• Published 13th May 2018
  • 7,532 Views, 499 Comments

The Desert Prince - Sparky Brony



New to a strange land, a strange culture. A single pony is lost, no memory of how he got there, what he was before. He has no understanding of the powers, of the prophecies around him and concerning him.

  • ...
21
 499
 7,532

Chapter 28.

A loud knocking gets the pink pegasus to snort. Since her saving that foal only…she looks at the clock on the mantle…six hours before, her energy levels are in the gutter. She groans as the knock on her door is repeated.

“’M comin,” she mumbles as she tumbles out of her bed and takes a moment to lever herself to her hooves. No matter how many times she’s flown fast, and she’s one of the fastest pegasi ever, she’s never been this tired. After she had returned that little colt to his mother, she had hit a wall of exhaustion that she’d never encountered before. She could barely stay in the air to make it home. She stumbled to the door and collapsed against it as whoever was knocking decided they had waited too long and was pounding on the door again. She reached her hoof for the lever and unlatched the door before pulling it open. “What?” She muttered, then her eyes widened.

Two unicorns were standing there, wearing robes that very nearly hid their coloring. She’d only heard about the Adeptes a few times. She tilted her head. “Sparklers down the hall to the left. I need sleep.”

The lead unicorn shrugged off her hood, revealing a white unicorn with a fire-colored mane, a green gem hanging from a gold chain in her mane settled between her emerald eyes. “We are looking for a pegasus, a very specific pegasus.” The gem flashes in the light as she speaks.

Half-heartedly waving her hoof in front of the two, she groans again. "I'm not the pegasus you’re looking for."

"So, you are not Fire Fly?"

The pegasus blinks and groggily takes a step back, before falling into a sitting position she blinks and squints, “Oh wait, I’ve heard of you guys, you are…”

“Our reputation proceedes us. We have been commanded to investigate the magical explosion from today, and upon investigation, we found out it was a pegasus, going faster than has ever been possible. It didn’t take long to find out who you were, Fire Fly. Princess Celestia would like to meet you.”

The pink pegasus blinks, the princess? Wants to see her? She coughs. “I don’t know, I have a job…”

“We know, we’ve talked too your boss. She was happy to cooperate with us. And given the fact you saved that foals life, you should know that the mayor wants to have some words with you as well, after Princess Celestia, of course.”

“Ummm.” Fire Fly scrapes the floor with a hoof, trying to think.

The unicorn smiles. “My name is Sprinkle Medley, you’ve done nothing wrong. Princess Celestia simply wants to talk to you.” She backs away a step and turns, gesturing down the hall. “We have a royal chariot waiting for you.” She tilts her head. “I presume a pegasus such as yourself would be reluctant to teleport?”

Fire Fly nods vehemently. “Yeah, no. I’ll be happy to go with you.”

Sprinkle turns and leads the way, trotting down the hall, glancing back she sees the pegasus slowly following, wobbling a little as she walks. With a sigh Sprinkle rolls her eyes and lights her horn, magic enveloping the pegasus as she lifts her off the ground and floats her up beside her as she starts to trot again. "Just rest then."

***

I am deep in the power of my magic, wrapped in the void, the world itself seems distant, almost slow. That magic, that shape, it’s the same as before, that terrible day. I wrench my head around towards Greenbeard. “Protect them with your life. I will not let them be in danger again!” I try to extend my wings, only my robes don’t have room for the wings. What can I do? I have only seconds. I channel a thin line of fire and slice down, gold chains and white robes part and fall to each side of me, allowing my wings to extend.

“Ki!” Dawn’s voice is lost to the wind as I push desperately down with my wings, leaping into the air. That damned dragon. She took Dawn’s magic once. She will not do it again. I roar with rage as I ascend, I will not allow anyone to be harmed by this creature. As I get closer, my rage grows, the same coloring, the same smirk on her face as she had back in Saddle Arabia.

“Oh, this is going to be fun.” The dragon says as she opens her mouth. I can see the lines of magic, of fire, that she’s gathering.

“Oh, no you don’t!” I scream as I form a blade of spirit and slice at her weaves, parting them easily, getting the burgeoning flames in her mouth to extinguish. She ends up coughing, badly enough she backwings and slows to a hover, holding her chest as she coughs. I press forward, a hard club of air being swung at the dragon.

She raises an arm, taking the brunt of my attack with little more than a soft grunt. “Is that all you’ve got, little pony?” She snarks at me as she gathers more Fire. Though this time, Air and a touch of Water is in the weave. I don’t have time to react as lightning flashes out of the sky, grounding itself into my right wing, getting a scream from me. My wing folds to my side, as I tumble out of the sky.

“No!” I shout as I fall. “NO!!!”

My scream is stopped as I’m caught by a pair of claws. “Don’t think you aren’t going into battle alone.” Guerina’s voice breathes into my ear. “You can take a lightning strike like any pegasus can. Flex your wing, you’re fine.”

We are still descending, though with her help it’s a lot slower than simply falling from the sky. I try to extend my wing, and to my surprise, it follows my bidding. Some sort of natural resistance I guess. The dragon is diving down towards the Waveslasher. She wants to throw lightning at me, well…two can play at that game. Quick as a thought the weave forms and a bolt slams into the dragon.

She arrests her dive and roars at me. “You are going to piss me off!” She shouts as she sends a gout of flame towards me.

“That’s not my goal, dragon,” I growl as I avoid the jet of flames.

I send a slice of Air at her wing. I want her out of the sky. She can’t be a danger to Dawn or the rest if she’s stuck in the water. She gathers spirit and slices my weave, getting it to rebound right into my horn. I grimace through the pain and send another, and another at her.

I should have been paying attention to how far away she was, she thunders past me, her tail smacking me along my side. It takes me a moment to recover and gather my magic. But the snap of a musket being fired has the dragon cursing and turning towards Guerina. Who yelps as the dragon sends a gout of fire her way. I smile grimly as I prepare another weave. Though before I can unleash it, a crashing boom from the sea has me twirling away from the dragon as a cannon ball impacts the chest of the dragon. The Waveslasher has joined in on the fray. I can see Greenbeard directing her crew to load the cannon as another cannon is pointed up at the dragon. The shot had winded the dragon, who is gathering her magic again as another cannon fires. Her attempt to fire is forgotten as she twists to avoid the incoming shot.

I grin as I let loose another lightning bolt, hitting her in her wing. She growls and dives for the ship.

My eyes widen and I dive after her. “No!” I shout. I want her focused on me, not on the ship where Dawn and Ghaliya are. Another pair of booms announces two more cannons being fired. The dragon desperately twists to avoid the shots before she opens her mouth, gathering more fire.

Greenbeard apparently was waiting for that. Her horn shines brightly as threads of Fire form around the dragon, the threads expand and multiply, bringing her dive to a halt as the threads encase her fully. I stop my own headlong descent. “What the?”

"VOLLEY!" Commands Greenbeard, her crew emerging with musketoons, pistols, and blunderbusses att at once They aim and all once release a barrage of whistling lead with a belch of smoke big enough to hide the ship. The dragon goes limp, stunned at the sudden stinging violence and blood pours from its ruptured hide.

Greenbeard gestures for me to come to the deck. I keep an eye on the encased dragon as I move in and land. She’s grimacing as she pours the magical energy into the ball of fire holding the dragon. “What did you do?” I ask in wonder.

She grunts. “I’m a kirin, Ki. Fire and rage is my magic. I couldn’t set up the spell without you distracting her. But I’ve had to deal with naughty dragons before.” She grunts again. “Though this one…”

“Yeah, she’s the one who crippled Dawn.”

That gets a yelp and the kirin disappears, replaced by an enraged Nirik. “You think you can harm somepony under my protection?” She calls out, only to get a roar from inside the ball of fire. The myriad threads of fire constrict around the dragon, holding her tightly. Though the heat of the flames seem to not affect her any more than a rope would not really bother me. She’s calm as Greenbeard brings her closer. “You think you can harm anypony you wish?” Greenbeard shouts.

The dragon shrugs. “To be honest, I thought she was dead in our last fight.”

My wings spread, only to be forestalled by the nirik as she leaps forward. “If death is your wish to inflict on others.” She reinforces the magic around the dragon. “Then you would have no problem with that sentence being carried out on you.”

“No!” I shout. “No killing!”

Greenbeard turns slightly and fixes me with a glare. “How many died in the assault on the City of Gardens? How many innocents is this monster responsible for killing?”

I step back, lifting a hoof slightly. “But…” I start lamely.

“This is my ship, she attacked those under my protection. She fully intended to kill us. By the laws of the sea, she has earned this sentence.” She starts to lower the dragon towards the water. “Into the water you go. Consigned to the deep.”

“Hate to break it to you, little nirik. You may hold me. But I am far from helpless.” The sea around the ship froths as a mist arises, slowly enveloping her as she smirks. As the mists completely cover her form, Greenbeard grunts as the fire holding the dragon fizzles out, leaving the area empty. With a foof, the nirik was reverted back to a kirin and she leaps forward, looking towards the water as it settles down.

“She can teleport?”

I nod. “Unfortunately. She teleported away after she injured Dawn.”

“Damn.” Greenbeard spins away, growling. She keeps her horn lit, peering around, even pulling out her looking glass and panning around. “She’s not renewing her attack. I think she’s gone.” She sags. “That…took a lot out of me.”

I reach over and pat her withers. “It’s okay. Hopefully you won’t have to deal with her again.”

She looks up at me, steel in her eyes. “Promise me, Ki. You encounter her again, go for a kill. Don’t injure her, don’t try to reform her. You kill her, and no regrets. She’s dangerous. Next time I get that dragon, I'm finishing it off; my ship is my realm, me the sovereign, as goes the law of the sea. I will not entertain your interference again!”

"I agree with the captain, that dragon is a danger to every creature. The dragon lord has told stories of her, warnings, really. She is of an old school, forgotten ways." Backburn shakes his head. "Like most dragons, she respects only power, she believes in the rule of might, and that any sign of weakness, even friendship, is a flaw. Not all dragons think that way anymore though. Her, and her twin brother Enyo."

I furrow my brow. “How?” I glance at Ghaliya, Dawn, and Guerina as they walk slowly towards us. “How do you know this?”

His face contorts into a snarl. “Her and her brother were…taken?” The snarl softens a bit. “Traded? gifted?” He looks down and shrugs. “The story isn't clear about that, but they were brought to the alicorns of old to be trained in the ways of magic. I always thought that story was just a myth, a story told to scare hatchlings." He turns and places his claws on the railing, looking out over the water, "She's dangerous, evil in ways few would understand. Both of them are now. But when combined with their magic, they could even pose a risk to someone such as you. I would have thought they would be in a magical hibernation if anything, since it has been so long. From before the Princess, before any known time. But that was her, I’m certain of it. A magic user dragon. Red and gold, but with those steel like horns, that curve to the sides of her head.” He stops and shudders for a moment before turning to look at us. “For them to be up, active...” He looks down. “Something powerful, dark, must be out there, and has awoken them." He raises his voice. “This is a dark time, hear me. A new alicorn, stories of old brought to life.” He shakes his head. “I want no part of this.” He looks at me. “And the sooner we can get you to shore, the better. It is my Captain’s decision, but the sooner you are gone, the safer we are.”

Greenbeard steps over to her first mate, putting a hoof on his shoulder. “We made commitments, and we shall honor them.” She turns and looks at me. “As he said, we will be making haste back to Dammam, so you can head home.”

My eyes widen, contemplating the words of the drake. That pony that had stopped time during our battle. Was this Bellona and Enyo in thrall to this pony? I turn and look at Dawn and Ghaliya, and I can’t help but smile.

“Betrothed, it is not yet sundown.” Ghaliya says, gesturing to the setting sun. “But that time is near.”

My eyes widen, looking down at myself. My robes, the jewelry, the finery. Only a moment has me remembering that I sliced everything off of me so I could fight the dragon. I look down. “It will take some time to prepare, love.”

Dawn’s horn is lit. “Not so much as you might think. You have months of learning your magic. I, however, have many years.” My robes float up and around me. With a flash, they are whole and settle on my frame. The gold chains are reassembled around my neck, and in moments, I’m back to looking how I did before that damned dragon had appeared. Dawn lowers her veil over her eyes. I turn and see Greenbeard has fixed her own finery and is once again beaming at us.

“Before we were so rudely interrupted.” She coughs slightly, glancing at the sun as it starts its slide under the waves. “Let us begin.” She turns to Ghaliya. “Do you, Ghaliya, take the foundling, Ki, to be your husband, from this day and forward. To only be parted by death?”

Ghaliya beams brightly. “Yes.” She’s barely able to whisper with her eyes shining bright with happy tears.

Greenbeard nods her head before turning to Dawn. “You, mage of Equestria, Dawn Shimmer. Do you take this alicorn, a fellow mage, to be your stallion, from this day and forward. Only to be parted by death?”

Dawn looks at me and gulps, once, then twice. Then she nods her head.

Greenbeard clops her hooves together. “Then I declare, for all assembled. You are now wed, and we shall now feast at your union!”

At her proclamation, there is thunderous pounding of hooves on the deck and voices raised in celebration. I stand there. “Aren’t you supposed to ask me?”

Greenbeard tilts her head. “Would you have said no?”

“Well, of course not. But…”

She steps closer to me. “Trust me, Ki. That’s how both mares expected the ceremony to go. Now, eat, drink, and be merry. For tonight, you shall sleep with your wives.” She turns and walks down towards the deck to join her crew. Ghaliya and Dawn are walking, their heads together and they look like they are giggling about something. I start to walk down the stairs, glancing back for a moment and I see Backburn. He’s standing at the ship’s wheel, but his eyes are on me. And I feel a thrill of fear down my back.

***

I don’t want to open my eyes. I’m too comfortable. I have the warmth in front of me that is Dawn, and the warmth behind me that is Ghaliya. I don’t want to move. Having them next to me is the best feeling in my life. I daresay it’s even better than the feeling of using magic. The love these two mares have shown me is truly a joy of my life.

A banging at the door to our cabin has me lifting my head. I can see Dawn is sleeping soundly, her head trapping one of my forehooves to the bed. And Ghaliya’s foreleg around my barrel has me pretty much pinned. I try to think of something to say, but the door opens a bit and Guerina slips in. She stops, looking at us in the bed, raising a claw to hold over her mouth. “Please, I don’t need that much cute this morning.”

I glare at her. “You know, we could have been…”

“Oh, I thought of that possibility, Ki. That’s why I listened at the door. You weren’t grunting so I decided to risk it.”

My eyes widen. “I do not…”

Ghaliya’s chiming laugh cuts me off. “Oh, but it’s so cute though.” Getting my face to very nearly literally catch on fire.

“I thought you were asleep, love.” I’m able to mutter.

Again, that beautiful laugh has any ire I feel at the impudent griff melting. “Oh, love. We’ve pretty much been sequestered in our cabin for the last three weeks.” She looks at Guerina. “Does our illustrious captain have reason to rouse the newlyweds from their cabin?”

Guerina looks down. “Well, I’m not down here at the behest of Greenbeard. But I wanted you to know, we just passed the breakwaters. We’ll be pulling into a berth very soon. The captain has been wielding the winds just enough to get us home at a reasonable time. But we need to pack up our things and get ready to head home.”

Ghaliya nods. “Very well, then.” She nudges me. “Would you wake my sister-wife, please, love?”

“’M awake.” Dawn slurs, lifting her head slowly.

I note with some amusement the thin line of drool hanging from the side of her jaw. I dart me head forward to kiss her cheek. “Thank you, love, for a beautiful night.”

That gets a bright blush from Dawn as I turn my head and kiss Ghaliya. My heart accelerates with the touch, and I close my eyes, enjoying the feelings from this mare. I end up on my back, with Ghaliya kissing me. When she comes up for air, my lips are instantly occupied with another set of lips. I reach a hoof and bring Dawn closer as she kisses me.

Finally, she pulls away, smiling impishly. “I think we both gave you a wonderful night, Ki.” She turns to Ghaliya and nuzzles the larger mare. Whispering something in her ear before she rolls off the bed. “I guess we should get packed up.”

Guerina snickers before she’s smacked by the unicorn and disappears out the door. I hop off the bed, my horn lighting to pick things up before I stop, looking at Dawn. “What?”

She tilts her head. “Love, you don’t need to be doing this. Why not head on deck and let us mares take care of this?”

I glance at Ghaliya, who nods at me, a big smile on her face. I frown slightly. “I’m happy to help.”

“Oh, it’s just fine, husband.” Ghaliya says as she climbs off the bed before coming close and nuzzling me. “Sometimes us mares simply want to discuss a stallion without said stallion present.” She says softly. She kisses my cheek. “Go on, head out on deck, we’ll be ready in no time and join you. I, for one, can’t wait to get back on dry land.”

I bow my head. “Of course.” I say before I exit the cabin. I stop as the door closes firmly behind me. I look at the closed door for a bit, trying to figure out what those two are talking about. I’m not going to use any magic to eavesdrop on them, Dawn would detect it in an instant. But my curiosity is burning as I walk down the corridor and up the stairs onto the deck. There, I’m greeted by the view of land. How Backburn and Greenbeard are able to so precisely navigate the ship to where they want to go is beyond me. I know the compass is important, and so is that crazy device that Greenbeard called a sextant. But how it all works is beyond me. But we are already in the bay, and the quay of Dammam is ahead of us.

Horses are once again in the rigging, pulling up sails and securing them with ties. Slowing the ship as she is carefully maneuvered towards an open berth. I watch in wonder as the ship turns slightly, gliding sideways through the water closer to the dock. Only minutes has the ship gently gliding to a stop, nearly touching the quay. Lines are tossed from the fore and aft of the ship to waiting horses in the berth and the ship is pulled into its final position as a gang plank is heaved into place. Backburn and Greenbeard are standing at the rail, and Backburn gestures for one of the crew to pull up the section of railing to complete the docking before he doffs his hat in a flourish as he bows to his captain. “My Captain. We are docked.”

“Excellent job, as always, my friend.” She turns back, looking at me. “The finances between us are settled.” She stops for a moment, looking at a couple of deck horses standing there with heavy saddlebags. “Now, it’s time to pay the piper.”

I frown. “What?”

She giggles. “I told you, I must settle some debts, otherwise we’ll again have privateers following us. And I don’t think we’ll be taking on any big commissions for the time being. I, for one, have had enough exciting adventures for a while.” She tosses off a salute. “I would stay to see you all off, but I have commitments that must be kept.”

I step forward and hug her. “Thank you, Captain. It was a pleasure.”

She smiles. “The pleasure was all mine, Ki. She glances behind me. “You take care of your mares.”

I glance behind me, Dawn and Ghaliya are on deck, laden with our things, another saddle bag placed in front of them. Then I look back at Greenbeard. “I will. Thank you, for everything.”

She again, salutes me before heading down the gangplank, her crew members following. I light my horn, picking up the bag, only to have Dawn’s magic block mine. “Oh, no, Ki. I’ve got it.”

I tilt my head slightly. “I’m happy to help here, Dawn.”

She takes a step back, blushing. “Ki. Please, I’m your mare, your wife. Let me take care of you.”

I again grab the bag with my magic, placing it on by back. “I insist, Dawn. You know I’m quite capable of helping here.”

She sighs before grumbling a bit as I head down the gangplank. Greenbeard is talking with the dockmaster and hoofing over some crowns before she trots off, her crewhorses in tow. I know how much gold we’ve got left. While it’s not nearly as much as when we set out, we have more than sufficient gold left. And also something else that Ghaliya has let me know about recently. Letters of writ from the Padishah himself. She had told me they were the ace up her sleeve. The amount of gold those little pieces of parchment could command would have been enough to buy a ship and crew if it was needed. The only trouble would have been getting an experienced captain. Ghaliya had said that she wanted to only use those if every other option had failed. She didn’t want to assert her uncle’s influence needlessly. And getting us on board that first ship had been far easier than we had thought. Though in the end, being double crossed by that horse still has my blood boiling whenever I think about it.

“Love, where are you going?”

I stop, looking back. “You told me about how Captain Siad was recommended to you. I’m going to find out how he was corrupted and had us get onto that ship with that snake.”

“No.” Ghaliya’s voice is final, and has me pulling up short.

“What? He betrayed you, love. He must pay the price.”

That gets a smile from Ghaliya. “Oh, he will pay the price, love. But it won’t be with your magic, nor will it be through you pummeling him with your hooves.” She moves closer and rubs up against me. “No, we will have a conversation with my uncle, and far worse will come down on him than you or I could ever mete out.”

“But…”

“No but’s husband. We are back at home, and I shall ensure his life will never be the same for his betrayal.” The smile on her face twists, getting a thrill of fear to run through me. I will never cross this mare. I don’t want that look to ever be directed at me.

I blink and turn to face forward. “So, are we just going to head home?”

“Three travelers alone without supplies would be lost to the sands in a matter of hours. We shall assemble with Farris and travel home.”

My eyes widen. I was hoping to delay seeing Farris for as long as possible. His reaction to Ghaliya’s and my marriage, along with the fact that it wasn’t within Saddle Arabia might not be the most welcome for me.

Ghaliya has noticed my discomfiture and she moves closer, nuzzling me quickly. “Not to worry, love. I shall inform him.” She turns and looks around momentarily before moving off at a slow canter, causing Dawn and I to pick up our hooves and follow quickly.

Shortly, Dawn is knocking on a door near the royal guard barracks near the center of the city. A horse answers, and after listening to Dawn, we are welcomed inside to wait. The guards even serve us tea as we wait. But before too long, a familiar voice is accompanied by the clatter of hooves as Farris rushes to hug Ghaliya.

“Oh, mistress, you have been gone so long!” He crows in joy. He turns to me. “God be praised, I’m even happy to see you, Prince.” And I have to endure a tight hug from the stallion.

“Be gentle with my husband.” Ghaliya says sharply.

The forelegs holding me like a vice squeeze harder and then freeze, pushing all the air out of my lungs. “Pardon me, mistress?”

“You heard me, Farris. Be gentle with my husband.”

That is how you are breaking the news to him? I mutter in my head. The smile on her face, I swear butter wouldn’t melt on her tongue.

The larger horse finally releases me, taking a step back before bowing. “If she has consented to marry you, my prince. Then I honor you.”

I blink. He just accepted what she said? Just like that? I bow in return. “Farris, I’m the same as I was when we left. Please, don’t bow.”

He shakes his head. “You are more than merely betrothed to Ghaliya. You are married. I may no longer be a royal guard. But I am in her service, which means I am also in yours.”

I glance at Ghaliya, who’s smile has widened, real mirth showing in her eyes. I look back at Farris. “That is one thing we have discussed, Farris. Your contract still belongs to her. I will not be taking any of her contracts. My main concern is completion of my magical training.”

His eyes widen as he glances at Ghaliya, who nods. “That is true. I am still your mistress and that shall not change.”

Farris grunts as he stands tall and faces my mare before bowing before her. “You are aware…”

She cuts him off with a stomp of a hoof. “Of the rules around our culture? Yes, I am. And I will continue to ignore those rules as I see fit. My caravan company is mine and mine alone. Ki has zero interest in running my business. So, I shall continue to run it. Is that understood?”

“Yes, mistress.” Farris grumbles as he stands tall. Before tapping a hoof to chest. “With your permission, mistress, I shall inform the other guards so we can assemble.” He glances at me quickly before focusing back on Ghaliya. “Am I to assume we shall start out first thing in the morning?”

“You shall. We will secure lodging and we will be ready first thing in the morning. The griff, Guerina, will be joining you in the barracks tonight, unless she chooses to secure her own lodging.” She looks at me. “My husband and my sister-wife will retire early. And will meet you in the morning at the north road with the remains of our caravan.”

He bows his head once again. “As you wish, my lady.”

***

Bela roars loudly, fire dripping from her mouth as she stomps into the chamber. Enyo looks up at her curiously. “What’s going on, sister?” He growls. Then ducks as she sends a gout of flame at him. “Hey, watch it!”

She screams again, walking up to her dais, picking up a scepter, then putting it back down. She whirls back towards her brother. “If I ever find the pony brave enough to breed with one of our kind, giving birth to those abominable kirin ponies, I’ll burn him to a cinder!” She blows out another gout of fire in frustration.

Enyo tilts his head slightly. “Oh ho, this is a story you must tell, sister.”

She fixes him with a glare that causes him to step back. But otherwise he holds his ground. After a long moment she sighs. “I was cruising along, returning home after causing some mischief in Equestria. You know those umbrood that our master released upon the ponies? Yeah, Celestia defeated them, but not without the help of her little ponies.” She rolls her eyes. “Well, I noticed a powerful magical presence. That alicorn I found in Saddle Arabia was there.”

Enyo leans forward. “Judging by your mood, it didn’t go well. You should have handled him easily. He hasn’t approached his full power, according to our master.”

She growls and turns away. “He had a kirin with him, one skilled with magic. She was able to entrap me. It was by pure dumb luck she decided to drown me to kill me, and I was able to escape.” She stomps closer to her brother. “I’m going to find that ship and…”

“You’ll do nothing.” Another voice intrudes, getting a glare from both dragons before they see who spoke. Upon seeing the pony, they step back and bow as he walks among them. “I have no issue with you killing that alicorn. His aspect will pass on just like all of ours do upon death.” He tilts his head. “But for now, I have plans working, if those plans do not come to fruition, then you are free to kill. But until then, let me do the thinking, and you do my bidding and do the destruction.”

“But…”

He glares at her. “Did you try to have a thought in that empty head of yours?”

She ducks her head to the side. “No, master.”

That gets a beaming smile. “Good. Now, what I wish for you to do is…”

***

I’m a married stallion, that’s all that matters to me right now. And unlike some, I’ve got two of the best wives to ever exist. Dawn and Ghaliya are walking together with Farris leading the guards as our group heads out of the port city of Dammam on our way back to the City of Gardens. Ghaliya had been able to grab a large enough wagon, along with a few water wagons and plenty of camels for pulling without tiring out the horses of our entourage. After so long away from home, the heat of the desert is welcome, especially without the humidity that has been making that heat so suffocating when we’ve been nearer to the coast. I almost feel as though I’m floating on air without using my wings. I glance at the pennants being flown, identifying our group, letting bandits know that we are not to be trifled with. Days of travel are ahead of us. With the sun low in the eastern sky, I’m looking forward to putting some miles down towards home.

Home. It’s amazing that the City of Gardens is definitely my home, even after so long away from it. I can’t wait to return. To enjoy the songs and laughter of the horses, the great food, and all there is to see and do in that beautiful walled city. My eyes scan across the horizon as we travel, not really needing to talk, just enjoy the beautiful day.

My eyes narrow, what is that? A speck on the horizon? I tilt my head as I watch, it’s definitely getting larger as we continue. Soon, I speak up. “Ghaliya. I think a member of the griffon messenger corps is on its way.”

She looks at me, then looks in the direction my eyes are pointing for a long moment. “I don’t see any…”

Guerina points with a claw. “Yeah, I see him.” Without another word, she spreads her wings and is off like a shot.

Ghaliya pouts a bit. “Your eyes are so much better.”

Dawn gives a throaty chuckle. “Of course, the alicorn has some pegasus abilities.” She looks at Guerina as she flies through the air. “Well, we will keep moving, see if whatever that griff is doing has anything to do with us, or if they’re heading to the city.” She glances over her shoulder. “We are barely out of sight of the city itself. It’s quite possible that they are heading to give a message to the council.” She looks at Ghaliya. “Since you did inform your uncle about that new council.”

Ghaliya nods. “Yes, of course.”

As we continue walking, Ghaliya had intercepted the other griff, and now they are both powering their way back towards us. The urgency with which she is flapping her wings has my own spreading slightly in alarm. They slam to the ground before us, a respectful distance away. The hen doffs her cap and bows before Ghaliya. “Sadayina Ghaliya. I am Gitte of the Royal Messenger Corps. I have an urgent message for you.”

The stress in her voice has affected Ghaliya, she bows her head and stays regal, but I can see the tightness in her eyes and the stress in her posture. The griff continues. “The entire corps has been mobilized to find you. Your last message said that you were taking a ship, but that was months ago. If you weren’t at the port city, we would have had to search for you on the water. Thank heaven that we didn’t have to do that.” She smiles briefly before clearing her throat and reaching in her satchel, drawing out a parchment with a royal seal. “Your uncle has taken ill. The best healers have done everything in their power, but fear his days may be numbered. You are commanded to return to the City of Gardens with all possible speed.”

Comments ( 10 )

I’m surprised he didn’t marry Guerina while he’s at it. Perhaps for a later date..?

I smell suspicion in the air

Yeeeesh, It lives! Dear Author, as always, I implore you to take your time with the chapters, but please, don't torture us with such sharp cliffhangers, six months without your story is painful.

IT'S ALIVE!!!

11876537
There should be a pony emoticon for an evil laugh. This is Desert Prince, every chapter ends with a cliffhanger. Mwa ha ha!

Though seriously, I've been enjoying writing this story, and definitely have plans to keep on keeping on. Hope you enjoy what I have planned.

11876634
media1.tenor.com/m/w7tOnQS-4vMAAAAC/bun-gasp-shocked-bun.gif

*Gasp* "Evil!"

Oh, and yes, I think all of us are more than excited to see what you have planned for this story. Continue the awesome work, dear Author.

yippy new update!

If I remembering the uncle's attitude right, I wouldn't put it past him to deny Ki's help. Should Ki force it I have no doubt would lead to much resentment. Looking forward to that potential shit storm.

11876967
a shit storm yes.. but at the same time his life would belong to Ki.

a awesome chapter Sparky.

Login or register to comment