• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 4,087 Views, 10,172 Comments

Lateral Movement - Alzrius



Having been granted rulership over the city of Vanhoover, and confessed their feelings for each other, Lex Legis and Sonata Dusk have started a new life together. But the challenges of rulership, and a relationship, are more than they bargained for.

  • ...
36
 10,172
 4,087

PreviousChapters Next
790 - Show and Teleport

“So you heard the Keeper chanting outside, and thought he was doing something to Teyu?”

Mystaria nodded in response to Lex’s question, pausing to swallow a mouthful of honey-glazed plums before answering. “That’s mostly right. We actually heard Littleknight meeping first, and then Teyu barking. Then we heard the Keeper scolding them, and it was as we went outside to check that we heard him start chanting.”

“We think he was – oh wow! Valor, have some of these! – trying to do something to him. Teyu, I mean,” added Spinner, passing a bowl of sugared grapes to her friend. “No idea what, but it probably wasn’t good if Littleknight was worried about it.”

“Since we thought he might be trying to do something to disrupt your ceremony, we tried to stop him,” added Valor, taking the offered confection as she paused to gulp down a mugful of blueberry-flavored water, letting out a loud belch as she finished. “But since we couldn’t actually see anything, it didn’t go very well.”

“I still don’t understand where that giant spike came from,” muttered Shadow, shooting a suspicious glare at the quill Lex was holding, Thermal Draft still held aloft in his telekinetic aura. “I get that it somehow got lodged in the Keeper’s eye socket-”

“Trying to eat, here!” announced Spinner with a grimace.

“-but what I want to know is how.”

“...it’s not important,” decided Lex, taking his eyes off of the weapon, instead glancing at where Teyu was curled up, sleeping off the meal he’d just eaten. “It’s unlikely that whatever the Keeper was doing would have worked anyway.”

Woodheart looked up from where she was cuddling Littleknight, rubbing the almiraj’s belly as she fed him caramelized raspberries. “Why?”

“Does this have something to do with what Akna mentioned before, about the whole ritual thing he did being a sham?” added Spinner.

“For a sham, it got some serious results,” muttered Valor, looking Lex up and down.

“These results had nothing to do with the Keeper,” snorted Lex, taking a dried pear slice and looking it over. Taking a bite, he resisted the urge to wince. While sugary things had never been amenable to his palate, something that mild shouldn’t have been overly disagreeable. But although the dried pear had little in the way of sweetness, it was all he could do not to gag at the taste now; his new body, it seemed, had less even less tolerance for sacchariferous fare than his old one. “It was entirely due to the nature of the planar aperture that Akna and I entered, and the circumstances that we encountered on the other side of it. The actions the Keeper took prior to us going in had no effect on that whatsoever.”

“And that would have been the same for Teyu?” prompted Mystaria.

Lex nodded. “I believe so. The Keeper’s madness seems to manifest as an outsized sense of his own capabilities, as well as an inflated estimation of his own importance.”

Smirking behind her mask, Shadow opened her mouth, but before she could make a cutting remark a sugared grape hit her between the eyes. “Hush, you,” chided Valor.

Ignoring the earth mares’ antics, Lex continued. “Given that the Keeper has used his time here to verse himself in the Night Mare’s religious traditions” – likely due to his having little to do except read the Auctoritas Caliginous, Lex knew – “my guess is that, while he’s clearly able to perform ceremonial invocations, he thinks it’s entirely due to the Night Mare holding him in high esteem, and that the use of religious paraphernalia, the presence of his acolytes, and other supporting activities are purely ancillary in nature, rather than being necessary for those rites to function.”

“So in other words,” chimed in Spinner, “the Keeper really can do a bunch of impressive stuff, but he thinks that it all comes from the Night Mare thinking he’s a celebrity, rather than the fact that he’s just putting on a show for her?”

The analogy made Lex sigh. “Close enough.”

Smirking, she took a bite of a chocolate-covered banana. “I’ve known some bards like that. An impressive instrument and a few flashy spells, and suddenly they think they’re as handsome as a devil and have the voice of an angel.”

“And he went after Teyu because he saw that you’d bullied the rest of his freaks into submission,” snorted Shadow. “Which means this was all about a stallion trying to assuage their wounded pride. Why am I not surprised?”

“I think it’s kind of nice that this Keeper fellow makes all those creatures smarter, though,” added Woodheart, petting Littleknight’s belly as the horned rabbit finished his meal. “Back home, the hierophant would do that for some of the animals in the forest. That was how new initiates would learn to respect nature; you wouldn’t want to throw a rock at a squirrel if it would tell on you later!”

“They don’t sound as bad as the sisters at the Atheneum Arcane,” chuckled Mystaria. “If you got caught dog-earing a book, you had to assist the scribes for a week, transcribing everything from old dictionaries to donated journals of retired adventurers.”

“You’ll have quite the journal to donate yourself someday, Mysty. Especially after the last couple of days,” added Valor.

“And before you say anything, Shadow, yes, that does assume we’re all going to live through this,” cut in Spinner, giving the masked mare a wry look.

But Shadow shook her head at the filidh’s remark. “I wasn’t going to suggest otherwise,” she answered in a voice completely devoid of humor as she glanced at Woodheart, before looking at each of her friends in turn. “We’re all going home together. Even if we have to fight our way through every yeti, hag, troll, and other monster in this frozen wasteland.”

“That will not be necessary,” announced Lex, standing up as he pushed the remainder of his portion of the food away, only half-eaten. “Once you’ve finished eating, I’m sending you back to the village where I met you.”

Dead silence fell over the mares of Fail Forward at that.

Spinner was the first to recover. “You said what now?”

“Lex,” began Mystaria, keeping her voice carefully restrained. “That village is roughly a week away, through heavy snow and a monster-infested forest.”

“Not to mention the very real chance that Grisela and her kin are waiting outside to ambush us,” added Valor.

“And did you forget that we’re not exactly the adlets’ favorite ponies right now?” huffed Shadow. “You’ve already messed up their shaman’s soul. If they think we were part of that and then skipped out on them, the next invasion those villagers suffer will be from them!”

Lex shook his head. “I will settle things with the adlets. Without killing them,” he added, eyes flickering in Woodheart’s direction for a fraction of an instant. “And I’ll deal with Grisela and the rest of her twisted family. But I won’t allow any of you to be placed in further danger as part of that.”

Spinner leaned back. “So help me, if whatever you’re planning involves a trip to the Night Mare’s realm...”

“Of course not,” replied Lex with a sneer. “One of the spells I’ve readied allows for a group of ponies to undertake a short-range teleportation. I’m going to feed additional power through it, hypothetically increasing the distance it can cover, in order to send you all back.”

“‘Hypothetically’?” echoed Valor.

“I’m sorry, how exactly are you able to boost the spell’s range like that?” added Mystaria.

“Mysty,” warned Shadow in a low voice, also rising to her hooves. “The last time you asked him about his magic, he lost it, remember?”

Despite not being directed at him, the admonishment made Lex grit his teeth, but he forced himself to remain calm. Mystaria had already seen through his attempt to keep the deficiency behind his thaumaturgical spellcasting secret. For that matter, so had Toklo, who by now had likely told his entire tribe. Which meant that to keep that particular weakness under wraps was at best pointless, and at worse counterproductive, since he needed Fail Forward to go along with what he was proposing.

But that didn’t make it any easier for him to admit to something he’d been trying to keep hidden from everyone – even the ponies dearest to him – for so long.

“The nature of my thaumaturgical magic is...complicated,” he said slowly, forcing himself to meet Mystaria’s eyes. “I can prepare arcane spells in the same manner that you do, via the construction of thought-forms which hold the requisite energy necessary to actualize them.”

Scowling as he caught himself hesitating to continue, Lex forced himself to keep speaking. “I didn’t learn how to do this from anyone else; I designed the entire system from the ground up when I was a colt. However, I have yet to find an operational methodology capable of compressing that energy to the point where it can be contained within a conceptual framework without the assistance of an externalized tool or device.”

Several pairs of eyes turned to Mystaria then, waiting for her to translate what Lex had just said. The mare in question furrowed her brow, lips moving silently as she parsed what she’d just been told. “You mean...you were trying to come up with a way to prepare spells, arcane spells, without a spellbook?”

Lex nodded curtly.

“So, like a sorcerer?” ventured Spinner. “They can cast all kinds of arcane magic without studying it.”

“That’s not the same,” answered Mystaria immediately. “Sorcerers only know a few spells, which are determined by their biological heritage. They actually gather the energy via subtle mutations in their physical form, including spell patterns in their brains which-, no, it doesn’t matter.”

Shaking her head as she forced herself to concentrate on what Lex had just told her, Mystaria licked her lips before speaking again. “So, you came up with a way to build the mental architecture of arcane spellcasting all on your own – which I have to tell you is unbelievable, especially since you did it as a colt! – but you’re saying you can’t actually prepare those spells, right?”

“Except he clearly can, since we’ve all seen him do it,” snorted Shadow. “So what’s the big deal?”

“The ‘big deal’,” spat Lex, giving the masked mare a dark look. “Is that if the concentration of energy in the local area is great enough-”

“Then you wouldn’t need to worry about condensing to the point of fitting it into an abstract format, because it would already be sufficiently dense!” finished Mystaria, her eyes lighting up as she saw what Lex was getting at. But her excitement faded a moment later. “But in its ambient state, that wouldn’t happen naturally.”

“On the contrary, it does happen naturally,” countered Lex. “Exactly four times a year, during the solstices and equinoxes.”

Valor cocked her head. “You’re saying magic gets easier to cast during those days?”

“In the forest, we celebrate the turning of the seasons, but I’ve never heard of magic becoming easier to use when that happens,” added Woodheart.

“I’m not surprised,” muttered Mystaria, now deeply engaged with what Lex had revealed. “Those of us who use arcane spells have standardized preparatory devices via our spellbooks. It wouldn’t matter if the ambient amount of magical energy had swelled; their inscriptions are designed only to gather a set amount of power necessary for each particular spell. If there was any excess, it would be naturally filtered out. Divine magic would have even less interaction, since the energy necessary to cast the spell comes from a god, rather than being gathered locally.”

“I use divine magic, and it doesn’t come from a god,” noted Woodheart wryly, causing Valor, Spinner, and Shadow to groan softly; the fact that Woodheart had godly magic despite belonging to a pagan faith that didn’t worship a deity was a point of academic frustration for Mystaria.

Fortunately, the nun-in-training was able to overlook the friendly jab. “Yes, well...the mystery of who or what is granting Woodheart’s spells aside, Lex, that means you can only renew your arcane spells four times a year?”

“Or if I have access to an artifact of extreme power,” added Lex. “Something which radiated so much magical energy that the excess alone was sufficient to prepare my spells with.”

Valor gave a soft laugh. “I imagine those aren’t exactly a dime a dozen.”

Lex ignored the quip, and Mystaria jumped in, still following her train of thought. “That explains why you’ve been so reluctant to use your arcane magic. But how does that tie into what you said about enhancing that short-range teleportation spell you have?”

“While I’m not able to prepare my arcane spells very often, I’ve developed a technique for getting additional uses out of them,” explained Lex. “Specifically, since all living creatures have an inherent degree of magic flowing through their bodies, I simply redirect mine so as to supplement a spell while I’m casting it. Depending on the rate of transfer, I can have it either replenish the energy as its being expended so as to maintain the thought-form, or expel it into the spell during its actualization so as to supplement the effect.”

Mystaria blinked once.

Then twice.

Then a third time.

Finally, she spoke.

“Are you...” She couldn’t seem to finish, swallowing before trying again. “Are you telling me that you’ve figured out a way to take the magical energy that your body gathers as a byproduct of its physical processes, and deliberately – as in, via conscious act of will – move it into conceptual structures?”

Lex shrugged. “It wasn’t that hard.”

“ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!” shrieked Mystaria, leaping up, her face twisted in an expression of incredulity. “Lex, do you have any idea how many archmages and wizard councils have tried to figure out how to do that?! I’ll give you a hint: ALL OF THEM! And you know how many have succeeded?! NONE OF THEM!”

“Mysty? Down girl,” soothed Spinner, going over and gently putting a hoof on her friend’s shoulder. “Didn’t you just say that sorcerers do that?”

Mystaria batted Spinner’s hoof away. “Not like this they don’t! I told you, sorcerers can’t choose their own spells! They just awaken to them, their brains developing micro-structures which make specific thought-forms on their own, letting their physical magical reserves flow through them!”

A crazed laugh escaped her then, causing Spinner to back away nervously. “But this guy” – Mystaria pointed at Lex then, a wild look in her eyes – “not only taught himself how to build those thought-forms via purely conceptual processes, which is the basis of wizardry, but he’s moving physical energy into them, which is the foundation of sorcery! That’s supposed to be impossible, and here he is saying it WASN’T EVEN THAT HARD?!”

“The point,” growled Lex, rapidly losing patience for Mystaria’s prolonged descent into hysterics, “is that while I haven’t actually augmented this particular spell before, my current form allows me to move larger amounts of energy into my spells than I could before. As such, my primary concern – which was trying to teleport to a destination while not being able to supply power sufficient to reach it – is largely allayed now. So I can-”

“No,” shrieked Mystaria. “That is NOT the point! The point is that you keep turning the conventions of magic on their heads! You have a familiar you shouldn’t be able to have! You deconstruct spells like they’re puzzle pieces! And now you’re casually ignoring the line between wizardry and sorcery! You can’t just act like that’s-, HEY! LET GO!”

“Everyone hang tight for a few minutes while we get Mysty straightened out,” sighed Valor, appearing at Mystaria’s right and grabbing hold of her.

“Bad enough you were just losing your mind, now you’re making our mage lose hers,” huffed Shadow, giving Lex a dark look as she took hold of Mystaria’s left.

Together, the two mares dragged her off back in the direction of the building they’d been staying in, squinting as they moved further from the light of Lex’s horn, Mystaria’s frenzied babbling accompanying them as they disappeared from sight.

“It’s been a while since this happened,” sighed Woodheart, looking at Spinner. “The last time was when we met that pony who said he could cast two spells at once, remember?”

“Yeah,” grinned Spinner. “That really drove her nuts, at least until we finally figured it out. Turned out he just had a partner who was casting the second spell while invisible, using some kind of magic wand so that he didn’t have to actually chant out loud to do it.”

The two chuckled at the memory for a few moments before the filidh turned back to Lex. “So listen, not to sound ungrateful or anything, but would it be possible for you to send us back to Viljatown instead of that snowy village where we met? You’ve been to Viljatown before, right?”

“I have, and I’m not sending you back there,” replied Lex tonelessly. “That city’s Mythril Map is a powerful teleportation device, and while I’m confident I can increase the range of my spell, I’m not risking possible interference from it.”

“...right, okay,” sighed the bard. “Well, at least we’ll be able to make our way to Bright Night and let Mysty see her grandmother. Hopefully that’ll calm her down some. And I guess if the range is a big deal, it’s better to keep it short since you’ll be sending five of us at once.”

“Six,” corrected Woodheart. “You always forget Littleknight.”

“Seven,” amended Lex. “That’s the other reason I’m sending you away.”

Spinner blinked. “Huh?”

Lex gestured to the unconscious doppelganger floating in his telekinesis. “I want you to take Thermal Draft with you, and watch over her until I return.”

Author's Note:

Lex announces his intention to send Fail Forward, and Thermal Draft, to safety while he finishes the adventure!

Is he right in his assumption that he's removing them from harm's way? Or is he making the age-old mistake of splitting the party?

PreviousChapters Next