• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 2,382 Views, 108 Comments

Millennial Redemption - Hopefullygoodgrammar



What are redemption's limits? Can someone lost in the darkness find the light? Is any of this possible for Rip Van Winkle?

  • ...
6
 108
 2,382

7.

There was fire all about her, the air was thick with ashes which had once been living people and the roar of gunfire assaulted her like real bullets.

She looked down and saw that she was standing in a rushing river of blood and spent casings.

“War is Hell” went the old proverb, she had never really considered just how true that was.

She heard a baby start to cry off in the distance, only to be swiftly silenced.

Rip sobbed and fell to her knees, shivering at the coldness of the river, but too anguished to care; She looked upwards and saw the bombers go up in bright flames while misfired missiles erupted like mono-colored fireworks.

How many are dead? she wondered, How many mothers will weep for the loss of their sons and daughters? How many wives will have to hear about how their husbands were shot down in the line of duty? How many of their lovers will weep silently as the death toll rises, knowing that their secret will remain as such forever?

She pressed a hand to her face and looked down, the guilt piling upon her back like lead weights.

“I’m so sorry.” she whispered, closing her eyes even though it she knew that it wouldn’t help; You can’t hide from your memories.

The sounds of battle stopped as suddenly as if someone had flipped some mystical and all-encompassing OFF switch. Rip opened her eyes and gasped in shock when she saw where she was kneeling….and who was sitting with her.

She was in a grassy field, filled with flowers of every imaginable color and warmed by a shining sun.

The individual who was sitting with her was another pony, but this one was far taller than the others, and possessed both a horn and wings. Her fur was as blue as the deep sea and her starry mane flowed and roiled like liquid.

Rip opened her mouth, then shut it just as quickly, she was at a loss for what to say.

The blue pony smiled and said, “Greetings, Rip Van Winkle.”

The unexpected use of her name restored her speech and she asked, “Who are you….and how do you know my name?”

The tall pony chuckled, “We-I mean I am Luna, princess of the night and of dreams. I know your name because I’ve been inside your mind-albeit very, very briefly.”

Rip was stunned, “You-you know about me? And you’re not afraid of me?”

Luna’s smiled didn’t waver, but Rip could see sadness take up residence in her eyes.

“No, I am not afraid of you. I know that you are a sad person who made her share of mistakes and wants to atone for them; I know all too well what that is like.”

Luna looked Rip in the eyes and Rip stared back, seeing the truth in the Night Princess’ words.

Luna turned to the bright, sprawling field that lay ahead and gestured with a silver-shod hoof, “I thought that this would be a nice change from that….horrible place.”, Rip felt her cheeks heat up when Luna shuddered.

“S-so….you can...control dreams?” she asked softly, an idea forming in her mind even as the words left her mouth.

“Yes, I can alter the dreamscape at will..” said Luna.

“Can...can you make a specific dreamscape?” asked Rip.

“I can indeed.” said the Night Princess with a smile, “Is there a place in particular that you’d like to see?”

Rip nodded solemnly and then told her.


Derpy and the recently-returned Twilight and Fluttershy watched as the vampire’s nightmare-induced whimpering and writhing died down to be replaced with a small smile that radiated relief.

“I guess Luna found her.” said Twilight with a smile.

“Oh, thank Celestia,” said Fluttershy “I was just about to wake her up. But you can always count on Luna to save the day.”

“I wonder what she’s dreaming about now.” said Derpy, watching in confusion as Rip’s smile was replaced by a strange look that she wasn’t completely sure what to make of; It looked almost like a cross between acceptance and sadness.

Neither Twilight nor Fluttershy responded and, after a minute more, they left Rip to her sleep.


She stood in the spacious room, the bright light that emanated from somewhere far above her made the marble pillars and floor gleam like sun-struck water.

Rip looked around and smiled sadly.

They were all there.

She walked up to the nearest wall and inspected the first golden plaque that her eyes landed on. The inscription read: Thomas Wolfe.

I remember him. she thought as she let the words etch themselves into her mind, He was a Russian soldier that I crossed paths with during my first mission….I got shot in the leg, but my bullets still found their mark, just as they always did.

Placing a hand on the plaque she said, in a low voice, “I’m sorry, Thomas. I ended your life and let your mother without a son, I hope that, wherever you are, you can forgive me.”

She let the tears fall as she stood up and moved on to the next plaque.

She knew that it would take many more dreams, but it was the only way that she knew how to start her atonement.

Maybe one day I can sleep peacefully. she thought, But, until then, I must remember those that I wronged and hope that they can forgive me.

She bent down and read the next plaque and hoped.

Comments ( 15 )

Poor Rip...:ajsleepy:

Rip seems to genuinely want redemption. Let's hope she can get it...

5238197 Yeah....Poor Rip.

"We must cross bitter waters before we reach the sweet."

I always felt bad for Rip, I don't know why though? And honestly I think this was my favorate Millinium character.
But Seras is my all-time favorite vampire cause... you know...

"Bitches love cannons!"

:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Will this be continued? The chapters were short but good.

This was gleeful for me to see. I liked Rip Van Winkle in Hellsing Ultimate, so a story about her? here? im there!

and I am not dissapointed in the slightest. this felt powerful to me. well done. I wish there was more, but im glad with what ive seen!

more please!

great story. more please.

Would be nice if you added more chapters.

Update please

The premise is pretty interesting. I wish I could see how it would end. :applecry:

Login or register to comment