• Published 10th May 2020
  • 5,542 Views, 278 Comments

Pandemic: Starting Over - Halira



A unicorn with an unscrupulous past finds herself as a guardian to five orphaned foals. Now she must help them after their world has fallen down, and they must help her become a better pony.

  • ...
17
 278
 5,542

PreviousChapters
Afterward: What I Became

One year later


I watched the television as I sat at the hotel bar, waiting for my interview. I wished I could have changed the channel from the local news. I suppose I could have asked, but I liked keeping a low profile.

And with this election, the Blessingist movement shows that it will be a force going forward in politics. Though they currently lack a strong leadership figure to rally around. All signs indicate Sunset Blessing will remain bedridden following her kidnapping a year ago, largely hidden behind the tall gates and her security at Wabash Manor for the rest of her life. Join us tomorrow as we get the rare opportunity to enter her residence and do a personal interview with the reclusive pony.

Nervously touching a hand to my shirt to make sure my talisman was still hidden beneath it, I turned away from the television. I was not looking forward to that interview. My sisters were going to do their best to make me look absolutely pathetic. I had decided I would give an interview like this every few years, just to keep the world convinced that I was just a broken shell of a pony.

I took a quick sip of my drink, plain sweet tea, and found myself wishing it was Lántiān's brew. She still had a few years left before she started college, but I reminded myself for the hundredth time that I needed her to teach me how she made it before she ended up far away from me.

"Charlotte Newman?"

A pleasant-looking, middle-aged woman came up next to me with a smile and her hand outstretched. I smiled in return and reached out my hand to hers.

"That would be me. You are Connie Morgan?"

"Yes, that is me," she answered as she took a seat next to me. "I'm glad to see you here on time. I would normally have dismissed interviewing you, based on the fact you have virtually no work experience, but Twilight Sparkle gave you a glowing recommendation, and that counts for something."

I nodded. "I tend to keep to myself. Just running errands for Miss Blessing. She isn't that demanding, but she can have some wild requests sometimes."

Connie nodded. "That also fascinated me. You seemed to have earned the respect of one of the most reclusive ponies there is. How did you manage to do that?"

I took another sip of my tea before answering that. "Miss Blessing appreciates my magical talents. It isn't every day you find a human that can see thaumic energy and runes. Obviously, I can't perform any magic myself, but I can tell what anyone around me is doing or if something isn't right. With how concerned Miss Blessing is about her security, you understand where that can be invaluable. No one expects a human to pick up on that stuff."

Connie shivered. "I've been on the wrong end of harmful magic before. It wasn't a fun experience. I can appreciate that skill. That isn't related to the position you are interviewing for, though."

I smiled. "I am rather good with organization and keeping an ear to the ground for potential problems. Miss Blessing says I am wasting my talents staying in Wabash Manor, and I need to get out and do bigger things. I think I can do a lot to help you keep abreast of what is going on in Colorado while you are off in Washington and help keep you aware of some current events elsewhere that might slip through the cracks. I'm also excellent at sorting out facts from fiction. A leader should always be doing everything they can to have a good information network."

"That is true," Connie replied. She then signaled the bartender. "Excuse me? If you can, can you have a cook bring me a house salad, actually, two of them, and I'll have the same tea my friend is having?"

"Coming right up," the bartender replied and walked off briefly to inform the cook of the order.

Connie brought her head close to me and whispered. "Twilight told me the truth about who you are. I can keep a secret and see where your insights can be invaluable. I may even hire you, but I need you to promise me, no deception between us. If I get the impression you are trying to use me for some Machiavellian scheme, you're out. Do you agree?"

I was a little shocked she knew, but not completely. I had half-expected Twilight to tell her. "My identity remains private to everyone else. Sunset Blessing is sick in bed. Agree to that, and I agree with your terms."

She held a hand out to me, and I extended my own; we shook hands again and waited for our salads to arrive.

Ten Years After the Abduction

Skytree, once Riverview. I had been back here several times since the Cataclysm. My foster daughter, goddaughter, daughter, grandfoals, and now great grandfoals all lived here, so it made sense to stop by from time to time, even if Charlotte Newman was technically the one making the trip. This was the first time I had been here as myself, and it was also the first time I had dared let myself walk out to the center of where the Bastion once stood. I had always avoided it, but today was a day to look to the future, and to do that, I first needed to let go of the past.

The main grounds of the monument were largely clear of people, kept back by security as they watched from behind the roped-off lines. Most of them were probably filming me. I wish they weren't there. I wished I could keep this a private moment, but there was no way I could get privacy in such a public place. Just being out of Wabash and here was newsworthy. I just tried to pretend they were not there.

I looked upward at the green branches of the four trees that towered over the city, the last remnants of the great mass that Wild had grown here years ago. It was raining, but no raindrops could penetrate the canopy, thick as it was. They were even bigger than the original tree, which still stood in a separate park not far away. All of them were still healthy, still filled with the magic of Wild Growth which sustained them when all rules of botany and physics said they should wither and die. These were not simply titan-sized apple trees, but instead magical artifacts of great power with one sole purpose—to live. Were they bound to her in some way or completely independent of her? I did not know. All evidence pointed to the latter, which is what the world believed, but we may never understand that deeper magic that those like Wild had, even me, who was one of the few who even knew it was there.

The trees made this place peaceful and serene, a far cry from the devastation that had rocked this place years before, but they were not why I was here. I was here for what was in the center, a stone monument, surrounded by a reflection pond, engraved with the names of all who had perished that day. This place was not just a monument and tourist site; this place was the grave of those whose names were inscribed on that stone. They may not have had bodies left to bury, but their ashes were part of the soil from which these trees grew. One name, in particular, drew me here today, Tonya Blessing.

In my magic, I carried a bouquet of flowers. I walked slowly towards the center. My pace was not set merely by my inability to move quickly, although my right leg certainly didn't allow for a quick pace, even ten years after it was injured. No, it was like walking into the bedroom of someone sleeping and not wanting to wake them. Here lay Tonya, sleeping forever.

I reached the reflection pond and gazed across to the stone, reading each name carefully and reciting each back to myself in a silent dirge. I knew many of these people. Seen them many times in the Bastion before it had fallen, smiled at them, asked them how their families were doing. They were not just names. Each had been a life I had been acquainted with, a soul that, for however briefly, joined me on my journey through life. I had shed many tears for them over the years as well, but had often lumped them together. They deserved to be remembered individually by me, at least this once. I owed them much more than that.

After getting through the other names, I focused on hers. I levitated the flowers across the pond, carefully placing them at the base of the stone.

"I know I can speak to Arbiter every night, but it is time to accept that she is not the mare I loved," I whispered, crying. "I do care for Arbiter, and I know she cares about me, but it is not the same kind of love I shared with you. Perhaps we can think of Arbiter as your child. You always wanted one. It makes sense since she was made from you, and much of you is in her, but that does not make her you. You perished that day, and she rose from the ashes. It is time to let go of your ghost. Would you be proud of me? Even Arbiter might not know, but I hope you would."

I sat and sang Amazing Grace, giving my final lament and at last burying the dead.

It took a few minutes to gather myself, but gather myself I did, and I walked, undisturbed by the watching crowds, who seemed to understand the solemness of the occasion, and gave it that respect as I went back to the waiting car.

The rain had stopped, and Jess stood quietly by the car. It was a classic red nineteen-fifties Corvette with the retractable roof currently down. Everyone had their side hobbies, and I was told she personally rebuilt the car herself over the last two years as one of hers—God damn overachiever, building her first car. She walked to the front passenger side door to open it for me. I took my time and paused for one last look at the monument.

"Do you need a moment, Auntie?" Jess asked, keeping her voice low, not pressuring me.

I shook my head. "My heart has been here long enough. It is time to go. Don't drive too fast. My old bones can't take the speeds you youngsters go at."

Her ears flexed but didn't lay back. "I will go nice and slow. Don't worry."

We got into the car and strapped ourselves in. Number was sitting in the backseat with her electronic pad.

"We took a little longer than planned, but not much," Number informed us. "We should be no more than five minutes behind schedule, which is fashionably late." The unicorn then proceeded to pull out her cigarettes.

Jess immediately flattened her ears and turned to glare at Number. "You will not light that up in my car! If you even think about it, I'll make you walk to the party."

Number, who already had put the cigarette in her lips, pulled it out and leveled her old mare gaze on Jess. "Miss Middleton, I am old enough that I should be given leeway to smoke in a car with the roof down, and I have a report of you once smoking a joint and engaging in underage consumption of alcohol at a college party, so you can't point moral fingers, young woman."

I shook my head in anticipation of what was coming. "You brought this on yourself, Number."

Jess's tail was quaking, even though her expression hadn't changed. "Okay, Miss Crunch. First, it is not Miss Middleton, it is Doctor Middleton, and you will respect that title. Second, unless you have unaltered photographic proof, you can't prove anything—and you having reports about any of that is just creepy and borders on stalking, and if it is still happening, then it needs to stop before I call the police and hire a lawyer. Third, even if you had that, it is not applicable to this discussion, nor is your relative age to mine. Fourth, and most importantly, this is my car, and if I tell you no, then I mean no. Do you want to test me, or do you want to see how far your poor elderly legs can walk? What's it going to be?"

I love my family. I chortled. "I think Jess just told you to fuck off and put the cigarette away."

Number grumbled and stuffed her cancer stick away, giving Jess a pouting look. "No respect for your elders. You aren't as much fun as Wild was when she was your age."

"Oh, hush. She's right on all counts," I told my old friend.

"I don't see her fussing at you for not calling her Doctor," Number griped.

"Well, I have family privilege," I said proudly. "I'm also not so senile I will deliberately piss off the nice person who volunteered their personal time to drive me around today when they could be doing anything else."

The drive back to the hotel wasn't very long and involved me and Number throwing insults back and forth that neither of us meant. Jess kept quiet and tuned us out for the duration. When we reached the hotel, Jess was kind enough to open the door for me, and after we were all out, both she and Number stood at the hotel entrance as I slowly walked to the door.

"Man, she plays up the brittle pony bit," Number sighed. "I've got two-hundred dollars that says her pace immediately picks up the second she is through the door."

"I'm not taking that bet," Jess replied, but didn't complain as she waited patiently for me to get to the entrance.

When I finally did get through the doors, my pace did pick up. It wasn't fast, but it wasn't sloth mode either. I did like to play up how poor and weak I was when out in the open. It made everyone not in the know to underestimate me. The hotel staff was on a strict non-disclosure agreement, and my family and friends were literally all the guests staying at the hotel, so I felt safe within its walls.

We entered the massive conference room, which had been converted to a ballroom for the reunion, and for the first time, I got to look out at all the people I called close friends and family gathered together in one place, close to two hundred in all. It was a massive undertaking to get them all together, and this might be the only time it happened, but looking out at the sea of faces made me smile.

The hotel staff met us inside and gave us all gaudy shirts with "Blessing Family Reunion 2041" in bright purple and yellow letters on a red background. Jess and Number immediately put theirs on without a fuss, but I just kept mine folded and laid it across my back. I played up my frailty, but trying to struggle into a shirt would be legitimately too much pain with my shoulder.

I thanked them and just quietly walked around, not engaging people much, but enjoying watching them live and talk to one another.

I spotted Shǔguāng quickly, being closely shadowed by Jordan. Shǔguāng was being stoic, as was his habit, but anyone with eyes could see that Jordan was clearly infatuated with him. In fact, I noticed Amanda a short distance away, watching her daughter and my son like a hawk, apparently not trusting a pair of seventeen-year-olds in a large hotel where it was easy to lose track of individuals.

Continuing to walk around, I spotted Wild Growth and her husband introducing their twin sons to Sapphire Sky, her husband Crescent Shadow, and Josie Woods. The three-year-old unicorn colts didn't seem that impressed with meeting such powerful ponies, but then again, their mother was a living legend, and they were three and didn't know any better. Still, I expected it stung Sapphire's ego—though, maybe not, but I hope she at least acted put out. It would give me something to pick at later, and then we could get into a contest of snide remarks. I'd been preparing some good ones and was looking forward to hearing what she had thought up. She had some wit to her.

I caught Mèng sitting at a table, playing on his tablet, and approached him. "Mèng, you can play your games any other time. You need to get up and socialize."

He looked up at me and pouted. "But, Auntie, everyone here is either older than me or younger. There aren't any people here my age."

I considered his options, and he wasn't wrong; there was a significant lack of kids in the twelve to fourteen range. "You could try hanging out with Drizzle; she's eleven."

He laid his ears back. "She's annoying and always laughs about me being her uncle."

"Drizzle isn't that annoying. She's just a happy filly," I assured him.

"Yes, she is annoying," Mèng asserted.

I sighed. "What about Aurora? She's fifteen, and she is kinda cute."

It was hard to pick up on a blush on his shade of fur, but I could still tell. "Auntie!"

I didn't think he would get too much trouble from night ponies for going outside his tribe in the dating pool, and if he did, I could ask Phobia to step in. She had for Robby when Devon and Paul asked. I was not going to have my son subjected to that. I didn't think he would actually develop a relationship with Aurora, considering she was two years older, but you never knew.

"It's okay to go talk to a pretty filly," I assured him. "The worst that could happen is she blows you off. You could at least make a friend."

"I have friends," Mèng asserted.

I frowned. "You could use a few more who aren't just online. Get up, go socialize."

He gave me an overblown sigh and left his seat. "Yes, Auntie."

I watched him go and was pleased to see he was going to talk to Aurora as I asked, which also meant spending time with Drizzle in this case, since the younger filly had chosen to try to hang out with Aurora as well. That was a good turn of events. Aurora, in the times I had met her, struck me as a promising young filly whose outgoing nature would be pleasant to have rubbed off on Mèng.

I looked around. Where was my third son? I didn't see Líng anywhere. I walked around a while and eventually came to the big glass doors that looked out on the hotel pool—of course, sixteen years old and still as predictable as when he was six. It was primarily humans out in the pool itself, Andrea's kids and grandkids from the looks of it, but I spotted a few of the Youngs as well. Líng stood out easily in the crowd and only made himself more evident by cannonballing off the diving board despite signs posted expressly forbidding that. If he wanted to get in trouble with the lifeguard, that was his business. He needed to learn his Auntie would not bail him out of trouble for every minor infraction he did. He was generally a good colt, but he was also a stupid sixteen-year-old.

Satisfied at finding him, I went back to people watching. I found Arachne and Charlotte well away from their parents, speaking with Number and Amicus's eldest son—an up incoming politician.

I already knew that it was Arachne who had chosen to start the conversation and had just dragged her twin along unwillingly as a prop. Arachne worried me a little, and I knew Phobia had her concerns as well. That filly—young mare at this point— was ambitious and uneasily reminded me of myself from the early days after ETS. She was seventeen and already on the prowl to build her political and business clout. Night pony aggression could manifest in different ways; I could already tell hers would lead to ruthlessness in business and politics. She had a famous mother, famous grandmother—me, and renowned aunt, and an inborn desire to show she could be as notable and influential as any of us or even more so. She was intelligent and sly enough, and had good instincts for this, so she bore watching.

Charlotte was looking longingly at the pool, and I knew she would rather be out there. She was her twin's opposite and despised having the legacy of her family always brought up. It was a lot of pressure, trying to live up to those lofty accomplishments, and it was easy to understand her discomfort. All my grandfoals had many legacies hanging over them that they were constantly reminded of, and each of them responded to that in their own ways.

"Grangrangran!"

I looked down and smiled at the tiny night pony staring up at me, then picked him up with my magic and deposited him on my back. "Wax, what are you doing off by yourself? Where is your father?"

"Grangrangran!" Waxing Moon answered and hugged my neck. I guess I shouldn't have expected much of an answer from a toddler. It was a fantastic feeling, being embraced by a great grandfoal.

I rolled my eyes. "Let's go find your dad. I can't believe you got far from him, you slippery rascal."

I didn't get more than three steps before finding my grandson, Nightmare Moon, looking frazzled, but relieved to see us. "You found him! I turned around for one second, and he was gone."

I levitated Wax over onto his father's back. "You shouldn't ever lose track of an infant!" I scolded. "What were you doing?"

"Trying to make sure Maria and Tynisha didn't kill one another," Moon said sheepishly.

My mouth started to open as I gave him a baffled look. "Who is Tynisha?"

"Oh, she is— possiblythemotherofyournextgreatgrandfoal," he said in one breath and took off like a bat out of hell.

"Ba-bye, Grangrangran!" Wax shouted happily as they sped out of sight.

I hopped in place. "Moon?! What are you—you can't say something like that and run away! Moon!"

He didn't come back, and I wasn't chasing him down. Okay, so I worried about all my grandfoals. If that colt had some tryst with yet another young mare and gotten her pregnant, that was all on him. Why would the dolt even invite both of—

Deep breaths, not my problem. It was his life. If anyone other than his two marefriends yelled at him, it would be his parents, sisters, or Tempest, but not me. My job was to be the great grandmother to whatever foals came of it, and if he ended up with more, I would just have more to spoil. Still— Nope! Not going to get involved. Phobia and Rosetta could throttle him, not me.

I moved on, smiling and greeting old friends and rolling my eyes at the antics of family. I eventually found one of the ponies I was searching for most, sitting by herself at a table.

"Care if I sit and rest my legs here for a few minutes?" I asked her as I climbed into a chair.

She rolled her eyes. "Do as you wish, Ma'am. You always do. Truth be told, I had been waiting for you."

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Is that so?"

She nodded. "Yes, Ma'am."

"Are you ever going to stop calling me ma'am?" I asked in fake exasperation.

"I expect I will when I die, although I can't confirm that," she said with a straight face.

I blinked. "Was that a joke?"

"Maybe."

I shook my head. "Always so difficult." I looked her over. Her mane was not in its usual straight bangs; she had two curls hanging off the sides. "You styled your mane."

She blushed. "Does it look good? I only had it done yesterday."

I nodded. "It looks very nice. I didn't expect you to do that for this occasion."

She licked her lips. "I did it for a different occasion, one coming tomorrow."

"You have me curious. What's happening tomorrow?"

She blushed more. "I have been seeing a stallion… his name is Frederick, and he is very good with Drizzle. I heard through some friends that he may be asking me to marry him tomorrow over dinner."

I was in shock. "You never told me you had been dating!"

She narrowed her eyes at me. "I do not tell you many things, Ma'am. I believe the word you are looking for is congratulations."

I stuck my nose up. "Well, I have to approve of him first. What does he do for a living?"

She rolled her eyes again. "He is the Skytree weather team's image engineer."

I blinked. "Um, what is that?"

"A good job that pays well, Ma'am. It would take too long to explain to a weather novice."

I set my mouth to a flat line. "Fair enough. How did you meet him?"

Lántiān sighed. "We were on the flight team together in college. I have been doing part-time work on the weather team in-between commissions, and we reconnected there. We have been dating for eight months."

"Eight months?! And you never said anything to me?!"

She narrowed her gaze again. "My private life is my own, Ma'am. I dated other stallions before for other lengths of time. You didn't need to know. I expected you to try to push me into marriage with one of them before I was ready."

"I wouldn't do that!" I scoffed.

"You lie terribly, Ma'am," Lántiān said in a tired voice. "I seek your blessing. I also request that you give me away when the time comes. I'm told that is an American tradition."

I stared at her. "It is usually the parent who—"

"Everyone! May I have your attention, please!"

The crowd hushed and turned as one to face Phobia, who had started standing on the table. I heard a few joking whispers about the incoming monologue.

Phobia smiled. "I will not bore you with any long-winded speeches today. I just wanted to get your attention. Lántiān has some words to say. Lántiān, the floor is yours."

Huh? What was going on? Was she announcing her engagement here before the stallion even asked her?

Number walked over and placed a microphone headset over Lántiān's head. She nodded in thanks and then took to the air in a hover so everyone could see her.

She took a deep breath and smiled at the crowd. "Thank you all for your attention. I barely passed public speaking in school, so forgive me if I don't hold a crowd as well as the Warden of Fear."

A few people shouted words of encouragement, and she smiled even more prominently, and she… started tearing up for some reason. What was going on?

"I came as a refugee to this country ten years ago. It was a challenging and confusing time for me. I was given into the care of Sunset Blessing, the mare who links everyone here together. Many of you may not know, but my relationship with my actual mother has always been difficult. It has improved in recent years, but due to circumstances will always remain distant."

She turned her gaze down to me. "My relationship with Sunset Blessing has likewise been rocky at times. We fight, we argue, we call each other insufferable. However, she has always been there when I needed her, even in my darkest hours. Shortly after arrived in this country, my daughter, Drizzle, who used to be called—"

"Mama! Don't tell them!" Drizzle screamed.

"She used to be named Qīng Yǔ!" Líng shouted with a grin from by the glass doors.

"Uncle Líng! I'll get you!" Drizzle hollered in embarrassed fury. Several people quietly laughed.

"To continue," Lántiān said, regaining the attention of the crowd. "My baby filly was foalnapped, and Sunset Blessing risked life and limb to bring her back to me. There have been many difficult times since then, and she was always there with support and advice, even when I told her I didn't want her there, even when I raged at her. She never abandoned me. She has been everything a mother should be to me."

Lántiān took another deep breath, crying openly. "Sunset Blessing formally adopted my brothers long ago. I am a grown mare, and not someone who would normally be adopted, but…"

My eyes went wide as I gazed at her, crying as well.

She looked me in the eyes. "Ma'am… it would give me great pleasure if you would let me call you Mother, and you adopt me as your daughter."

I was utterly in shock. I didn't think this would ever happen.

My smile felt like it would split my face as I wiped a tear from my eye. "There is nothing more I wish to be. I accept...my daughter."

Author's Note:

Thank everyone for reading. and for sticking through this story through over 90 updates.

The Pandemic AU continues with Marshmallow Dreams, set six years after the primary part of this story.

TMarshmallow Dreams
Rebecca Riddle seems to be your typical human-turned-pegasus in a world of both humans and ponies, but she has a secret double life, and there is nothing typical about her other life.
Halira · 376k words  ·  73  15 · 1.5k views
PreviousChapters
Comments ( 13 )

Great story, thank you.

That was a nice ending. I think she probably wanted to throttle her grandson quite a bit there at the end.

:heart: thank you for this amazing story Halira.

That was an amazing story, and I have always enjoyed seeing it come up with an update, because I knew I would have something enjoyable to read. From start to finish. Thank you. And that ending... Just absolutely wonderful.

And so another story ends. Could have used a bit more of a narration on what happened to the ponies and people of Royal's mad little scheme, but it was a wonderful epilogue for Sunset.

10844250
Those that fled are still at large, and I believe another author may yet have plans for Rossman. Some others expressed interest in using Fain, but we shall see what if anything comes of those.

There is the idea of a Bursa story (file is labeled with a working title Pandemic: Changeling's Quest) that's been sketched out, but I'm uncertain if it will be done or not. It could also end up be incorporated into another story.

As for the real big bads, the ones providing financial backing, there is the brief bonus content. They'll get explored eventually. Not likely in Marshmallow Dreams.

Great story! I really enjoyed it. :twilightsmile:

11074576
Just general, rather than specific scene, something to show off Sunset and the foals, with Yinyu and Arbiter/Tonya in the background.

So he's what sucks.
I read the last book a couple years ago and now an starting this one with no idea as to what happened! Lol
I'll just enjoy the read as a standalone until I remember what the last book was about.

Whoo, half way done and I remember the last book, mostly.
Loving it.

This was an amazing story and I love the series so much.

This one was great, and really provided some great closure for many of the older characters. Looks like the new gen is starting to fill out pretty quickly too. I’m wondering if wild will finally take that next step as well, but I’m sure that will be explored later. All these reunions are making me wish for an expansion on tattered’s story, as I’m hoping she eventually reconciles with her parents.

11074593
I wonder if crissy fain will ever appear in any pandemic stories or at least be mentioned, I wonder if she will ditch her shimmerism or if she will be obsessed with being a pony until she dies.

Login or register to comment