• Published 5th Sep 2017
  • 4,327 Views, 54 Comments

Radiance - Carapace



A nighttime gathering brings the promise of smiles and idle chatter, an inescapable web for Princess Celestia. This night, however, brings forth an opportunity for companionship she lacked since the start of her lonely reign.

  • ...
19
 54
 4,327

3. Night's Favor

It was hardly the first time Rarity had stepped hoof in Canterlot Castle, but it never failed to steal her breath away.

Whether it was the bleached marble walls or the splendorous stained glass windows casting a rainbow of colors, or the countless works of master artists and sculptors gracing its hallways, there was always something that grabbed her attention and demanded she stop to appraise it an extra moment. And each time, she could feel her mind racing, her muse crafting vivid images of ensembles inspired by those little flights of fancy and lost attention, only to vanish in the midst of some terrible crisis.

Today, she did find herself lost in the splendid artwork once more. But this time, with focus. With purpose.

All for her.

One could hardly think Princess Celestia—er, Celestia, rather. They were seeing one another, after all—to be self-centered or vain. She certainly cut a figure and owned any room she entered, as the sun did the sky each morning she raised it. She could hardly help it herself. Beauty, grace, and utmost serenity had all been the hallmarks of her reign since before memory. Long since her time ruling alone, awaiting Princess Luna’s return, for certain.

Which was why Rarity sat on the tile floor and gazed up at the literal Celestia-sized painting hanging on the wall in the foyer. The colors were soft and blended together, like they’d been taken from a rainbow itself and brushed onto the canvas. The slight wrinkling at the edges and golden frame was a testament to its age, and only did more to emphasize the beauty held in the piece.

Celestia and Princess Luna, standing shoulder to shoulder whilst looking in opposing directions. Tiny smiles graced their lips, their horns were wreathed in gold and cerulean as day and night themselves seemed to pour forth from the tips of their horns—Celestia’s bringing forth warmth, light, and summer days, while Luna heralded a cool night, stars, and winter frost.

Rarity longed to have her sketchbook. If there were ever a more perfect source, this! The harmony, the perfect balance of day and night, and the seasons changing, she could almost see it in one of her ensembles!

She would just have to make due and commit it to memory. There were no major incidents—Celestia forbid!—so there was no reason to let the moment pass her by and let her muse wander elsewhere. And why should it?

The perfect ensemble was in mind. Perhaps something with sunny orange, like those koi scales, and yellow bleeding into pale, icy blue and purple. Or perhaps purple should serve as a barrier, a meeting of night and day, as the sky turned when twilight came. Or perhaps a trio of matching dresses. One for each princess. So not to run the risk of looking too gaudy—yes, that would be far better!

At the thought, Rarity had to hide a titter behind a hoof. Luna would certainly approve. If only for the reference to a certain Princess of Friendship—more importantly, her fiancée, the love of her life since her return. Perhaps she could even get Twilight to model it for them. Surely both Celestia and Luna would delight in seeing the young mare, one’s student and the other’s lover, wearing a perfect blend of their colors, as if to accentuate her namesake.

Or perhaps she would dare be selfish and model one for Celestia, herself. Better still, a fourth piece. The first, fashioned for Twilight as tribute to both, while the second was hers alone. Something white, with a blend of red, yellow, and orange around the hemline and over her chest—as if the sun’s fire and trailed after her and played upon her heart—and a little gold trim around purple sleeves …

So lost was she in the image, the happy visage of herself garbed in such fine dress and Celestia’s ancient purple eyes, wide and full of want, that mighty horn shimmering gold to close the door and grant them a bit of privacy, that she didn’t notice the presence lingering nearby until a soft, amused voice reached her ears:

“Ah, and here we find she who stole my beloved sister’s eye last night, lost in her own thoughts.”

With a squeak, Rarity scrambled to her hooves and turned around to face Princess Luna, her ears burning at the sight of that coy smirk.

“Although, I suppose I can hardly fault her.” Princess Luna chuckled. “Our collection is most impressive, if I might boast a little. Good morning to you as well, Rarity,” she greeted warmly. Her eyes shone like the dazzling stars in her mane. “I trust you slept well in my sister’s company.”

Her snowy white cheeks tinged a deep red and ears splayed back. “H-How did you find out of that, might I ask?” Rarity stammered.

“Tia told me, of course. Oh, you should have seen her—though, I suppose you did, but not in such state as this. One I’ve not seen in an age.”

“Oh?” Rarity’s ears twitched. “What state might that be?”

The Princess of Night met her with a knowing smirk. “Hardly one to be described in the foyer, of all places, I should think. Why, who knows who might hear? And I know well how our ponies do enjoy gossip.” Her feathers fluffing merrily, she gestured toward the west wing corridor with a little nod. “Would you care to accompany me on a walk? I think you’ll find some of the art in my wing rather intriguing as well. You can be my first tour of the modern age.”

Again, her ears twitched. Rarity rose, her curiosity roused. “I’d be happy to see your collection.”


The stark contrast in décor favored by Celestia and Princess Luna was as different as—well—day and night. It was quite cliché to note it as such, but even Rarity couldn’t help allow herself a moment of lapse into such things.

Celestia’s east wing favored wide windows which let her sun’s light pour in, soft paintings featuring sunny scenery and ponies at play, or scenes of heroes and heroines past standing between nightmarish creatures or terrible foes from days long past, with hanging fire basins (unlit at this hour) and brightly colored flowers near each corridor. And, of course, stained glass. All of it watched by guards in gleaming gold armor bearing a blue, five-pointed star.

The west wing, however, was like stepping through sunset itself. From day, to night, Luna favored her high arching ceilings, narrower windows, plants of softer shades and scents, and statues and gargoyles of creatures of the night, terrifying and not, and brave ponies immortalized in stone to join their living comrades in obsidian armor as they guarded over the castle.

The one thing both had in common was a love of paintings and busts. Those depictions of heroes and heroines, scenes of meadows shrouded in cool shadows and illuminated only by moonlight, and of her standing, wings spread, with bats or owls or ponies playing in her night, all of it was displayed throughout her corridor with pride.

“My sister had this wing done in this style,” Luna answered the unasked question. “She told me that, originally, she was unsure of how to design this wing, as the pain of losing me was too raw at the time. She left it to her architects and was left wanting.”

Rarity tilted her head. “Wanting how, if you don’t mind my asking.”

“Wanting in terms of it being more a castle for her alone, rather than one she wished to one day share with me.” Glancing sideways through twinkling teal eyes, she chuckled. “And I would not mention it if I minded you asking.”

A sheepish grin spread across her face. “Touché, Princess,” she replied, nodding as she returned her gaze the paintings, lingering on one of the Princess of Night looming over what looked to be a manticore, which recoiled in fear from her wrath. Behind her midnight wings, Rarity noticed a grown mare and a little filly held tight in her hooves. Curious, Rarity paused in her walk. “Was that …”

Humming, Princess Luna followed her gaze. As she found the painting, her ears perked. “Ah! No, that was a dream, dear mare. The artist gifted it to me—oh—a year ago. After I resumed my duties as Protector of the Dream Realm, I came upon hers. A nightmare, caused by her fear of losing her dear filly so soon after losing her husband to illness. She visited Twilight and I in court one night, after a year of labor on the piece, and gifted it to me as thanks.” A hint of rosy red colored her cheeks, her feathers fluffed. “I confess, I thought Twilight would have told you of the night we received this in court. She delights in reminding me each time we pass it.”

Does she now? Rarity tittered. “Oh, well, I wouldn’t worry about that tale getting spread around at all, dear.” Her tail swishing, she offered a comforting pat on the princess’s shin. “Twilight’s never really been one to spread gossip, least of all any involving a dear friend. Or, in your case, quite a bit more, I should say.” At the deepening blush in Luna’s cheeks, she had to bite the inside of her own. She turned away, gazing at the picture again. “I must say, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such artwork, even in the museums.”

“That, I admit, is a bit of selfishness on our part.” Princess Luna let out a breath, as if happy to change the subject. “My sister and I have always loved art. Admittedly, I’ve always been more inclined toward music and painting, while Tia favors sculptures and stained glass.” She turned to smile at Rarity, adding, “Which would explain the décor inside and out, I wager.”

“It certainly does! Between that, the artwork, and the difference in—” she turned to wave her hoof down the hallway “—the ambiance, it does hold a certain … magic to it, if you’ll pardon the expression.”

“I will not, for it warrants none.” Her eyes twinkled like stars. “I thought the same when Tia finally let me come down this wing. It was like she’d stomped a hoof and turned half the castle into my side of our old one again.”

Rarity blinked. That sounded impossible for most ponies. But, as her friendship with Twilight had taught her, the Royal Family of Equestria were anything but like most ponies when it came to magical talent.

Could Celestia have done just that?

She shook herself. “Yes, well. I appreciate that.” Rarity smiled and turned to face Princess Luna fully. “I was just a bit lost as you came up to me, and then lost again while we walked. It’s a sort of habit of mine, a bit nasty, really.”

Princess Luna arched a brow. “Oh? And why do you say so? Art is meant to be appreciated and inspire imagination after all.” A teasing edge shone in her smile. “I should think the artist of this piece in particular would thank you for the compliment should she learn it caught your eye so.” She took a step closer, tilting her head to one side. “Although, I am curious as to just what this habit of yours might be. Surely, you don’t think letting your mind’s eye take you into a depicted scene to be ‘nasty,’ dear mare!”

A sheepish grin made its way across her face. Rarity could feel the heat filling her cheeks as a rosy blush colored her alabaster coat bright pink. “W-Well, ever since I was a little filly, I’ve always had these little moments where something would catch my eye, and I’d just get inspired. The urge to create and somehow take what I’d seen and make it into some beautiful dress would hit me like a runaway apple cart, and I had to stop and visualize it.”

“Ah! Your muse. ’Tis a wonderful thing, that. I’ve enjoyed such moments myself, as have all artists I’ve known.”

“Yes, well, my father used to tease me—lovingly so, I should add.” Laughing fondly, she shook her head. Her regal purple curls bounced with each turn. “He used to call them my muse moments. He’d let out a big belly laugh, tell everypony to back away! Rarity’s having a muse moment!” She stood suddenly and held his hooves out, as if to ward off any oncoming ponies. After a second or two, she let herself fall to stand on four hooves. “And then he’d ask me what I was thinking about.”

For a moment, Princess Luna regarded her in silence. Her playful smile vanished in favor of a pensive look. Then, slowly, a warm smile began to spread across her face. “A wonderful thing, indeed. And with such support, I can only imagine why you’d find it embarrassing.” She cast a quick wink. “Then again, I can remember when my parents would tease me here and there for how excited I was to walk in dreams, so perhaps I can see why.”

The Princess of the Night took another step closer, gazing down upon Rarity with intrigue. “So, then, I must ask,” she said. “What did you see in your muse moment when I happened upon you?”

Blinking, Rarity thought back. “Um, well,” she stammered. “You see, I was thinking of that painting. The relationship you share with Celestia, and that of day and night.” Hesitating a moment, she added, “And how, in a funny sort of way, it’s furthered with Twilight being between you similar to twilight itself.”

That certainly made Princess Luna’s ears perk. “I’m intrigued. Go on.”

“Well, when I spoke with Celestia last night, she asked me once about what sort of color dress I might design for her. And while we were out by the koi pond.” Rarity paused to fidget a little in place. Her ears splayed to lay flat against her scalp. “I had another of my muse moments, which sort of led into today’s. And, well …”

Soft midnight feathers touched her shoulder, a comforting gesture she’d learned from Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. “And where did you muse moments take you?” Princess Luna prompted.

Whether it was the touch of feathers or soothing words, Rarity wasn’t certain. Either way, she let her nerves go and the words spilled forth from her lips. She detailed each color, the style, even a notion or two of materials.

By the end of her little spiel, she found herself met not with a teasing look or laughter, but genuine interest still.

Princess Luna folded her wing neatly against her side and smiled. “I, for one, think I should be happy to wear a dress crafted by your hoof. And my sister, more so.” A hint of that playful gleam returned to her eyes. “Think of it as your way of returning the favor for that lovely date she took you on. It’s been some time since I’ve seen her so pleased with a lover, and more still since one has made her heart flutter as you have.”

“R-Really?” Rarity cursed herself for sounding so eager, so desperate! What was she? Some lovestruck fool?

The answer, of course, was yes.

“Truly,” Princess Luna said with a nod. “And it would brighten her day more than a thousand suns to receive such a gift from you. I think it my duty as her sweet, darling, pest of a little sister to gossip and inform you that she is ‘head over hooves,’ as the foals these days say.” Fluffing her feathers, she added, “As am I with Twilight.” She hummed a low note and gestured to continue their walk. “That said, I would like to see this vision realized for the next Winter Solstice Gala,” she said. “You will be paid in full, of course. For four dresses.”

Rarity’s ears twitched. Four? “Princess, but I can’t—”

“You will be paid in full for four dresses,” Princess Luna repeated, finality in her tone and that twinkle in her eyes. “Or I shall compare your rates with Twilight and double them. I will accept no argument or debate on price when an artist’s work is the matter. Least of all, one who makes my sister smile as she did this morn.” Thinking on it a moment longer, she added, “Consider the extra fee a price for your discretion. This will be our surprise for both of our mares, a way to see teacher and student preening as they ought, I should think.”

The blush returned in full, spreading to the very tips of her ears. Rarity could do little more than smile and duck her head. “I’ll need to get her size somehow,” she muttered.

“My sister has not grown an inch in thirteen centuries, depending on the season and how many sweets she’s snuck from the kitchens. I know it well enough.” Her piece said, she turned to face forward and guided Rarity further down the corridor, a small, self-satisfied smile worn plain upon her face. “And I do mean every word, dear mare,” she added softly. “My sister deserves happiness, and you seem to have brightened her day after one night alone. I would hope you think me less as some protective family member, more as an ally in this venture. And in the business of making my sister happy, I should think this a worthy investment.” Again, her feathers touched Rarity’s shoulder. “And you, a worthy mare to put faith in.”

Rarity would later confess she doubted her cheeks resumed their normal color until long after she parted ways with the Princess of the Night.

Comments ( 6 )

:raritystarry:

That is all. Because this story robs me of words and silences me with it's amazing display of wordsmithing!

yay finnaly new update. thanks!

Really glad to see story update, and more coming into it. Four dresses... Can't help but think Luna wants Rarity to make herself a dress, so they can attend the Gala as a set. :) I know the story seems to be mostly focusing on Celestia and Rarity... and now Luna, but I would like to see the others reactions, including Luna's own, slightly neurotic, pretty purple princess. =o And what her reaction is to her friend dating her mentor.

Wow, I’d forgotten what this even was when it popped up in my feed, so it was a sweet surprise! The Twiluna doubly so.:twilightsmile: Good peek into Rarity’s creative process.

Wow. I'm speechless, this is a wonderful bit of storytelling, and of two of my favorite pairings in one story? Bravo!

Hrm... I'm not sure how I feel about this. The whole "sundress" concept is slowly taking over the top slot in my Shipping Head Cannon (tm) from both "Tuna" and "Twilestia" - and that's a big thing to do.

Login or register to comment