• Published 30th Aug 2018
  • 1,801 Views, 20 Comments

Hearthfire & Wintertides - Deathscar



Tempest, now in a relationship, thought that she had escaped her past. But when Hearth's Warming arrives and she's asked to return to the village she abandoned all those years ago, she realizes she must either face her past or sacrifice the present

  • ...
8
 20
 1,801

Chapter 4: In Time

The snow-capped mountains, flanked by crystal white fields of grass, whizzed by at an alarming rate. Sunset stared at the scenery with wondrous eyes and a small smile. There were a million things she could’ve been smiling about. Though which exactly, nopony could say. Sunset reached under her seat, pulling out her journal as she levitated a pen over. She clicked it several times as she flipped the book open to the first free page she could find.

“Hey,” Sunset whispered under her breath as she began to scribble. It was a habit she was never quite aware of, and one she didn’t mind even when she was told about it. “I know I said it before, but I need to say it again. You were right, the scenery here is beautiful.” She paused, tapping the pen against her chin before returning it to the page. “Wish you could be here. But I bet the Crystal Empire is as beautiful too. Signed, Sunset Shimmer.”

“Do you really have to sign off every entry with your name?” Tempest asked as she gazed over her shoulder. “I mean, she knows it’s you. No one else uses that book.”

“It’s called etiquette,” Sunset said just as she finished her last stroke of her signature.

“I’m only asking. Just doesn’t seem very practical. It’s a waste of ink and energy.”

“Look.” Sunset closed the book and pointed the pen towards Tempest. “If I can finish this pen without losing it first, then I’ll hold you to that.”

Tempest gazed at Sunset with a smirk. “Losing items? You would not last one moment under my command.”

“That’s thinking that I want to be under your command at all,” Sunset said with a smirk. She sat the pen aside and laid her head upon Tempest’s lap.There came a growl, though this time, it wasn’t from Tempest’s stomach. Sunset blushed and attempted to look away.

“Somepony’s hungry.”

“Wow, is that some of that signature ‘Captain’ instinct coming into play?”

“No?” Tempest stared, confused. “I just heard your stomach grumbling and made a proper deduction.” Sunset’s half-lidded stare only confused Tempest further.

“I have to teach you sarcasm one of these days.”

Suddenly, an idea came into Tempest’s mind. She reached into her saddlebag and pulled out the two desserts she had almost forgotten about.

“Wow.” Sunset grabbed one of the pudding cups, smiling. “How’d you know this was my favorite?”

“Pinkie Pie gave these to me,” admitted Tempest. Sunset launched forth, planting a kiss onto Tempest’s cheek, drawing a shocked stare from the mare.

“I still appreciate it. Thank you.” Sunset pulled the plastic top open, scooping one bite into her mouth. “And thanks for coming, Fizz.”

Tempest didn’t reply. It was her turn to gaze out the window. The sight of the speeding forest trees sent a nervous pit into her stomach. She had not seen them for decades now. And in all that time, they looked as if they had not changed.

I’m still not sure that this is a good idea.

“It is,” Sunset replied. Tempest stared at her with a look of awed fear, causing Sunset to giggle. “I’ve gotten really good at guessing what other peopl— umm… ponies are thinking. You know, Element of Empathy and all that.”

“Another thing I’m going to have to get used to,” Tempest muttered, pulling open her very own pudding cup and scooping a delicious, jiggling morsel into her muzzle.

“Attention passengers!” spoke the conductor over the intercom. “Next stop, Wintertide village!”

Tempest felt a wave of anxiety slam into her like an airship at full speed. And she could only discern it showed on her face as well when Sunset patted her cheek with a hoof. “It’ll be okay.”


“My turn!” One foal called out. He closed his eyes, waited, then flipped a coin into the river.

“What did you wish for?” a mare standing behind him, which Tempest could only assume to be his mother, asked.

“If it comes true, I’ll tell you!”

“My turn, my turn!”

Tempest stood just before the stone arch bridge, cloaked in a hooded winter coat, staring wistfully at the line of foals and their parents at the Wishing River’s side. She could easily imagine herself among them, giggling with anticipation for her turn. Her mind a mess as she attempted to decide on what one thing she should wish for.

“Fizz.” She felt a hoof being placed upon her shoulder, snapping her back to reality.

“Sorry. I was just…”

“I know. Come on.” Sunset held Tempest’s hoof and led her over the bridge, past the wooden sign that read ‘Welcome to Wintertide Village’. The houses, with their wavy walls and arching architecture, looked exactly how Tempest had remembered it. The cobblestone streets, too, not only looked familiar, but felt so too as she trotted upon it. It looked as if it had been locked in time. Stowed away from any crystal castles or looming spires.

They moved down the streets, past the shops that laid in warm buildings. Tempest paused and gazed through one of the windows. A small gathering of fillies and foals were lined up at the wooden counter, gripping candies of all kinds. Lollipops. Gumdrops. Bags of chocolates. And attempting to bring organization to the chaos was the elderly couple at the cashier.

Candy Drop and Peanut Swirl. Tempest felt her heartache at the sight of them. When she had last saw their faces, their manes were a vibrant pink and brown respectively. But now, they were mostly white. Glasses adorned their eyes and they were moving with but a fraction of their usual energy.

She shut her eyes, feeling tear form at its edge.

“You okay?”

“...I can’t do this.” Tempest said, turning away from the window.

“I promised I wouldn’t push. So if you really think you can’t take it, then we’ll head back. But… I know you can face them. And if they bring up the Storm King—”

“I-it’s not that, Sunset,” Tempest tearfully said. “It’s that… seeing Candy and Peanut makes me realize… What if they’re better off without me?” She sobbed as silently as she could, hoping that the passersby don’t notice them. “Maybe this wound is better off not being opened.”

Sunset tenderly grasped both of Tempest’s hooves and stared into her opal eyes. “Fizz, you should face this. Regardless of what happens, I think it’s best for you and them to get closure. And if you wait any longer, you might not get this chance again.”

Tempest lowered her head and nodded. It was a small nod, but it was a nod nonetheless. Sunset wrapped her hooves tightly around Tempest’s shoulders and pulled her into a hug. And when she broke it, she planted a kiss squarely upon Tempest’s muzzle. “And no matter what happens, I’m not going anywhere. We’ll see this through.”

Working up what little of her fading energy she could, Tempest returned to her hooves. With Sunset by her side, she trotted past Proof’s Bakery, Honey Comb’s Honey Shop and the vacant building of what was once Cotton’s Seamstress Shop. Each one brought back a flood of memories, but all laced with a bittersweet tinge. When they crossed into the main square, Sunset stared in frozen surprise at the sight that stood in front of her.

A large tree had been erected in the middle of the square. Bells, tinsels and other festive decorations had been hung from its branches. And underneath, just as Tempest had predicted, were a large array of presents that leaked way past where one could still consider them ‘underneath’. Colts, fillies, mares and stallions were gathered around the distinct landmark. All of them were staring at the choir of ponies singing a merry Hearth’s Warming tune, whose beautiful voices filled the air with unparalleled mirth. But to Tempest, that joy was accompanied with equal parts regret and longing.

I missed this… She had to use all her will to tear herself away from the sight, and head down one of the many neighbourhood paths. She continued on, eventually spotting the one special house, where a bed of white-petaled flowers laid at the front. Rows upon rows of Frostblooms adorned the garden, bringing with them both wonder and fear into Tempest’s heart. She trotted up to the house and faced the door, eyes locked upon the serpentine knocker at the front. She then turned to Sunset, who gave her a comforting smile in return.

Tempest turned back and was barely able to grip the knocker. She wasn’t sure if it was the chilling winter, or her own nerves that made it so hard to grasp. But when she got a firm grip, she swung it back and… found it impossible to push it forward. She froze with her hoof in the air for several seconds, vision blurred with tears and the air stuttered with sobs.

Suddenly, she felt a warm hoof grip hers and push it forward, sending a knock echoing through the outside and, no doubt, in the home as well.

“Coming!” a mare called out.

That voice… Tempest was on the verge breaking down completely. The only thing stopping her from doing so was the feeling of Sunset’s hoof upon hers. Sunset pulled Tempest’s hood down and locked eyes with her. No words crossed them. No words were needed. All Tempest did was stare back, fighting with all her might just to stand up. When the sound of muffled hoofsteps reached their ears, Sunset broke the embrace and stood to the side.

A clank of a bolt. The crack of the doorknob. And the distinct hum of the brass hinges opening. Something that they still had not gotten fixed after all these years. When the wooden door finally opened, there came only one sound.

A gasp.

“Who is it?” a stallion asked from out of view.

There was a sob. Then another. Though this time they were not Tempest’s own.

Tempest stared at the mare at the doorway. Through the falling snow. Through her tears. She only had enough strength and mental power to muster one word, which was spoken with a broken voice over stuttered sobs.

“Hi.”

Comments ( 10 )

Too melodramatic for my liking. I felt like the first half of the third chapter had been excessive, pushing a little too far.

And as a shipping/romance story, it fell a little short for me as well. The story seemed more focused on Tempest/Fizzle and her fear about facing her past and home, with the romance between her and Sunset being a secondary plot, and even then, not very developed. I admit that it may be me, but I never really felt like there was a moment that felt like a genuine romantic couple.

I do like some of what is there, and I see potential in the story, but I just think it could be better.

9141051
Ah, sorry that this story didn't work so well for you. But still, thank you for taking the time to read it and raise some detailed feedback! :) And I'm glad you saw some potential in it! :twilightsmile:

I really, really enjoyed it.
Very nice work Scar, this story was very good.

I liked it, but feel it could have used one or two more chapters. I feel like we didn't get a very good resolution to the main conflict. How do they react? Does it help? Just a few questions I feel were left unanswered and could be worth exploring.

For me, I absolutely loved the ambiguity of the ending. It felt like the story was more about Tempest making that step rather than the resolution of it. Regardless of the outcome, this as a huge step forward for her.

This was good. I like that the focus was on Fizz actually doing the thing rather than the thing happening. I think a bit more in the vein of just what Fizz did through your dream sequences and flashbacks would have added some more impact, but otherwise, you put the attention where it was needed most.

9202112
Thank you for reading it! And yeah, I can definitely see your point. Focusing more on what Tempest did to earn all the drama that happened would've definitely helped reinforced the theme and message. Still though, I'm super happy you liked it! :twilightsmile:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

It was at least melodramatic enough for my liking. :D This is the kind of Tempest fic I wanna see!

9319338
I'm glad! And yay! Tempest is extremely under-represented! She has so much room for interesting exploration!

Login or register to comment