• Published 17th Jun 2014
  • 2,644 Views, 105 Comments

The Grownup Way - Cold Spike



Waking up as something different should shock people, it should make you scream and cry out in agony. A human one night, a pony the other. Things seemed bleak for Samantha, for about a second. She was an adult pony and it was time to have some fun.

  • ...
11
 105
 2,644

Chapter Ten: A Sick Lord

Author's Note:

So I should note that from here on out the story is gonna take a few random twists and turns, which is why the RANDOM tag has been added. I'm not sure if this chapter even works right, but part of writing is experimenting with new ideas, even chaotic ones that are as much as a gamble as anything in life. Could I have carefully planned this story out more? Probably and I would like to think I do for everything I do in life, but sometimes you just have to dive in and write.

Let me all know what you think, and especially point out any mistakes you can find. I write this while dealing with pain from wisdom teeth removal and in some cases boredom. I hope it's enjoyable and I hope the story has still kept everyone's attention as it's way more of an experiment at this point.

Experiments don't always work and I've certainly had my fair share of failures on this site, but that is no excuse to throw in the towel and play it safe.

Enjoy~

“Alright, open your mouth,” Twilight commanded. Discord was comically laid out on top of a rather small bed. The three had gathered down in Twilight’s basement. Sweetie Belle was off to the side, doing her best not to look at all of the librarian’s inventions and gizmos. A flashback ran through her head of only a few moments ago.

“Okay, she can come,” Twilight said to Discord, much to Sweetie Belle’s displeasure. “But she and you are not to touch anything down there!” She insisted, her voice raising just a few notches.

Sweetie Belle nodded, but before she could even finish her gesture, Twilight’s face was inches before hers. The mare had an eerie serious expression plastered on her muzzle.

“I’m being serious!”

“Okay, okay!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed, nodding her head even faster.

Twilight glared at both of them, then quietly let some magic flow from her horn then the door quickly unlocked.

When the filly snapped back to reality she found Discord currently had several dozen wires sticking out of him, each connected to a rather bulky machine.

I should really stop daydreaming… She shook her head and did her best to focus on Twilight’s experiments. Even if she didn’t understand a single thing that was going on.

“Hey, Twilight, is he even sick?”

Twilight took a single minute to look up from her machine. “Honestly, I have no clue.” Twilight’s face scrunched up to disgust when one of DIscord’s claws detached itself and crawled away. “Not that he’s being much help!” She raised her voice and Discord merely chuckled.

“Oh, I’ve been very well behaved. Honestly, Twilight, you should be kinder to your friends.”

Twilight sighed and her pristine mane appeared to deflate twenty percent. “Discord, I’m still not exactly sure why you think something is wrong with you.” Twilight looked up to Sweetie Belle who merely shrugged as if to say “don’t look at me”.

“I can just feel it in my bones!” He gave Twilight a begging look, then his eyes shifted to Sweetie Belle. “Besides, you should really be asking her what’s going on. After all I wasn’t the one that got sent to another dimension.”

Sweetie’s eyes widened in shock while Twilight simply nodded a few times. “Okay so-- wait, what did you just say?”

Discord scoffed. “I said “I wasn’t the one that found Samantha acting strange earlier. Twilight, you really should clean your ears more often.

Twilight held her tongue from saying something nasty then nodded. “What does that have to do with anything?”

Discord promptly stood up, and yanked all the wires off of him. “Well, think about it. Anypony acting strange could easily be linked to my illness.” he explained casually. He then narrowed his eyes at Twilight. “Do you even know what could happen if I was, indeed, sick?”

“Hopefully bed rest and nothing chaotic happening?” she questioned in slightly cheerful tone. Discord slowly shook his head. “Well, you just don’t seem sick.”

“My dear Twilight, appearances can be oh so deceiving. Oh…” Discord trailed off when they all noticed he had began to walk away from the exam table, with his body trailing behind as well. His arms, legs and face looked behind him and he sighed. “Oh, poo, don’t you just hate it when that happens?”

Twilight and Sweetie stared in wide eyed shock at his stationary floating body. After a couple moments of this, they saw the color literally drain from it. Red, brown and grey mixed together to form an ink like material on the basement floor. When it was over his body appeared to fall down quite quickly, like a rock.

“Well, I guess you’re right, Twilight. I feel fit as a fiddle!” he announced with a wicked smile.


“Samantha, you’re starting to freak me out… like, a lot,” Jessica said while staring at her friend's hand who happened to be moving all over a cardboard cutout pony ad.

“Yeah, well, so am I. Just give me a few minutes, then we can forget about my sudden bout of craziness and go home,” she replied while digging around. She was growing more frustrated as time grew on, but she didn’t want to give up on Sweetie Belle. She knew the one way back to their world seemed to have something to do with pony related things, she just didn’t know why. Well, she didn’t exactly know it had everything to do with pony paraphernalia, she just knew showing up in Equestria had happened from a pony poster of all things. After ten minutes of searching all around, she sighed. Samantha looked back up at her friend and smiled shyly. “Uh, okay let’s go home.”

“Hmm, I dunno, you seemed pretty sure of yourself. You said that girl was from… another “place”. Right?” Jessica questioned in a rare moment of sincerity.

“Yeah… I know that’s not much of an explanation to go on.” Samantha wasn’t even sure why she had told Jessica; with Sweetie Belle gone she had no actual proof to back herself up. She could be lost out there… she thought worrying. I doubt she randomly made it back to Equestria somehow, so where is she?!

“Are your clothes glowing, or am I high?” Jessica asked, feeling all over her body. “I mean, I don’t do drugs or anything, but your clothes really look like they’re glowing…”

Yep, I’m glowing.


“Discord! You will explain to me what is going on and you will make sense while doing it! Do you understand?!” Twilight half screamed and half commanded at his floating disembodied eyes and mouth.

Twilight demanded this while Sweetie Belle attempted to sweep up the remains of Discord’s body with a broom. The child was acting frantically and wasn’t exactly sure if it was one of the creature’s tricks or not. Better safe than sorry… better not be a trick. Or he’s gonna play a certain game with me. Sweetie Belle thought, thinking of just the right pink pony to call on if the Element of Chaos needed punishment. Pinkie Pie > Discord.

“You know it’s funny because, for once, I honestly don’t know what's been going on. At least not when it comes to be detached head and all,” he replied swiftly, while doing his best to concentrate in order to keep his mouth together.

Sweetie Belle stopped sweeping and gave him a glare. “You’re lying! Earlier you said--”

“Ah, I know that something is going on, I just don’t know why I’m like this… not exactly anyway. Meaning I did not lie to dearest Twilight.”

“But you kept information from us?” Twilight questioned, her anger threatening to boil.

“Well, specifically I kept information from you,” he said while pointing to Twilight. “Not Pint Sized Marshmallow over there.”

Sweetie Belle promptly dropped the broom and walked over to Twilight, joining the unicorn’s glaring contest.

“Oh don’t give me that look, Twilight, you have a tendency to blow up over the smallest things. I can only imagine what would happens when you’re told a dimensional travelling pony breached our boundaries, stole my magic and is doing Celestia knows what with it,” he quipped casually.

Twilight did a double take and scratched her mane. Sounds like something from one of Spike’s comics… “You wanna run that one by me again? I don’t understand.”

Sweetie Belle went to the other strange planet, she was there, and she felt she didn’t understand.

“You know what a dimension is, yes?”

“Yes, what does that have to do with anything? It’s just the measure or length of--”

“Not that kind of dimension! Stop thinking in dictionaries!” Discord chastised by causing a newspaper to appear into his still working claw, then he beated it over the head of Twilight.

“I do not!” Sweetie Belle blurted out. Both Discord and Twilight paused and stared at Sweetie Belle for several long (and extremely awkward) moments.

Discord snorted. “Didn’t that old Princess teach you anything about dimension pathways? I mean you can teleport! That--”

“It’s not really teleportation, I simply speed up the passage of time relative to me then run over to where I wish to “teleport” to, then slow it down again,” Twilight explained swiftly, as if everypony knew how it worked.

Discord blinked and stared at her for a single tense moment. “I don’t believe you.”

Twilight sighed, and focused a familiar spell, only this time she focused it over both Discord and herself. In a manner of seconds time appeared to slow down immensely for both Discord and Twilight. Discord watched Sweetie Belle’s body move, but very slowly. Meanwhile Twilight cantered over to his side, then unfocused her spell. Upon doing this a single flash appeared over her, and time was normal again.

“See?”

“Interesting, when I teleport I open a hole in space and time in two different locations then I merely travel between them…”

Twilight reared back in horror. “Why would you do that?! Just follow the book and the steps on teleportation!” She levitated over a book to him, which Discord threw away in disgust. “The way you’re doing it is so reckless! You could tear a hole in the fabric of space time, in our magical barrier that surrounds and penetrates all of Equestria and its inhabitants!”

Discord scoffed. “Oh please, when I do I always make sure to put magical dampening fields around me and the holes that I make. That way when they are reabsorbed no damage is done to any “magical barriers”. Honestly, Twilight, you should really take more risks in life. So much more chaotic, but so much much more fun!” To emphasise his point he tried to teleport himself, but fell flat on his face. “Well, usually it is. The way you do it… it’s like you're a big stick in the mud!”

“I am not! Speeding up time for myself is just as fun!” she countered, sticking her tongue out childishly.

“Then why not stay that way? Keep time speeding up, you could play pranks on even myself!”

“That’s dangerous! I could be stuck that way! Then my magic would keep draining forever until-”

“Uh, Twilight. I think we’re getting off topic,” Sweetie Belle pointed out.

Discord nodded. “Quite right. As I was saying dimensional travel (something Celestia should have taught you)-” he paused to add, causing Twilight to pout “- is something Samantha is very much doing, and has been since she got here.”

“How did you even know she was in the first place?” Sweetie asked, rounding on him.

He considered how to answer before sighing. “Well…”

“I wonder what ol’ LuLu is up to these days?” Discord asked himself, then cracked his claws and summoned up a familiar spell. Opening up a rift between two places was, by no means, easy. But he had done it so many times, it was practically second nature. Imagining Princess Luna in her chamber (and the various things he would soon do to her toilet and possibly bathtub) and imagining the spot he was (Fluttershy’s home) he summoned up the spell.

“One, two, a three, achoo!” The final statement was accidental as he sneezed just as the spell was cast. What opened before him in a vastly swirling portal like opening was not what he had expected. Instea of “Moon Butt” he saw what could only be described as an alien creature.

“I had been trying to get to Luna’s room, when instead I opened a… sort of rift to another realm. Another planet. I was going to go in there and really explore when I noticed a pretty big problem, I had almost no control over the opening.”

Twilight rubbed the temples on her head over and over. “Ignoring the fact that you planned on sneaking into Princess Luna’s bedroom, control how?”

“Well, ordinarily I would be able to cast aside the portal on a whim, but it was being stubborn. It wasn’t going away when I told it to.” To emphasis what he meant, he summoned up a similar portal before the two ponies, it floated in mid air and shimmered all around in a circle. Inside they both saw Princess Luna walking around her bedroom. Before Twilight could throw a fit, Discord waved his claw and it vanished. “But mine wasn’t doing that, it was then that I noticed that it failed to go away due to time dilation. It was going away, just not very quickly.”

“You know, this is the most “science” I’ve ever seen you do, Discord.”

“Oh I am very scientific, Sparky.” Discord now donned several outfits befitting of a scientist, each thicker than the last. He also had on eight pairs of glasses for no apparent reason. “Anyway, it had to go and fast. I couldn’t just leave something like that up. I had to dispose of the evidence… I mean I had to cover it up so that little alien couldn’t see through here and nopony on this side could see into there. Problem solved!”

Twilight was furious. Meanwhile, Sweetie Belle stood off to the side and pondered all of what Discord claimed.

“You… you just left it there?!” she asked in horror as she had already began to pace back and forth frantically.

“What was I supposed to do? It wouldn’t budge. I hid it behind a rock or tree or something on our end using a bit of illusion magic, and behind a poster or something on her end. It should have worked!”

Twilight immediately stopped walking and then promptly pounced on his remaining body. “What if that alien touched the poster, Discord? What if somepony stumbled onto your rock, Discord?!”

“Well, they obviously did or we wouldn’t be having this conversation.” he replied with a quick chuckle of his own.

Twilight Sparkle spent the next ten seconds of her life doing her best to not incinerate Discord on the spot.

“Uh, Discord? You keep saying your magic is gone or something, did it get sucked into your portal thingy?” Sweetie Belle asked, while tiptoeing away from Twilight and her inevitable breakdown.

For a moment Twilight and Sweetie had assumed Discord has turned to stone as well, he remained frozen in place. Suddenly he twitched and sighed. “You know it’s funny, I really thought what would do me in was Sun Butt. Not a sneeze of all things, how boring.”

“Discord… what are you saying?” Twilight’s expression seemed solemn, her anger quickly forgotten.

“Sweetie is right, my magic is connected to that portal.”

“So?”

“So, the portal isn’t disappearing, not yet anyway. It will, eventually, but first it must take something with it… uh, everything with it.”

Twilight shook her head and chuckled. “That’s not…” she trailed off and saw that Discord, for once, seemed deadly serious. “Even if what you were saying was true, that would take… wait, how fast is it… sucking?”

Sweetie looked between the two of them, feeling as though she more lost than ever now.

“It would take centuries, Twilight. Eons even for all of Equestria, but for poor old me… I don’t have long. By the time I’m… gone, I’m sure you’ll have figured out a fix, just not for me.”

“Okay, so the alien--”

“It’s Samantha, Twilight. Try to keep up,” he reminded her.

“Right, wow, I guess it is her. Samantha is absorbing your magic?”

“Yes.” he answered plainly, growing a little less enthusiastic about the whole thing.

“What was “absorbing” it before she had discovered the portal?”

He started to tap his claws over and over, trying to consider her question as carefully as possible. “I honestly have no idea. It must have simply been sucked into her world somewhere, probably still lingering about; I had simply assumed she got it all, but you’re thinking no?”

“Do you honestly think she even has half of your power? She’d go insane!”

“I’d take offense to that, but I see your point. Hmm… if I was my magic and floating around in another world, where would I go?”

Sweetie Belle, feeling she had mostly caught up with their conversation, cleared her throat. “What if it’s in the poster?”

Both Twilight’s and Discord’s eyes turned to her in shock. “What? You said your magic was in the portal thingy, how come it can’t be absorbed into other things?”

Discord nodded and turned to Twilight. “See? That’s why you always go with children, they always have the best ideas. Plus if I get turned to stone again, maybe she and her loud friends will have another fight and I’ll be free as a bird!”

Twilight smacked her hoof into her face and slowly ran it down. “So, we are assuming your magic was absorbed into Samantha but mainly into a… advertisement piece of paper?” Twilight questioned hesitantly.

“That makes about as much sense as anything that’s been said all morning!” Discord exclaimed in a sincere voice. “All so obvious…”

“Uh, yeah. How do we find the poster then? And Samantha?”

Sweetie Belle raised her hoof and waited patiently to be called on.

“Uh, Sweetie Belle this isn’t a classroom. You can just speak,” Twilight said, wondering why she randomly decided to raise her hoof all of a sudden.

“Oh yeah. Uh, why don’t you just go back to the portal thingy and check for it?”

Discord shrugged. “Well, I would but not only does it change where it ends up on the other side randomly, but it is on our side as well. It could be in Princess Luna’s chambers by now for all I know.”

Twilight began to foam at the mouth. “You didn’t mention that part, how complicated is this portal?!”

Sweetie placed her hoof on Twilight’s head and began to pet it over and over. Twilight felt so confused in that moment that her anger was momentarily forgotten. “Okay, so we just wait for you to… uh, die?” she asked fearfully.

“Either that or Samantha to show up out of the blue. Though, the odds of that happening are approximately thirty seven hundred and twenty to one. Give or take twenty or so.”

All of a sudden they all heard the front door of the library slam open, Twilight used a bit of magic to open the basement door and then ran upstairs to see who it was.

“Hello?”

“Twilight,” Samantha said, “we need to talk.”

Comments ( 15 )

They should just ask Pinkie where the portal is :pinkiesmile:
She knows everything :pinkiehappy:

5697749 What if she is the portal?! :derpyderp2:

5697760
then she would know where it is or where she was :twilightsmile:

5697765 I don't think Pinkie even knows what year it is half the time, :pinkiesmile:

Anyway, I take it you enjoyed the chapter? I was kind a worried about posting it...

5697772
Pinkie is smarter than she looks after all she was the only pony who could simplify Twilight's science talk about the portal in Rainbow Rocks

5697782 shh, haven't seen that movie... or the first... shhhh spoilers.

5697798 giggles, it's okay. Thanks for reading though. ^^

Your story's description leaves much to be desired, but I did like your story. When I read your story's description, I had the impression that the story is about a human pretending terribly to be a pony and fitting in despite their failings with how crazy Ponyville's residents are in comparison. I was pleasantly surprised by your story from the beginning with the starting age of the character and her believable reaction to her experience.

Looking forward to future updates and will be checking out some of your other stories until then.

5852104 Awesome ^^ and, yeah, the summary is weird. Especially because the story almost went in a different direction. I smacked up the RANDOM tag because I'm still not fully sure what to do with it, though, I usually do know with my other stories. This one, you could say, is planned as I type, literally.

5853601 Yeah, the "Random" tag does fit this story. It definitely shows that it is written on the fly, but that might be what gives it its charm.

5853824 I hope so. Part of me wondered why I didn't just keep her the same age mentally. It would have been a cuter story, but this way I can technically go in any direction.

“So, the portal isn’t disappearing, not yet anyway. It will, eventually, but first it must take something with it… uh, everything with it.”

Something is not everything! Everything is a lot more than something! A whole lot more than something! :twilightoops:

“Twilight,” Samantha said, “we need to talk. I've spent the last 60 years searching for your world. So much has happened. The governments of the world have fallen, entire cities consumed in the chaos of this uncontrollable magic pouring in through movie posters everywhere. We have to fight roving bands of mutants just to stock up on canned goods.”
“But you've only been gone for an hour!” :twilightoops:
“Exactly, now do you happen to know any time travel spells that could go back and undo the last half a day or so?”

A the Samantha a cute again.

8191260 I appreciate all the comments and all, I really don't know if I'll ever continue this particular story (I don't ever want to leave stories in limbo, but for this one, I feel like I messed up in a lot of places).

8195878
Well, I felt like you messed up in a few places too, not that it ruins the story or anything, but I can understand why you might want to move on to something else. It's not good to force something, when you end up writing yourself into a corner. Don't think that just because I loved your writing that I'm asking you to continue with this particular story.

Login or register to comment