• Published 14th May 2023
  • 4,820 Views, 1,423 Comments

Eclipse - Hiver



Page is stuck. He never wanted to be a Prince. Ponies plot against him. Mostly for his own good.

  • ...
17
 1,423
 4,820

Chapter 56

My ear flicked at the sound of hoofsteps against the wooden floor, pulling me from my barely asleep state. I wasn’t sure how long it had been, but I could feel sunlight through my closed eyes, so it couldn’t have been all day.

I recognized those hoofsteps.

They stopped not quite beneath me. “Hey,” Sunset said quietly.

“Hey,” I answered without moving.

“...Could you come down here, please?”

I forced my eyes open and blinked down at her in the piercing bright light. Sunset looked tired, and I could tell she had been crying. But the sun shimmered in her slightly mussed mane and on her coat.

She didn’t look angry, just tired.

Wrapping myself in a teleport field, I deposited myself standing in front of her.

“That’s new,” she said quietly. “Changing your position when teleporting is kinda advanced.”

“I did learn some stuff while away with Celestia; it wasn’t quite just flirting,” I admitted, eyes half-closed against the glare of the sun. “Refining my teleporting was one of them. My range and speed still aren’t the best as I can’t dump enough power into it.”

Sunset nodded and then glanced around before her horn lit, and a dome of darkness covered us. Not a full one, only leaving us in semi-darkness even to a Day Pony, but it allowed me to open my eyes fully.

“Thanks,” I told her before I sighed. “Sunset, look, I’m-”

She raised her hoof and put it against my lips. “Page, please. Let me say what I want to say first.”

I swallowed and nodded, trying not to show exactly how much that sentence terrified me.

Sunset sat down and looked into my eyes. “It hurt me, Page,” she said quietly. I swallowed again and sat down as well.

“But I also understand what you mean,” she continued softly. “Especially after having talked it through with Luna and Twilight. I don’t blame you for feeling like that.”

I shook my head. “I-I’m sorry, Sunset. I should have put that so much better.”

She actually gave me a slight smile. “I did kinda spring it on you, didn’t I?”

“A bit. But still.”

Sunset shook her head slightly and then moved a bit closer, looking into my eyes. “Page. One day… you will lose me.”

“No.”

She put her hoof against my chest. “Yes, you will,” she said gently but firmly, eyes not leaving mine. “You are an alicorn. I’m a unicorn. I know it will hurt; I know exactly how much it will hurt because when I found out you had been hit, it felt like the arrow had pierced me and not you.”

I clenched my jaw and looked at her seriously. “No, Sunset. I will not. No matter what, I wo-”

She looked into my eyes, and I broke off, finding that I could no longer speak. Nor see, really, as everything was shifting colors through tears.

Sunset shifted closer, resting her head against my neck, and I clung to her. Likely too tightly, but she didn’t protest.

“You will,” she repeated softly against my neck. “It’s what ponies do. Even alicorns, eventually. We have seen proof of that.”

I just clung to her for a long time before I slowly let go to look into her eyes, trying to blink mine clear. Sunset reached up to gently brush her hoof across my eyes. “Luna explained things,” she told me gently. “The fear of losing me was folded into the foals.”

“...In that case, I suppose she knew me better than I did,” I admitted. “She’s likely right though. I… Oh, Luna… losing you, Sunset… or Celestia or Luna or Twilight, it would… buck, it would destroy me.”

Sunset's hoof touched my cheek gently, and she brushed her lips against mine. “And me as well,” she said softly. “Like when I lost my parents. But after it all, I’m still here.”

I stroked her side with my wing. “I’m sorry I hurt you. I never wanted to make you cry.”

Sunset smiled softly. “I know. I could have handled that a lot better as well.”

“...Had this talk with Twilight yet?” I asked after a moment.

She sighed softly and then nodded. “We did. It went… slightly better. Before you and I got together.”

“Well, Sparks always was the smarter of us,” I admitted.

Sunset smiled a bit and bumped my nose with hers. “Only slightly better.”

I nodded and hugged her tightly again, nosing at her ear. “...On the subject of foals…”

Sunset broke the hug and looked up at me. “I won’t do that to you,” she told me seriously. “Nor to Twi, who it would hit just as hard.”

“But you still want foals.”

“I do,” Sunset agreed with a small smile. “But just as my foals would have been just as much Twi’s, Twi’s foals will also be mine.”

“Oh.”

Sunset smiled. “As an added upside, it would let me skip the more unpleasant parts, which… is not an unattractive idea, if I'm to be completely honest,” she admitted.

I slowly nodded. “...Now?”

Sunset smiled and shook her head. “Twi says she isn’t ready yet. But I could tell that she was thinking seriously about it, and you know how she is.”

“I do,” I admitted, nosing at her mane. “Lists, research, and checklists.”

“Exactly,” Sunset said with a small grin against my neck as I held her.

I stroked her coat for several moments before I spoke up quietly again. “...You know it might not even be possible, right? I mean, we have been careful, but not that careful.”

“I know,” Sunset said with a small sigh. “And even if Cadance helps with spells, it might not be possible still. Flurry might just have been because Cadance is Cadance. If that’s reality, then that’s how it is.”

I nodded and looked down at her.

Sunset looked up at me in turn. “And you should realize that just because it’s Twi, Luna, or even Celestia, it would not guarantee an alicorn. Even earth ponies with no other tribes mixed in for generations can have unicorns or pegasus foals.”

I swallowed and then nodded. “I know. But if it works, the odds are a lot better.”

Sunset nodded in turn and gave me a small nuzzle. “Come back to bed, Page. It’s so late, and I think all of us have an early evening.”

I nodded and gave her a small kiss. “I’m sorry for hurting you, Sunny. I never wanted to do that.”

“I forgive you, you silly bat,” Sunset laughed softly and gave me a small kiss back. “Let’s go to bed.”

Author's Note:

And that's it for now! I think we should leave page for a bit before he tries to cram any more hooves into his mouth.

Thank you all for reading and more will follow in the future. :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 82 )

Thank you for another wonderful volume of Page goodness.
I shall eagerly await the next one.

And finally.


Nice

Thanks for your work. It was very enjoyable:pinkiehappy:. Until later.

Thanks for the story! A lot of warmth and a little reality check for the Page : ) It's good that Cadence is already engaged, he looks at alicorns as pokemon, all will be collected : )

A fantastic story, thank you very much!

11658487
You forget, Shinny isn't immortal, so who do you think she will turn to for comfort when it's his time?

Awesome work, Hiver! Thanks a lot for sharing it with us.

Hacofo #9 · Aug 5th, 2023 · · 1 ·

Oh come on… :raritycry:
I mean it’s a pretty satisfying endpoint but still. How can it end here.

Thank you for another entertaining chapter in the life of Page.

Looking forward to the next. 😊

MEANWHILE AT THE JUNGLE PYRAMID...

Statue: :fluttershbad: Noooo...it can't end here.

Discord: :unsuresweetie: Sorry buddy. The Great Hiver has spoken.

Statue: :raritydespair: But I had a great date in mind. Candlelight dinner...proposal for power...the Alicorn Amulet! It would have been perfect! Let me be evil!!

Discord: :moustache: It wasn't meant to be but don't worry. You'll always have a lovely home in the comment section of Hiver's stories. Especially for the future since Neighsay can no longer be relied on for easy gags. :scootangel:

Statue: Oh that makes me SO happy. :ajbemused:

Discord: Good to know! :trollestia: Well I'm off to the Abyss with Windy. GOODBYE COMMENT SECTION! See you all next time!

...DISCORD JUMPS INTO THE ABYSS LEAVING THE STATUE SULKING OVER ITS DESTINY...

(Windy here! It's been fun! Stay safe and see you all on the next Hiver adventure!)

Thanks for the chapter! :pinkiehappy:

If any within the heard has a foal I honestly hope that it’s not an alicorn. It’s like Faye said in GOWR “the culmination of love is grief”!

He needs to learn to let go, to appreciate the time that he has rather than feeling hurt over what has been lost. Obviously there will be some grieving but that only means that he loved fully and in the end they all will be stronger for it.

Have a great day! :moustache:

It's good to see Page and Sunny make up, and it is a good point to end on, but the story does feel a bit short in the overall.

I mean, there has still been no real discussion. A recap:

Sunset, immediately after waking Page up: I want foals
Page: Bluhhhh?
Sunset: Rarr you dick!

A bit later:

Sunset: It's cool now don't worry.

Ridiculous that Sunset apparently spends more time discussing it off Page with others than a 30 second convo she had with him.

Why don't two adults actually act like adults and have a rational discussion? Why the drama if it's resolved in 5 seconds? What was the point other than making them look like idiots?

11658582
Herd rules. Technically they are all his wives. Remember they are ponies not humans and although they act similar doesn't make them exactly the same.

Heavy chapter but I liked it. I have a feeling that in next arc we'll see Page's spawn running around the village. I hope Hiver writes parenting like he does herding and politics

Complete? We didn't get anywhere near 69!
This is my official complaint about to few Snuggelbugs in this story specifically.
Come on Hiver...
Chrysalis & Skitter are waiting for years instory time and us readers in real life to see Blank Page Alicorn of Stories, reality warping dream walked, creator of the Minecraft server Dream Sanctuary, slayer of Tirek the magic devoured, Savior of the Canterlot Hive, conquer of the Jungle Hive, liked by many Griffons Alicorn, accomplished writer of the Jedi series and Terminator, secret clop writer for Celestia, savior of Thestral kind, honorary member of the Canterlot Hive, defender of the Canterlot Hive, future seed giver of the Hive! ( Zeezzkekeezzkzk )
Founder of Nocturnis, Alpha-Stud of Luna!
Did I forget a titel worth mentioning?

Yet he still has not hold his word given to Skitter and Chrysalis!
Also the Hive still waits for its donations of the great seed giver...

I wonder what is still on the to do list?
- Grogar
- Changling-Hives that are wild and hungry for the Canterlot and Crystal City Hive swarms love storages and their success.
- Getting some laws made by Celestia as long the Nobility is still in uproar.
- The Canterlot Queen demanding satisfaction because of a promise unfulfilled, to be payed reparation in form of Larve created of his seed within the Queen nurturing peace between Changeling kind and Pony foodsource allies.
- Did we have the Yeti in eye?
Since he is still alive I can see him invading Abesinian or the Hypogriffon nation...
- Sombras return?
- Celestia and Luna having a beach vacation with Blank Page and coming back 2 foals in baking?
- ... You know Hiver... There is one plot point you might have forgotten...
THE FLUTTERPONY INVASION
:yay:
:derpytongue2::trollestia:

But the wedding of Blank Page & Luna to Celestia will be a kingdoms spanning event!

Chrysalis disguised as Thorax:
"I have waited with great patience for grand Larve little Predator...":twilightangry2:

Amber:
"This will end in trouble...":raritydespair:

Chrysalis turning back to herself:
"I have given enough chances for him to add to the swarm willingly!" :trixieshiftleft:

Amber:
"Here we gooo." :facehoof:

Chrysalis:
"You have almost died 5 times by now, even within a mortal lifespan this is absurd, there for I will harvest you for my own... If grandlarve are not on the table, daughters will be~♤"

Amber:
"To be fair... I see no flow in that logic, a alpha stud not making offspring needs... C~o~n~v~i~n~c~i~n~g "

Discord in Chaos valley:
"This is where the fun begins~♤"

Skitter:
"Initiative Snuggelbugs engaged, time to Snuggelbugs the Tarterus out of Zeezzkekeezzkzk!"

11658584
I just re-read the entire series, that isn't mentioned anywhere... More like a head canon thing.
11658478
True, but we didn't even get close to chapter 69 :raritycry:
11658480
Not really :fluttercry:
No chapter 69, to few Snuggelbugs at all in this sequel of the story, Blank Page as still not fullfilled his promises and Zeezzkekeezzkzk still has not fullfilled his duties to the Hives, pony or Ling...
11658487
Got to catch em all :rainbowlaugh:
In time... ~♡
11658501
But it would be perfect with mire snuggeling or Snuggelbugs content :raritydespair:
11658508
Not a singel Derpy scene in the hole story :fluttercry:
11658509
A Griffon? No wait, a Hypogriffon! Or will it be...
Discord?!:pinkiegasp:
11658517
Indeed a good addition, yet the Snuggelbugs factor was sooo minor :fluttershbad:
11658535
This... I will miss the most :fluttercry:
11658540
:duck:Not - enough - Snuggelbugs scenes :applecry:
11658549
Indeed :applejackunsure:
Very disturbing is the Snuggelbugs lack of content, the Changelings almost didn't existed here at all...
11658572
Off screen situation fixing is really very... Convenient :trixieshiftright:

11658549
I think Hiver said he’d combined a few chapters to make them longer. Which is nice, the last book had a few chapters too small to be bite sized.

11658604
Herds are mentioned earlier in the series. Plus you are expected to understand that sort of thing. Around when sunset and page first got together.

11658604
Very much so. We include Thorax and then just ignore that fact, and NO SKITTER!

Heavy topic with no easy answer. Love to see it every now and then. Sunset is still putting Page’s and Twilight’s feelings above her own. What if Twilight (or Luna’s or Celestia’s) foals aren’t Alicorns? Surely then this decision would have been made in vain. As with any close relationship between mortal and immortal couldn’t it be worth it? Celestia has apparently had foals before. Adopted or by other herd members. Prince Blueblood is descended proof of that.
Looking forward to see this explored in the future.
And as always, Thanks for the story! I love the way you present these characters. :)

Congrats! One more thank you for this.

11658621
Exactly!
- Thorax is added for nothing.
- Skitter is missing in content.
- Amber was sufficient, yet not insistent.
- Chrysalis wasn't nearly scheming enough, not even any plan to poisen the attack on her beloved little Predator, the future of her Hive!
- Fern and Fluttershy are comment section fun at best.
- Finally Celestia got added to the herd, but I can't recall a present like Luna got with the necklaces.
- Starlight Glimmer... A hoovenote at best despite being important in past and present...

At least the Griffon content was very nice. Wonder what happened to the old king daughter? She wanted to see the world, may she be a interesting Nocturnis visitor!

Once again Hiver you make a great story for us all and end it off on a good note. What happens next though? Guess we’ll have to wait and find out. Great job man

11658535
Comment section:
"Unti we meet again..."
*ominous laughter is to hear*

It was a hell of a fun in the comment section thanks, im off to other stories comment section.
Maybe give the storyline a re-reading from the very start, it quite the joyride :raritywink:
Text to speech for the win ♡

11658625
Fern? That must've been way back in another story because I don't remember that.

This whole series of stories have been enjoyable and I can’t wait to see the next one.

11658625
Celestia did give him a feather, just before one of the train rides, I forget which.

Oh.
Right.
These stories end.
I guess I gotta find something new to occupy my time for a few months.

A wild complete tag appears. Was not expecting that.

11658572
This is why I hope it is explored a little more in the future. I don’t want to jump to conclusions and assume everything is set in stone and resolved.

Am sad its ending but am glad I came good work aswell Till next time lads:fluttercry:

Author's Note:

And that's it for now! I think we should leave page for a bit before he tries to cram any more hooves into his mouth.

Thank you all for reading and more will follow in the future. :twilightsmile:

Thank you for the story it was fun to read :eeyup:

That was fun! Were the shorter chapters easier? I know I was happy getting at least one a week. It was like getting extra presents when there were more, and yet it was still generally a calm slice-of-life.

I hope they figure out how to start their family and get Nocturnis stable. I wonder what awaits our protagonists.

Still quite curious about the Changeling missions. Chrysalis showed up but didn’t give many details. And did those Griffin dignitaries / tourists ever come around?

Over already? Damn. But it was great while it lasted.

11658572
That's the problem with chapters that are the length of what used to be journal entries. Never really feels like anything has happened, just see tiny bits and pieces as it skips over most things, feels like the movie click in written form. It's really been like this the last two volumes, doesn't help that both pictures are AI art as well, which feels like the soul is missing. And when you add all those pieces together...

(Seriously btw, go ahead and zoom in the cover art for this story, and tell me if you prefer this, or even the cover art from the very first story. I know which I prefer.)

Almost a decade of Blank Page's "adventures" and it thoroughly tickled me to see it was sunset shimmer, the one mare with a glimpse of his POV, asking for foals.

thank you hiver, see you in a few months.

Thank you for this amazing series!

11659047
Add the comment section stories some of us write and in the story chapters and it gets a lot better.
This story sequel is filled with hilarious ideas to fill in the blanks.

If anyone is interesting, my current story can be found here: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/always-be-yourself.1108434/

Aww. It's over! Wonder what the next book will be titled? I'm glad Sunset and Page made up though. I do want Alicorn Shimmer, though. Looking forward to the next installment. Same Bat Page, same "Bat-site."

Waited for all the chapters to be posted and sat here binge reading the whole thing. Glad I did now, though with that ending now I can't wait for the next one :twilightsmile:

11660720
The comment section over this story has made a story filler of this storys Blank pages in between. Hope you enjoy mine and others :raritywink:

Thnaks hiver for another part of this series it's been my favourite on fimfiction for almost 7 years now :)

11663231

"You know, somepony could write a poem about this," Celestia said thoughtfully, "A bat in love with the sun."

Okay, that sounds absolutely adorable for some reason :twilightsmile:

A bat in love with the sun
Like a moth attracted to the flame
That Dracula just needed to love someone
But going poof while together was such a shame.

okay, I could have done better if my 3rd Grade teachers hadn't made the poetry lessons so unappealing. :facehoof: OTOH, there are so many entendres, they're uncountable. :twilightsheepish:

You know, if we ever see tbe pillars of old equestria, it's possible Somnabula was a thestral too.

She did navigate a tricky pathway blindfolded. Maybe she used echolocation?

11663492
Good plan in theory, but they really need the extra pony power for security detail. The jungle is a extream environment and wounded need time to recover.
There for a bigger military is a necessity evil.
11663372
Damn fine idea!
11663352
Freddy is neat... but a Xenomorph is true terror:

11663578
As stated, the primary goal was to give the Day & Night Guards training on dealing with extreme hazards, like that found in Nocturnis, rather than have the EG troops actually provide much in the way of support to the Thestral Guards.
Indeed, trying to have the D&N Guard step in and help deal with the Rexosauri and other jungle dangers instead of letting Thestral Guards take the lead would only result in lots (and LOTS) of those dangers getting numerous free meals -- please refer to your own list made on behalf of Spike and Talon.

Login or register to comment