• Published 14th May 2023
  • 4,824 Views, 1,423 Comments

Eclipse - Hiver



Page is stuck. He never wanted to be a Prince. Ponies plot against him. Mostly for his own good.

  • ...
17
 1,423
 4,824

Chapter 44

As Luna had left, Twilight, Sunset and Celestia or anypony else was also away, I didn’t really have a way to go find out what was going on unless I wanted to go limping through the castle, be carried or even worse of an idea, flying.

I could teleport, or could have but somepony put an anti-teleport field across the entire town.

So I ended up doing something actually responsible and summoned my accountant and got down to some other business.

Compound Interest flipped a paper laid out on the table between us before sliding it over to me, “And the bottom line is that in the accounts I manage, investments, royalty and various earnings ends up with eighty three thousand five hundred thirty one and a quarter bits.”

He was a short, wide unicorn. Not fat or muscular, just stocky. White coat, blonde short cut mane with a cutiemark of bits raining into a half filled money pouch.

That was a lot more than I expected.

Then again, almost two years since I checked it and he managed my investments. That combined with money coming in from various sources. Books, that small shipping company. Technically some investments I made into Silver Leafs stuff, but he had orders to pour those back into the business as soon as they showed up.

“Okay,” I agreed, studying the paper from my place on the couch, “Transfer everything but three thousand into the Nocturnis accounts. You know what to do with two thousand of the remaining. The last thousand we’ll use as necessary.”

Compound sighed softly and then nodded, “As you wish, your highness. But I do wish you would allow the accounts to grow. If you simply waited a decade or two, the bits would do a lot more to help.”

I sighed softly and nodded, “I know, Compound. I know. But we need it now. Later would be ideal, but ideal is the enemy of good enough.”

He nodded, “Very well. It’ll get it done.”

There was a knock on the door and I looked up, “Enter.”

Shade Leaf entered, Leaf Shade following her inside, “You wanted to see us, your majesty?”

Compound got up and gathered his papers, gave me a bow, “I’ll get it done, Prince Page,” and left, closing the door behind him.

I nodded to them, “I did,” I said as they moved to stand before the table before pushing myself up to sit, “I would like to thank you.”

They shifted uncomfortably before Shade spoke up quietly, “But we failed you, your majesty.”

I smiled and shook my head, “Shade, Leaf. You didn’t fail. You succeeded amazingly.”

They looked at me in slight confusion, “But you…”

I raised my hoof to interrupt Leaf, “Your job is to keep me alive. Something that you did amazingly. Not only did you stop the bleeding long enough for a medic to get on site and get me to the hospital, but you also stopped the assassin from getting a second shot.”

She closed her mouth with a frown, “But-”

“But you got hurt on our watch,” Shade said quietly.

“And nopony could ever be able to prevent that,” I told her seriously, “Seriously, nopony without pre warning could have done any better. Unless I walked around with a shield constantly around myself, that arrow would always have hit me. But what matters after is what you did after. Kept me from bleeding out, kept things from getting worse, kept the assassin from getting a second shot. Because a second shot would likely have killed me.”

They didn’t look at me and I smiled, “I asked you to meet me because I had three things to tell you,” I said and that did get them to look at me, “One is a thank you personally. Two is to give you a reward.”

They blinked at me, “A reward?” they asked as one.

I smiled and nodded, “A thousand bits each transferred to your accounts. A personal gift from me.”

Both of them looked like I smacked them with a live salmon. In fact, I think they may have looked less surprised if I did.

…Damn, I should have had a photographer! Damn it, why didn’t I think about that!

“And my third thing,” I said with a smile, “And if you thought a thousand bits was big, you may want to sit down.”

I gave them a second to process before I smiled, “No? Okay then. Princess Celestia intends to reward each of you with the Equestrian Star.”

Both Leaf and Shade sank down to sit with a thunk. They just stared at me.

The Equestrian Star was the highest award that a member of the Equestrian armed forces could receive. In fact, nopony alive had it. Buck, it had not been awarded to somepony for over two hundred years.

I didn’t even have it!

Not that I was eligible anyway, I wasn’t in the guard. War mages didn’t count anymore and I was only very technically a war mage.

By tradition, it was only rewarded for one thing. Extraordinary bravery, sense of duty and the protection of an alicorn.

Last time, it was a private in the Solar guard that discovered a plot by a small group of ponies that wanted to overthrow Celestia and… well, restore the mare in the moon. Luna worshiping cult.

And I had to admit, they had the spirit but were a little confused. Why pick one alicorn to worship? It’s much more fun worshiping several at once.

Shade and Leaf both looked like they were trying to speak, but nothing came out.

I smiled at them, “As you saved me, I thought it was only fair from me to warn you it was coming. And fairly soon too, she wants it revealed before we head back to Nocturnis.”

Leaf managed a small choking sound before the door opened and Luna slipped inside.

She smiled at Lead and Shade as she crossed over to me, lowering her muzzle to whisper into my ear, “We got him.”