• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 3,202 Views, 478 Comments

Temple of the Stars - OrphiusOlyandra



Luna drags Gilda and Trixie on an adventure to discover her forgotten past. And start a war... Maybe

  • ...
10
 478
 3,202

Sequel

So here it is, the totally unnecessary sequel where we see if y1 and I will finally kill each other or not. Catch all the action over this way in the brand new fic Behind Closed Doors.

Oh yeah, and it features Gilda-Trixie being sappy, Luna being... well... Luna, Vinyl Scratch being whatever the heck is and changelings 'cause changelings and our edittor loves changelings. So yeah. Find the summary below:

With the recent collapse of the Aviana, capital of the Gryphon Kingdom, refugees have been flooding into Equestria and with it, a host of racial issues. Toss in some changelings messing around in the background and it's a bomb just waiting to go off. With tensions on the rise, Gilda finds herself being dragged back into middle of the conflict by none other than Princess Luna. This time though, Gilda knows better and with her new found relationship with Trixie, she is willing to do anything and everything to get out of helping out. Unfortunally, one does not mess with a Princess, especially not the Princess of the Night.

Also, check out Conviction by y1 which deals with the actual world he created (and these fics take place in), where he goes into Slight and the nightkin during the period Celly vs NMM took place and the immediate aftermath of Celestia winning. It's really damn good, so go read it (Help! I'm being held hostage, save meeee).

Comments ( 27 )

2335082 heh well its a lot better than using buck for a swear...drives me nuts i know its a small thing:facehoof:

What the...how does such a gigantic story only have 82 upvotes? What is this blasphemous injustice? :flutterrage:

2716991 Quality, not quantity! Or so they say
2717083 :rainbowlaugh: That is a perfect description of her in this fic actually.

2722684
Wait, really? We bickered that much? Huh. I'm surprised we're both still alive then.

And yeah, odd pacing everywhere, we probably changed elements multiple times, but we both feel as though the character interactions are the highlight of this fic. I mean, it was fun working on this as well because of the characters. They just bounced off each other so well and... well, yeah. They're dysfunctional, they're crazy, but it somehow works. And I'll be honest, the character interaction was the sole reason why we decided to write a sequel. Nothing else.

Like I say Gilda-Trixie OTP:heart: Though Gilda-NMM is a very close second.

Thanks! I appreciate your kind words (and I'm sure y1 does as well). The sequel will hopefully be just as good if not better.

Y1

2722684
86.1? Really? Huh. I thought it would have been more than that. :raritywink: The bickering is part of the package deal. You get the story update every week, and the authors acting like children all for the low low price of a fave and a thumbs up! :ajsmug: It's a limited time offer you don't want to miss out on!

The things coming out of left field was mostly down to Orphius enjoying dropping things on me during the writing. Seriously, every single romantic advance on Gilda was as unexpected for you as it was for me.

But yeah, the three bitchkateers were definitely the highlight of this story I think. There's a flair and drive to their interactions that makes it hard to hate them. When we were writing this it soon became apparent that the most fun thing in this story was just having these characters in a room and unabashedly being themselves. I mean, we spent three chapters in a freaking basement with them talking, and I don't know how that was to read, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to write.

My feelings on the sequel are actually pretty mixed. I've had a lot of fun writing but oh god, the pacing is even worse somehow! Seriously, wait till you get to later chapters and you'll see what I mean.

Shameless self plug time: If you liked this, consider checking out Conviction. It's darker than this, and less funny, but I think it's a more... complete story than this. Very different tonally, but Nightmare Moon's in it, and she's always cool. This story shares a setting with Conviction, and a lot of the events of Conviction get hinted at in this story.

2725559
Yeah, the pacing is worse, but I mean, it is more slice-of-life than this one so it'd naturally have a slower pace

2744942
I think you're the first person to describe it as intense. I'm glad you've enjoyed it so much though and that it provoked such a reaction from you. Things do get darker, but there are also a lot of fluffy, very light hearted sections coming up as well. Like, sickening sweet sections if you can believe it.

Luna/NMM was interesting to write because I needed to get that whole archaic feeling across while making her seem like a pony that should be hated, but also like a fish out of water in may respects. I'm glad it worked though.

I'll let y1 talk about Gilda (if he has time to reply).

If you found this hard to read, I would only suggest you read Cusp of Dawn and Transcending Legends. The second one is pure romance fluff so no need to worry and the first one is a short one shot AU.

Y1

2744942
Honestly, this is probably one of the lightest, and least intense things I've ever written. If it's too much for you as it is, I don't recommend you continue. There's a lot more light and fluffy stuff ahead, but there's also a lot more dark stuff too. If you do decide to read ahead, be sure to drop another comment.

Gilda's an interesting character to write, and I'm glad you picked up on what makes her both likable and frustrating.

As for reading more of our stories... I'm not sure I recommend it. Both Orphius and I are primarily dark writers. Someone once described my current story, Conviction, as 'viciously intense', and Orphius' stories are pretty much more of that. Especially Breaking Twilight.

2755807 I don't drink so I wouldn't know. So, I shall lay the blame on y1 entirely. And Doom.

2757624 Assuming y1 is a Fallout fan, I'd bet on it, but I wouldn't know.

2792311 Gilda is the most adorable gryphon ever, calling it now.

2821569
Yes! Luna was super fun to write, we basically decided to take the whole idea of her not adjusting to the modern times and taking that to the extreme. A bit of what she says is bluffing, but most of it isn't. It's straight up 'this is how things used to work' and applying them to now and is meant to be jarring, but in character for who she is. NMM on the other hand was me taking that even further since in my mind, she's the perversion of the night. As a result she's more sexualised, more secrative, more explosively dark, etc. Neither of them are nice people and Gilda is rather right in her assessment of Luna in many ways.

As for the lack of descriptions, that's probably the result of us getting caught up in the character interaction so much more than anything else. Just having that constant back and forth discussion is so much fun. But, it is something we noticed ourselves and something we have taken steps to correcting.

Update?! Sequel !? eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :yay:

2884277 The pointless sequel where crap happens. Basically, an excuse for y1 and I to muck about some more

2884294 If it turns out to be anything resembling the muck you two wrote for Temple of the Stars, then I will be watching it Like a hawk :pinkiecrazy: (needs a gilda emoticon but anyway)

So you have been selected to be the recipient of a very random poem-ish-type-thing. I guess I came up with it because I was thinking about this fic, sorry :facehoof:

Cut sky, seared flesh
Luna, why make such a mess

:trixieshiftright::trixieshiftleft::pinkiecrazy:

2884351
Very similar I'd like to think. It's less adventure and more down to earth and dealing with the aftermath of the collapse of Aviana, as well as the introduction of nightkin into society. We have a better idea of what we want to do this time around so hopefully the pacing will be better. Maybe. Nah, who am I kidding?

Because Luna is a mad little filly?

2935243 And people say I'm evil

Interesting.... :moustache:

This story is so awesome and beautiful, it's hard to tell which chapter is my favorite. I'm eager to start reading Behind Closed Doors as soon as possible.



Also, this song describes Luna and Nightmare Moon so much.

P.S. Shame on me for waiting so long to read this.

Saw your replies earlier before I had to go for work, but didn't get a chance to answer at the time, so I'll do it all now.

4689777
It's been ages since I've written that scene so I'm going to go out on a limb and say the sword was probably being wielded by telekenesis, but considering why they're fighting to begin with (a friendly spar), I doubt Luna would go out of her way to use the telekenetic reach to pose such an unfair advantage. If anything, she'd deliberately limit herself in order to have more 'fun'. At the same time, I think what I meant was that with Gilda so close to Luna, it takes away any extra reach Luna might have been using to keep Gilda at bay. I think. Like I said, it's been a while.

4708553
You'll have to ask y1 about that one (since he writes Gilda), but I assume Gilda's looking over her shoulder and muttering as she does so. Oddly worded though.

4712486
Trixie-Gilda OTP
Once again, ask y1, not that I think he remembers anymore. From my vague memory, I believe it was some secret training thing that Gilda ran away from thus the lack of questioning (since it was never meant to have occurred) or something like that.

4712708
I'm gonna assume it was the blades that were damaged, but the hilt is fine (once again, ask y1).

After much searching on Google and YouTube, I have yet to come across any Live Readings, Audio Books, or Audio Dramas based on this story. I find that more than a little annoying. *Sigh* There are so many fics ahead of this on my To Read list... But with a sequel out, perhaps I should bump this one ahead a bit...

4712855

ask y1

How? The link you provided is dead.

...right. You said Y1, not Y1fellas. Nevermind. :facehoof:

The Y1fellas link is still dead though. You really should do something about that. :applejackconfused:

5367766
Note the edited comment. Turns out I'm already following Y1. :twilightblush:

The broken link in the story description is still an issue, though. (\:applejackconfused:/)

5367790 :facehoof: I just noticed it myself

Login or register to comment