• Published 14th May 2023
  • 4,816 Views, 1,422 Comments

Eclipse - Hiver



Page is stuck. He never wanted to be a Prince. Ponies plot against him. Mostly for his own good.

  • ...
17
 1,422
 4,816

Chapter 10

Breaking through into the dream, I spread my wings and swept through the air as I looked around. The sun filtered through clouds above at a fortress below.

It looked fairly primitive, this was a very old design. Basically just stone walls around a bunch of wooden buildings.

Ponies mared the walls, a mix of pegasi and earth ponies, but I could only see a couple of unicorns. Around the fortress was pinned in on three sides by mountain cliffs towards the valley and ocean below it but the path and area before the fortress was filled with an army camp.

There were mostly unicorns in it that I could see.

Hmm.

Banking around, I turned around, circling down towards a white and gold spot I could easily make out on the battlement of the fortress. She was smaller than in modern day and her mane pink rather than flowing celestial.

My hooves touched down and the dream solidified around us. Celestia startled slightly, looking around, her wings raised before she looked at me with a smile, “Page. Welcome.”

“Thank you,” I said, giving her a small bow as I looked around. She was wearing a set of golden armor, simpler than her modern one. No protection for her wings for one thing.

Everypony else was also wearing armor, so I may as well fit in. Changing the dream around me and it shifted to the bronze armor of any of the pegasi mareing the walls before also covering it with a black cloak.

Adjusting my wings slightly, I brushed the hood back, giving her a salute.

Celestia smiled, “Wrong time period,” she said as she regarded me, “Do it right.”

I lowered my hoof back onto the stone, raising an eyebrow at her, “You’re not going to tell me which, are you?”

“Of course not.”

Hmm. I glanced around at the ponies on the walls, walking around below. No steel which meant this was fairly early. No iron either, all I could see was bronze.

So very early. Mostly pegasi and earth ponies, the modern salute came from unicorns after going through a bunch of variations, mostly to make it possible for somepony without a horn, so no lightshow.

The collection of forces indicated that some pegasi and earth pony tribes had joined in the formation of Equestria, but not a lot of unicorns. Which also meant it was before the large earth pony empires fell. So their version had not filtered in yet either.

Which meant something really early. My knowledge of this time period was really spotty, especially with these sorts of details!

And she knew that, damn it. I looked up at the smiling alicorn before I straightened up and extended my right wing, bowing it around to touch the front of my chest as I shook my mane back.

Celestia smiled, “Very good, Page,” she said, “Almost right,” and then did it perfectly, putting her left hoof forward as she stood straight, touching her wing to the front of her chest.

I studied her for a second before I nodded and did it again, copying her closer this time before I shrugged and relaxed again, “Can’t do the feather spread, sadly.”

“Indeed,” she agreed and folded her wing again, “Well, as we are here, we may as well work on history.”

I nodded in agreement as I fell in next to her as she started to walk along the top of the wall, ponies still moving all around, readying supplies or weapons.

“This seems like a bad position,” I said after a moment as I stopped, looking out over the battlements as I raised a hoof to rest on them as I looked out over the sieging camp, “They have a very good position here,” I said and then glanced at Celestia, “And with that many unicorns, I bet they can even shield one of your fire spells.”

“They could,” Celestis agreed and paused next to me, looking out over towards the enemy forces as she looked at me, “Explain why it’s not.”

Sighing softly, I looked around at the ground between the fortress and the camp. Looked like mostly grass lands. There was a forest on the other side of the sieging forces, but too far away to really be used as cover or put to flame.

Glancing up at the clouds above, I continued slowly circling the fortress walls as I looked around, studying the ponies and the gear. Plenty of food and there was a spring coming out of a rock outcrop for water.

Outnumbered by the enemy, but there were enough unicorns here in combination with Sunshine to stop any direct spell attacks on the walls.

Hence the siege.

Returning to the front of the walls, I looked out over the ground towards the unicorn camp. There were signs of spell damage on it, burnt vegetation, craters often filled with water.

Putting a hoof on the battlement, I sat down, considering it for several long moments before I smiled and turned to look at Celestia, “I figured it out.”

“And what is your answer?” she asked as she stepped up next to me, looking towards the distant tents.

“We’re the anvil,” I said, “My wife is the hammer. They are going to attack them from behind and catch them between our two forces.”

Celestia nodded, “Very good,” she said with a small sad smile, looking out towards the unicorn camp, “Two days from now, Lunas forces will hit them from behind at dusk. They’re defeated and with no way to escape, they have no choice but to surrender.”

No teleportation yet at this time.

I nodded and looked towards the tents in the distance. A time I hoped never returned.

“I spoke to my sister,” Celestia said quietly.

“What do you think?” I asked, glancing up at her.

She looked thoughtful before she glanced down at me with a small smile, “I think that getting some time to practice your magic would be very good for you.”

“Likely would, yes,” I agreed before I smiled a bit at her, “But you know what they are really doing, right?”

“Very much so,” Celestia said and shook her head, “I always was the sneakier sister.”

“Mhmm,” I agreed, “They’re not even trying to be subtle about it. But if you want, we can always go along with it because… I kinda do need practice. There is only so much practice in dreams help, that much is very true.”

Celestia nodded, “That very much is true,” she agreed before she smiled and shook her head in amusement, “And if they think we need vacations that badly, we might as well go along with it.”

I just nodded in agreement.