• Published 14th May 2023
  • 4,823 Views, 1,423 Comments

Eclipse - Hiver



Page is stuck. He never wanted to be a Prince. Ponies plot against him. Mostly for his own good.

  • ...
17
 1,423
 4,823

Chapter 12

Taking a deep breath, I took in the air as I jumped off the train onto the small platform.

It really was a small platform too. A dozen meters of planks built up and a single sign announcing that it was the platform for the village of Everwater.

No village in sight though, just trees and a dirt path leading off into the forest.

On the path, there were half a dozen large carriages lined up, hitched behind four earth ponies each.

An unicorn looked away from a clipboard before he trotted over as he put it away in a satchel strapped to his solar guard armor. Coming to a stop, he bowed, “Prince Page,” he said, “I’m Captain Bronzegleam.”

“Captain,” I said, giving him a nod before I looked at the carriage, “No criticism intended, but would sky carriages not be faster?”

“They would if they could land at the destination,” he said and shook his head, “The courtyard is small and the wind along the cliff is strong and unpredictable. A pegasi can fly it with effort, but when pulling a carriage it’s too dangerous.”

I nodded in agreement while wondering what sort of place Luna really had picked for this magic training thing.

Moon Glow jumped down next to me, back in full dark Nocturnis armor.

“Captain,” she said and saluted.

“Captain,” he answered, returning it.

We’re one captain away from a comedy sketch. Leaving them to organize the embarkation and negotiate who’s in charge of what(Moon Glow in my opinion), I moved away and spread my wings, hesitating for a split second before gliding down to land onto the ground.

My hooves set down and I folded my wings as I took in the scent of the forest. But I felt tense for some reason, my ears kept twisting and turning and I kept glancing in through the thick forest.

Looking at the rest of my ponies, I wasn’t the only one that looked very uncomfortable about being down on the forest floor outside a shielded area.

I made a mental note to specifically do it as much as possible at some point in the future or I feared it might turn into an outright phobia.

Because developing a phobia of having my hooves on the ground when also living for thousands of years would suck.

…of course, living in Nocturnis it wasn’t exactly an unreasonable fear. Buck, thinking back about it I even felt uncomfortable on the ground when inside a shielded area.

Taking a breath, I consciously forced myself to relax. If my ponies saw or at least thought I was relaxed, it may help them to do the same.

We’re safe here. There are no large bitey things hiding among the trees. So instead of keeping an eye on the forest, I consciously turned my back to it and ignored it while looking as unconcerned as possible.

It made the back of my neck itch, but I stubbornly studied the train instead as ponies moved supplies and luggage from the train to the carriages again.

In an amazingly short time, everypony seemed to be ready and Moon Glow approached me, “We’re ready to get moving, your majesty,” she said, coming to a stop and giving a parade ground crisp salute.

Showing off to the solar guard.

I nodded to her, “Thank you, Captain,” and let her lead me to the second carriage where Shade Leaf and Leaf Shade were standing flanking the door, coming to full attention when we got close.

“How long is the ride?” I asked Glow.

“Captain Bronzegleam says about two hours,” she said as we reached the door.

I nodded, “Thank you captain,” I said before I climbed into the carriage only for the door to close behind me. There was a slight sound of hooves landing on the floor, meaning that Shade and Leaf had relocated onto the roof for the duration.

Meaning that everypony had decided to squeeze into the other carriages rather than make me share.

Taking a deep breath, I then sighed before laying down on the overstuffed couch. Let them do things for you.

Yes, yes, Sunshine. I know. It’s just difficult at times, especially when it inconveniences so many ponies.

Picking a book from my small satchel, I settled down to read as the carriage started to slowly move, rocking slightly as it rolled along the road.

Daring really could write a good book. What more, I liked the batpony side character. He was actually helpful rather than in the way as most of her so-called supporting side characters usually were.

I really liked that she incorporated his echolocation as a solution to finding their way out of a pitch black cave. She had done her research.

Glancing out the window, I then moved closer to it as the wagon started to slow down slightly while tilting. We were moving up along a winding road up the side of a mountain. The road was narrow and the side was steep. We were already some fifty meters above the ground below and I could look out over the trees below.

That’s frightening.

Closing my book, I sat down and looked out the window instead as we slowly climbed up the road. Well, this explained the four earth ponies pulling the carriages. One earth pony would be able to pull this thing easy enough on flat ground.

But with this road, four was definitely the right thought.

So instead of worrying, I did my best to trust my ponies. If they thought this was the safe way to do this, then I had to trust them to be right.

Forcing myself to relax, I tried to enjoy the view instead.

And it was an impressive view. The place we’re going to was clearly as high up as Canterlot.

The carriage rocked slightly and I glanced up. Leaf and Shade had jumped off and a couple of seconds later, the reason why was revealed as everything went dark as we entered a tunnel.

I blinked, my eyes quickly adjusting and I could see the grey rock moving past just outside the window, hoof beats echoing through the clearly narrow tunnel.

I found myself amused by the fact that I could actually somewhat hear the shape and size of the tunnel from the echos. Not clearly as with propper echolocation squeaks, but well enough to tell it was over a hundred meters long and still heading upwards and not much wider or taller than the carriage.

Approaching the exit, I closed my eyes to get ready for the bright sunshine. I wasn’t disappointed, quickly the cabin filled with bright sunshine a couple of moments before the carriage turned and came to a halt.

Looking out the window, revealed… a grey stone wall, just outside. We were almost pressed against it and I could see nothing. Turning the other way, the door opened to allow me outside.

The first thing that struck me was a chill wind that cut straight through my coat despite the warm sunshine from above.

Suppressing a shudder, I climbed down the stairs and looked around. While the carriages technically fit in the courtyard, it clearly took some puzzle ability to do so.

On each side was a pair of round towers that clung to the side of the cliff, seeming half built into it. The tunnel had a pair of heavy iron gates and opposite to the gate was a tall stone wall, we had parked just next to. In total, the small courtyard was maybe fifteen meters across.

Damn, no wonder this place was considered secure enough to leave a pair of alicorns lightly guarded in.

The gate at the bottom of the left tower opened and a pair of solar guards existed, followed by Celestia. All flowing colorful mane and shining white coat. She smiled as she spotted me and I moved to meet her halfway.

“Prince Page,” she said with a nod, “Welcome to Sparrow Peak.”

“Thank you, Princess Celestia,” I said, giving her a nod as well as I met her eyes, “Glad to be here.”

Behind me, ponies started to unload the carriages.