• Published 11th Jul 2014
  • 3,970 Views, 79 Comments

Sky Pilot - chief maximus



Military psychologists would not take too kindly to a pilot telling them they have a talking, flying, blue horse occasionally living in their house. So until I think of something better, she's a kinda annoying secret.

  • ...
18
 79
 3,970

The Outro (Epilogue)

"Captain Andrews, can you hear me?"

I tried to open my eyes, but they were taped shut. I raised a hand but felt another push it back down. "Woah, take it easy, sir."

Soon after, I got the bandages taken off my eyes and realized I was in a hospital.

"Sir, do you remember what happened? How you got here?"

I shook my head. My mouth was so dry I couldn't say a word. The nurse brought me some water, and I was able to talk again.

The doctor stepped beside my bed. "You were in a training accident. Your aircraft took a very hard landing. You've been in a coma for two weeks."

I recalled everything from before I woke up. I remember living just like I had normally, but most unusually, I remembered her. I remembered the cartoon that brought me back.

But, as soon as I realized I was back in the real world, I had a sad realization. She was gone. She was as she was before. Rainbow Dash was now no more than one of a cast of six in a children's show. Why my subconscious decided she was the best thing to lead me out of a coma, I'll never understand.

I ended up having a few broken ribs and a pretty nasty concussion. I was in the hospital a while longer before I was released. I didn't have to go into work for a few weeks while I recovered back at the homestead, but to be honest, it was strange coming back to an empty house. Before, it had always been empty. Just me and Boris. I looked at my couch and felt a pain in my heart. There was no little blue horse curled up on it.

Upstairs, my spare bedroom was empty, save for the deflated air mattress, not a single blue hair or feather anywhere near it.

After my visitors and well-wishers had left, I sat alone in my living room. I could think of nothing better to do, so I went to my movie collection that had gathered a considerable amount of dust since my accident. As I was scanning through the volumes, I came across The Shining.

I smiled, remembering Rainbow's reactions to it.

Even recalling the time spent with her was kind of depressing. I pulled the case out of the rack, and saw a note scribbled on it in marker.

'That kid is still fucking creepy.'

I sat back on the couch, still holding the cover. I turned on the TV, and found Netflix. I found a show I hadn't watched in quite a while, and flipped it on, starting with the very first episode. Rainbow was just as I remembered her.

I glanced back at the blu-ray case and smiled.

Maybe I am crazy.

But maybe that's okay.

Author's Note:

Yeah so... I dunno why I wrote this. It was more a stream of consciousness that I just sat down and wrote. Some of it came from how I though certain ponies would react to things we humans do every day, and then I realized I couldn't just write a series of random vignettes about them doing stuff we do with us. So I kinda tacked on a back story and made up a guy to narrate. I suppose it's more about how long we'll all be on this crazy ride until it fades into the past as we move on to something else, or after the show goes off the air.

Anyway, hope you got a few laughs out of it.

Comments ( 73 )

Named after a God of War...

.....Ft Campbell really I've been there when I was in Middle School at Dioceses Catholic Children's Home.

Hmmm... I liked it.

TGM

This wouldn't have happened to be inspired by Friday Night Twilight at all would it?

In other news dat ending....mmmmmm

I'd be crushed if I were in his situation too :applecry:

Not bad. Only thing I can point out is that a company commander would pretty much never be in the cockpit except in emergencies or training. They fly a desk when they start getting into command ranks.

Beyond that, good story :twilightsmile:

we're done here.

This has kind of a My Little Dashie vibe to it :twilightsmile:
Lov'd it !

Not the twist that I was expecting. But a really good story.

Can I somehow favorite this twice?

*looks at cover art*
Dash, take that off. You're drunk.

Bravo on another good story my good sir:moustache:

Its no secret that most stories with this basic premise are, to put it politely, complete shit.

Color me literally every shade of surprise when I read this and realize holy shit this is actually really really good

Edit: I went to follow you for this story, and saw who you were and that I was already following you. You are convincing me that you can't write a bad story

.......cool and what?

Gave me a small case of the feels.:ajbemused: I hate the feels!

Damn nigga you pumping out story's faster than Ramses II running to Kadesh when he found out Muwatalli II and the Hittite's weren't there. And believe me that's fast but I doubt you would run into an ambush like that nigga did.

It reminds me a little of The Pony in my Pocket with less pockets and more pony.

The line about a single Captain with lots of student loan debt made me wonder a few things. If it's been three years since he came back from Afghanistan, then he's been in the military at least a few years longer than that for flight school and whatnot. His time in service pay plus his O3 base pay, aviation pay, housing allowance and such adds up to a not unreasonable salary. Not to mention the tax benefits of being in a combat zone. He also didn't sound like the kind of guy who spent money on things like parties. His townhouse might be expensive, but mortgage rates are generally lower than student loans.

Of course I'm probably overthinking it.

Arn

Thank you for the short story with a completed ending!:pinkiehappy:

4681226 I'm glad I'm not the only one that notices this kind of thing.

4681226

To say nothing of the part where Uncle Sam picks up the tab when he signs on the dotted line. Student loan repayment is a a fairly common bullet point for those officer types.

Also, totally suppressing the urge to call some guys in my old unit back at Campbell to find out what D 1-101's commanders name is. I did two tours supporting No Mercy back in the day.

4681226 let's say this guy has upwards of 100k debt because he foolishly went to a private university and went to OCS after he graduated.

4681039 dem ancient civilization references.

4681607 Can't argue with that. Can't find any military inaccuracy, either.

Well, Didn't see that coming great job!

You need MOAAARRRR damnit!!!

For a story that started as a way to tie together some funny vignettes, this really felt cohesive. The outro tied it together really, really well. Not overwrought, it had the right amount of sadness and hopefulness to it.

not good, not bad... I liked a little, but not to much.

CCC

Well, that was an interesting twist...

I don't like Rainbow dash, but I love this story and somehow look past my hatred and find the cover art super fucking adorable.

Sir, I hope you realize that the 101st Airborne unit is a Paratroop unit, meaning that they parachute into a combat situation in order to provide any help. There fore, they don't have helicopter pilots.:scootangel:

4684943 they do. It's called the 101 Combat Aviation Brigade (CAB)

That was a nice little read, the only thing i'm left wondering is why his subconscious decided to chose dash to hang around during his coma.

Never read a human story. Probably never will after I read this, but you've intrigued me with the description, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

I didn't sniffle. I didn't let a single manly tear escape. I definitely didn't cry like Fluttershy did when she thought she had lost Celestia's phoenix.

But there was one thing I did do. One thing I did while writing this comment that I don't really ever like to do.

I lied.

Woah... that ending... :rainbowderp:

Missing story tags:
Comedy - because I laughed my ass off while reading this story.
Sad - because. . . Um. Nothing! I didn't cry! Because guys can't cry, it's against the rules written on their manly card. . . Shit, they've come for it! You see what you did? You made me give up my manly card to a story that isn't even labeled "Sad". Something has to be done to fix this. . .


Oh, and good story!

4684943

The 101st hasn't been an airborne division in decades. They switched to helicopter-borne operations in Vietnam (first called Airmobile and now Air Assault). They retain the 'Airborne' designation in recognition of their service in WWII.

And yeah, they have a Combat Aviation Brigade, too.

4685777

Are you serious?

4685804 Yes, no. I can hack you. (Says every six year old kid) nah, you guys cool:rainbowkiss:

4685830

Yeah, sure, whatever. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't respond to some friendly dialogue with an insult towards my country, especially considering I serve in its armed forces (as does the author).

I'd rather not clutter up Bronius' comment section, so if you have anything else to say, you may PM me.

4685864 Bro, I respect you. (No sarcasm) My dad and him before him served. But, I crack jokes, that's what I do.

Here you go:rainbowlaugh: This is funny. I'm sorry for hurting your feels, my good sir.:scootangel:

4685907

I can literally taste the panic oozing out of your post as you realize 4685864 is not having any of your unfunny shit, it's epic

4685864

[post where I call you "good sir" repeatedly and gratuitously suck up to you for being in the military like a dog humping a guy's leg]

Sorry, I just hate it when people treat members of the military to a 20 minute speech about how much they love x branch of the armed forces because it was Counter Strike instead of, you know, just buying them a fucking beer or something.

4684295

I only clicked on it because of the cover art. I'm going to upvote it because of the cover art. Well, that and the story. You know how rare it is for me to upvote a story with the human tag? I can't remember the last time I did it.

4685804

Why didn't you post the Navy Seal copypasta here?

4681607

Hey, I also have a huge shitload of debt! :pinkiehappy: I can totally relate to this character!

:raritydespair: fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck :raritydespair: :raritydespair: :raritydespair: :raritydespair:

4686059 As a military person, I would love to be bought beer.

4686059 Sir, I have delt with worst people than my good friend 4685725. But, I see where you come from, my friend. :pinkiehappy: You seem like good person!

stupid onion cutting ninjas

4686059

Dammit, I was too tired to think of the Navy Seal copypasta! :raritydespair: It was just my standard "what the fuck?" reaction.

By the way, beer and gratuitous leg humping are appreciated. :rainbowwild:

Login or register to comment