• Published 30th Apr 2014
  • 2,505 Views, 43 Comments

Aunt Fleur - Starlight Shadow



Twist's aunt comes to visit for the day, and they get to talking.

  • ...
4
 43
 2,505

Dahling

Twist kept her face pressed to the window, her glasses threatening to break. Any second now, her aunt Fleur de Lis would come up the short dirt drive. Any second now, she would knock three times on the door. Any second now, she would officially be here.

Any second now...

Knock, knock, knock.

Twist tore down the stairs and down the hallway, stopping right at the door. Throwing it open revealed a tall pink unicorn mare. "Twist, dahling!" Fleur laughed, sweeping her niece into a hug. "Oh, it is so good to see my favorite niece. How long has it been? Bon Bon?" She peered into the kitchen, Twist still clinging to her.

"It's only been a week, Fleur." Bon Bon laughed. "Still nice to see you, though. I have ginger snaps in the oven, we'll have those after dinner if that's alright with you."

"That would be lovely." Fleur smiled one of her beautiful actress smiles. Twist was always the tiniest bit envious of her aunt. How pretty she was, how nice she was to everypony, how nopony made fun of her ever. She then felt sad. What if her aunt didn't like her anymore, because she liked Apple Bloom...like that? Twist didn't know what she'd do if that happened. Aunt Fleur was awesome.

Fleur glanced down at Twist, concern gracing her features. "Are you alright, dearest? You seem a bit down."

Twist glanced up at her aunt, forcing a smile. "No, nothingth's wrong. I'm fine."

Fleur frowned. "Dahling, something's wrong, I've been an actress long enough to tell. You know what, let's go up to your room, and you can tell me all about everything that's happened since I saw you last." She looked to Bon Bon for confirmation, who nodded. The two headed upstairs to Twist's room.

Her room was small and neat, with a dresser, bed, desk, and bookshelf. The works. Twist hopped onto her bed and gestured for her aunt to join her.

"Hey, where'th Uncle Fanthy?" Twist asked.

"He's busy, dearest; he really wanted to come with me and see you. He says hello, by the way." Fleur pulled Twist into a hug almost absently, a shadow of sadness passing over her face. It quickly vanished, however, and her eyes shone with excitement as she turned to her niece.

"So, what's been happening?"

Twist opened her mouth to speak, then closed it again, thinking for a moment. She opened it again, only to close it. This repeated for a minute before Fleur broke the silence.

"Twist, you know you can tell me anything."

"IkisthedAppleBloomlasthweekandnowe'rekindofthortofinarelationship!" Twist said in one big breath. "I-I was worried-"

"That I'd be upset with you? That I'd think any differently of you? Twist, dahling, that's simply ridiculous!" Fleur began to mess with Twist's curly red hair in her magic as she spoke. "Some ponies in Canterlot might be that ignorant, but I'm not one of them."

Twist relaxed. "I'm justh...thcared. I'm really, really thcared."

"You have every right to be, dahling." Her aunt said gently. "Discovering one's sexuality is always scary. But you need to look fear in the face, and overcome it. And remember, you'll always have this..."

"Apple Bloom." Twist supplied.

"Apple Bloom, to help you every step of the way." Fleur smiled. Twist hugged her.

"Thank you, Aunt Fleur."

"It's no trouble at all, sweetness." Fleur gave her a small peck on the cheek. "Was there anything else bothering you?"

"Well..." Twist's ears flopped in sadness. "I..."

"Yes?" Fleur asked, her tone soft and sweet.

Twist fidgeted a bit as she spoke. "I'm worried that I'm not good enough for Apple Bloom. She'th pretty, she'th smart, she'th a natural leader, and her acthent's kinda cute." Twist blushed. "While I'm not pretty, nowhere near the thmartetht, and I've got thith dumb lithp."

"Twist, stop that right now." Fleur's purple eyes flickered with intensity. "You're a lovely little girl, cute as a button, you're very smart if your grades are anything to go off of, and your lisp is adorable. And if Apple Bloom returns your feelings, then she thinks you are a suitable partner, and you're both happy. The end. A real lover will care more about the size of your heart than the size of your dress." Fleur pulled Twist into a tight hug. "Remember that."

"I will, Aunt Fleur." Twist said fervently, her eyes closed as she returned the hug. "I will."

"Good." Fleur smiled. "And if this Apple Bloom ends up breaking your heart, then she'll have some explaining to do."

Twist laughed. "She'd never do that. She'th amazthing."

"I'll bet she is." Fleur's smile became softer, the smile of someone who was looking back on a fond memory. "You know, when I met your uncle, I was just like you." She booped her niece gently on the nose. "A lily who had yet to bloom."

"Really?" Twist's eyes went wide with interest.

"Yes indeed, dahing." Fleur brushed aside a lock of her mane as she recalled the tale. "I was at a dance, just sitting there all alone, and Fancy Pants comes and starts a conversation with me. For no reason! It wasn't on a dare, it wasn't because he pitied me, he came and talked to me simply because he wanted to be nice. We talked, and we danced, and then I guess the rest is history. Let that be a lesson to you, Twist. Lilies who think they'll never bloom always become the most beautiful flowers."

"Lilies who think they'll never bloom always become the most beautiful flowers." Twist repeated. She was going to write that down.

"Dinner!" Bon Bon shouted up the stairs.

Fleur turned to Twist. "Better go downstairs."

The two headed down for dinner. They had pasta and greens, one of Twist's favorites, but she barely noticed. She was still mulling over everything that Aunt Fleur had told her. She still wasn't entirely convinced she was pretty, but she would bloom one day. She knew it.

After they said goodbye to Aunt Fleur when she left at nine o' clock, Twist ran up to her room. Tearing out a scrap of paper from her notebook, she took a pink pen and wrote what Aunt Fleur had said in her best flowery script. Taking a piece of tape from her desk, she managed to get the piece of paper to stay on the wall.

"Lilies who think they'll never bloom always become the most beautiful flowers."

Author's Note:

You know who never gets any stories? Twist.

You know who needs more stories? Twist.

You know who is on a personal crusade to write those stories? Me.

Comments ( 43 )

Haven't even read it yet, already faved it. HEADCANON ACCEPTED!

Dear lordy lord, two fics in one day. You're making feel ashamed.

4318370 Well, the first one bombed.

4318376 But still ... Cranking them out...

But I'll see to it my next story will surpass expectations! Nopony can resist the ship that is Spikiara!
lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CqYYAqfVQew/U1se2i_zfbI/AAAAAAAABqk/ytJmso1fT6Y/w426-h240/Spike%2Band%2BDiamond.png
NOPONY!

I have a new ship now...

Does this mean that Fleur is Bon Bon's older sister?

4318487 Fleur is a few months older, yes.

4318489 Okay. Bon bon... Fleur... I'm sensing a theme. First off, Fleur means "flower" in French, and Bon bon is a kind of French candy. I think you just combined two of my favorite things in your fic.
Food and the French language. :pinkiehappy:

Sad to see Twist so scared about how others will see her if she comes out.
Is something wrong with Fleur and Fancy by the way?

4318508 Maybe. We'll never know, will we? :raritywink:

4318516
Will we?
WILL WE???
Why are you doing this to me?:raritydespair:

4318393 i for one cannot wait for that one :heart:

4318540
Curse you :flutterrage:
So, what's up next on the agenda? :twilightsmile:

4318566 I may or may not have a story in the works about what's going on with Fleur and Fancy in this very continuity...

I don't know whether to hate this or to make this a guilty pleasure. :twilightoops: (Mostly because you're shipping Applebloom with Twist and I only ship Twist with Featherweight.)

4318527 Soon ... soon my friend. Also, I'll pm you a link when I'm done with the first draft so you could point out weak points for me.

4318584 sounds like a plan Shirly Imnohtkiddeng :twistnerd: good story btw, Starry :raritystarry::heart:

4318592 My name's not Stan. It's Shirly, Shirly Imnohtkiddeng

Wonderful story.

Also, if you replace Twist with Fleur in the author's notes (and use the me to refer to me instead of you), you have what I'm doing. Of course, I always love seeing underappreciated characters getting more love, even if they're characters I'm not a fan of.

This is so sweet!! <3 Ooh...sorry I meant tweet. :twistnerd:

Bravo! :twilightsmile: That was such a sweet story.

I like the idea of Fleur being Bon Bon's sister and Twist's niece (is Bon Bon Twist's mother?). Headcanon accepted! (Even though I don't ship TwistXApple Bloom)

Very sweet, cute little story. Really like the idea of these two being related, honestly. I'll have to read the stories that came before this sometime. :twilightsmile:

She is definitely an underrated character. Would be great to see a longer fic starring her.

This was a bit bland, but definitely enjoyable to read once.

Finally read it -- and it was too cute. :rainbowkiss:

Aww yeah, what a sweet little story. *squees a bit*
You´re right. Twist defs need more stories.

D'aww (x11) you made me do that, twelve times! 12! Ahhh!

You know who is on a personal crusade to write those stories? Me.

You have my sword :rainbowdetermined2:

I accept this head canon! And I think I've read the fic with Fancy and Fleur at the dance!

you have to do a sequel to this, with a bit more of twists relationship with applebloom.:twistnerd:

4318393

Oh, good heavens, I LOL'd all over that pic! It's perked my interest...or would that be peaked? Peeked? I'm interested! I'll be reading this fic forthwith.

4326210 Sadly, that fic of mine isn't out yet.

ok after reading lilies and now this im convenced that i when in the mirror pool and my clone was some how fleur-de-lis and then my memory was erased :trollestia:
no but seriously im just like her i would say close to the same things :pinkiesmile:

i love your take on her character :raritywink:

You know who never gets any stories? Twist.
You know who needs more stories? Twist.
You know who is on a personal crusade to write those stories? Me.

I approve! :twistnerd:

Twist has a lisp. A lisp means sounds with "c" and "s" generally would be written out with a "t" in them (unless c makes a k sound). However, Twitht manageth to thay Fancy Pants without it coming out ath Fanthy Pants. And something is wrong with that.

I loved this. I loved how Fleur had so much wisdom and comfort in her consultation with Twist. Hope to see more Twist stories from you.:twilightsmile:

I agree with you that twist needs more stories. I love this story. 10 mustache :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:




:twistnerd:

Thank you so much! Twist is a big favorite (I actually used her as a reaction image when I first came out to my best friend, coincidentally), and after (blushes) getting a date with the coolest girl in the multiverse and waiting for the hook to drop at any point (what do you mean it can't be as simple as "You love Cute Girl Is Cute and she actually loves you and you're awake"), I really needed this this week.:heart::twistnerd:

Login or register to comment