• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 2,382 Views, 108 Comments

Millennial Redemption - Hopefullygoodgrammar



What are redemption's limits? Can someone lost in the darkness find the light? Is any of this possible for Rip Van Winkle?

  • ...
6
 108
 2,382

4.

Twilight had seriously screwed up, that much was obvious to her as she watched the strange creature scream and fling herself backwards.

She felt shame bubble up inside of her chest as she watched Fluttershy’s odd guest scramble backwards on all fours, going for the space between the bookshelf and the wall and squeezing herself into it whilst making herself as small as she possibly could.

“Oh, I am so, so sorry!” she said, placing her hooves to her mouth and rushing forwards to aid the poor creature.

Just before she could get too close the door burst open and a very panicked-looking Fluttershy raced in, looking around frantically. When her eyes landed on Twilight, who appeared to be looming over her trembling guest, she narrowed her eyes and galloped up to her tactless friend.

“Twilight! What in Equestria are you doing?” she asked, managing to sound both appalled and shocked.

The purple unicorn pinned her ears back and tried to stammer out an apology, but Fluttershy had already moved past her and was now trying to coax the strange creature out from her corner.

“It’s alright now” she soothed, “Twilight won’t hurt you, I promise.”

There was a moment of silence, then a weak voice asked, “V-vat is s-she? And...vat are you?

Fluttershy blinked, then said, “Well… my name is Fluttershy and I’m a pegasus, and my friend there” she indicated the still very embarrassed Twilight, “is Twilight Sparkle, she’s an alicorn. What’s your name?”

The strange creature hesitated a moment, then said, “My name is Rip Van Winkle.”

“Rip Van Winkle… that’s a very pretty name!” said Fluttershy with a soft smile.

Rip blushed despite herself, having not heard a compliment of that sort in more than 60 years.

Fluttershy held out a hoof, “It’s very nice to meet you.”

Rip looked at the hoof, then slowly reached out and tentatively shook it.

Fluttershy smiled and backed away at Rip got to her feet and slowly walked back to the couch, doing her best to skirt around Twilight, who looked away ashamedly when she noticed the tension in her movements.

Rip climbed back onto the couch, drew her legs up to her chest and wrapped her blanket around her thin body.

Fluttershy and Twilight exchanged concerned looks at the way Rip clammed up.

Twilight approached Rip slowly, wincing slightly when the strange creature looked up and tried to make herself smaller.

“Uhm… hello, Miss. Van Winkle.” said Twilight, “I’m so, so sorry for scaring you, I was just excited and I seriously overstepped my bounds.”

Rip bit her lip, giving Twilight a peek at her sharpened teeth, before she replied, “I-it’s okay, Ms. Sparkle, I overreacted, it’s my fault.”

“Oh no, no, no, it’s my fault.” insisted Twilight, shaking her head “ I’d be scared too if an alicorn just popped into existence a few feet from me.”

Nein, it was my fault.” said Rip, looking away.

“No, it was my fault.”

Fluttershy stepped in before Rip could muster another apology and said, “Normally I’d mediate an argument like this by saying that you both overreacted, but Twilight is the one at fault here.”, she shot Twilight an apologetic look, but was met with a small smile and a nod.

“O-okay” said Rip shakily, “S-sorry for arguing.”

Fluttershy and Twilight both frowned slightly at these words, but Rip had withdrawn behind the curtain of her hair again.

The trio waited in awkward silence for what seemed like a small eternity until Twilight cleared her throat, getting the attention of Fluttershy’s off guest.

“So, Rip, why don’t you tell us a bit about yourself?”

Rip blinked owlishly, then said, “Uh… vell, you know my name and that I’m obviously not from around here, vat else do you want to know?”

“How old are you?” asked Twilight, conjuring a pen and paper.

“I turned 81 last fall.” said Rip, sounding somewhat embarrassed.

“81? Is it normal for your species to live a long time?” asked the studious alicorn, sounding more excited.

Rip bit her lip again, trying to decide which species’ age span she should use. Finally she said, “Some times.”

Twilight nodded, then asked, “I see… so, I noticed that you have sharp teeth, are you carnivorous?”

Rip didn’t see the tense and worried looks that crossed their faces. “I-I don’t eat very much anymore.”

The worry and tension melted away from Twilight’s face, but stayed on Fluttershy’s, “Oh? How come?”

Rip shrugged, “I just don’t.”

Twilight let out a small huff, obviously displeased at the lack of details that she was receiving.

“Does your kind...eat p-ponies?” asked Fluttershy, startling Twilight and making Rip look up.

Nein, my people eat… different things.” she said. Fluttershy noticed a slight, pained expression pass over her face.

Twilight ‘hmm’-ed and jotted down a few more notes. Then she looked up and gave Rip a wide smile, “Thank you for your help” she opened her eyes, then adopted a concerned expression, “I hope I didn’t make you uncomfortable.”

Rip shook her head without saying a word. Twilight nodded and started for the door, but just before her hoof touched the doorknob she suddenly turned and rushed back into the room.

“I’m sorry” she said, “but I forgot to ask you what your species name is. Could you tell me?”

Rip visibly tensed, then let out a soft, shuddering sigh before replying.

“I am a freak.”