leniency is also part of his problem. Everyone being lenient with him when he despises what he's done makes him feel that none of them are sincere, aside from Fluttershy.

4782015

But the blonde pegasus with the gray mane

I meant to say gray coat there; that's a typo. Or really kind of a brain-o. Manes translate to hair, so a blonde has a yellow mane; that means what I actually wrote was nonsensical.

I pulled a punch there. I had thought that I was doing way too much telling, not showing, in the first draft of this chapter, and originally I planned to expand both the conversation between Discord and Celestia (which was covered by a single paragraph, originally) and Discord playing with the Wonderbolts. But i wanted to maintain some degree of reader sympathy with Discord, and actually showing him tormenting Derpy, I thought, would just make everyone hate him. Even if he felt bad about it. So I kept it as just a paragraph rather than expanding it. Probably not the correct decision from a technical writing point of view, but I thought it would maintain my tone better.

4782626

I reviewed and plugged your story here.

Exquisite. I'm genuinely sorry that I waited this long to read the rest. You always write a fantastic Discord, and this one was especially well done. You haven't just justified his actions in this episode, you've made them work. And there were other great bits in there as well, from Pinkie's magic-free defiance of logic to the deeper insights into the history between Discord and the Tree of Harmony.

Also, your Cadance is relatively ruthless. I'm surprised, but I must say, it works. Love is not all cuddles and schmoopy-doos. Love hurts. Love can kill. It's a dangerous, volatile, chaotic substance. No wonder Discord dislikes Cadance. To him, she's that special kind of irksome that only comes from the people who are more similar to you than you want to admit.

In all, a fantastic story. Thank you for it. :twilightsmile:

4789705

Something else about Cadance.

Twilight sees Cadance as loving and gentle and kind because Cadance loves her. Twilight does absolutely nothing to set off Cadance's ruthless side. Quite the opposite: Twilight loves Cadance too and Cadance feels protective toward her husband's little sister whom she babysat for years ago.

I have survived. Unbelievable. So, what an I say? This fanfic was amazing, one of the best I´ve ever read. You took you time to develop it so it doesn´t feel rushed at all. You make reiterated allusions to a past which we don´t know (or perhaps we do, but this is the first story of yours that I read so...) but it still feels perfectly understandable. It wasn´t completely based on that backstory, but it played an important role. Well done with that as well. I´ll read "No Escape from Yourself" as soon as possible!

4789705

Also, your Cadance is relatively ruthless. I'm surprised, but I must say, it works. Love is not all cuddles and schmoopy-doos. Love hurts. Love can kill. It's a dangerous, volatile, chaotic substance.

All of this is true, but also, in canon, Cadance is involved in two of the most epic, unforgiving beatdown of villains in the entire series.

Nightmare Moon and Sunset Shimmer are redeemed, Discord and Tirek are imprisoned (and Discord is later redeemed), but Chrysalis is flung with murderous force, as are her minions, and Sombra is annihilated. If I were a villain, I would rather face Twilight and the Mane 6 than Cadance, any day. :-) Love is a much more chaotic and dangerous force than friendship, and the show actually makes this clear -- Chrysalis uses love as a weapon, literally rather than the figurative weaponizing of friendship that is mediated by the Elements of Harmony. She possesses Shining Armor and steals his will by using his love against him.

Cadance is a cute, relatively small and young for an alicorn, princess who isn't godawfully powerful and appears to be only a bit older than Twilight. She's a pink, cute, fun and friendly aunt figure who represents a force often thought of as schmoopy and weak. But from love poisons to Changelings, MLP has always been willing to admit there is a dark side to love... and the villains that Cadance fought are the ones who are least likely to get back up again afterward. So yeah. Cadance is a ruthless badass. I think Celestia groomed her to be Luna #2, that Luna was the badass of the two sisters but that becoming Nightmare Moon and subsequently being redeemed has made her lose a lot of her nerve. Luna second guesses her own judgement now, in my opinion, and that is why we do not see her committing epic beatdowns. Twilight was groomed to be Celestia's heir, so she has been trained in the ways of friendship, forgiveness and diplomacy; Cadance obviously is more than capable of diplomacy herself, but she has demonstrated a ruthlessness Twilight lacks. (I also suspect she has PTSD from being a prisoner of the Changelings.)

No wonder Discord dislikes Cadance. To him, she's that special kind of irksome that only comes from the people who are more similar to you than you want to admit.

I don't know why but ever since Three's a Crowd I've been fascinated by the relationship between Discord and Cadance. I would never ship them, I don't think they exactly like each other, and yet I do think they have some surprising things in common and some points of connection that one might not immediately notice. My Cadance understands chaos magic better than any of the other alicorns, because love is chaotic; this doesn't mean she uses chaos magic, but she understands it.

4800447 Well, of course. That "partly" was maybe a little too generous. Discord was acting as if he thought that Equestria was in debt with him for not taking it over again, when it is him who should be thankful for being able to go wherever he wants whenever he wants and having as Fluttershy said; "a little space to be himself". But Discord wanted to be forgiven almost instantly. When you torture someone just because it amuses you if that person ever comes close to "tolerate" you, you are the one who should be thankful. Yet, I can understand that from Discord´s point of view they were not truly understanding the sacrifice he had done. He had renounced to do what he was meant to do by the laws of nature itself in order to be liked, and what he sees as an immense effort for them is just the beginning of being "tolerable". So, in both senses, it was a problem that Discord couldn´t avoid just because of who and how he is. Bedsides, there will always be spite among the members of any society. This is something that simply was meant to happen. But, as I said, I strongly agree with your point of view.

4800407 Thanks for the responses.

Heh. No, Discord is running around closing the borders right now, not opening them up. This is a fourth wall-ish reference to all the HiE stories out there; I assume Discord may not have the degree of awareness that Pinkie Pie does that his whole world is fictional, but he is aware of other worlds and other dimensions, so I think he knows that in a lot of other timelines humans have fallen through into Equestria and usually end up in the Everfree Forest.

I suppose I have to plead guilty here myself for doing just that in my John the Balladeer/MLP:FiM crossover 'My Little Balladeer' here on the site. I suppose I can raise the point in my defense that the original series is very rural, set as it is in the Ozarks, and so it just felt right for John to end up in another mysterious enchanted woods. That and John doesn't fall in love with any of the ponies and vice-versa.

Though really the idea of Discord opening up dimensional gates for a joke and then something going wrong sounds like both a simple and rather close to canon way to get ponies into other words and vice-versa for those inclined.

And let me say again too that you do one of the better jobs on FIMfic of presenting the characters with their canon personalities intact, and when it does get more 'mature'' they still feel like their canon selves.

4800963

I suppose I have to plead guilty here myself for doing just that in my John the Balladeer/MLP:FiM crossover 'My Little Balladeer' here on the site. I suppose I can raise the point in my defense that the original series is very rural, set as it is in the Ozarks, and so it just felt right for John to end up in another mysterious enchanted woods. That and John doesn't fall in love with any of the ponies and vice-versa.

Oh, the Everfree makes great sense for a character from another dimension to come out in; it's wild and dangerous, full of unusual magic, and really, would we have characters materialize out of nowhere in Ponyville? And if they suddenly appear in Appleoosa or the Galloping Gorge or Vanhoover, then how do they meet and interact with the main cast? Everyone does the Everfree because it makes good sense, storywise; it's just overplayed, and while many stories, like yours, have strong, solid new characters and a sharp vision (often for the same reason yours did, it's a crossover), and good reasons to set the transition in the Everfree, others are simply lame wish-fulfillment crap. If they were all like "My Little Balladeer" I'd have nothing to mock about them. :-)

Though really the idea of Discord opening up dimensional gates for a joke and then something going wrong sounds like both a simple and rather close to canon way to get ponies into other words and vice-versa for those inclined.

I've been toying with the notion of an HiE where the excuse for the character being in Equestria is the work I've established that Discord has been doing in closing the gates; in order to locate a dormant gate to close it, he has to re-open it, and between the time he re-opens and closes it, a human falls through, and then can't get back home because Discord just sealed that gate. So even Discord being responsible and doing the right thing causes chaos. :-)

4819016

Oh, the Everfree makes great sense for a character from another dimension to come out in; it's wild and dangerous, full of unusual magic, and really, would we have characters materialize out of nowhere in Ponyville? And if they suddenly appear in Appleoosa or the Galloping Gorge or Vanhoover, then how do they meet and interact with the main cast? Everyone does the Everfree because it makes good sense, storywise; it's just overplayed, and while many stories, like yours, have strong, solid new characters and a sharp vision (often for the same reason yours did, it's a crossover), and good reasons to set the transition in the Everfree, others are simply lame wish-fulfillment crap. If they were all like "My Little Balladeer" I'd have nothing to mock about them. :-)

Thanks! I didn't know that you'd read the story, or if I did I forgot and my apologies, but I really appreciate the praise. Not least for reminding me that I need to write a sequel and prequel to it, one involving Nightmare Moon geting 'summoned' by John Dee in the 16th century, and the other with Twilight and Luna searching forJohn in dreams just so they can talk again (and everything goes wrong).

I've been toying with the notion of an HiE where the excuse for the character being in Equestria is the work I've established that Discord has been doing in closing the gates; in order to locate a dormant gate to close it, he has to re-open it, and between the time he re-opens and closes it, a human falls through, and then can't get back home because Discord just sealed that gate. So even Discord being responsible and doing the right thing causes chaos.

I'd really enjoy seeing this, especially if it involved a human other than the usual young male brony. I've seen one story on-site that has the planes and pilots from the torpedo bomber flight that vanished in the Bermuda Triangle end up in Equestria, for instance. But however you do it, it'll be great and worth reading.

4819292

I'd really enjoy seeing this, especially if it involved a human other than the usual young male brony. I've seen one story on-site that has the planes and pilots from the torpedo bomber flight that vanished in the Bermuda Triangle end up in Equestria, for instance. But however you do it, it'll be great and worth reading.

Young female science fiction fan who's never heard of the recent incarnation of My Little Pony and never watched the older versions, is scared of horses, and has a master's degree in information science (young by my standards; by the standards of the usual HiE, she's actually on the older side, because she's pushing 30); the main point is to bring Twilight a new type of science to play with. I may or may not bother because as of right now it has no actual plot, aside from "wow, wouldn't it be awesome if Twilight could be exposed to things like game theory and programming languages?" The character's kind of fun, given that her hippophobia is triggered by Celestia, her reaction to discovering she's now stuck in a land ruled by magical pretty pony princesses is "I am in hell", and she's not particularly scared of Discord (Discord and the ponies are sentient beings who can talk, so that sets her off on "wow, cool, I'm meeting aliens! this does not make up for being stuck here... but aliens!"... however, Celestia is a horse. A horse that talks is still a horse. The ponies are tiny, so she's not scared of them, but Celestia is big, and that says "horse". So it's kind of hilarious that she'll make best buds with Twilight and do snarky banter with Discord and yet will not go within ten feet of Celestia and is obviously terrified of her... which the ponies can't comprehend. How can you be scared of Celestia but not Discord? Also she is totally freaked out by Fluttershy's house because she's actually terrified of birds and large animals, too... which bemuses the hell out of everyone because how can you be comfortable with Twilight and Discord but be scared of Fluttershy?) But a fun character still doesn't make for a plot, and "I just wanna find a way home" might have worked for Farscape, Voyager and Gilligan's Island, but it's kind of weaksauce as plots go.

4819345 Good luck with it!

4819016
4819292

Also the Everfree, in canon, is a mysterious place where vast mystical forces come together. It's the perfect place for some sort of interdimensional nexus to form. I have another part of the Everfree be the old Dream Valley, with a tell which used to be Paradise Estate -- this is where the Rainbow Bridge used to reach.

4837608

Well, tragedy was theoretically supposed to imply an unhappy ending, but "sad" is nowadays used for the stories where something unhappy happens and it stays unhappy, whereas tragedy is more about someone's downfall due to their own personal flaws. If they rise up again afterward, well, good for them, but it was still a tragedy at some point. :-)

I would love to read a story about Discord dropping jellybeans off buildings.

This....this was AMAZING!
XD

5185558

They could come to hate him less over time. Even come to like him. There's evidence in canon that Pinkie Pie is already starting to like him. He may return the sentiment, too, at least to the point of being marginally more careful not to hurt her than he is with the others save for Fluttershy.


4789705 4795358 I find it interesting that in light of the fanon that Love is Chaotic (I headcanon it); that in story Discord has been in at least one romantic relationship, but has failed to achieve the more Harmonious relationship of friendship; at least until Fluttershy.

It all fits together! :pinkiegasp:

4795358

Cadance could be used as a classic illustration for Beware the Nice Ones. She's possibly the nicest, sweetest. and most deeply-loving and sympathetic characters on the show (unlike Twilight, she's not emotionally-detached, and unlike Fluttershy, she's not afraid of other Ponies).

And, as you point out, she's been involved both times they've killed (or tried to kill) the foe. Cadance can be ruthless, protecting those she loves.

In fact, TV Tropes uses her as an example:

Princess Cadance (the real one) is a kind and sweet Love Goddess and used to work as a babysitter. However, when she is kidnapped and her husband-to-be is about to marry her evil double, she shows nothing but determination, repeatedly defies the changeling queen (even after said queen defeats Princess Celestia), and then helps deliver the Heart Beatdown that blows the changelings across the continent!

Then in the season 3 opener she maintains a field of light and love around the Crystal Empire that manages to keep King Sombra, a unicorn Evil Overlord that took both her aunts to defeat the first time, out for what was likely days. This, combined with his horrific treatment of his subjects, leads to her setting up another love-powered Wave Motion Gun and telling his subjects Do with Him as You Will. The end result is King Sombra being obliterated.

(I also suspect she has PTSD from being a prisoner of the Changelings.)

Plus ... there's no nice way to put this ... I think Chrysalis repeatedly raped Shining Armor. Partially to be sadistic, but even more to get his superior genes to contribute to her next batches of Warriors. Remember, she's a Hive Queen.

I think that Cadance was fully aware of this fact. She either reasoned it out when she was captive, or Chrysalis taunted her with it, or she figured it out later.

This can't have made her -- or Shining Armor -- at all happy about the situation. I personally think that both of them hate Chrysalis very, very deeply.

I'll never get tired of reading your stories on Discord. Your characterization of him is always so spot on.

"Is there truly a connection between the Crystal Heart and the Tree of Harmony?" Luna asked.

"Oh, trust me, Luna, they are very closely related," Discord said. "I would know."

Oh come now, Discord, you give the writers far too much credit.

You know very well they haven't thought that far ahead about the continuity of the mythos in the show and the Crystal Heart will probably barely ever be mentioned again now that Rainbow Power has overshadowed everything. Heck, at this point I'd be shocked if they ever tried to explain the Map properly.

Even Zordon had a backstory that made SOME sense!

:trollestia:

Ah, this points out a little something ELSE I had contentions with in "What About Discord". Here, Twilight and the Mane 6 seemed to actually forgive Discord... And Twilight also understands him fairly well in "Make New Friends But Keep Discord"... but suddenly both he and she forget about all that for WAD...

Ugh, inconsistent character development is such a nagging problem in the show. It's a form of Plot Amnesia that should not exist in a properly formatted and out-lined show with maintained long-term continuity.

For all its weirdness and profaneness, even a show like "South Park" does better with consistent characterization. But then, Matt and Trey are the consistent writing team, which does make it easier to keep details intact.

6940318

Though to be fair, in "What About Discord?" Dissy is flat-out intentionally playing with the Mane Six. And in a sane, non-destructive matter, too -- what he does is basically an elaborate prank on Twilight Sparkle. He doesn't actually harm anyone, he just annoys Twilight. He's learned that if he actually attacks Ponies, he can't be friends with them. That's character growth. He just started out much worse.

WOW!! THE FEELS! THE HAPPINESS! AMAZING! this... wow, it just made my day. Thank you so much for this story. So much. :twilightsmile:

I have my own reason for this:

Imagine wanting to do one thing so stinking badly. But you can't because that thing will break the bond with you're closest friends.

Now imagine someone offering you a chance to do that thing and be closer than your friends would've been.

Out of curiosity, are you a psychiatrist? Because this story feels as though it was written by a studier of the mind.

7785917
Not a psychiatrist, but I majored in psychobiology and went for a master's (that I never got, ironically due to a bout with undiagnosed depression.) I've been studying the sciences of people -- anthropology, sociology, psychology, history -- as a hobby most of my life though.

I can't stand Discord in the show. So normally when I see him in fanfiction the feeling carries over. Stories like these are why I enjoy fanfiction so much. They can give different perspective to an already budding idea or concept. And find interest in a character you thought you just couldn't deal with. Only to realize you just don't like how he's handled.

This was a massive delight, thank you.

This story was absolutely awesome! Well done!

To be fair to Discord I can't really blame him for his line of thought. Flutters and Pinkie are the only 2 that give him the time of day, one of which is being dangled in front of him as a threat, while the others merely treat him as an annoyance. All the while he's expected to just abandon who and what he is on a basic level.

4673797
Discord was a monster who did the closest thing to rape the show is allowed to show. He didn't deserve the forgiveness he was granted-either time.

9066181
Eh, Discord didn't do anything Twilight didn't do. If Twilight didn't rape Ponyville with the Want-It-Need-It spell, Discord didn't rape anyone by altering their emotional states. (Unless you're talking about the magic stealing, in which case, that was Tirek. Discord assisted, but then suffered the same thing himself.)

Besides, the closest thing the show is allowed to portray vis-a-vis rape was what Chrysalis did to Shining Armor. Discord didn't force anyone to love him. That's... a much more blatant rape analogy.

Login or register to comment