• Published 10th May 2020
  • 5,542 Views, 278 Comments

Pandemic: Starting Over - Halira



A unicorn with an unscrupulous past finds herself as a guardian to five orphaned foals. Now she must help them after their world has fallen down, and they must help her become a better pony.

  • ...
17
 278
 5,542

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12: Dealing With Challenges

Some days the world laughed at me.

There are things that people can take for granted when they've done them a certain way so long. One thing I took for granted was how much I used my horn for everyday tasks.

The foals all sat behind me in the kitchen, as I stared up at the cabinets that had the necessary food in them. Oh, there were a few things in the refrigerator, but all the dry goods were kept high. It might seem silly, being a pony and keeping essential goods in cabinets that weren't easy to reach, but with my ability to just grab what I wanted with my magic I never had a problem with it. It was a holdover from how I stored things when I was a human that I never stopped doing. In my old house back in Riverview I'd even done it this way, since Ton- since my wife could just fly up and grab what she wanted as well. I now had a new appreciation for what earth ponies endured.

"Why are they so high?" Shǔguāng asked, staring up at the cabinets.

I scolded. "Because that's where I keep things."

"But why even put cabinets that high for ponies?" He asked. "They should be lower."

"Because this place is for hosting people with lots of money that SPEC wants to impress, and most of those people are humans."

"Why do they want to impress the humans?"

"So the humans will give money to SPEC."

"What's SPEC?"

"Something I'm not explaining right now."

"Why do they have stuff high?"

"Because humans are taller than us, and it isn't a problem for them."

"Why not make it all low, since they can reach stuff low easier than we can reach stuff that's high?"

"Because we want to be accommodating to them."

"But why is there pony stuff in other places in the house and not here?"

"Because it just is," I snapped, not remarking that there were cabinets lower than these and I just failed to utilize them. "Can you stop asking questions?"

"But why-"

I spun around and glared, and whatever he was going to ask died on his lips.

Hé Líng decided to start immediately after I was done silencing his brother "<Why are we sitting here? Where's lunch?>"

I groaned. I had earlier cursed about the fact the items were out of reach, but had done it in English. Apparently Hé Líng didn't pick up on what was going on, and I didn't feel like another round of questions in Mandarin.

"<We need some help getting lunch,>" I replied in a gruff tone that I hoped would cut off any more questions. "<Everyone follow me. We're going to walk next door for a minute. Méng should be safe on the couch by himself for a few minutes.>"

Rather than worry about whether Qīng Yǔ would be able to keep up, or would even understand she needed to follow me, I simply bit down on the scruff of her neck and transferred her to my back. Thankfully, she put up no protest about it, and she simply gripped onto me. I then led the two brothers out of the kitchen and out the front door of the house.

It was summer, and that meant it was hot outside, although not as hot as the summer days in South Carolina, plus it was a dry heat rather than a humid one. The mountains were visible on the western horizon, and a red brick wall surrounded the mostly vacant condo complex. There was an unmarked van that either paparazzi or government agents parked just across the street from the gate. I didn't see any signs of reporters out by the gate, and smiled that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I spotted Hé Líng eagerly eying the complex's swimming pool, and decided that might be a good distraction for the colts that required me to only to supervise- if they knew how to swim.

"<Follow me,>" I instructed, and led them all to the condo next door.

I gave the front door of the neighboring condo a few knocks and then patiently waited. After less than half a minute the door opened to reveal Trixie standing with a bathrobe on and a steaming cup of coffee hovering beside her.

Trixie yawned wide and looked at them sleepily. "The great and powerful Trixie doesn't do magic shows until at least an hour after noon."

I smiled pleasantly at her. "Hi Trixie, I was wondering if you could give us some assistance. My horn is still on the fritz, and I have all the food I need for lunch out of my physical reach."

She arched an eyebrow. "Do I get included in lunch if I help? All we have here is a dozen varieties of coffee and twice as many types of alcohol."

"Of course," I replied.

Trixie's mouth curved into a big grin as she set her coffee mug down somewhere out of sight. "Then the great and magnanimous Trixie will be more than happy to help you with your tasks as you wait to overcome your distressing temporary disability! No one is as helpful and as caring for those in need as the great and helpful Trixie!"

I gestured at Hé Líng. "I'd also appreciate it if you could cast the spell so he can understand English."

Trixie whipped back her mane dramatically. "Once Trixie has been given dessert in addition to lunch."

I rolled my eyes. "Dessert it is. Bless you, Trixie."

She turned to me and blinked. "Why'd you say that? I didn't sneeze."

"It's a way of saying thank you in addition to what is said after a sneeze," I explained.

She grimaced and flicked her tail. "Earth languages and expressions are weird."

The sound of the gate opening caught my ear, and I turned to see a black car driving in. They were here much quicker than I thought they'd be. So much for having lunch. "You can just go next door with the foals and make yourself at home in the kitchen. I think I'm going to be busy for a little while."

Trixie looked out at the car and frowned. "Right." She turned to the foals. "Come along, and let's get some chow."

I transferred the filly from my back to Trixie's and stepped away, and started walking out towards the car as it parked. The car doors opened and I saw that the agents consisted of a human man, a pitch black earth pony mare, and a dull brown unicorn stallion. I took a second look at the earth pony mare and realized she wasn't an earth pony at all, but instead a crystal pony. I only knew of one crystal pony that was pitch black, and I didn't know if I should be more honored or worried that they thought she was necessary for dealing with me. Any regular crystal pony would have been more than enough for dealing with me, even if I wasn't dealing with magical exhaustion. Having her here was overkill.

"Sunset Blessing," the man greeted as he stepped towards me. "I'm Anthony Heller, here on behalf of the US government. We would like to ask you a few questions in regards to an investigation."

I stopped a few feet from them and sat down as he was pulling out his identification. "No need for the ID, Agent Heller. We've never met, but I've followed your career since ETS. I'm a little surprised such a high profile inquisition came out to meet me." I pointed a leg at the crystal mare. "Don't you think she is more than a little excessive? In case you haven't heard, I'm currently suffering magic exhaustion, and I'm not exactly the strongest magic user when at my best."

"There is something to be said about how skill is normally more important than raw power with a mage, and your reputation suggests that you could be quite formidable in that regard. We want the best when dealing with you," Heller replied. "But to clarify, procedure says when questioning any pony in regards to potential federal crimes we are required to have sufficient enough crystal pony backup in case of trouble. I think she counts as being sufficient, and she also just happened to be close by when the call to come question you came in."

I had no way of being sure if he was being honest about her just happening to be the closest available crystal pony, but decided not to press the issue. "Well then, ask your questions. I don't have access to my old files, so I can only answer them as best I can from memory."

He nodded. "Understood and noted. Before we begin, there are some other matters that I feel need to be addressed, off the record."

I cocked an eyebrow. "Such as?"

"Your decision to move to this area is of some concern to members in my department," Heller explained. "It seems you are deliberately putting yourself at risk, and we would like to better understand why. Especially if we have to come out and try to save you at some point."

At risk? "What are you talking about? Why am I endangering myself by living in Denver?"

Heller frowned at me. "Surely you know, there are radical Shimmerist elements in the region that very much want you dead."

"Is that all?" I asked with a dismissive laugh. "There are always people that want me dead. I was told that- that abomination of a pony that attacked my wife was there for that very purpose." Things might have been better if he had easy access to me and killed me. Maybe everything wouldn't have gone to hell in Riverview if he had.

"These Shimmerists are in connection to a particular lab you shut down- a different lab than the one we need to question you about," Heller further explained. "This one had the ponies arrested in regards to treason against the United States. Does this ring any bells?"

"I remember that one," I said slowly. "What I seized from them ended up being critical in my own research. I don't see where they are a threat though, unless you let those treasonous fools out of jail."

Heller shook his head. "Those researchers had families who weren't arrested, and they've gone to ground after making it very clear they intend vengeance. These aren't reasonable people. They may well attack you and the Dreamwarden's foals without care for their own safety. In their mind you ruined their lives and took their loved ones away from them."

"It doesn't matter where I go, Agent Heller. I am no more at risk on their doorstep than in New York, Paris, or Tokyo. If they want me so badly they will find me," I replied wearily. "Colorado is one of the few places I have ties to that don't involve me dominating its local politics. I needed to get away from all of it. That's the whole reason I'm here, no more and no less. Please, just get on with your questioning."

"As you wish," he replied gruffly. He then signaled the unicorn agent and the stallion pulled out a recording device.

My interrogation went on for most of an hour. There wasn't much in the way of surprise questions. I detailed as best I could what I knew about the staff at the Nevada lab- which wasn't much since I was only familiar with their lead, Doctor Rossman. I explained the circumstances that led to my severing ties with them, which involved a staff member who wasn't in agreement with the rest of the staff leaking to me plans Rossman had been making for experiments in trying to create an alicorn. Denying that I knew of any experiments which had taken place, and confirming I believed I dismissed them before any such thing could happen. Explaining that I had not reported anything as I thought I had stopped it before any crime could happen, and didn't think they could continue without SPEC resources, and not wishing to have people prosecuted for crimes that they may have intended, but ultimately did not do.

There was also a line of questions that I had been expecting and dreading, ones related to the projects Wild had been grilling me on. It wasn't like I didn't want to answer, or want to instruct them to just go ask the Dreamwardens because I had no earthly idea what on God's green Earth I was contracted to make. Compelled contracts were ironclad, and I could not break them. I'd myself tried in vain to find out what I'd been doing, but both Phobia and Tonya both flatly refused to discuss it with me. It hurt, especially in regards to Tonya, having them refuse to be open with me about it, but there wasn't much I could do about it.

"I think that is enough for now," Heller finally said. "If we have any more questions we will follow up at a later date. Currently you aren't being charged with anything, and are simply a person of interest in this investigation."

"Anthony!" A voice called out from somewhere behind me. I turned and saw Starlight trotting out of her condo towards us with a big smile on her face.

Heller smiled in turn. "Starlight, it is good to see you. I was not aware you would be here."

Starlight came to a stop beside me, still beaming at Heller. "Wild Growth is giving me and Trixie somewhere to stay away from the main hustle and bustle. It's great to see you too. I only ever seem to see you when there's some crisis happening." She paused and looked at me, then to the crystal pony, then back to Heller, then frowned. "Okay… what is she in trouble for, and should I be concerned the world is going to blow up or something?"

I laid my ears back at her. "Starlight! A little faith, please."

She gave me an embarrassed look. "Sorry, but I'm a reformed villain and I am friends with several reformed villains. I know nopony is perfect, and old habits sometimes die hard."

The onyx crystal mare looked ill and Starlight redirected her attention to her. "Something wrong?"

The mare shook her head. "My fault for trying to read your magic. You top elite level powers always feel a little overwhelming, even for me. You'd have to be a crystal pony to really appreciate the difference between an average pony's magic and a pony like you, Wild Growth, or an alicorn."

Starlight blinked. "Oh… um, sorry about that. I hope you feel better," She turned back to Heller. "You were saying about my friend here?"

"As far as I know at this time there has been no wrongdoing on Miss Blessing's part, and if there was, it was not something she did recently," Heller explained. "I wish I could stay and chat, but we really must be going. Have a pleasant day."

"Okay…goodbye," Starlight said in a disappointed voice. She then turned to me. "I just woke up a few minutes ago. I hadn't planned on being awake all night watching your foal."

I watched as the agents got back in the car and it slowly left the area. "Thank you for doing that. I've arranged for a foalsitter for him going forward, at least for the time being. Wild is moving me, and I need to see if the same person will be available there. I'm not even sure where I'm going yet, other than it's some historic mansion."

"Mansion? Well, at least it's an upgrade in accommodations," Starlight replied with a grin.

I frowned. "If it is a historic mansion I doubt it will have much in it that will be easy for ponies to use. It shouldn't be too much trouble for me personally, and probably not Lántiān, but the younger foals might need extra help with things there. I suppose we'll work it out though. It isn't as if we have much choice."

"I'm sure Wild Growth will give you leeway to make changes where needed," Starlight said.

I nodded. "Yeah, she said she was considering giving it to one of my grandfoals when they're older. That assumes that it has been made pony ready, and that means someone has to actually do the remodelling before then. I guess I'm her handymare."

Starlight looked down towards the ground. "About earlier… I didn't mean to come off as insensitive to what you're going through and push you to do things you aren't ready to do yet."

"And may never be," I added in, then sighed. "But I understand what you were trying to say. Wild told me she was helping me in part because Twilight Sparkle said she thought I could do good. I remember Princess Luna also seemed to think I could as well. Luna even has an open invitation for me to call upon her in my dreams when she is on Earth. She wants to mentor me."

Starlight's head shot up and she stared at me wide-eyed. "Luna wants you as a personal student? And you didn't say yes?"

"I didn't say yes or no. I told her I just wanted to be away from everything right now," I said quietly. "I thought I was doing a good job of that, but my wife and Yinyu decided to force me out of my personal seclusion. I still don't understand why they thought I'd be a good caregiver."

Starlight glanced back at the house then back at me. "Those foals have just gone through a major loss of the most important family member in their life, while at the same time trying to cope with the idea that family member is now a permanent spirit in the dream realm and likely becoming more alien to them by the day. Tell me, does that sound familiar? Is there any other pony other than you who can fully emphasize with what they're going through?"

"They haven't really talked about it much," I replied.

"But you know they are thinking about it," Starlight stressed. "I doubt you've done much talking about your own loss, based on your outburst, but I can tell it's been constantly on your mind. Just because they aren't talking about it doesn't mean much. It's only a matter of time before they are having their own outbursts."

I shook my head. "I'm not a psychologist."

She stomped and I involuntarily flinched. "Horsefeathers! I learned a lot about you on my own back when Twilight suggested I try getting to know you and help you. I know you would study the psych profiles of everyone you were going to try to influence so you would know what to say to them. You're also a public speaker who spends time reading the crowd and a politician who reads situations and plans accordingly. You might not be a psychologist in a traditional sense, but you have always employed those skills. I am your friend, and part of a friend's job is reminding their friends how capable they really are."

I didn't reply, afraid that if I did I would fire off another angry retort. Starlight watched me for a moment then laid a hoof on my shoulder. "Look, I can't understand what you are going through right now, much as I want to, but those foals might. Right now you're the friend they need, because you're the only one who can possibly understand what they're going through. Maybe in time they can be the friends you need for the same reason. I think that might be why Yinyu and your wife pushed for you to be the guardian. Just consider that, okay?"

"I'll consider it," I answered, although she neglected to think about how those foals had no reason to feel responsibility for their mother's death, while I had every reason to feel responsibility for my wife's. "I guess I should be getting inside. Trixie is watching the foals at the moment, and it isn't that I don't trust her, but-"

"But she's Trixie," Starlight finished for me. "I'll come with you. I'm only needed on business a few sporadic days over the next two weeks, and today isn't one of them. It's part of the reason I wanted to get housed away from things while I was on this current trip. I could be on-world in case anyone here needed to get in contact with me quickly- if there was something that happened on a day I wasn't working that I needed to know about, but I could treat this as a mini-vacation on the days I wasn't needed."

I smiled. "I appreciate it. I need all the help I can get." My smile instantly fell as I saw Lántiān coming in for a landing. I had told her that she needed to be back before two hours were up, and it had been over an hour. It was just that I had wanted time to appreciate the respite from her. Hopefully she at least enjoyed her time away from me.

I forced my smile back on for Starlight. "Go on in and I'll be behind you in a minute. I just need to check on Lántiān before we join you."

Starlight looked over at the filly and her ears sagged. "I'll do that. By the way, I stand by what I said about them needing you as a friend, but I think she especially needs you even more than her siblings do. Good luck with her."

I groaned internally. She might need me, but I needed an aspirin every time I was around her.

Author's Note:

PreviousChapters Next