• Published 5th Sep 2017
  • 4,327 Views, 54 Comments

Radiance - Carapace



A nighttime gathering brings the promise of smiles and idle chatter, an inescapable web for Princess Celestia. This night, however, brings forth an opportunity for companionship she lacked since the start of her lonely reign.

  • ...
19
 54
 4,327

1. The First In an Age

Royal purple eyes tracked the tiny bubbles floating to the surface of her champagne. The arcane energies of the shimmering gold aura surrounding the glass flute played such delightful games with the sweet, pale yellow drink.

A wry smile tugged at Celestia’s lips. My mother would scold me terribly and tell me to act my age and stop playing with my drink. And Luna would laugh while pulling faces behind her.

But how exactly was a mare as old as Celestia, Princess of the Day and Herald of the Sun, meant to act when so profoundly bored? It certainly wasn’t as though she could simply will entertainment forth!

Well, she could. Typically. But not tonight. Just this once, as promised.

A thousand curses in as many tongues ran through her mind as she stood surrounded by mares and stallions, each of them dressed in smart tuxedos and splendorous dresses, every one of them doing their best to catch her attention and steal her ear about some various policies, proposals, and upcoming legislation. It was all about making friends with the right ponies—namely, herself and Luna, who had sidled off to converse with a small group of artists and musicians while Celestia entertained the nobles. A far cry from the warm, friendly affair Fancy Pants had so wanted.

This was meant to be a social gathering, not a political one.

Yet here she was.

Something needed to happen.

She scanned the crowd until she found her sister. Her beautiful starry mane and midnight blue coat stood out among the veritable sea of colorful ponies. A smile spread across her face as she watched Luna laugh and converse with Octavia Melody, a rather famed cellist, and her girlfriend, a mare of wild blue mane and eggshell white coat, who appeared to be signing something about a fish in a pitcher of tea and Octavia shrieking like a banshee.

A wonderful tale, to be sure. The Matron of the Arts was in her element at long last.

The Herald, meanwhile, found herself wishing for some excitement. Anything would do.

Why, oh why had she let Raven wheedle a promise to behave out of her? No antics, no inviting somepony along as her plus one just to “spice up the night.” No, no, her ever-faithful mare-in-waiting demanded Celestia behave while she enjoyed a night off. A well-deserved night off, truly.

Behave, she thought, her smile straining. Perhaps Raven might be my mother reincarnated. She does seem to know me better than any of the others who came before her.

Her eyes flitted about the room. Where in Equestria had Fancy disappeared to? The silly foal had invited her, after all. One could think after all those years bouncing him on her knee while discussing charity events with his mother, he would be at the side of his proverbial—ah, there he was! Chatting it up with a pair of mares. How very typical of him.

The naughty foal stood with his loving wife, Fleur de Lis, at his right side. The mare was garbed in a dress of splendid lavender with a soft pink sash that complemented her gorgeous mane around her waist. Before them was another mare with an eggshell-white coat and royal purple mane which flowed into perfect curls—a natural beauty, if Celestia could be so bold as to say. A sapphire dress which sparkled in the light flowed from her delicate shoulders like a waterfall of color and trailed off into soft silk that spilled onto the floor. It was perfect. Every detail of her beauty was highlighted by her dress. Every motion, every turn brought on another wave of sparkles across her body. Its radiance matched only by the brightness of her smile and those dazzling sapphire eyes.

Oh, by the heavens, those eyes.

Rarity had always been beautiful inside and out. But tonight …

Well, it was as though the proverbial spotlight shone down upon her. She took to it with little effort more than a toss of her mane and bell-like laugh.

Immaculate white feathers fluffed as ancient eyelids lowered into a contented, half-lidded gaze. A sense of warmth and desire filled her chest and built into a little hum in the back of her throat, the first time she’d felt like this since the first days of Canterlot’s founding. Any other evening, Celestia would have been delighted to have her company. If only they weren’t confined to such a … stuffy affair. All respect due to Fancy, of course.

An idea hit her like a bolt of lightning. The little hum deepened an octave. I only promised Raven I wouldn’t cause something to happen, she mused as she began to leave her tagalongs with an apology and excuse that she needed to speak with their host. Her eyes left Rarity for little more than an instant, but it felt far too long for her taste. All the while, the first seeds of a wonderful plan sprouted.

Never did she promise Raven not to slip away to enjoy another’s company.

Celestia escaped the crowd with practiced grace and made her way over to Fancy, Fleur, and Rarity, her golden horseshoes clicking against the tile floor with each step. She willed her feathers to unfluff and resume their relaxed state. It would hardly do to approach the group like the starstruck filly she might have been over a millennium ago. A coy smile and half-lidded eyes served as her mask. With every step, her hips swayed and turned opposite her flowing rainbow tail, a little dance she once performed so well to draw the eyes of stallions and mares the world over.

Princess or not, one could hardly fault her. She was the near-immortal ruler of her own little paradise, not dead.

“Fancy Pants, you wicked stallion,” she drawled as she snuck up behind him. Celestia allowed herself a tiny snort at the way he jolted and turned, so much like he would in his younger years. He offered a coltish smile, not one bit dimmed by the test of time. “You invite me to a party only to slip away and leave me surrounded. What ever would your mother say?”

He didn’t miss a beat. “My mother would no doubt chide me for leaving your side,” Fancy replied with a twinkle in his eye. “However, I should note that a stallion can hardly be faulted for wishing to speak with his wife and entertain a dear friend. I understand you know Miss Rarity quite well.”

“Quite well indeed. I do believe she has saved our land alongside my former student enough times that I may call us friends.”

On cue, Rarity dipped into a curtsey. “You’re far too kind, Princess,” she demurred in contrast to the gleam in those sapphire eyes. “I’m but a humble dressmaker who creates what she believes to bring out the best in her customers. I should hardly dare to call us friends, lest the public think me to be some sort of social climber.” A champagne flute wrapped in a bubbling sapphire glow floated to her lips. “I like to think I learned my lesson from years passed.”

Ah, the games of socialites. Really, Celestia found them tiresome at worst, but with those few she knew well enough, they could be so much more. Wordplay and trickery was a game she and Luna had so loved in their fillyhood days.

“True, but as we both know, ponies will always gossip.” Celestia gave a warm smile. “And from what I hear, you do enjoy such things yourself, no?”

Rarity had the grace to raise a hoof in imitation of a fencer’s salute. “True, true.”

“Then I, at least, consider us friends. Regardless of the gossip it may cause.”

At Fancy’s side, Fleur trilled a note. “Perhaps we might allow you two a moment to converse in private, non?” she offered with a sly smile. “If our guests see the four of us together, it will be mere minutes before we are all surrounded.”

Fancy took a moment to adjust his monocle. “Indeed, my love. If you’ll excuse us, Princess—” he bowed to her, then offered a slightly lesser one to Rarity “—Miss Rarity.”

Celestia assented with a nod, smiling as the young colt she once watched over trotted away with his wife close by his side. “That colt,” she said loud enough for Rarity to hear, “hasn’t changed a bit in all the years I’ve known him. Age aside, of course.”

“Oh?” Rarity tittered. “Pray tell, just what was he like at my age? Or younger, dare I ask? I imagine quite the popular colt with the fillies with his silver tongue.”

“You’ve no idea. Many fillies tried to win his attention, but he only ever had eyes for one.” She nodded in the direction of Fleur de Lis. “Would you believe it if I told you that Fleur would scarcely give him the time of day when they first met?”

“No! Why, they’re the perfect couple!”

A laugh bubbled forth from Celestia’s chest. “Today, yes, but it took him quite a bit of effort to win her favor. She thought him some fool who saw nothing but skin-deep beauty in a young model. But, eventually, she found his affections and attention had only some focus on her appearance.” The corners of her mouth twitched. “He loved her wit, even when directed at him. Especially so, I think.”

Rarity let out another bell-like laugh, a sweet sound that filled Celestia’s ears and brought that warm feeling back again. “Oh, dear, he really hasn’t changed then! She still chides him like a foal!”

“I believe it. As I said, little has changed.” Celestia paused to sip at her champagne. “How have you enjoyed the party?”

To her surprise, Rarity’s smile faltered a touch. “It isn’t quite what I expected when Fancy mentioned a social event,” she replied carefully, as if worried she might offend Fancy Pants with the mere notion. “It seems a bit more reminiscent of …”

“The first Gala you attended?” Celestia supplied.

Rarity’s cheeks tinged a dusty pink. “I was trying to find a way to put it delicately.”

“There’s no need for that. I was thinking much the same thing myself.” With a sigh, she took a step to her left so her face was shielded from her ponies, and leveled Rarity with a tired gaze. “Might I confide in you a moment?”

The younger mare blinked. “I … I suppose that would be all right, Princess,” Rarity replied slowly. “How might I help?”

Celestia cast a fervent glance around the room. “I was hoping for something a little different as well, something a bit less formal so I could actually talk with ponies rather than the usual fare. Not that I hold anything against the, ah, nobility, but …” Another sigh and shake of her head. “I suppose what I mean to ask, if I could stop beating around the bush for a minute—something of a habit at such events, I fear.”

“A function of talking at such events,” Rarity countered with a smile.

Snorting, Celestia nodded. “True enough. What I mean to ask, quite simply, is whether you might like to find somewhere else to talk.”

Those gorgeous sapphire eyes blinked back at her, confusion written plain upon her face. “You mean leave?” Rarity glanced nervously in the direction Fancy and Fleur had trotted off to. “Won’t they be offended?”

“Hardly. Fancy will at most ask us to dine with him in a more private setting.” She waved Rarity off. “And I know just the pony who owes me several times over for covering for past absences.” Pausing in thought a moment, she coughed and glanced down at her flute. “If you wish, of course.”

For a moment, Rarity hesitated. She bit her bottom lip and gave her tail a nervous little flick. Her ears drooped, then perked up. The left one flicked toward the crowd as a wave of laughter sounded behind Celestia. Fancy was in his element, no doubt, entertaining his public.

And, coincidentally, leaving them the chance to stand together and chat for a moment, and plan a possible escape into Canterlot nightlife.

She could see the conflict in Rarity’s eyes. On one hoof, her desire to be a good guest and enjoy the company of the Canterlot elite she once so longed to be a part of, the same ponies who had, and in some cases soon would, be her clientele at her Canterlot Boutique. But on the other …

Rarity could dress and tidy herself up all she liked, but she was a Ponyville mare. A Ponyville mare who loved to spend time with her friends and loved ones. In general, she was a mare who knew how to enjoy a good time, albeit of a bit more refined nature. Though with her tastes, Canterlot was the right place for such a thing.

Celestia couldn’t help but try to sweeten the deal. “There is a rather lovely Mexicolt restaurant overlooking the city from the edge of Platinum Park. Have you ever heard of La Joya de la Montaña?”

Those alabaster ears perked. “That’s supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Canterlot!” she gasped, earning a nod of assent. “But that … Princess, if I might, they’ll be filled wall to wall with reservations at this hour!”

“True,” Celestia mused with a playful rustle of her wings. A sense of giddiness filled her chest with butterflies. “Unless you’ve known the proprietary family since its founding and have a table permanently set aside, of course.”

A bright grin spread across Rarity’s face, lighting up Celestia’s world in ways she only wished her sun could. “Well, with such a generous invitation and wonderful company—” she paused to drain the last remnants of her champagne, then set it down atop a tray held by a passing waiter “—how can I refuse?”

If ever a pony could glow like the sun, Celestia would wager her crown she could take wing and brighten the night sky by her lonesome. Placing her own flute atop the water’s tray, she turned to lead Rarity out of the ballroom. Her eyes, meanwhile, found Luna.

Her little sister looked over at that very instant, as if she could sense Celestia searching her out. Teal eyes met royal purple and held a silent gaze for a mere few seconds.

Then Celestia glanced to Rarity and back, flicking her right ear. Their little sign.

The corners of Luna’s mouth twitched. She inclined her head a mere fraction of a hint, the return sign. Permission granted.

Celestia resumed her silent escape, humming as Rarity’s shoulder brushed against her leg. The younger mare had to nearly jog to keep up with her brisk canter. As they passed Fancy and his guests, she made eye contact with him and gave the same signal she’d given Luna.

His eyes widened and flitted between herself and Rarity. An amused smile made its way to his lips and his eyes shone with mirth as he inclined his head in reply, just like Luna. However, he mouthed a single word. The same she used to mouth when he would slip away with Fleur:

“Behave.”

Behave? Her?

Celestia waited until she was just about to disappear behind the wall, then stuck out her tongue.

Behave.

The very nerve of that colt. She was older than Canterlot itself!

She would misbehave to her heart’s content if she damn well pleased.


La Joya de la Montaña had been owned by Salsa Ranchera’s family since her six or seven-times great grandmother, Salsa Verde, first opened it in the fourth century of Celestia’s solo reign over Equestria.

It was decorated in traditional Mexicolt design—beige walls with figures from the famed Manada del Sol’s beautiful culture painted upon the walls, flowers of vibrant pink, crimson, and soft blues filled the hanging planters and spilled out as if reaching down to tease the patrons’ manes. A lovely balcony with black metal railing overlooked the city, a showcase of beautiful lights that made it an almost perfect spot to dine with good company. The four tables outside were occupied already, of course. There were a premium. Nearly impossible to reserve.

Nearly, unless you happened to know the family. The balcony was only almost perfect by virtue of the private balcony accessible only when Salsa unlocked the polished wooden door and led Celestia and whomever she deigned to dine with down the short hallway, passed all the pictures and paintings of family members past and living, then left through the wrought iron gate and onto the stone floor of the balcony itself. At the center of the balcony, directly atop the image of her blazing sun painted into the stone some century or so ago, stood a circular table big enough for two and a pair of cushioned chairs she knew to be far more comfortable than her own throne.

All in all, it felt like home, like she was in her own suite in the castle, but with her favorite view in all the land.

Rarity took the seat opposite her with a flourish and an elegant sweep of her dress. The curls of her tail bobbed with the move, drawing Celestia’s eye.

Another appreciative hum built in her chest as she took her own. She muttered their drink orders to Salsa Ranchera out of the side of her mouth, then turned to Rarity. “Would you like to see a menu, or would you prefer I order for both of us?”

A glint shone in Rarity’s eyes. “I’m curious as to what you might recommend. This was, after all, your suggestion, Princess.”

Princess. So formal. Celestia flicked her tail. That would have to be taken care of in short order. With a single nod, she turned to relay her usual order to Salsa: chips and salsa for an appetizer, then winter squash enchiladas for the main course. For dessert, well, they would have to see about dessert.

One or two things come to mind, she thought as Salsa bowed and turned to walk away. After Salsa returned with drinks and assurances that their food would be ready shortly, she left once more and left them alone to enjoy their evening together.

Alone at last with proper company. In the form of a beautiful mare, no less. Celestia felt like a filly all over again.

Wreathing her cup in her magic, she brought it to her lips, savoring the taste of true Mexicolt alcohol. “Have you ever dined at a Mexicolt restaurant, Rarity?” she asked. “Not a particularly intuitive question, but I am a curious mare.”

Rarity shook her head as she raised her own glass, eyeing it a moment. “I can’t say I have, Princess. My tastes typically trend toward the Prench or Istallion cuisine. On occasion, I do enjoy Neighponese food as well.”

“Istallion? Ah, perhaps we could dine at Cavalcanter’s together another night. He—well, they have the best sauces I’ve ever tasted outside of Istallia itself and Cadence’s cooking. If you find it agreeable, of course.”

“Cavalcanter’s too?” the mare practically purred. Her eyelids drooped, she fixed Celestia with a teasing, half-lidded look that made her pristine feathers twitch. “Why, Princess, if you keep throwing such names out, I’ll simply swoon! Don’t tell me you have private tables at all the well-to-do restaurants across the land?”

Celestia laughed and shook her head. “I’m sure if I wanted, I could have them upon request, but no. Only the older ones here.” With a shrug of her shoulders, she finished off the last of her drink, then set it aside. Salsa would be back with a couple glasses of tea once the food came out. She knew Celestia limited her alcohol in public. “They’ve served as my favored dining spots over many, many centuries. And I suppose there is a measure of gratitude since I was the one who allotted the properties for business back then. Now it’s up to the municipalities.”

Humming, Rarity sipped at her drink. “I see. Well, I suppose that only makes sense. It’s a similar feeling to how Ponyville hurries to prepare everything for your visits, and how the Apple Family is particularly insistent on making sure everything is perfect.”

A snort escaped before Celestia could bring it under control. “True. I will say, I don’t think I’ve ever had my drink filled so quickly before or since Mrs. Cake served me tea. How is she?”

“Quite well, though a bit more busy now that she’s raising twins. Pinkie Pie has been helping her out quite a lot in that, though, so I believe they’ve managed to balance things.”

“Ah, parenting. Always a challenge ponies overlook until it comes to be their time.” A teasing smile played upon her lips. “I will confess, I long looked forward to seeing my niece share the struggle of a foal of her own power. Raising her after the adoption was no easy task.”

“Oh?” Rarity tilted her head. “How so?”

Celestia arched a brow. “You have a little sister, I believe. Has she ever used her magic out of anger? Or to get her way?” At Rarity’s nod, she smiled. “Imagine an alicorn with Cadence’s talent losing control because of a bout of temper, then imagine how difficult it was for her to learn it after she spent her formative years as a pegasus, where wearing one’s heart on their shoulder has been the way since before Commander Hurricane’s days.”

A shudder ran through the younger mare’s body. Rarity shook her head. “Forgive me, but I don’t envy either of you.”

“There’s no need. I don’t envy her. Just know that all parental and familial curses are real.” Celestia grinned and waggled her ears. “I told Cadence she would have one just like her. Now that she has, I get to play doting great-aunt and watch her deal with alicorn-sized foal tantrums. The debt has been paid with interest, as it were.”

To her surprise, Rarity leaned in, grinning wickedly. “I don’t suppose you put the same such—ah—curse on Twilight?”

Celestia shook her head. “Heavens no. Twilight was perfectly well-behaved while under my tutelage. Besides—” she raised her brows “—Cadence was an orphan whom I adopted. Far be it from me to take the sacred right of the parental curse from Night Light and Twilight Velvet, regardless of how close to family I may be.”

“Well, you technically are now that Princess Cadence has married Shining Armor, Princess.”

“Ah.” She raised her hoof in return to the gesture from earlier. “Fair point, yes. I suppose I could if she weren’t so well behaved. That aside, there is one issue I feel we must address.”

Rarity blinked. “What might that be?”

“Call me Celestia.”

Again, the mare blinked. “Pardon?”

Celestia leaned in close. “Call me Celestia,” she said slowly, carefully annunciating each syllable. “I invited you to dinner because I wanted to spend time with you as Celestia and Rarity—” she ignored her feathers’ fluffing “—not as princess and subject. We had enough of that back at the party, I think.”

For the second time that evening, Celestia could see conflicting sides war behind Rarity’s eyes. This time, however, she made no move to sweeten any deal or sway Rarity’s decision.

All she did was smile and wait, and watch as those pearly white cheeks tinged rosy red.

So good to know that giving permission for a mare to forgo my title is as flattering now as it was when I last courted.

Slowly, hesitantly, Rarity nodded. She bit her bottom lip as if to hide a smile, more the picture of a filly before a crush than the refined beauty of a mare she truly was. “Okay,” she said softly, the tips of her ears turned the same shade of red as her cheeks, “Celestia.”

Celestia did her best to limit her joy to a small satisfied smile. At last. “You see? Isn’t that better?”

At that moment, Salsa returned with a tray ladened with two cups of iced tea and chips and salsa. The scents of tomatoes, peppers, and spices brought forth a contented smile. Good food and good company always went well together.


After a lovely dinner at La Joya, Celestia invited Rarity on a walk through the Royal Gardens. To her delight, the mare accepted with a gleam in her eyes and a bright smile.

“I heard the gardens were quite lovely this time of year,” Rarity said as they entered, her eyes wandering about freely to take in the literal rainbow of colors displayed by the warm glow of flickering torchlight.

Tulips, marigolds, violets, bluebells, snapdragons, roses of white, red, and pink, carnations, tiger lilies, even Luna’s favored night lilies surrounded them on their walk. Celestia’s eyes, however, were not on the lovely flowers or friendly birds and woodland creatures who scuttled about in the branches of oak trees far older than Ponyville, peeking out to look at the new visitor to their home. They all seemed to relax when they noticed how closely she walked beside their most frequent visitor over the years, a sentiment shared by the princess herself.

Each brush of delicate shoulder against her leg, or hip against her thigh sent tingles across her skin. Every brush of the regal curls of her purple mane and wafting of sweet vanilla perfume made her feathers twitch and fluff. Each accidental brush of her tail, a flirt against alabaster thighs, coaxed a sharp breath and swish of ethereal rainbow tail, and a sway of her hips.

Oh, by the heavens, it had been more than an age since the last.

But Celestia played it “cool,” as the young ponies would say. Though her heart fluttered like a filly for her first crush, she kept her strides even and the hint of an airy tremble out of her voice as she replied, “I would wholeheartedly agree. I find myself visiting more often when dealing with particularly vexing matters of state, or preparing for a visit from our … friends from Yakyakistan.”

The comment drew a laugh. “Oh, goodness! Not a fan of the, er, charming ambassador?”

Celestia stopped in her tracks, turning slowly to fix her with a flat stare. The image was ruined by the slightest twitch at the right corner of her mouth. “Would you like to host the Yak delegation in my stead?” she drawled.

“I’m afraid I must respectfully decline,” Rarity replied without missing a beat. A bead of sweat rolled down her cheek and fell to stain her lovely dress. Her smile was practically plastic. “Nothing against our friends from the distant north, but I have very delicate fabrics, materials, and tools around my boutique, and I couldn’t possibly expect them to alter their … er …” she trailed off, her ears alternated between drooping and standing up straight as if to hide her discomfort. “Unique culture.”

“Then you understand my struggle.” With a chuckle, she steered Rarity left at the fork in the path, leading her along the hedge grove and through a trail framed by stone statues of Equestria’s heroes and heroines long passed. Heading in the direction of their goal. “Have you enjoyed your visit?”

Rarity glanced up, a genuine smile returned to grace her beautiful face once more. “Though the party wasn’t quite what I expected and the evening wasn’t at all what I planned, yes.” Her tail swished merrily. “I’ve quite enjoyed this. It reminds me a lot of that evening you joined us at Pony Joe’s. After the Gala.”

“Ah, yes. That was quite the evening.” She chuckled at the memory. Six miserable mares and one bored drake sitting in that tiny doughnut shop, trying to bury their sorrows beneath a mountain of sugar. “I must say, I have enjoyed seeing your ensembles make their way to Canterlot since then. Your work certainly has grown over the years, though I must say I found your pieces from that evening to be among my favorites.”

“Really?” Her ears perked. “Which were your favorites?”

“Oh, well, I am biased toward my student, so we’ll exclude her just this once.” Casting a sly wink, she continued, “I must say, I found the color scheme for yours quite intriguing.”

Those pearly white ears twitched. Eagerness shone naked in her eyes. “Might I ask why?”

“Of course. While I do love the sapphire dress you’ve made for yourself tonight, and I daresay purple would have heads turning for the chance to glimpse your beauty as you trotted by …” she trailed off to smile at Rarity and savor the returning rosy hue in those cheeks. Oh, and right across her nose as well. Then she tossed her mane and tilted her head back, gazing at Rarity out of the corner of her eye. “I found the choice fuschia and cream yellow color palate quite interesting. Innovative, of course, as one would expect purple or blue, but I found your Gala dress did a wonderful job in highlighting the care you put into brushing your coat and the way light seemed to caress your mane like silk.”

If the little blush Rarity had sported before was cute, the way it bloomed across her face and spread down her neck, to her very collarbone was positively delightful. Celestia threw back her head and laughed, unfurling her right wing just enough to offer a comforting caress of downy feathers.

It had been far too long since she’d felt like this. Far too long since she’d had so much fun.

They crossed a small wooden bridge that stood over the narrow mouth leading from a bubbling fountain and charmingly innovative filtration system into the crown jewel of the gardens—in her humble opinion, at least. The pond.

The lazy glow of a single torch bathed a dozen or so feet of water in a warm orange light. While not as widely known, Celestia loved to come out and spend a few quiet moments each day with her fish friends. Philomena adored them as well, sometimes chasing them around, swooping over the water as if to snatch one out, and trilling out her song as they darted this way and that, like she was herding them into an underwater rainbow for Celestia’s benefit.

Though, knowing Philomena, that could well be the case.

Tonight, there was no Philomena. Only herself and Rarity, and a small pond full of fish from the tiniest of minnows nibbling in the shallows, to the quartet of ancient and gorgeous koi, the crown gem of her little paradise.

A short distance away, there was a swirl of water and merry splash, then a flash of orange-red and white scales as one came near the surface to get a look at their visitors.

Rarity let out a gasp, a hoof leapt to cover her mouth. “Is that …”

“Koi from the Sea of Neighpon? Yes.” Celestia gestured for Rarity to join her in sitting on the soft grass just a short trot from the bank. “They were a gift from an old friend nearly thirty years ago.”

“Thirty years? Really?” Rarity leaned forward to peer into the depths of the pond. Her brows knitted together and ears swiveled forward. “I had heard tell that koi could live for great lengths of time, but isn’t that a bit long for a fish?”

“Koi have been known to live incredibly long lives. I believe there was a story once of a koi in a rather important governor’s private pond—his name escapes me—which lived to see one hundred. Another, I recall, was owned by Minister Suzumebachi. She claimed it had been with her family for two hundred before it finally passed on.”

“Two hundred years? My word!”

Chuckling, Celestia nodded. “Indeed. Quite the impressive feat.” She peered into the water, a wry smile playing upon her lips as she noticed the koi settling just at the edge of the shallows, lazily drifting back and forth. “It seems they’re giving us a little space. But curious enough to investigate.”

Rarity hummed. “A pity. I was curious to see them a little more closely. Although …” She leaned closer, an odd glint shone in her eyes. “Their scales are such a lovely shade, like fire, actually.”

Celestia stayed silent, watching as Rarity considered the koi for a moment, then slowly turned to gaze back at her. Then back to the pond.

“That shade,” Rarity murmured, “may actually … nevermind.”

“Oh, come now.” Celestia nudged Rarity’s shoulder with the edge of her wing. “Don’t hold me in suspense. Share your thoughts. We’re talking as Celestia and Rarity tonight, remember?”

A nervous smile tugged at Rarity’s lips, but disappeared after an instant. Her ears flicked. “I was just thinking,” she said, a touch of hesitance in her tone, “that you would look positively—” she swallowed “—positively radiant. In that color. More radiant than the sun itself.”

It had been far too long since the last time another mare made butterflies flutter in her chest, or made her cheeks flush at some praise. Practically an eternity.

Another lifetime.

Celestia leaned in close so their noses nearly touched. Her feathers trailed across Rarity’s back, coaxing a shuddering gasp from those soft lips as she wrapped a wing around her shoulders. “I’m afraid,” she whispered, “there is already a mare more radiant than the sun. However …” She tilted her head to the side and parted her lips, her eyelids fluttered closed in almost perfect synch with Rarity’s.

Those soft lips pressed against hers. She dared to trail her tongue along them, moving to cup Rarity’s cheeks. A tingle of pleasure danced beneath her coat, billowed into a full wave her belly and sent a warmth beneath her tail which spurred a sensuous swish. The tip teased Rarity’s thigh.

Rarity gasped into the kiss. Her back arched and ears slowly pinned back as she melted into it, opening her mouth to invite Celesita’s tongue into a sensuous, entwining dance within. Every inch was explored, both prodded, teased, and massaged until the smaller mare practically pressed herself against Celestia’s belly and threw her hooves around her neck.

They parted, panting for breath. Their eyes locked with one another as slow, satisfied smiles spread across their faces.

“Where were you planning on staying this evening?” Celestia asked, nuzzling her nose.

Sapphire eyes fluttered shut. “F-Fancy invited me to stay in his home.”

Such a generous colt. Celestia kissed her nose. “I’ll send word to him. You can stay with me tonight.” Her voice dipped an octave. “In my room, if you would like.”

It had been far too long since her last. Far too long since she held a blushing, squirming lover in her embrace.

But it was worth every second.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed this, as it was a bit of a new experience writing from Celestia's POV. Please check out some of my other works and, if you're feeling generous, consider becoming a patron.