• Published 13th May 2018
  • 7,523 Views, 499 Comments

The Desert Prince - Sparky Brony



New to a strange land, a strange culture. A single pony is lost, no memory of how he got there, what he was before. He has no understanding of the powers, of the prophecies around him and concerning him.

  • ...
21
 499
 7,523

Chapter 22.

The cry from the kirin as she bursts from her cabin has an instant effect on the crew. More calls are sounded, and Backburn, at his usual post at the wheel, reaches out and pulls on the rope for the bell, sounding it loudly.

“To arms! To arms!” He shouts.

The itch in my horn has me looking to each side of the ship. Unfortunately, I can’t see anything. The fog is so thick that the lanterns only make a small dome of light. To the east, the sun is starting to brighten the horizon, but it will be a while before there is enough light from the sun to see, and maybe burn off this fog.

“I knew she was a huntress,” Greenbeard says softly, "but I didn’t expect a predawn raid like this.” She shakes her head before panning around with her spyglass. “How did they find us? I wasn’t expecting them for days.”

I close my eyes, rotating my ears, my magic could sense some mage close to us. I can hear the clop of hooves as the crew moves around the deck along with continued cries as they rush to be ready for another battle. Given the fight last time, the cannons are being readied once again. “She can’t be that far away, can she?” I glance over at Greenbeard.

She shakes her head. “No, a few hundred yards at most, but this Celestia damned fog means I can’t see more than twenty…” Her voice fades out, her eyes going wide. “Oh, you clever girl..."

“What? Huh?”

She turns to me. “This isn’t natural fog. Feel it, Ki. It’s very low level, if I wasn’t looking for it, I would never know.” Her horn brightens and the wind picks up.

Reaching out with my magic, I feel the area around us. Where the hell is the Interceptor? I could feel the magic, and so could Greenbeard.

“Ki, what’s going on?”

I turn and look at Dawn as she trots up to me. “I can feel her. She’s close.” She's picked up a cutlass and a pair of pistols.

Dawn shivers. “Keep your wits about you. You’ve had plenty of time from the last encounter. How are you feeling?”

I tap a hoof on the deck. “Like I could take on anypony.”

She nods. “Yes, you can, but there's more to wizard duels than raw power.” She looks around. “I’ll help stand watch. I can be useful even without magic.” She turns and dashes forward, dodging among the horses of the crew and taking post at the forecastle.

Greenbeard comes up to me. “I’ve tried dispelling the fog. I don’t know why, but it’s resisting me. Wanna give it a shot?”

I nod as I draw my magic deeply. My horn brightens, and as I pull more magic. This most certainly is not a natural fog. Air and water in an intricate weave, this unicorn has some serious skill. I experimentally slash at the weave around me with spirit. The threads spark and hiss as they withdraw, then moments later, the rest of the mesh expands to fill in where I’ve cut. Wow, this is an inspired weave. I lean out, getting a better look. I need to remember this one.

“Ki? Can you dispel it?”

I look behind me. “Fire.”

“Huh?”

“I’ll pull on the water threads, you use fire to sever the weave.” I shrug out of my robes and spread my wings. I look up. “I need a better vantage.” Pulling hard on my magic as I rise into the air, my wings working hard. I grab as many threads of water that I can find and yank as hard as I can. “NOW!”

Greenbeard lowers her lit horn to the deck, to my eyes, I can see the hundreds of threads emanating from her. But to a non-magic user, flames swirl around the entire ship. I wait a few moments as she pours her magic into the Fire. She lifts her head as she pushes more power into the Fire. The flames rush around the ship, expanding in every direction. With my pulling on the Water, the fog dissipates in seconds. Panting softly I glance around. Frowning I fold my wings and dive, flaring them at the last moment to land heavily. “Where is she?”

Everyhorse on watch is scanning frantically around. “She can’t be too far away.” Greenbeard shouts as she grabs her spyglass and scans around. After a few moments, she looks back at me. “Know any weaves to dispel invisibility?”

I shake my head. “I don’t even know any invisibility spells.”

“Ship ahoy!” Dawn cries out, pointing.

“Damn, how?” Greenbeard dashes to the wheel and cranks it hard to port. “Air, Ki!”

I nod as I pull my magic, filling the sails as the first shot from the other ship splashes close, getting the horses and Dawn drenched. “That was too close.” Greenbeard watches the starboard cannon as the ship turns. “Fire!”

Once again, we respond, our shot overshooting and splashing down past the Interceptor. I move up next to Greenbeard as I focus on our sails. “How?”

Greenbeard shakes her head as she straightens out the rudder. “The magic we used to dispel the fog was like a damned beacon. We let them know exactly where we were.” She growls, looking at the approaching ship. “Can you do what you did before, use the water against them?”

“I need to stop their mage first, but yeah.” I walk to the railing, bringing up the spyglass. First thing first is deal with that troublesome unicorn. The Interceptor is maneuvering as well, trying to cut us off. I glance at our speed, I can’t put much more Air into the sails without damaging things. I look back at Greenbeard. “They are going to cut us off.”

“I know. Deal with the unicorn, and I can adjust course again.”

I scan back and forth along the length of the sleek ship. No telltale brightness of the horn. I can feel them using magic, but where? Experimentally, I form a blast of air aimed at their sails. Briefly mentally thanking Dawn for showing me how to split my flows and do more than one thing at a time, I shift the keeping of our sails full to the back of my mind as I lash out with that air, then grunt as a lash of spirit cuts the flow. The backlash stings, but I hadn’t put any serious power into it, so I lash out again with a lot more power, only to have a sharp slice of Spirit cause the spell to rebound into my horn.

I lose my entire weave for a moment, causing me a moment of panic as I reestablish the weave to keep the sails full. The nature of this weave means I can’t tie it off. I look over at Greenbeard, who is next to one of the cannons, before the balls are shoved in, they glow with her aura. I look at the closing Interceptor as Greenbeard fires again. A shield pops into existence and the ball passes through it as though it wasn’t there, slamming into the sterncastle and exploding. I hope Dawn comes back for me, I'm defenseless when i'm preoccupied with sniffing out weaves.

“Backburn, hard to starboard!” Greenbeard shouts, getting an instant response from the drake. My attacks on the other ship falter for a moment as I adjust for the changing course. What is with this unicorn? I direct threads of Water as the ship is much closer now. And to my shock, more threads of Water mingle with mine, ruining the weave. I groan as I try to change tactics. This pony knows how to fight.

Another bang and a puff of smoke from the Interceptor has me flinching. I don’t have time to put a shield up as our main mast splinters, the top falling, only to be deflected by a desperate weave from Greenbeard.

With a growl I shrug off my robes and again take to the sky. It is time to end this. At least one horse lies lifeless on our ship, and no telling how many of the crew of the Interceptor are dead or injured. I streak towards the other ship, not heeding the screams from the Waveslasher as I gain altitude. I am going to end this, right now!

Wielding fire and water, I slash her sails as I get close enough. The strains of Spirit from the unicorn aren’t enough at this close a range to stop my magic. I spy a golden colored pony and slam a shield between them and their magic as I slam onto the deck, timbers groaning under the impact as the entire ship shakes. Drawing my wings in, I yell out “Enough!” before lashing my wings out wide.

Magical wind washes across the deck, throwing horses and ponies overboard before I start to walk across the deck. A scream behind me gets me to whirl around, a shield already forming. A pony is levelling a musket at me, his eyes wide in fear. I narrow my eye as he fires, stomping my forehoof once. The ball slams into my shield and is flattened, “No more.” I yank the weapon from his grasp with my magic, ripping it apart before his eyes before throwing the remains overboard. I turn back to the stern, A griffon is holding onto the ship’s wheel, and the unicorn is cowering behind her. I snarl as I reach out with my magic, yanking the wheel and the griff off the deck and tossing her back. Binding the unicorn with air, I drag them forward to me, before stopping at what I see.

She’s crying, encased in the bubble of magic, she’s slamming her hooves into the field holding her. She can’t be more than ten or twelve years old, she’s…tiny. Golden fur with a bright pink mane, the horn sticking out from her mane is actually smoking, and she’s got blood dripping from her nose. She’s overextended herself. I check the shield on her and shrink the bindings to keep her still. She stands there, tears streaming from her eyes.

“Who are you?” I murmur softly.

With a war whoop, I’m landed on, claws first, by the griffon I had tossed. Should have bound her wings. Gray body with black wings, all I can see is claws and beak as she slashes into me. Before I gather my magic, another griffon slams into her, both of them tumbling on the deck, both trading blows. In a few moments, Guerina has the other griffon in a choke hold.

I glance around, the crew of the ship is tensely holding their weapons, but are backing off slowly. I lower my head, pawing at the deck. “This fight is over!” I shout. I shake my head, noting the blood flying. The griffon had gotten some pretty good licks in. I can see blood is slowly dripping onto the deck. I’ll deal with it in a bit. First…

“No!” I whirl around at the tiny voice with a lot of volume. “No!” She shouts again. “I won’t let you best me this easily.” She’s struggling against the bindings, thrashing in rage and defiance. “I am good enough! I am strong enough! I don’t care if you are an alicorn!” I can feel her fighting against the shield, fighting against me, it’s like I’m holding a wild weasel. Any inattention will have her free. I grit my teeth as I reinforce the shield. This close, I can get a feel for her strength. She may be strong, but not as strong as Dawn was. I could hold her as long as I need to, but I don’t dare try to tie off the shield. I walk towards the unicorn.

“Little one. That’s enough.” She stops struggling against the bounds holding her and collapses within them, pounding at the shield with a forhoof she cries out, “No! I can’t! I’ve got to prove myself. I’m a fighter.” Tears running down her cheeks, she shakes her head sending drops flying, “I can’t fail.”

“Look, you’re what? Ten years old?” Guerina remarks.

The ship rocks gently, getting me to look over. The Waveslasher has moved up against the smaller ship. Greenbeard leaps over both railings easily and stalks towards the griffons. “Guerina, let her up.”

Guerina stands up, keeping a claw on the neck of the other griff. “She was willing to open fire first, Captain.”

“That’s what you do with pirates!” The griffon shouts. “Especially ones holding hostages.”

That gets me to stop, blinking a few times. Though Greenbeard’s reaction chills me to my core.

“What did you call me?” She says quietly.

“A pirate. You stole from Siad, or do you not remember?”

Greenbeard growls as she flashes bright green flames, her body inverting colors and her mane and tail becoming flame. “That’s what I thought I heard.” She leaps forward, her horn lighting. She shoves Guerina off the griffon and yanks her to her paws. She gets up close, the simple red jacket the griffon is wearing is starting to smolder. “I’m no pirate.”

“You know anything coerced under threat of death doesn’t help your case.” The griffon stands defiantly, despite the slowly blackening of her jacket, and even some of her feathers are starting to wilt under the heat. “Do you deny attacking Siad? Do you deny threatening his ship, to burn her to the waterline, if I remember correctly, if Siad didn’t turn over the gold he got from his passengers, as well as the passengers themselves?”

“Of course I deny it!” Greenbeard takes a step back, with a whoosh the flames extinguish and she reverts to her normal color. She takes a deep breath, then a second one. “Siad was swindling those passengers, instead of passage to their intended destination, he was taking them to Klugetown to be sold as slaves.”

“And where is your proof of that?” The griffin says firmly, “And even if that’s the case, if he swindles some poor rubes, why should you care? The sea doesn’t care if you swindle the landbound, isn’t that the pirate way? Just like slavery?”

“Why should I care?” For a moment, Greenbeard’s mane smolders as she works to control her rage. She steps forward and smacks her muzzle into the griffon’s beak before glaring at her. “I don’t deal in slaves, EVER! And the code of the sea also calls for helping those in need. Guerina here came and begged for my help to free her friends.”

That gets an uproarious laugh from the griffon. “A griff begging for help, now I know you are lying. If her friends were in danger, she’d just cut her losses and leave. It’s not worth the risk if there isn’t profit.”

“No, it’s true,” Guerina insists. Her face red as she stalks towards the other griffon. “My friends were in danger. So yes, I begged her for help. It was the right thing, the only thing, I could do.”

“Friends? Right thing?” The other griffon’s head snaps to look at Guerina. “Are you sure you are a griffon? Or are you simply under the pay of the pirate here, covering for her?”

“I am not a pirate!” Greenbeard growls.

Guerina lets out an eagle cry, “I’ll show you who’s a griff.” she spreads her wings and tenses to leap at the other griffon, her hind claws digging into the deck for traction as her tail lashes side to side.

“That’s enough!” The shockwaves of my voice vibrating off the deck and causing the sails to rustle. My wings are spread wide as I walk slowly to the griffon. “You know nothing of what happened. We tried to hire Greenbeard in port, but she refused, she was more concerned with trying to make quick money to pay off her debts and protect her crew.” Looking at the Kirin I nod, “She changed her mind with Guerina’s plea, Guerina found out we were being betrayed and flew to her for help. We are NOT hostages, we are not…” I trail off as Ghaliya boards the Interceptor. She’s limping slightly, her shoulder bandaged and the bandaging shows her blood. I whirl around to the griff, yanking her from the deck and pulling her towards me. “You injured my betrothed. You could have killed her.”

Despite being bound by my magic and completely helpless, the griff is still defiant. “You killed three of my crew. Good workers that will have to be replaced. So don’t get all high and mighty with me, prince. And that’s not counting the half dozen injured. Luster hadn’t had a chance to heal them before you came over and ended the fight.” She glances over at the unicorn before focusing on me. “Spare me your outrage. We were in battle.”

“Which you started!” I shout, my voice rebounding as I shake the griff violently.

She’s too bound up to move more than her eyes, which she rolls. “And? As I said, that’s how you deal with pirates. And everything I had seen, all the information I had determined my course of action and mission, save hostages, kill the crew, and scuttling their ship. Our mandate is clear.”

Ghaliya limps up next to me. “And where is your mandate from?”

The griff’s eyes turn to her. “The Griffon Empire and Vitalienbrude Freibeuter, naturally. We accept commissions as debt collectors, which is what started this little escapade. Then we came across Siad and the Seaspray. They were still repairing the damage you inflicted on them. After interviewing Siad, I had my first mate scour the sea in the direction you left, and knowing your destination is the southern Celestial sea, by the dragon lands. We tracked you down. Luster Dust here kept us moving at a pretty good clip until we got close.”

I glance around. “Your first mate? The filly here?”

The griff narrows her eyes. “No, Luster Dust is my mage. I brought her on because she showed that she’s good with weaving the winds, probably something to do with her sire being a pegasus pony. That and she’s got a clever mind, an knows more the a few tricks. That fog was brilliant, forcing you to show your position so we could close on you.” She huffs. “My first mate, one of the ponies your shot killed, a pegasus stallion, with keen eyes, and a good nose for the winds. He is going to be hard to replace.” She glares over at Greenbeard. “His loss is going to add to your cost. Even if you aren’t a pirate, you still owe…”

“What I owe? How about the damage you did to my ship?” She glances at the damage to the stern castle of the Interceptor. “With the loss of my own crew member, we can call it even when it comes to the fighting. The price of war, right?”

“Hardly. You know the laws on debt collection. The full amount is due, along with my price. Which went up the moment you didn’t lower your sails and heave to for me to board.”

“Sorry if I’m not going to make myself defenseless with you starting everything with cannon fire.” Greenbeard shouts, her mane again starting to smolder.

“Mares!” I growl, stepping in front of Greenbeard and picking the griffon up to my eye level. “I have no tolerance for this arguing. You fired first, Greenbeard defended herself and her ship. We bested you in combat. You did not catch us. We could have easily burned your sails and escaped. You would be adrift for a long time without our assistance right now.”

“Besides,” Greenbeard says, “If we were pirate, what would our next action be? To take those we want as slaves for sale, kill the rest, and skuttle this ship, right? You don’t see us doing that, do you?”

She opens her beak to speak, and I stuff a gag of air in it. “I’m not done yet, not by far,” I growl. “I may not be well versed in the rules of the sea. But I do know we have a duty to render aid, even to a defeated foe. We have done so. We were the so-called hostages, and we have told you about what happened with Siad. You now know now that he lied to you. If you don’t believe us that Greenbeard has been an excellent host for us, and was taking us to our destination, there’s nothing left that I can do for you.”

I release her completely, letting her tumble to the deck. She works her jaw for a moment. “You’ve got some strength there, Prince.” She glances between us. Looking at the Waveslashers crew members working on the injured crew of the Interceptor, most are bandaged up, and are being helped to their hooves. A glance around shows the Waveslashers launch was out picking up crew members that were tossed overboard. “Tell you what…” She takes a deep breath. “We can settle for the amount that is past due, along with my price. And no, I’m not going to cut a deal on that, given the damage to my ship and my lost crew members. That’s the best I will offer. Otherwise, our fight will have to resume.”

Greenbeard looks at me. “It depends what your price is.”

Griselde steps close to Greenbeard, whispering softly causing my ear to flick once. Kirin steps back and starts to sputter in protest, but before she says a word, I step in. “Deal.”

“Ki!” Greenbeard shouts, but she subsides at a glare from me. She turns away. “Replacing that main mast isn’t going to be cheap.” She grumbles.

I concentrate as my horn lights. With a pop, bags of gold appear at my hooves. I pull two bags and heave them at the griffon before opening a third. My mouth works as I count out the coins. Finally I close the much lighter bag and with another pop they are back secured in my cabin. She looks at the pile of gold, glancing at Greenbeard then at me. I glance at the filly. “I would like to talk to your mage for a bit, please.”

She tilts her head. “That’ll be ten crowns. Or bits, whichever you prefer.”

My face hardens. “Quite often, if you don’t have a choice, the demand is phrased as a question.” I drag the filly closer. “It wasn’t.”

The griffon rolls her eyes as she gathers up the gold and retreats. I look at Luster Dust. “I’m going to release you. Are you going to attack me?”

She stands there, mute, her eyes still wet. After a few moments, I dispel the shield around her, and then slash the shield keeping her from her magic. Instantly her horn lights. I tense, ready to defend myself. She reaches up a hoof and touches the blackened tip of her horn, before sighing heavily and letting go of her magic before hanging her head. “No.”

I clear my throat. “That fog was inspired. I can feel your strength, but it must have been taxing.”

She smirks at me. “It’s my special talent!” She turns showing off her hip as she points at her cutie mark, a cloud with lightning flashing and three stars. “My dad said I should be content to be a weatherpony. But this is more... Interesting”

She’s absolutely adorable with her chest puffed out and fluffed with a proud smirk on her face. I can't believe she was trying her best to kill us just now. I shake my head, Dawn has explained to me about magical special talents, having lightning or stars in a cutie mark are usually indicative of strong magic. I cock my head to the side. “So, why aren’t you at some school? You know, like Celestia’s school that unicorns go to?”

The preening and smirk disappear instantly, replaced with a dark look. “I wasn’t good enough, strong enough for Celestia’s school. My dad was so proud of me when I got my cutie mark at only six years old. Said to everypony that ‘I was bound for Celestia’s school’, and ‘could possibly be her new protégé.’” She says as she makes air quotes with her hooves. “She chooses one every so often, and shepherds them at the school, giving individual attention and teaching.” She stops, looking down as tears starting to flow again. “Imagine his embarrassment when the school said I didn’t have what it takes. That I wasn’t good enough for them. The entry staff suggesting I was simply too weak.” She whimpers, “Mom said I should just be content and help my dad. She said I should learn mares' work and get myself a stallion when I came old enough."

"I'm sorry," I say.

Shaking her head she stomps her hoof. “So, I ran away! Made it to Baltimare where I boarded a ship. If could weave the winds, I could make ships move faster. For that, captains would love me, I could get them where they needed to go much faster.” She sniffles. “I’ve been on my own for over a year! I showed them, I didn’t need…”

I look at Greenbeard then at Ghaliya. “You know, we could…”

“NO!” She shouts. “I don’t need some prince or princess telling me what I can’t do!” She stomps a hoof on the deck. “I’m learning here, learning new spells like healing. I’m not great at it, but I can help the crew. I can, I will prove they were wrong. That I’m not some weak thing that’s just good for…” She shakes her head fiercely, “I will make the Interceptor the fastest ship on the seas, and prove everypony wrong about me.”

I sigh then smirk, figuring a change of tactics is needed, and ruffle her mane once, “I have no doubt of that,” I turn away and walk towards the Waveslasher. “Well, Let’s get started, we have two ships to get seaworthy again.” I stop and look at Greenbeard. “Let’s recover the mast, maybe we can fix it.”

The kirin looks down then back at me for a moment. “Well, that’ll make life easier.”

I nod as I take wing and leap to the Waveslasher. “Well, let’s get started!”

***

As the sun is setting, the Interceptor is miles behind us as I walk below decks, my stomach feels as though it’s going to eat through my backbone. My horn hurts, between the fighting, and the intricate work in holding the heavy, dense wood of the main mast while Greenbeard and I both worked hard to weave together the fibers of the wood and make sure the repair would last.

I’m exhausted. If I had to fight again, I’d probably have to cry. Though it’s a bit heartening to see Greenbeard is as exhausted as me. Many times as we worked, she’d growl that it was impossible. It wasn’t, but it was pretty close. The ship is back underway. We are again tacking against the northwest wind, meaning Backburn and some of the crew are having to stay busy all through the night. Greenbeard and I, however, are going to fill our bellies and get some much needed sleep. I don’t think I could lift a fork with my magic at the moment. The cook has promised a good spread, I find my steps lightening as we get to the ships mess.

Ghaliya, Guerina, and Dawn had all pestered me while I was working to let the cook help me bandage my wounds from when Griselde had attacked me. Rather than deal with the continuous pleas from them, I had moved away, only holding the mast for a bit as Greenbeard continued the work while the old unicorn stallion had bandaged me up. He kept marveling at how quickly I was healing, I would only need these bandages for a few days. Though the itching under the linen of the bandages was quite distracting, seeing several of the crew either limping around, or well swaddled with bandages, I think I got the better of the deal. I finally settle into my seat and look at the food before me. The old cook was inspired, able to make excellent meals out of the limited stores aboard the ship. The large bowl of stew smells heavenly.

Conversation is usually the norm during our meals, though this night, the Captain and my friends are merely content to fill our bellies. Experience tells me talking would be difficult, anyway, with everyponys' ears ringing hard from the furor of gunfire. My bowl is filled three times before I finally sit back with a heavy sigh. I look over at Greenbeard, who is working on her second bowl. “That was good.”

Greenbeard nods as she finally pushes away her empty bowl. She looks at me for a long time, her face coloring. “I’m sorry for blaming you.” She says softly.

I look at her questioningly. She looks down. “I was concerned for my crew, and it was my temper that caused all of this. I didn’t expect Siad to lie to her, telling her I was a pirate. Perhaps I shouldn’t have threatened him.”

I shake my head. “He’s a snake, if it weren’t that, he’d have found another reason to lie. He’s got it out for you now.”

"Cold comfort; my hot temper has now cost my crew their lives."

I reach out a hoof and gently place it on her withers. “No, you are not to blame, Greenbeard. Griselde was acting on bad information. Which she would have gotten no matter what you did. If you must assign blame…”

She slams a hoof on the table. “I’m the captain! I am responsible for the lives and health of my crew, nopony else.” She looks up at me again. “I will return your commission, to pay you back for…”

She’s stopped by my hoof gently booping her muzzle. “No.” I say firmly. “Yes, this is an expensive voyage. But Ghaliya and I have talked, you owe us nothing. You saved our lives and our freedom by rescuing us from Siad. Helping you is the least we could do.”

“I don’t take charity,” She growls. “In fact, with your services as a mage, I should be paying you for your assistance.”

“You teaching me is payment enough, Air isn’t my weakest element, and you’ve helped me with my magic far more than I believed possible.”

That gets a chuckle. “If you tried, you could likely make a hurricane, Prince. You’ve got the power.”

I sigh. “I guess, but making this ship move is good enough, I thank you.”

Less than an hour later, I’m folding my wing over Dawn as I drift off to sleep. Sometimes it’s great to have another body close to you when you sleep.

***

The massive doors to the great hall open slowly, revealing the huge chamber. The long central aisle has had fresh carpet laid down, and the tall marble columns were now cleaned. Every nook and cranny in the room was now spotless. The old planters have had the corpses of previous plant life removed and replaced with new, lending a lush green scent to the air. Everything was illuminated by lantern and torchlight. The great windows still show the sand dunes behind them, but they had been dusted and illuminated to show stories of ancient times.

Head low, the dragon walks in, glancing up at the large throne on the dais, gulping, he took a deep breath, "M…master?"

"Tellus," the figure says in almost a monotone voice, sending a thrill down the dragon’s spine, his ridges standing up in fear. He gulps again before bowing. "I have not seen nor heard from him since the great battle at the city," He glances at his sister, who is standing behind and off to the side, her claws clenched together. "Maybe he has been scared off." Offering a small smile at the possibility.

"Scared?" The figure slowly turns the throne to face the dragon, who cowers more, baring his teeth in an attempt to keep a smile showing.

"Master, his presence was not accounted for," the dragon says, "nor was the power of his companions, though one, I know, was badly hurt."

"I care little of what happens to ponies or horses." Turning again to look at the great window, the stained glass image of two baby alicorns being presented to a white unicorn.

"Well, knowing him, he will not let that stand. This could prove interesting."

"Interesting, master?" The dragon looks up questioningly.

"Yes, very interesting, where would you take your friend Tellus, where?"