• Published 10th May 2020
  • 5,542 Views, 278 Comments

Pandemic: Starting Over - Halira



A unicorn with an unscrupulous past finds herself as a guardian to five orphaned foals. Now she must help them after their world has fallen down, and they must help her become a better pony.

  • ...
17
 278
 5,542

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 75: New Unity Mall. Part 3—Food Court Discussion

"This Fain woman is bad news, Sunset Blessing," Tempest said gravely from across the picnic table from me. She was reading her cell phone that was gripped in one hand and used her other hand to lift a hotdog to take a bite.

I looked at the hot dog in distaste. "How can you eat that? You spent most of your life as a pony."

She gave me a flat look. "It is a vegan hotdog; there's no actual meat in it. I can also eat it because it tastes good and is convenient to eat with a single hand while I look up information on this threat to your grandfoals. If she intends to hurt them, I intend to leave her in a body cast. I don't play mind games. I just take care of business."

"Okay… " I said slowly. "Where are you looking up information?"

"None of your business," Tempest grumbled. "Being the personal bodyguard to a Dreamwarden comes with its perks...and no, no information learned in the dream realm is being used."

I set my jaw. "Alright, so who keeps springing her out of jail? She doesn't strike me as the model prisoner type."

"Can't say," Tempest mumbled in frustration. "There's a law firm that represents her. This particular law firm typically is the type to cover up business executives' and politicians' bad behavior—pay off mistresses, bribe abuse victims, drug trafficking, potentially dirty money. They don't seem the type to work for charity; someone is paying them, but not clear who."

Number picked at her salad as she listened. "You aren't likely to get very far there. I dealt with these kinds of people back in the day. Loyalty and keeping their mouths shut is paramount. Whatever threat you make against them is nothing compared to what will happen if they reveal details. Snitches get stitches isn't correct. It's more like snitches, and their entire families, end up in body bags."

"So dead end there," I grumbled. I glanced over at the nearby picnic tables to make sure everyone was still doing alright. We were all at the food court, but my table just had me, Tempest, and Number. Tempest hadn't been pleased by being roused from her sleep, but it didn't take long for her to get over that after she heard why.

"Can you fight her if it came down to it?" Number asked the former pony.

Tempest frowned. "If she got her hands on me, it would be unpleasant, but I could endure it. The more concerning matter, in that case, is I'm not fully adjusted to fighting as a human. I have signed up for martial arts classes and handgun training once this vacation is over, but for the time being, I'm probably a liability in a fight." That last part came out on a bitter note.

"No one blames you for not being instantly as great a fighter as a human as when you were a pony. I'm sure you'll figure it out, eventually," I said consolingly. "In the meantime, we need to figure out what we can about what we're up against. I know you have experience figuring stuff like that out, and changing species isn't going to take that away."

Tempest gave a stiff nod. "Fain has a listed address in Colorado Springs, but it is unclear how much time she actually spends there. She seems to move around a lot and prefers stealthy attacks where her opponents don't see her coming until she gets her hands on them. A unicorn might not be able to assault her with magic directly, but she is still as vulnerable as anyone else to having something large and heavy chucked at her. She has been linked to several radical Shimmerist groups, but never confirmed to be a member of any of them."

"She was silent when she came up behind me earlier. I didn't realize she was there until the employees started freaking out," I recalled.

"And she scouted us all out without being obvious about it," Number added in with a grunt.

"Top Shimmerist leader in the area who might have the resources is a pony named Water Wings," Tempest continued as she read.

"I don't believe he would be behind it," I interrupted. "Water Wings is an idealist and has always been strongly against violence."

Tempest nodded. "Reports confirm that. While he makes it no secret he is no fan of yours, calling you a backstabber on multiple occasions, even before you turned on Shimmerism, he has also been one of the few Shimmerist leaders pleading for non-violence with the Blessingists. Fain does have a past association with his group, but it looks like it has been years since she was actively involved with him."

"He probably didn't want to be involved with a psychopath," I replied. "He's generally a good pony for a Shimmerist. I'm somewhat sad I betrayed his trust years ago, if only because he does try his best to be welcoming to everyone."

"What did you do to him to piss him off?" Number asked.

I shrugged. "His mages were the ones that had the knowledge about ETS taken from Equestria. He invited me to speak to his mages to see if we could work together. I got the information and immediately signaled the feds to raid the place and watched as they arrested each and every mage at the facility. They had plotted with the Equestrian nobles in that foolhardy attempt to set up an Equestrian protectorate, and I couldn't let any uncontrolled elements have access to that information. I did what I had to do. Water Wings is lucky I didn't have the feds come for him too."

Tempest looked up from her phone at me. "Why didn't you?"

I took a bite of my salad and finished chewing and swallowing before I answered. "Colorado had a string of idiot Shimmerist leaders who were practically leading us towards civil war with humans. Water Wings was a break from that chain. If he could galvanize other local Shimmerist leaders into following him out of their shared hatred for me, that works for me, as long as it advanced my agenda, and my agenda there was keeping the peace and bringing humans into Shimmerist ranks. Water Wings fit my needs perfectly. I wasn't going to sacrifice him to jail without need."

Tempest hmmed and went back to looking at her phone. "While Water Wings is the most influential Shimmerist in the region, even having strong control over many Shimmerists in nearby states, he is far from having complete control. The west is a hotbed for radical Shimmerists, and countless smaller groups, often a dozen ponies or less in each, exist. Some of these are in direct opposition to him and broke away from his leadership. They don't have any more love for you and are much more open to violence."

"Wild wild west," I said and took a sip of my sweet tea. It wasn't bad tea, but I thought I might prefer Lántiān's. "You might try getting in contact with Water Wings, just to see if he knows anything."

"He kind of hates your guts. Why would he help?" Number asked.

I leaned in over the table. "Because they're threatening innocent foals to hurt me. Water Wings might be willing to let them string me up, but he won't let foals and other innocents get hurt for the sake of that. It will taste bad to him, helping me, but he'll do the right thing."

Number considered. "Best that we leave contacting him to someone other than you. No need to have to see the pony he hates if we're trying to get his help. It could make things complicated. I've got channels. I'll reach out and let you know how it goes."

I nodded. "Fain is just one person we are dealing with. Someone else is pulling strings, and if we can't find out through her, we need to investigate other options. How about this Howler guy? FBI said his name is Dog Bite or Donald Shea was his human name."

Tempest was silent for a few seconds, probably as she was switching up her search. "No violent criminal record as far as I can tell. Some noise ordinance violations on account of his dogs. He is associated with some radical Shimmerist groups… and oddly, a radical Harmonist group."

I arched an eyebrow. "Does this radical Harmonist group have money?"

Tempest did some searching and nodded. "Periodically. They get different donors at different times. At one point, you were the one funding them. Currently, their leader is wanted by the FBI in connection to some sort of experimentation they were doing in Nevada back when you employed them. The records are unclear on exactly what they did. That information is beyond my security clearance to access, which is normally a bad sign."

I scrunched up my muzzle in disgust. "Doctor Rossman and his team, those fucking bastards."

"I've heard that name recently, but can't place it," Number said as she chewed on her lip.

"He's the pony that made Bursa," I replied with a growl.

Number whistled. "Oh, shit."

Tempest gave me a confused look. "I'm out of the loop. Who or what is Bursa?"

"A victim of his experiments," I answered. "I discovered late after hiring Rossman and his team that he wanted to use transformation magic to try to make an alicorn. I fired him as soon as I found out, but he had already been conducting experiments with transformation magic without my knowledge. Wild only recently uncovered this."

"Believe me, you don't want to see what shape he left Bursa in," Number breathed. "It's monstrous." She looked at me. "Interesting that one of our possible assailants has ties to him, and these attacks started so soon after Bursa was discovered."

"Very interesting. It also ties why Shimmerists and Harmonists might find common ground if he is connected at all," I replied darkly.

"If he can get to where he can make an alicorn with transformation magic, he can also probably replicate ETS," Tempest said as she set her phone down.

I nodded. "Bingo. And guess who the best resource there is on transformation magic?"

Number gave a sad shake of her head. "Sounds like a possible motive on his side if he is involved, and Shimmerists are more than willing to be his hired muscle when it comes to dealing with you. They get to see you suffer, and they possibly get a shiny new ETS spell out of it. Win-win for them."

I laid my ears flat. "This is all wild speculation at this point; we can't confirm any of this or even say how likely, but it is something worth looking into. It still leaves unanswered who the hell is funding this? Rossman doesn't have his own resources; he gets grants and funding from others like he did from me. If he is involved, he wouldn't be the one pulling the strings. At the moment, he and his team have gone into hiding since they are wanted ponies. So any funding would be completely off the record. None of these people are rolling in wealth. We're at another dead end."

Tempest cupped her hands together and stared at them. "There is an obvious possible source of near-limitless income that we are ignoring, one that would be interested in a new ETS spell, possibly making an alicorn, and to top it off, obtaining Yinyu's foals."

Number chewed worriedly on her lip some more. "If it is them, then we are in some really deep shit. So let's hope that is not the case. The FBI even making an investigation into them is something that has to be treated very carefully. If it is them, I don't know what we can do. We can't fight Érzi if he is bound and determined to play this game."

I shook my head. "Let's not allow our imaginations to run wild. The only one we can confirm as being involved is Fain. So we focus primarily on her. She didn't object to having anything to do with attacks on Blessingists when I told her to leave them alone. Maybe we can search up information about the missing Blessingists and see if any of them have previous run-ins with her. Speaking of missing people, Howler or Dog Bite or whatever you want to call him went missing recently as well; perhaps we should be looking for other Shimmerists that suddenly went off the grid in the last week."

"A good idea," Tempest said as she picked her phone back up.

Number looked at Tempest. "Do you ever smile or joke?"

Tempest gave Number a dirty look. "I hardly think the current situation calls for either of those things."

"I don't see you do those things even when the situation does call for it," Number replied.

Tempest sighed. "When I was younger, I was filled with a lot of rage and could be quite cruel. Then Princess Luna took me in and helped me bring myself calm and focus. As her guard, I was required to keep a neutral expression and to avoid the sarcasm and biting remarks that had characterized me before. I kept this habit after shifting over to guarding Phobia; it is simply professional behavior. But don't worry, little pony, just because I'm not saying my sarcasm and nasty put-downs about you two don't mean I'm not thinking them. My inner monologue helps me stomach dealing with ponies like yourself and Sunset Blessing. If I regularly let it out for you, there's a chance that it could start slipping out for Phobia's foals too, and accidentally hurting them with thoughtless words I said only in the moment is something that would hurt me just as much. I have a target to let out on, and her name is Crystal, because Crystal understands the distinction between when I mean something and when I'm just being mean."

Considering what I knew from Rosetta, I could understand Tempest here. Rosetta said Tempest legitimately loved my grandfoals, and I could appreciate the former pony's desire not to hurt them emotionally.

"I'm going to join the foals and spend time with them like I promised," I announced. "We've done all we can do with this brief discussion, and we can do more research after we return to the mansion tonight. I only wanted to make sure all three were on the same page. I still need to discuss this all with Starlight."

"And I need to speak to Wild," Number said. "I'll make a call during the baseball game. I doubt I will be paying it much attention."

"We'll see how the foals feel about it," I said with a shrug. "This is their new home, and that's their hometown team. Should always be willing to support and cheer the people that represent your home."

"Could have picked a different sport," Number mumbled. "Oh well, if they have fun, that's great for them. Go hang out with them, and you can hear all about the vintage playset I bought them—an original Turtles sewer playset from the original toy line. The thing cost a pretty penny. Your parents helped them pick out some decorations as well."

I frowned as I got up. "I'll need to spend some time with Méng when I can; he is in danger of being drowned out by his brothers and even his niece."

Tempest reached out a hand and stopped me. "Before you join them, I would like to discuss a more personal matter with you." She looked at Number. "Alone."

I wondered what this was about. Several different options floated through my brain, some I was more comfortable than others having a candid discussion about. Primarily, the odd whatever relationship thing she had or didn't have going with my daughter.

I stood up. "We can take a walk to the restroom. No need to tell Number to scram."

Tempest frowned, but stood up and nodded. She collected our empty salad bowls and all the trays.

We walked by the place to drop the trays off, and while she was dumping the trash in the garbage, she whispered to me. "I spotted Fain scouting us from the second story of the food court. You don't need to look; she is long since gone and was not there long. I did not want to draw attention to the fact I noticed her."

I still looked up to see if I could spot her. Which made me instantly feel like a fool because that was precisely why Tempest hadn't said anything earlier. "Is that what you wanted to discuss?"

Tempest shook her head. "No, that was just a detail I felt was worth mentioning. What I wanted to discuss was your daughter, Phobia."

The uncomfortable conversation was incoming. I did not want to have this conversation with her. I had no idea how I was supposed to feel about the entire thing. I only knew I didn't like it, whether that was fair or not.

"You seem upset," Tempest said as she looked at me.

"Thank you, Doctor Phil," I snapped. I didn't mean to snap, but it just came out.

Tempest glared back. "I don't know the reference, but I understand the tone. Did I completely miss some sort of drama between you and her? I know my emotional responses have changed since I have become human, and you Earthling ponies were always kind of messed up in the head anyway, but you suddenly getting hostile is still throwing me off."

I shook my head, trying to clear it. "Sorry, I'm just having a hard time processing things regarding you, my daughter, and Rosetta."

"Excuse me?" Tempest asked in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"The fact you and my daughter might be a thing," I answered as I sat down with my ears hung low.

Tempest stared at me as if she was not comprehending what I was saying. Oh crap.

"That wasn't what you wanted to talk about… was it?" I asked sheepishly.

Tempest licked her lips. "No… it wasn't that. Where would you get the idea that Phobia and I… we aren't a thing."

"Rosetta said there is something there, between you two," I explained. "Maybe she misread things, and I got myself worked up about it. Do you have feelings for my daughter? Does she have them for you?"

Tempest gave me a deer in the headlights look. It was the first time I had ever seen such an expression on her face as a pony or human. "I… I don't know… I have not considered...this is something I do not wish to discuss at this time either. You bringing up the subject just introduced an entire swarm of confused thoughts in my head, and I need time to sort them out."

I took a deep breath. "Fine. Let's forget this whole conversation happened. What did you want to ask me about?"

Tempest took a few seconds to gather herself. "What I meant to ask you was if you had any advice for getting Phobia to leave the house. She has always been somewhat isolated since I took on a job as bodyguard for her, far more isolated than when I encountered her before that. I understand the rape has a lot to do with that, but she seems to be getting even more isolated since the Cataclysm. From a protection standpoint, this is great, but from the standpoint of someone concerned about her mental and emotional health, that is deeply problematic. I'm asking as someone who… someone who cares about your daughter, and not as her bodyguard. As her mother, do you have any idea how to help fix this?"

I sighed. "No, unfortunately not. She isn't a foal or child that can be forced to go outside, which is what I sometimes had to do with her back then. She'd do it if ordered to. She would put on that damned jacket of hers, even if it were the middle of summer, like she was trying to put on some armor against the world. She found Tonya, and that friendship was enough to keep her going outside. I never understood why they became fast friends back then, but I guess it became clear when ETS came. They shared an experience and stress that the rest of us couldn't understand."

Tempest considered this. "So… maybe she could be asked to join a support group instead of getting treated in her dreams or having doctors come to her? Others who are dealing with the same things she is?"

I looked up in shock. "She hasn't been doing that already?"

Tempest shook her head. "She has always been insistent that the doctors come to her; such groups were out of the question. I could try to insist. If you and Rosetta joined me in doing so, it might budge her. It could lead to an argument, but it could work."

"I thought you elite Dreamwarden bodyguards did everything your Dreamwarden tells you without question," I remarked.

She snorted. "I will do what I'm told, but if I disagree, I will still make that clear. I would be doing her a disservice if I never spoke my mind to her. I have disagreed with her many times and told her every time it has happened. She listens to my argument, and sometimes she changes course because of it, and other times she doesn't. Whoever told you that we do things without question was misinformed. Questioning isn't just our right; it is our responsibility if we have issues with what we are being told to do. To put it bluntly in terms I learned on Earth; if my Dreamwarden is being a dumbass I'm going to call her a dumbass and tell her why."

That brought up something else that was coming. "I'm getting assigned bodyguards from your elite. Are they going to listen to me, or am I going to have to go running to a Dreamwarden every time there is a disagreement?"

Tempest shrugged. "That depends on who is assigned and how exactly the Dreamwardens express their instructions regarding guarding you. If you have concerns about that, bring it up with Yinyu, Arbiter, and Phobia. I believe those three are the ones making decisions about who your guards will be, since they have vested interests. The other three aren't involved in that process."

"Well, if you want me to help pressure her, just let me know," I said with a grunt. "I want my daughter to be happy."

"As do I," Tempest replied without looking at me. "As do I."

PreviousChapters Next